PDA

View Full Version : The Interception that shouldn't of been: Part 2

TheDOCTORdre
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Can you guys believe the interception on the shovel pass play? At first I was like all of ya'll and thought that it was the coaches' fault for calling that play, but it really is a low risk play. After further review I blame Tre Newton, when he realized that he wasn't able to catch the ball cleanly he should have just swatted it to the ground and that would have prevented that interception

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Can you guys believe the interception on the shovel pass play? At first I was like all of ya'll and thought that it was the coaches' fault for calling that play, but it really is a low risk play. After further review I blame Tre Newton, when he realized that he wasn't able to catch the ball cleanly he should have just swatted it to the ground and that would have prevented that interception
I don't know.

The pass looked a little high and a little too hard for a shovel pass at close range. To the extent that was due to jitters of a true freshman suddenly thrown into the game, I think it's on the coaches.

With Colt in the game you may want to take a shot at picking up some yards for a FG attempt. With the true freshman getting his first real playing time in the BCS Championship, I think you run out the clock. 17-6 isn't out of it, especially if the coaching staff can develop an offensive game plan Garrett could execute in the second half and the defense played well.

On the flip side, I think getting off to a three-score lead with a true freshman going against them is what led Alabama to a sluggish 3rd quarter performance and going ultraconservative. Would Bama's offense have come out more (and maybe poured on more points) if it was 17-6 at the half instead of 24-6? I think Alabama was simply playing conservative field position football at 24-6 thinking Gilbert couldn't rally them back against their defense.

In that sense I'm really not sure that botched shovel pass made THAT much difference. I don't know that we'd see Alabama's offense go ultraconservative in the second half if they didn't have that extra score.

gunsmoke 11
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
The shovel pass was a great call, I thought. Should be a very safe play that could go for several yds. The reason the play didn't go as planned was because the back didn't step up past the pressure. He just kinda turned around making that about a 2 yd shovel. If he had stepped up and separated, he may still be running.

themsu97
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
first off, I believe that it was Monroe in there and not Newton...
secondly the ball was thrown behind him and he tipped it up in an attempt to make a play...
but if the throw would have been on the money... it would have been off to the races and Monroe will win a majority of those

STANG RED
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by gunsmoke 11
The shovel pass was a great call, I thought. Should be a very safe play that could go for several yds. The reason the play didn't go as planned was because the back didn't step up past the pressure. He just kinda turned around making that about a 2 yd shovel. If he had stepped up and separated, he may still be running.

I hadnt really thought about that before. You may be right though. Still, I was very surprised not to see a kneel down, and think it would have been the better call, even if the int had never happened.

sahen
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
it was a very baylor-esque play...i have seen random stuff like that happen to baylor often over the years...figured it just wasnt UT's night once that went down, though they did shock me and make a game of it in the end...

TheDOCTORdre
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
If you didn't catch the sarcasm I'm making fun of the other thread that says it should have been so easy for Gideon to realize what was going on and knock the ball down instead of intercept it

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
[
In that sense I'm really not sure that botched shovel pass made THAT much difference. I don't know that we'd see Alabama's offense go ultraconservative in the second half if they didn't have that extra score. [/B]

What did 'Bama do in the first half that they DIDN'T try in the second half???? Ultra-Conservative? They tried passing over the top and failed! They tried swing passes and failed! They tried to NOT be conservative and failed in both halves. Alabama did what they had to do to win but CONSERVATIVE was not their intent. They took ONLY the things that the Texas defense gave up. They didn't have any other options! And I'm not even a Longhorn fan. Anything other than a straight handoff was eaten up by the Texas defense before it could get started. Alabama wasn't "Conservative"----Alabama was LIMITED!!!!!