PDA

View Full Version : CUERO Coach leaving

CHSVARSITYDAD
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Mark told the boys today he is going to take over duties at TLU/Seguin.
Good luck to him and his family and thanks for being there for my boys whether it was football related or help with life.

sinfan75
01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
WOW!! Figured Reeves would hang around a few more years. But it is a college position.

Johnny Utah
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Retire from Public school, work at TLU, get retirement pay and a little money from them. Son the next head coach??

Green Bling
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Had heard this was possible. Hate to lose him. He's a good man! This is a good opportunity for him. Any word about Travis? He's on the list of applicants in Victoria for one of those positions. Hope he stays with us.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Good luck Mark. Awesome coach who did it the right way all the time. Loved watching his on field product over the past several years.

I thought he'd want to coach his grandson before departing.

44INAROW
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Good Luck Coach Reeve - I am selfish and wanted you to stay here longer but I certainly understand this great opportunity for you. I am certainly not making any speculations on our next AD/HC but I sure hope it's possible to hire from within. :)

YTBulldogs
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Cuero can certainly get the states best coaching prospects if wanted.

I'd hate to see Blake leave from our district if Travis goes elsewhere though.

He, my son and nephew have become close through CYFL and SV years. Good kid.

44INAROW
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Cuero can certainly get the states best coaching prospects if wanted.

Don't you know the resume's are being printed and emailed in a freenzy today :) Like I said - I know there will be lots of applicants for this job but I personally hope they hire from within..(many factors go into that decision)

CHSVARSITYDAD
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Cuero won't hire from within(this coming from 3 members on the board)
My personal opinion is Travis is leaving and Seguin is close to where he is going and Mark can watch his grandson play.Mark will be Def.Coach at TLU.
Could also lose another coach if he can't take over at head coach and this coach I wont mention is the one we need to keep.The kids love him and play hard for him!!!!

teetle
01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Ya'lls coulds always gets T.J. outs of retirement. Hes probably wants to give it a goes again.:D :weeping: :D

44INAROW
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's going to be intersting for sure! Wonder how many of the guys that applied in Victoria are going to apply in Cuero and hope they get the Cuero job instead of Victoria ;) Talk about a hornest's nest over there. Mercy!:doh:
We knew this day was coming sooner or later. The Gobbler athletic program will be just fine - I am sure there will be plenty of well qualified applicants, as well as some on the current staff - there will be lots of talk and speculation for the upcoming weeks for sure.

Originally posted by teetle
Ya'lls coulds always gets T.J. outs of retirement. Hes probably wants to give it a goes again.:D :weeping: :D

No thanks - he can't even pronounce GOBBLERS correctly.. :D

Phil C
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm sure Cuero will get at least 200 applications for that job. Maybe more.

forum_guy
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
One of my good inside sources told me Cuero is lookin hard at getting Mangino

YTBulldogs
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Danny Padron (SA O'Connor) will be the new HC at TLU, Mark will be his DC.

44INAROW
01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
from the Cuero Record
link (WWW.CUERORECORD.COM)
Reeve resigns, accepts position with Texas Lutheran University
by by Richard Morton, Record Sports
(Posted Today 12:16 pm)
Cuero High School Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Mark Reeve, will announce his resignation this afternoon. Reeve will accept a position on the staff at Texas Lutheran University.
Coach Reeve arrived in Cuero in 2003 and has brought nothing but success to Gobbler athletics. As head football coach, Reeve has led the Gobblers to an 84-11 record, three straight semi-finals appearances and five appearances in the past six seasons. Under Coach Reeve, the Gobblers have not lost a district game in seven seasons.
As Athletic Director, Reeve has led a renaissance of all athletic programs, both boys and girls. With the hiring of a fantastic coaching staff, the Lady Gobblers have been ultra competitive in basketball, and just this season won the first volleyball district championship in school history. In 2008, the Gobbler baseball team made an appearance in the Regional Finals, and in 2009 enjoyed a #1 ranking the entire season. The track program has also excelled, winning three State Championships in the past five years.
“It will be hard to step down and leave,” said Reeve. “We just have such a great group of kids here, in both the boys and girls programs, and the coaching staff we have put together is just exceptional.”

******MOM note - the GOLF program was pretty successful while Reeve was AD - State Tourney 04, 05, 06 and 07 :)

pirate4state
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
wow....this could really shake up a lot of stuff :D

DaHop72
01-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Well here you go, the chance for a lot of the downlow experts to apply and show the world their coaching ability. :devil: :devil:

Maroon87
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
One of my good inside sources told me Cuero is lookin hard at getting Mangino

:spitlol:

Cowboy_Up
01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I wish the best of luck to Coach Reave at TLU. Hopefully he can help to turn things around up there.

That grandson of his is going to be a fine QB and I wonder where he will be playing next year?

I have no idea who the next coach will be and for sure they'll get resumes from all over the state. They do have some good candidates right there on staff, but according to inside info already shared they'll be going outside.

Can't imagine them hiring anyone without HC experience.
Just brainstorming local possibilities...The guy at Refugio is passionate, has won 2A state before, as well as done a very good job at Refugio...Dumont at Rice has built a very good program...guy at Port Lavaca has done a great job but he already is a 4A HC/AD, runs a much different offense, and has great community support, couldn’t imagine him leaving. I’m trying to think of any other HC from Region IV, 2A – 5A that would interest the folks at Cuero, but outside of Refugio and Rice coming close, no one has had the kind of recent success Cuero has enjoyed.

It will be very interesting to watch.

Blue42
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Well if Travis does not get it or accept it I hope it will be offered to Rob Schoenfeld and he would take it both these guys would be a blessing to the already proven program.

waterboy
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I heard Brad McCoy was interested.:D

j/k....Bad break for the Cuero program, but I know they will be just fine. They are a storied program and have always continued their winning tradition despite many changes over the years.:thumbsup:

Blue42
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Man I another thing I herd that Fryer might leave too SAY IT ANT SO!

lostaussie
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
There are fifty guys out there who could take this team to a championship:D.....................I remember one Jerry Jones saying this right before he fired ole Jimmy:doh:. i am pretty sure Cuero will be just fine!!

waterboy
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
There are fifty guys out there who could take this team to a championship:D.....................I remember one Jerry Jones saying this right before he fired ole Jimmy:doh:. i am pretty sure Cuero will be just fine!!
Get back to work!! Must be nice to shut down for the entire holidays!:(

YTBulldogs
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I wish the best of luck to Coach Reave at TLU. Hopefully he can help to turn things around up there.

That grandson of his is going to be a fine QB and I wonder where he will be playing next year?

I have no idea who the next coach will be and for sure they'll get resumes from all over the state. They do have some good candidates right there on staff, but according to inside info already shared they'll be going outside.

Can't imagine them hiring anyone without HC experience.
Just brainstorming local possibilities...The guy at Refugio is passionate, has won 2A state before, as well as done a very good job at Refugio...Dumont at Rice has built a very good program...guy at Port Lavaca has done a great job but he already is a 4A HC/AD, runs a much different offense, and has great community support, couldn’t imagine him leaving. I’m trying to think of any other HC from Region IV, 2A – 5A that would interest the folks at Cuero, but outside of Refugio and Rice coming close, no one has had the kind of recent success Cuero has enjoyed.

It will be very interesting to watch.

Cuero knows how to hire HC's. Hopefully they will use the same guidelines and not let those outside influences in and ruin the Cuero process.

Cowboy_Up
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Cuero knows how to hire HC's. Hopefully they will use the same guidelines and not let those outside influences in and ruin the Cuero process.

Huh? What outside influences are you talking about?

YTBulldogs
01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Huh? What outside influences are you talking about?

I'm not saying there are any Cowboy_Up. Just hope they don't use them "if" they come around. You know, people really not involved becoming involved. All our towns have those types. I just hope Cuero selects the way they normally do, cause it's been successful over the years for the most part.

Cuero is a elite system, let it work.

ol country boy
01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
There is an ol saying I like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Cuero has a couple of guys on the offensive side that would do a good job.

Highschoolfan78
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Mark Reeve had stellar results at Cuero and more importantly, set a good example of how a AD should conduct himself around young men. Cuero will miss him dearly. Back to the drawing board for the Gobblers. It will be interesting of what names get thrown in the mix. This was shocking, yet inevitable.

wimbo_pro
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Cuero always played with class and dignity...a reflection of the coaching staff, I say. I would think the only thing to say is that Reeves prepared the team to take the next step, and the next coach will punch it through to the championship. They have the talent.

banderafan
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Cuero has had an outstanding run under coach Reeve. It will be a tough act to follow for the next AD/HC. Sometimes a new coach makes major changes in offensive/defensive philosophies that take couple of years for the athletes to adapt. It can really be tough on juniors and seniors that have been in the same system since middle school. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Green Bling
01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Danny Padron (SA O'Connor) will be the new HC at TLU, Mark will be his DC.

Padron and Reeve coached together at SA Clark for 8 years.

12thMan
01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Whoever the next coach is, he'll be coaching the best RB in the state. I hope the other coaches stay. We have a good group of coaches and I pray that the next HC keeps them around.

kepdawg
01-08-2010, 10:19 PM
How long was the coach at Cuero? Who was the previous coach and where did he go?

44INAROW
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How long was the coach at Cuero? Who was the previous coach and where did he go?

Bill Littleton was the previous coach. He left after the 02 season and Coach Reeve came in the spring of 03 (I think) Coach LIttleton went down to McAllen Memorial. Coach Littleton came to Cuero when Mickey Finley came to Cuero after Pat Blessing left (Blessing was the coach in 1987 when Cuero won State)

12thMan
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
He was hired in 2003.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
01-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Darn.

What a loss. We were very fortunate to have Coach Reeve pass through our program. He definitely made a statement and handled everything he did with class, dignity and intelligence.

I really hate to see him go, but wish him and his family nothing but the best in his future challenge.

It would be a shame not to at least look hard at some of our coaches on the current staff. We have some very classy, smart young guys that possess the same quality traits that Coach Reeve does. It is obvious they care deeply for all the kids. Why roll the dice??

wimbo_pro
01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by WILDGOBBLERCAT
Darn.

What a loss. We were very fortunate to have Coach Reeve pass through our program. He definitely made a statement and handled everything he did with class, dignity and intelligence.

I really hate to see him go, but wish him and his family nothing but the best in his future challenge.

It would be a shame not to at least look hard at some of our coaches on the current staff. We have some very classy, smart young guys that possess the same quality traits that Coach Reeve does. It is obvious they care deeply for all the kids. Why roll the dice??

I hope the best for him and his family as well...who wouldnt?

But now that we can move on...Cuero needs a coach who can take them at least to the state game, and one who can win it.

No offense intended to Reeves...great work, good man, great results...but lets be honest...No Championship.

12thMan
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by WILDGOBBLERCAT
Darn.

I agree 100%. We have some coaches that would do an excellant job filling Reeve's shoes. They know our kids inside out. Heck, we have a former AD that was an assistant this year.

Hope we can find a coach with good moral values as well, not just a coach with an winning record. That's what set Reeve apart from other coaches in the state.

12thMan
01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I hope the best for him and his family as well...who wouldnt?

But now that we can move on...Cuero needs a coach who can take them at least to the state game, and one who can win it.

No offense intended to Reeves...great work, good man, great results...but lets be honest...No Championship.

For someone who's not from cuero and has no clue what he means to our young men is crazy. Yea, it's prob. time to move on, but there wasn't a better man for the job.

I get what u are saying, but I think we would hire him again if we had to do it all over again.

maroogreen
01-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Definitely big news in Cuero. Interesting dynamic forming in Cuero/Victoria area.

Historically and currently, Cuero actually pays coaches (and teachers) poorly compared to other towns of comparable size, but the district can. The trade off is you get to add Cuero football to your resume and work in a well-supported program with strong community support and a decent talent pool.

In Victoria, you have an opportunity to build a program from the ground up and earn a good salary while doing it. Let's face it: it wouldn't take much to do better than they have the past several years. On the other hand, there has been little consistency in the program in the past years and the kids have no cohesiveness due to realignment. Lots of opportunity, not much discipline and no tradition (being new campuses as they are). The current Victoria staff contains a number of former Cuero coaches and athletes.

I'm just rambling, but I'm interested to see how all of this falls out.

JT44
01-09-2010, 06:12 AM
My opinion if anyone cares........I think Travis goes to Victoria so get an alum Adam Arroyo from Skidmore Tynan or just hire from within ---Coach Fryar. There's alot of alum that would probably come back that are in coaching right now.

JT44
01-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Rob Schoenfeld would be another choice from within the current staff.

wimbo_pro
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by 12thMan
For someone who's not from cuero and has no clue what he means to our young men is crazy. Yea, it's prob. time to move on, but there wasn't a better man for the job.

I get what u are saying, but I think we would hire him again if we had to do it all over again.

I hear you 12thman...and if we had an opening here, i would be happy with him as well. As far as the "time to move on" comment...this comes after he announced his departure, not before. Great guy, and i am sure he will be missed...but its time to look forward to the next guy who will get them to the top.

tango
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JT44
My opinion if anyone cares........I think Travis goes to Victoria so get an alum Adam Arroyo from Skidmore Tynan or just hire from within ---Coach Fryar. There's alot of alum that would probably come back that are in coaching right now.

If we do not hire Travis or he choses to go to another school, our QB in waiting goes with him! A double hit! May seem crazy talk to some, feels as if there has been a death. The program that Mark had here and the type of person he is played a roll in our decision to move our family here.

NewSherriff
01-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Not only does your QB in waiting go, which by the way is going to be a Tyler Arndt type QB sooner than people think.......you are going to loose this offensive system. I system that these high school kids have known since Junior High. A system that has been one if not the best offenses in the state consistently over the last 6 years. I hope the powers that be really think this over. It will not only be a DOUBLE hit. Hiring from the outside will totally remodel you program. Do you want to take that chance with a program that has had a 95% win percentage over the last 7 seasons. Cuero has a great group of athletes coming up. They could be waisted on a new system forcing them to start from scratch or not utilizing there talent. Think very hard before you make this decisioin Cuero! Why overhaul what has been the best program in the state win percentage wise over the last 7 years. I realize you don't have a championship, but it will come. You have to consistenty be there to win it. Eventually things falls in your direction. In summary, I just don't see how you could gamble with such a WINNER, and take a chance of wasting the players you have coming up. You could stand to lose not only your qb in waiting, but your offensive system. You hire from the outside, you also lose most...if not all of your current coaching staff. Cuero has two or three perfectly qualified candidates and not so much changes.

12thMan
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I hear you 12thman...and if we had an opening here, i would be happy with him as well. As far as the "time to move on" comment...this comes after he announced his departure, not before. Great guy, and i am sure he will be missed...but its time to look forward to the next guy who will get them to the top.

Your right, and I think the next guy should be a coach thats already here. I like what NewSherriff said. If it aint broke, don't fix it. We have plenty of coaches to choose from right here in Cuero.

tango
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by NewSherriff
Not only does your QB in waiting go, which by the way is going to be a Tyler Arndt type QB sooner than people think.......you are going to loose this offensive system. I system that these high school kids have known since Junior High. A system that has been one if not the best offenses in the state consistently over the last 6 years. I hope the powers that be really think this over. It will not only be a DOUBLE hit. Hiring from the outside will totally remodel you program. Do you want to take that chance with a program that has had a 95% win percentage over the last 7 seasons. Cuero has a great group of athletes coming up. They could be waisted on a new system forcing them to start from scratch or not utilizing there talent. Think very hard before you make this decisioin Cuero! Why overhaul what has been the best program in the state win percentage wise over the last 7 years. I realize you don't have a championship, but it will come. You have to consistenty be there to win it. Eventually things falls in your direction. In summary, I just don't see how you could gamble with such a WINNER, and take a chance of wasting the players you have coming up. You could stand to lose not only your qb in waiting, but your offensive system. You hire from the outside, you also lose most...if not all of your current coaching staff. Cuero has two or three perfectly qualified candidates and not so much changes.

I agree. It scares me to think that there could be a person in position of power to diced the future of this program that has hard feelings towards the Reeves for not playing their kid more or putting the kid on the playoff roster. Sad to think but it seems to be a reality.

Green Bling
01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the board, NewSherriff, you make some good points. Just hope the SB uses really clear heads when evaluating the candidates, that they can keep politics out of it, and choose a man that will be a positive force for our kids.

wimbo_pro
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Your right, and I think the next guy should be a coach thats already here. I like what NewSherriff said. If it aint broke, don't fix it. We have plenty of coaches to choose from right here in Cuero.

he DOES make a great argument for hiring from within. No one can argue Cuero's success...minus the big one. And if you start over, it's gotta take a few years...in most cases anyway.

wimbo_pro
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Well said. There's a new sheriff in town!!

44INAROW
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM

I like the way you think New Sherriff..
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Don't you know the resume's are being printed and emailed in a freenzy today :) Like I said - I know there will be lots of applicants for this job but I personally hope they hire from within..(many factors go into that decision)

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I certainly feel for the Gobbler Nation. From everything I've seen and heard, he's a great coach and man. I know he always asks 44IAR about "the beast", which makes him all right with me! ;)

Any coach that is selected has some big shoes to fill, IMO. I know lots of Cuero folks are hoping for a hiring from within. How about any coaches that were there previously, like Finley? Wasn't he there during the 90's? :thinking:

Gobbla2001
01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
it took 2 yrs for coach reeve to take 2-3 returning starters from a 5-6 team to the state championship game... 9-2 his first year and 14-1 his second, he did such an excellent job... thank you Reeve...

if we can get a coach with a fast turnaround that won't waste Trent and these other guy's talent I'm fine with an outside hire... but if we can keep travis and our QB in waiting let's do that first...

12thMan
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I certainly feel for the Gobbler Nation. From everything I've seen and heard, he's a great coach and man. I know he always asks 44IAR about "the beast", which makes him all right with me! ;)

Any coach that is selected has some big shoes to fill, IMO. I know lots of Cuero folks are hoping for a hiring from within. How about any coaches that were there previously, like Finley? Wasn't he there during the 90's? :thinking:

IMO, Finley would not be a good pick. Look at all the receivers we have comming back next year, including one of the best TE in region IV. Finley didn't do a good job at Victoria and he runs an offense that would not use all the talent Cuero has comming back.

12thMan
01-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I see on The Old Coach website that Adam Arroyo is no longer the coach at Skidmore. He's a cuero native and if I'm not mistaken, he was one of the finilest in 2003 when Reeve was hired. Does anyone know much about him?

Old Green
01-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Not only does your QB in waiting go, which by the way is going to be a Tyler Arndt type QB sooner than people think.......you are going to loose this offensive system. I system that these high school kids have known since Junior High. A system that has been one if not the best offenses in the state consistently over the last 6 years. I hope the powers that be really think this over. It will not only be a DOUBLE hit. Hiring from the outside will totally remodel you program. Do you want to take that chance with a program that has had a 95% win percentage over the last 7 seasons. Cuero has a great group of athletes coming up. They could be waisted on a new system forcing them to start from scratch or not utilizing there talent. Think very hard before you make this decisioin Cuero! Why overhaul what has been the best program in the state win percentage wise over the last 7 years. I realize you don't have a championship, but it will come. You have to consistenty be there to win it. Eventually things falls in your direction. In summary, I just don't see how you could gamble with such a WINNER, and take a chance of wasting the players you have coming up. You could stand to lose not only your qb in waiting, but your offensive system. You hire from the outside, you also lose most...if not all of your current coaching staff. Cuero has two or three perfectly qualified candidates and not so much changes. +1

YTBulldogs
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Benefits of having a "in house" coach:

1. Happens to have a child going into the 10th grade.

2. Who has real potential/tools as a QB.

3. Has the ability to pick the brain anytime he needs to from one of the states all time best coaches, he's dad.

4. Current system remains. Will not miss a beat.

Travis has to be my first choice. And, I would hire him before someone else needing what he has to offer does. Of course, I'm not making the selection.

tog
01-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Rob Schoenfeld would be another choice from within the current staff.

Rob, if you are out there, contact me

tog@coachhuey.com

it has been a while

Green Bling
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
To all school boards and ADs out there, keep your hands off our coaching staff until this AD situation is resolved. We need them worse than you do right now!! :D :D I can just see you salivating over our talent!!:D :D

fumanchu
01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
If they stay in house, which I definately think they should, they should hire the asst. Head Coach- Rick Owens. He has been there since Reeves came in, is a great guy, works hard and has been doing a great job coaching the line there- that back doesn't get all those yards w/out the people in front of him- IMO he is a superior choice to Arroyo & the young Reeves needs to go find himself a small school and earn his way back if that is where he wants to be. Just my 2 cents.

12thMan
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Coach Owens has to be in the mix also. He is a great coach and has a lot of passion for the game. Not to mention, he cares a lot about the kids.

Travis and Coach Owens has never held an AD position before. That's the only thing going against them at this point IMO. I do think either coach would be a fine AD here in Cuero. Just depends if the board wants someone with some experience at the AD position

crabman
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Wanted: Head Coach for storied 3A program.

Required qualifications: Must have been an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, or head coach that has taken his team at least to the semifinals for five of the last six years at the 3A level or higher.

One person who fits those qualifications is now the Assistant Head Coach at TLU. I wonder where we could find another? Oh, wait! He is already on the payroll!

Very few schools or coaches in the state of Texas come close and very few of those schools would be willing to cut their coaches loose. Dan Hooks, Jerry Vance, Jeff Traylor, Hugh Sandifer. Any of you guys interested? I didn't think so.

Here is a list of semifinal appearances by the elite programs in the state in the last six years:

Cuero 5
Abilene Wylie 4
Gilmer 3
Celina 3 (in 3A)
Carthage 2
China Spring 1
Snyder 2
West Orange Stark 1

I will say on a Message Board like this what my opinion is but as a member of the community and Booster Club it is probably best to let the School Board make the decision. Whomever they pick needs to have the total support of the town and the Booster Club. If people start taking sides, you will end up with a divided community. I know who I would LIKE but I can probably support whomever they think the best candidate is. I would hope they would never be closed to hiring from within if that was the best candidate. I would hope they would never feel pressured to hire from within if a truly outstanding candidate came from outside the system. Forget words like ALWAYS and NEVER. Pick the BEST candidate.

12thMan
01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Wanted: Head Coach for storied 3A program.

Required qualifications: Must have been an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, or head coach that has taken his team at least to the semifinals for five of the last six years at the 3A level or higher.

One person who fits those qualifications is now the Assistant Head Coach at TLU. I wonder where we could find another? Oh, wait! He is already on the payroll!

Very few schools or coaches in the state of Texas come close and very few of those schools would be willing to cut their coaches loose. Dan Hooks, Jerry Vance, Jeff Traylor, Hugh Sandifer. Any of you guys interested? I didn't think so.

Here is a list of semifinal appearances by the elite programs in the state in the last six years:

Cuero 5
Abilene Wylie 4
Gilmer 3
Celina 3 (in 3A)
Carthage 2
China Spring 1
Snyder 2
West Orange Stark 1

I will say on a Message Board like this what my opinion is but as a member of the community and Booster Club it is probably best to let the School Board make the decision. Whomever they pick needs to have the total support of the town and the Booster Club. If people start taking sides, you will end up with a divided community. I know who I would LIKE but I can probably support whomever they think the best candidate is. I would hope they would never be closed to hiring from within if that was the best candidate. I would hope they would never feel pressured to hire from within if a truly outstanding candidate came from outside the system. Forget words like ALWAYS and NEVER. Pick the BEST candidate.

I totaly agree with you. Whoever the next coach is will be backed by one hell of a booster club.

Blue42
01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
If theirs one thing I have learner in my 45 years of life is I will never understand people and the things they do. Mark what were you thinking your pushing 60 you have your family in a town and setting that most people would dream of you have the opportunity to coach your grandson for the next 3 years, the people of the town revere you and you have a stellar group of kids coming up for the next few years. And what do you do you take a assistant coaching job at a division 3 at best college where the players out number the fans (I'm sorry TLU people but I'm pissed and I have been to a few TLU games) and force all your family and the people who care for you and them to deal with this turnover. I know I don't know all the reasons for you doing this but I hope money is not the issue and I hope this was not on a whim and you don't regret doing this later.
Best of luck and God bless you and your family.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Blue42
If theirs one thing I have learner in my 45 years of life is I will never understand people and the things they do. Mark what were you thinking your pushing 60 you have your family in a town and setting that most people would dream of you have the opportunity to coach your grandson for the next 3 years, the people of the town revere you and you have a stellar group of kids coming up for the next few years. And what do you do you take a assistant coaching job at a division 3 at best college where the players out number the fans (I'm sorry TLU people but I'm pissed and I have been to a few TLU games) and force all your family and the people who care for you and them to deal with this turnover. I know I don't know all the reasons for you doing this but I hope money is not the issue and I hope this was not on a whim and you don't regret doing this later.
Best of luck and God bless you and your family.

IMO, it's all about the money. He now draws a public school retirement, then receives a salary from TLU, it's called double dipping. At age 60, smart move.

Blue42
01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
IMO, it's all about the money. He now draws a public school retirement, then receives a salary from TLU, it's called double dipping. At age 60, smart move.
Yes I know about the double dipping but I would chose family and friends any day over money you only have one life and our time on earth is short stay close to the ones who love you and God will always provide.

Gobbler Fan
01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Whatever the reason its time to move on without Coach Reeve . The man did an excellent job for us and we will find out just how much he meant when all this is said and done . The School Board needs to realize what we have here in Cuero ... which is one of the finest Coaching staffs in the state hopefully they will take that into consideration when looking for a replacement for Coach Reeve .

If it aint broke dont fix it .... < just saying

;)

Blue42
01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Whatever the reason its time to move on without Coach Reeve . The man did an excellent job for us and we will find out just how much he meant when all this is said and done . The School Board needs to realize what we have here in Cuero ... which is one of the finest Coaching staffs in the state hopefully they will take that into consideration when looking for a replacement for Coach Reeve .

If it aint broke dont fix it .... < just saying

;)
AMEN

truebluestang
01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I think that if Cuero looks hard enough they will find the right guy who will understand that they are not in need of a major overhaul. That doesn't mean that they have to go with someone on staff with no HC experience. The powers that be need to find a person who will blend what they have done with his style and twist. That person may be the one to lead them to State titles.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes I know about the double dipping but I would chose family and friends any day over money you only have one life and our time on earth is short stay close to the ones who love you and God will always provide.

He'll still get to watch Blake and Travis on some Friday's, while securing his retirement days.

Blue42
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
He'll still get to watch Blake and Travis on some Friday's, while securing his retirement days.
I think Travis moves on without a head coaching job in Cuero and from what I''v herd it will be a 3 + hr drive for Mark to watch Blake play.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I think Travis moves on without a head coaching job in Cuero and from what I''v herd it will be a 3 + hr drive for Mark to watch Blake play.

I wouldn't be surprised Blue if Travis moves elsewhere. Schools love a coach with a QB prospect as a perk in the deal.

dude
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
If I remember right Reeves was the second choice last time, behind a coach that now has a son that will be a Jr. that is a pretty good QB himself right up the road.

rojosgirl
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, Bludau was chosen for the job then changed his mind.

12thMan
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by dude
If I remember right Reeves was the second choice last time, behind a coach that now has a son that will be a Jr. that is a pretty good QB himself right up the road.

Who is that and where is he coaching at now?

YTBulldogs
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
DuMont @ Rice?

Green Bling
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Tommy Bludau is at Schulenburg. His son Kyle is the QB.

12thMan
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling

Ok, I remember now. For some reason I thought it was Adam Arroyo who was in the hunt in 2003.

Why did he turn down the Cuero job?

Blue42
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok, I remember now. For some reason I thought it was Adam Arroyo who was in the hunt in 2003.

Why did he turn down the Cuero job?
I heard that the Cuero SB would not let him bring his whole crew of coaches with him thats why he turned it down.

RoTex
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Reeves was one of the best AD's I've ever seen. That being said I'm glad he's gone as a football coach. I'm tired of feeling like a bridesmade and never the bride mentality thats been going on for the last 6 years. He is a great man and great AD, but IMO his calls and clock management in games that mattered have cost Cuero several championships. Cuero's talent allowed him to blow teams off the field in district and against valley teams. But in games where the talent level is equally matched his indecisiveness has cost us. I'd like to see the offense open up a little more and utilize some of our team speed. At times his offense can almost be predictable depending on the formations, think back when we had Quincey. This is the first year we havent gotten eliminate from the playoffs by double digits since 2004, and look at what we had talent wise with Tyler and Trent.

Also a defense that understands how to get upfield would be nice to see. Reeves is an awesome AD, no doubt about it. He built a total program from track to baseball, to all girls sports. But IMO there are much better football coaches that know how to motivate kids and win the big games.

dude
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Right

dude
01-11-2010, 02:05 PM
DuMont @ Rice?

His son will be a Sr. next year. He maybe looking around the talent pool in Rice Cond. though seldom dry will not have the depth that it has had last several years. But having said that he has been in that general area along time and I think that he likes it and will have enough there at Rice to be competive maybe just not a the level it has seen the last two to three years. I think he doen't even apply..

hookandladder
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
There is no comparson between Kyle Bludau and the Dumont kid, Kyle is a 3 sport Stud. He will have to pick between Football and Baseball at the next level, I which he was at LG.

dude
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
There is no comparson between Kyle Bludau and the Dumont kid, Kyle is a 3 sport Stud. He will have to pick between Football and Baseball at the next level, I which he was at LG.

I don't think anyone was comparing the young men and who was better etc. but your take is noted and I would have to agree, maybe just not to your same level of excitement.

TRENCHES06
01-11-2010, 03:00 PM

This kid could come to LG and be a stud at QB.

OnceABucJr
01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
If this job is opened to all "qualified" applicants, any chance we could get a list of those applying? That would be very interesting!

hookandladder
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
This kid could come to LG and be a stud at QB.

Would love for that to happen however think this would have to be a package deal and do not think our coach is leaving. With the success of last year and the returning players for next year you would think our coach is happy and excited for next year. Leps in 2010.

un b weavable
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by fumanchu
Rick Owens. He has been there since Reeves came in, is a great guy, works hard and has been doing a great job coaching the line there
Owens didn't come in until Reeve's third year. Just an FYI. ;)

ol country boy
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by un b weavable
Owens didn't come in until Reeve's third year. Just an FYI. ;)

Coach Owens is a good coach and would be a good choice.

44INAROW
01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
There are several, good coaches on the current staff. In fact, there are ALOT of good coaches on the current staff. The CISD School Board has a tough job ahead of them. I hope they make the right decision and for the RIGHT reasons. No personal agendas, no hard feelings, etc. That said, I also hope whoever is chosen as the next Gobbler commander is welcomed/received with open arms and receives the support of the community.

Go Mean Green :)

ps.. Nice to see you posting Un B Weavable :p

12thMan
01-11-2010, 10:06 PM
There are several, good coaches on the current staff. In fact, there are ALOT of good coaches on the current staff. The CISD School Board has a tough job ahead of them. I hope they make the right decision and for the RIGHT reasons. No personal agendas, no hard feelings, etc. That said, I also hope whoever is chosen as the next Gobbler commander is welcomed/received with open arms and receives the support of the community.

Go Mean Green :)

ps.. Nice to see you posting Un B Weavable :p

I agree. I hope the school board puts all personal agendas aside and will make a decision on the best interest of the kids and the athletic program.

gobblerfan02
01-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Benefits of having a "in house" coach:

1. Happens to have a child going into the 10th grade.

2. Who has real potential/tools as a QB.

3. Has the ability to pick the brain anytime he needs to from one of the states all time best coaches, he's dad.

4. Current system remains. Will not miss a beat.

Travis has to be my first choice. And, I would hire him before someone else needing what he has to offer does. Of course, I'm not making the selection.

Just my opinion, don't think Travis is head coach material...think they need to hire someone outside with good qualifications that can take the talent in Cuero and win a championship with it!

I'm sure there will be plenty of highly qualified applicants that have the experience and gameplan to keep up the tradition!

crabman
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
The school board meets on Wednesday and will advertise for the job following that meeting. I am sure the list will be public and will find its way onto this board.

BTW, Reeve was already a retire/rehire. It's not about the money. If it was about the money he would not be in coaching. The man is plenty smart enough to make it in whatever endeavor he chose. More info. He is 58, not 60. Seguin(TLU) to Cuero is one hour on the money, not three hours. And last but not least, never pretend to know what motivates an individual in their life to do the things they do and don't speculate about it just because you think you MIGHT know. I spoke to him for 45 minutes today and he was as relaxed and comfortable as I have ever seen him. This is just another step in his life and something he wants to do.

Coach Buster Gilbreath was 107-22-1 in his tenure. Coach Reeve is second at 84-11. When you can mention those two guys in the same breath, you know you have something. Whoever the successor is can only hope to come close to something like those two guys did.

Good luck to Mark in his next effort. I am just guessing that TLU will not be 0-10 next year nor will they be as long as Coach Reeve is around.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
01-12-2010, 01:16 AM
A lot of the discussion on here is of course how the AD/Head Football coach position relates to Cuero's future success on the gridiron. Logically since this is a football site. Duh.

The school board obviously must look more from the AD standpoint. We are all hopeful they will put a large amount of weight into the "Head Football coach" side of the job title. I'm guessing the guys that do both extremely well like Coach Reeve did are not that easy to find. We were very fortunate.

I think a lot of fans have no idea how much time and effort goes into being a great AD. Administrative and budgetary issues, hiring top-notch coaches for all sports, and being diplomatic with the disgruntled 7th grade volleyball parents has got to be challenging.

I think there are several qualified yet unexperienced coaches on our current staff that could do a fantastic job. The kids would certainly benefit by having the continuity of most of the staff (I'm assuming).

Glad I'm not on the school board.

Z-RO
01-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Im not tryint to start anything, but I heard a rumor that McCoy has applied for this job. Might not be true, just thought I would throw that out there.

Blue42
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
The school board meets on Wednesday and will advertise for the job following that meeting. I am sure the list will be public and will find its way onto this board.

BTW, Reeve was already a retire/rehire. It's not about the money. If it was about the money he would not be in coaching. The man is plenty smart enough to make it in whatever endeavor he chose. More info. He is 58, not 60. Seguin(TLU) to Cuero is one hour on the money, not three hours. And last but not least, never pretend to know what motivates an individual in their life to do the things they do and don't speculate about it just because you think you MIGHT know. I spoke to him for 45 minutes today and he was as relaxed and comfortable as I have ever seen him. This is just another step in his life and something he wants to do.

Coach Buster Gilbreath was 107-22-1 in his tenure. Coach Reeve is second at 84-11. When you can mention those two guys in the same breath, you know you have something. Whoever the successor is can only hope to come close to something like those two guys did.

Good luck to Mark in his next effort. I am just guessing that TLU will not be 0-10 next year nor will they be as long as Coach Reeve is around.
Crabman I have always like reading your threads on here as they are very insightful and well thought out but my comment was he is pushing 60 and 58 is pushing 60 and the comment about 3hrs was in rumor of where I think Travis might go and I don't even want to get that started as I think Travis and his family are right where they belong HERE IN CUERO. My emotions sometimes get the best of me as I have 2 boys one who is now in the football program and 1 who will be in a few years and I know the impact that a good program can do for them and what a bad program will do to them.

teetle
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I heard thats the coach from Needvill is eying these job. He bes there before. Good fit. Go Gobbles:eek: :eek: :eek:

44INAROW
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I heard thats the coach from Needvill is eying these job. He bes there before. Good fit. Go Gobbles:eek: :eek: :eek:
He's definitely a good coach and a good guy. Both of my older son's really liked him as a coach (and History teacher) back in the 90's. Like I said earlier - I hope the SB stays 'in house' but if they go "outside the current staff"

Green Bling
01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know if the board will appoint an interim AD Wed. night? Or is that a reassignment that could come from the Superintendent without board action?

12thMan
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Nice article in todays Cuero Record. All I can say is Coach Reeve is one of the most humble coaches I know. He said he was a "small part" of the puzzle that made this program succede.

Coach Reeve played a huge part in in the success. Also, if you wanted to play collage sports, he did everything in his power to help those kids. Not only did he help them get there, he would stay in contact with them and offered advise to help them along the way.

Also, he was a great man of God. He cared about the kids spiritly. I wish him luck at his new job.

The apple dosn't fall far from the tree. Travis has just as big of a heart as his dad. Great family!!

I'm looking forward to the future here in Cuero. We will have a lot of good coaches to choose from, both from inside and outside. Whoever it is, he will have a lot of talent comming up to continue the winning tradition here in Cuero!

Go Mean Green!!!!!

CueroDad08
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know if the board will appoint an interim AD Wed. night? Or is that a reassignment that could come from the Superintendent without board action?

I have been told "IF" they do deside to go within, they will not appoint anyone as "interim AD". But everyone will know in about a WEEK who it is and the deal will be made that fast. We all will know alot more after weds, As to if the board will "ALL" agree to stay within or look outside. This will all be very tuff on the board to do the right thing. All we can do is pray they do "ALL" agree 100% as a whole, not just as a majority.

Green Bling
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
I have been told "IF" they do deside to go within, they will not appoint anyone as "interim AD". But everyone will know in about a WEEK who it is and the deal will be made that fast. We all will know alot more after weds, As to if the board will "ALL" agree to stay within or look outside. This will all be very tuff on the board to do the right thing. All we can do is pray they do "ALL" agree 100% as a whole, not just as a majority.
Thanks, CD. Definitely think prayers for our board are in order. This is a tough time for them, just as it is for all of us that love our Gobblers.

44INAROW
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks, CD. Definitely think prayers for our board are in order. This is a tough time for them, just as it is for all of us that love our Gobblers.

Amen, It may not sound like a unique situation to folks not living in Cuero, but it truely is a different situation for Cuero.It affects alot of things - I pray for the board, school and community. This is a big decision.

Green Bling
01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
The Brad McCoy thread has wormed its way to the DQ in Cuero. Mr. Bling came in after he'd been to coffee today and asked me if I had heard that Brad McCoy had applied for our AD job. Y'all see how far reaching this board's influence is?! I'm kinda in awe!!:D :D

44INAROW
01-12-2010, 09:33 PM
The Brad McCoy thread has wormed its way to the DQ in Cuero. Mr. Bling came in after he'd been to coffee today and asked me if I had heard that Brad McCoy had applied for our AD job. Y'all see how far reaching this board's influence is?! I'm kinda in awe!!:D :D

the funny thing - according to some/a board member/s I personally spoke with today - he/she/they have not even advertised for this job and as far as he/she/ they knew, no one has submitted an application (I am not saying someone hasn't mailed or emailed or faxed one to the business office, anything is possible.) We all know how rumors are, especially in small towns and the DQ is a prime place for the rumors to gather.. :) :D I think we'll all know more after the special meeting tomorrow night.
I need to tell Mr44 he missed on all the "scoop" by going to work at the lease instead of his usual DQ stop this morning..

also we have alot of "guest" reading this week - so come on GUESTS sign up and join in on the fun :)

ferilhog11
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
It says on texasfootball.com that we have already hired Danny Padron as our new head football coach. Can anyone confirm this?

YTBulldogs
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ferilhog11
It says on texasfootball.com that we have already hired Danny Padron as our new head football coach. Can anyone confirm this?

LOL. Padron is the new HC at TLU. Reeve is joining him there.

ferilhog11
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Thats what I was thinking. Texasfootball thinks Padron is going to be coaching in Cuero for some reason. Thanks bulldog

rojosgirl
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Gobbler Country has been shaken up by the departure of Mark Reeve. Whether you agree with his calls or not, you must agree that he is a class act from start to finish. Not only is he a teacher of football, is a a teacher of life as well. He molds young men into fine, upstanding individuals. I for one, thank him for that.
The decisions that must be made shorty will not be easy ones. I pray for the CISD Board of Trustees as they move forward and select a new leader for the Fighting Gobblers. I hope they look within the ranks as they make their decision. There are some fine men there.
The Gobblers will be fine, no matter who the coach is. That's just how we roll in C-Town!

:thumbsup:

teetle
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Dont's worries abouts it. Coach Rowark is goings tos bes the nextes man. He be having a inside track. He know what he be doing. He good that way. He got it going on.:D :eek: :D

Green Bling
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Dont's worries abouts it. Coach Rowark is goings tos bes the nextes man. He be having a inside track. He know what he be doing. He good that way. He got it going on.:D :eek: :D
Thanks for your concern, Teetle! I've been thinking that you and I need to have a talk. As a retired language arts teacher, I really feel I might be able to help you with a few after school tutorials. :D :D Youse da man!!:D :D

teetle
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I mays bes just a bus driver and nots as educated as you be but there be no need to make fun of me. I just not as fortunate as you be. Sorry, I tries my bestes.:D :eek: :D

Green Bling
01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I mays bes just a bus driver and nots as educated as you be but there be no need to make fun of me. I just not as fortunate as you be. Sorry, I tries my bestes.:D :eek: :D
Your best is all anyone can ask!:D :D Gotta luv it!

Blue42
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Yea I got the inside track to and I know that Teetle is an Magna Cumulate grad from Rice and is also a multi millionaire the only bus he drives has Rolls Royce on the back.

CueroDad08
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I have talked to alot around town over the last few days, I am learning most of the town at first all wanted to go within.(Travis)
A day or two later most have leaned toward (Rick). And now here right before the board meets most want someone outside.(With AD & Proven Experience). This will be tuff on the 7 board members. Let's just all suport what they do decide. We all know half the people will be happy the other half will be upset. But for the kids and the school lets all agree it will be for the best when it's over.

44INAROW
01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Let's just all suport what they do decide. We all know half the people will be happy the other half will be upset. But for the kids and the school lets all agree it will be for the best when it's over.

Amen CueroDad.... you going to the meeting?

CueroDad08
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Amen CueroDad.... you going to the meeting?

YES

Green Bling
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Cuero Dad, can we count on you to post any decisions that may come out of the meeting tonight? I know they will post minutes on the CISD website, but I don't know how soon that will be available. Thanks in advance.

CueroDad08
01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Cuero Dad, can we count on you to post any decisions that may come out of the meeting tonight? I know they will post minutes on the CISD website, but I don't know how soon that will be available. Thanks in advance.

CISD Board has agreed to interview the next 10 day's within CISD

Green Bling
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
CISD Board has agreed to interview the next 10 day's within CISD Thanks a lot, CD for letting us know about the board action. We have some good men from which to choose.

Gobbler Fan
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
is this going to hurt our recruiting for 2011 ??

hehe j/k :D

44INAROW
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
is this going to hurt our recruiting for 2011 ??

hehe j/k :D

you're bad Gobbler Fan ;)

44INAROW
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Reeve leaves long-lasting impact
www.victoriaadvocate.com
Originally published January 14, 2010 at 12:54 a.m., updated January 14, 2010 at 1 a.m.
Mark Reeve was busy filling out index cards when I walked into his office shortly after he had been named the athletic director and head football coach at Cuero in 2003.

Reeve was writing down the names of his players so he could learn them as quickly as possible.

Coaching has always been about the players for Reeve, who resigned Friday after seven seasons at Cuero to become the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Texas Lutheran University.

Reeve's departure caught the Cuero coaches, players and community members by surprise. The consensus was Cuero would be Reeve's last coaching stop.

Looking back, it's hard to believe Reeve was Cuero's second choice - he accepted the position after the first choice turned the job down.

Reeve approached the Cuero job like he did when he was a head coach at Victoria High and Plano West.

He made the same promise in Cuero he made when Victoria school district superintendent Bob Brezina and Victoria High principal B.F. Erskine gave him the opportunity to be a head coach for the first time.

Reeve promised he would never let his employers down or embarrass them.

Reeve far exceeded that promise at every stop. He has an overall coaching record of 192-37-4, which is the sixth highest winning percentage all-time in Texas.

Reeve's teams went 84-11 in Cuero and won seven consecutive unbeaten district championships, made five semifinal appearances in the last six years and one trip to the state final. The Gobblers will take a 34-game home winning streak into next season that dates back to 2003.

Cuero also prospered in other sports, winning three state track and field championships and numerous district championships during Reeve's tenure.

But championships and playoff appearances are only part of the success Reeve enjoyed in Cuero.

The relationships he formed and the lessons he taught will last far longer.

I've been covering high school sports for over two decades and I can say without equivocation that Reeve is one of the fairest and hardest-working coaches I have ever met.

He put his best players on the field, but he cared about them all.

He would not tolerate parental interference, but a parent never had to worry that his or her child was being abused.

You could second-guess his decisions, but not his motives or intentions.

Reeve and I have been on different side of issues. I never felt more highly about him than I did when the Victoria school board of trustees was meeting to select a new baseball coach for Victoria High.

I wanted former Stroman coach Hodie Garica to get the job and Reeve was backing Victoria High assistant Tommy Cook.

Reeve and I were talking outside the board room when we were approached by someone who wondered how two people with such differing opinions could be so cordial. Reeve said it didn't matter that we disagreed because he respected my opinion and I respected his.

Reeve will have many memories to savor from his tenure at Cuero.

He was inducted into the Texas High School Coaches Association's Hall of Honor in 2007, an event attended by many of his former players and fellow coaches.

He had the opportunity to work with his wife, Jan, and fulfill a lifelong dream of coaching with sons, Travis and Charlie.

The impact Reeve had on the Cuero program will be felt for years to come.

The first indication came at Wednesday night's meeting of the Cuero school district's board of trustees.

The trustees to decided to advertise the position within the school district, meaning Reeve's assistants will get first crack at the job.

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this column at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

teetle
01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I wishes that I hads graduated from Rice. I passed through Rice. I went through the fronts door and out the backs. I wents to the 11th grades. I gots my GED when i wases in captivity. I really thinks that Rowark will get this job. Hes wants it bad and hes will bes good for the Goblers. He know what he be doing. He a very goods coach. Hes tooks a Needville programs thats was down ands made it repsectfully agains. :eek: :weeping: :eek:

gobblerfan02
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks a lot, CD for letting us know about the board action. We have some good men from which to choose.

...and with the good comes the bad, not everyone is head coach material! It might be best to bring in someone new who can run with the already existing program!

BIG MO
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
has anyone heard any thing about the a possible pick for the job

SHSBulldog00
01-20-2010, 05:41 PM
I heard Travis Reeve was a finalist for the Sweeny job. Might he take over at Cuero if he doesn't get the Sweeny job?

44INAROW
01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
At the meeting last Weds, 1/13/10, it was reported the CISD would take applications "in house" for 10 days. Assume that ends Friday, 1/22/10.. No word about when a decision would be made. I won't make any speculations on what decision will/should be made. I just hope it goes the way I want it to :) The rumors of who had applied for this job have finally slowed down. Some of the rumors were so far-fetched and outlandish - but of course, those spreading them "knew for sure" :D

Green Bling
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the board, Big Mo!:D :D

gobblerfan34
01-20-2010, 09:16 PM
i hope that we can hire from within, by doing this hopefully we can retain more of our assistant coaches, which i think will put us way ahead, rather than starting with a whole new coaching staff,
have talked to several of the football players and they are ready for next season to finish what they started, it seems that the players are less concened about who the new coach is, compared to the community as a whole

GO MEAN GREEN

Green Bling
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Good to hear the kids aren't concerned about a coaching change. Glad to hear they have their eye on the prize!! Way to stay focused Gobblers!! Classy bunch all the way around!!

headhunter
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I heard the predistrict schedule has already been set, so the new coach does not have to worry about that.

In no order
Victoria
Bellville
Columbus
Giddings
Liberty Hill
Yoakum (will play if not in district - will drop one of the others)

Gobbler Fan
01-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Victoria - about time

Bellville - new face and should be a good one

Columbus - eh hope this is the one we drop

Giddings - new face I like it

Liberty Hill - old foe ...great program

Yoakum - cant stop the rivalry

12thMan
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought coaches wait till after the UIL finishes alignment to make schedules. Who scheduled these teams? Whoever did, I like it!!

YTBulldogs
01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
It's not official until after the re-alignment. But, every coach pencil teams in on their non-district schedule prior to re-alignment if they can agree with one another before hand.. Call it pre-planning.

hookandladder
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan34
i hope that we can hire from within, by doing this hopefully we can retain more of our assistant coaches, which i think will put us way ahead, rather than starting with a whole new coaching staff,
have talked to several of the football players and they are ready for next season to finish what they started, it seems that the players are less concened about who the new coach is, compared to the community as a whole

GO MEAN GREEN

Bellville stayed in house to replaced their long time coach last year, by comments made on this board this year most everyone on here was not very supportive of the new AD/HC. I myself would lean toward going outside, unless you have a no brainer. Good Luck to Cuero, the kids deserve a good coach.

tango
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I hear interviews will be Saturday

CueroDad08
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by tango
I hear interviews will be Saturday

There will ONLY be one interview Saturday
Rick Owens
Travis Reeve has pulled his name out of the hat TODAY.
He has taken a 5A AD job as of TODAY....
Look for him to take a few with him....
Now it get's TUFF.........10 more days have come and gone.

texasag91
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
There will ONLY be one interview Saturday
Rick Owens
Travis Reeve has pulled his name out of the hat TODAY.
He has taken a 5A AD job as of TODAY....
Look for him to take a few with him....
Now it get's TUFF.........10 more days have come and gone.

I don't think it is the AD position but a OC position in SA.

YTBulldogs
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Damn. Best of luck Travis. Gonna miss you and Blake for sure.

Will he be OC or HC? And, what school is he going to?

BIG MO
01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
This may be the best move for Travis it would be tough for a Son to follow Father at the
same school, too much comparison

crabman
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Hearsay is just that - hearsay and probably should not be posted as gospel. This is Ms. Crabman and I can tell you that Travis has not accepted a job anywhere as of today. He has withdrawn his name for the Cuero job but has NOT accepted a job anywhere else at this point. Just wanted to set the record straight.

texasag91
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Hearsay is just that - hearsay and probably should not be posted as gospel. This is Ms. Crabman and I can tell you that Travis has not accepted a job anywhere as of today. He has withdrawn his name for the Cuero job but has NOT accepted a job anywhere else at this point. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Your correct I miss spoke..thanks

Considered as an OC is what I meant.

rockmoor
01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
The crabman = a voice of reason. Thank you crabman. You ate that duck yet?

Blue42
01-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes I herd the same thing but I think it's bad news that he has withdrawn his name for the Cuero job.

crabman
01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I heard the predistrict schedule has already been set, so the new coach does not have to worry about that. In no order Victoria Bellville Columbus Giddings Liberty Hill Yoakum (will play if not in district - will drop one of the others)

Ok once more Ms. Crabman says:
These schools have been talked to but I don't think anything can be set until after realignment. There is a possibility we could be in a 7 or 8 team district and wouldn't need that many pre-district games. I think we just sit back and see what happens after the realignment meeting. :) :)

12thMan
01-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Wonder why Travis pulled his name out. I thought he wanted to be the next AD here in Cuero. Hope be stays anyway.

Did Rob put his name in?

12thMan
01-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Ok once more Ms. Crabman says:
These schools have been talked to but I don't think anything can be set until after realignment. There is a possibility we could be in a 7 or 8 team district and wouldn't need that many pre-district games. I think we just sit back and see what happens after the realignment meeting. :) :)

That's exactly what I thought. You have to wait for the uil to finish. We might be in a district with La Vernia.

lvbears32
01-22-2010, 11:13 PM
That's exactly what I thought. You have to wait for the uil to finish. We might be in a district with La Vernia.

man i hope so.

12thMan
01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
man i hope so.

Me too. Would be a great rivalry.

lvbears32
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Me too. Would be a great rivalry.

we wouldnt mind snapping that home winning streak yall got goin

44INAROW
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by fumanchu
If they stay in house, which I definately think they should, they should hire the asst. Head Coach- Rick Owens. He has been there since Reeves came in, is a great guy, works hard and has been doing a great job coaching the line there- that back doesn't get all those yards w/out the people in front of him- IMO he is a superior choice ...... young Reeves needs to go find himself a small school and earn his way back if that is where he wants to be. Just my 2 cents.

I am unclear what you are saying here. Why should one coach need to go find a small school and EARN his way back while the other gets the AD job - do you know something we don't know? I like both guys - I have no problem with Coach Owens at all, he's a good guy, great coach and we'll just have to see what the board decides- I really hate to see Travis leaving Cuero but I certainly understand this opportunity to "move up". But why make the comment " find himself a small school and earn his way back"? Maybe I am over-reading it, but it just seems like an odd comment. I think both coaches work hard, are great guys.

12thMan
01-22-2010, 11:26 PM
we wouldnt mind snapping that home winning streak yall got goin

You and I both know that's not going to happen.

Green Bling
01-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Board meeting is Wed. night.

lvbears32
01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
You and I both know that's not going to happen.

im pretty sure thatys what yall said 2 years ago

crabman
01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Travis is going to go small school and "earn" his way back in. He will be a 5A coordinator by the middle of next week.

In two weeks we have lost the following:

Athletic Director - Mark Reeve
Head Coach - Mark Reeve
Defensive Coordinator (realistically) - Mark Reeve
Offensive Coordinator - Travis Reeve
Quarterback of the future - Blake Reeve
Junior High Principal - Jan Reeve
Outstanding teacher at Myersville - Destiny Reeve

If you don't think the departure of the Reeve's is going to leave a very large hole in our school system you are sadly mistaken.

Green Bling
01-22-2010, 11:40 PM
We'll be OK whatever happens. Mark Reeve and staff have taught these kids well. The board will chose the best man available for the job, and the Gobbler Winning Tradition will continue. The Reeve family will, of course, be missed for all the many hats they wore in our community. We wish them all well.

12thMan
01-22-2010, 11:40 PM
im pretty sure thatys what yall said 2 years ago

Don't worry, we owe you one at your house!! As you saw this past year, it's hard to beat the Gobblers in our house.

Blue42
01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Well Blake has always told me that he did not think he would graduate as a Gobbler I just did not want to believe it.

headhunter
01-23-2010, 12:17 AM
We'll be OK whatever happens. Mark Reeve and staff have taught these kids well. The board will chose the best man available for the job, and the Gobbler Winning Tradition will continue. The Reeve family will, of course, be missed for all the many hats they wore in our community. We wish them all well.

Well I tried to stay off these boards but I just can't help myself. Many of you will not agree with me, I am ok with that.

Green Bling you made a comment that I think is very important to hit on.

"The board will choose the best man available for the job."

Here is my thought on this. How do you know you have the best man available for the job if you never open it up to the entire state? Everyone on here keeps telling me, we do not want change. Well no matter what happens, change is going to come. Even if you hired Travis you were going to have change. If you hired Owens you would have change, probably a greater change.

Lets throw some stats out there -

Cuero has won 78% of its games since 1970 --- This tells me the talent level alone should allow a coach in this region to, on average, win 8 out of 10 games a season.

We have had 7 head coaches since 1970 (avg stay = 5.5 yrs) We have had 6 coaches since 1980 (Avg stay = 5 yrs) --- This tells me that we have had change and still been just as competitive as before.

The only time I know that we hired from within is when Coach Bill Littleton was given the job based on "he was next in line." Instead of had he to earn the job and was the best man for it. His contract was renewed and the board never opened the job up to the state. Did we get the best available coach then? You can answer that.

My last point --- A great coach should be defined by asking this question, Can this coach get more out of these kids then what is expected, can he make them play, motivate them, and get more out of those kids then what those kids know they have? Not just in sports but in every aspect of a young man/women life.

I truly believe we messed up when we did not immediately open the job up to everyone. The easy decision was to hire from within. We had two good coaches, now we have one applicant. No disrespect to Coach Owens -- he is a great guy and no doubt a good coach, but why should we not make him go up against the entire state to begin with. Now if you hire him the question is asked, Is it by default or was this the guy we really wanted.

Should we open it up, Mr. Lind will have many applications to review. This has to be one of the top 5 3A coaching jobs in the State (my opinion is top 3). This has to be the top 25 job in the State of Texas - All Classifications. IMO

headhunter
01-23-2010, 12:33 AM
If we opened this job up to the entire state and hired Travis Reeve or Rick Owens, I would totally respect the decision. I may not agree with it but because they were put up against every applicant in the state and you chose them, I will respect that you made the decision based on them being the best man for the job.

I think Rick Owens is a great coach, and I would hate to see him leave, but I want to make sure we get the BEST man available. Coach Owens has one thing that many coaches sometimes don't have - the ability to relate to the kids on their level. I do not know him that well, but when you talk to players, they really believe in what he is teaching them. That is important. You have to almost be a mentor to these kids sometime. Times have changed, used to we would see a military style hard nose coach, today you look for more of a players coach who can walk that fine line between keeping his team disciplined while still being able to relate to them on their level. To get more out of your players, you have to have them believe in you as a coach, that you will put them in the very best position possible for them to succeed. Kids are changing every day, you have be personable and you have to be fair. I believe Coach Owens has these qualities.

Lets see what our options are and lets hire the best man for the job.

Blue42
01-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I can't remember but was Pat Blessing an in-house hire and if he was that was also when we had Robert S and won our last state championship could history repeat itself and we hire Owens and have Trent and get us another one of them state championships ?

headhunter
01-23-2010, 12:41 AM
This is all hear say but I would be willing to bet Travis is taking the HC job at San Antonio O'Connor.

This job was formerly occupied by Danny Padron, now the head coach at TLU who acquired Mark Reeve from Cuero as his Defensive Coordinator.

My theory would be that, Padron left a O'Connor and refereed Travis as a top candidate for the job.

This is just hearsay, Don't crucify me, CORN COB, or THE MIDDLE. This is a message board, I know we disagree with many comments but lets just remember these are my opinions based on a little logic, probability, and with a few facts.

headhunter
01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I can't remember but was Pat Blessing an in-house hire and if he was that was also when we had Robert S and won our last state championship could history repeat itself and we hire Owens and have Trent and get us another one of them state championships ?

I don't want to pour water on your fire but we won those state championships with defense. That is 9 times out of 10 what wins it. We have to find those 11 kids that take pride in not allowing points for 48 minutes and want to punish people. Robert Strait was good, no doubt, he also never scored a TD in three state final games. Defense win championships.

Blue42
01-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
This is all hear say but I would be willing to bet Travis is taking the HC job at San Antonio O'Connor.

This job was formerly occupied by Danny Padron, now the head coach at TLU who acquired Mark Reeve from Cuero as his Defensive Coordinator.

My theory would be that, Padron left a O'Connor and refereed Travis as a top candidate for the job.

This is just hearsay, Don't crucify me, CORN COB, or THE MIDDLE. This is a message board, I know we disagree with many comments but lets just remember these are my opinions based on a little logic, probability, and with a few facts.
"Elementary, my dear Watson" :thinking:

Blue42
01-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't want to pour water on your fire but we won those state championships with defense. That is 9 times out of 10 what wins it. We have to find those 11 kids that take pride in not allowing points for 48 minutes and want to punish people. Robert Strait was good, no doubt, he also never scored a TD in three state final games. Defense win championships.
Yea Defense helps but I would rather watch a 42 to 41 state championship game than a 2 to 0 game any day.
And if you will remember Robert helped them get to the state championship games and if the other teams were not keying on him all the time we would not have scored and won in 87.

Gobbler Fan
01-23-2010, 01:56 AM
I believe they open it up too ... there is to much riding on what they decide to not look at all the other options . We have success not only in Football at Cuero but overall in all sports both Boys and Girls and whoever gets this AD/HC job will have their hands full and imo oppinion you cannot beat experience in a AD position . With all the other jobs opening up around the area I just hope it's not to late to get the best out there for the Athletes that Cuero has to offer .

Travis made his decision and I wish him the best along with Blake ... but do not take away from what we have at the QB position coming up or allready on Varsity #10 or whoever they put at QB will do just fine.

Green Bling
01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
[ but do not take away from what we have at the QB position coming up or allready on Varsity #10 or whoever they put at QB will do just fine. [/B]
#10 is a win/win deal. Good receiver if he doesn't QB and good at QB also. Didn't really get much of a chance last year to QB the starters. Most of his time behind center came with future starters.
We'll be fine either way.

YTBulldogs
01-23-2010, 10:59 AM
#10 is a win/win deal. Good receiver if he doesn't QB and good at QB also. Didn't really get much of a chance last year to QB the starters. Most of his time behind center came with future starters.
We'll be fine either way.

All he has to do is be able to hand off to Trent:) Monster year forthcoming for Trent.

New QB just protect the rock. Smart dink and dunk passes and ride the "Jackson Express".

hookandladder
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll make a prediction - not based on anything anyone has told me or anything I've heard - just based on my opinion. I think the Board interviews tomorrow as planned (I heard interviews are tomorrow, I assume that's right) The Board meets next week (I forget what date) I think after they've all had a few days to digest the recent events and the interview, they decide with so much on the line, and nothing against the current applicant, to open the job to the public.

They go over the resumes and applications (I bet at least 100 plus, afterall, this is a very desirable job) and narrow it down to 8 and call those 8 in for interviews. A week or so later, they make a decision on the next AD/HC for the Cuero Gobblers and he (whether he's on staff or from out of town is yet to be seen) jumps in feet first and gets to work on the end of the 2010 Spring seasons and beginning of the 2010 football season. There is alot more to being an AD than football - and it's a platefull. Whoever they hire will need the support of the community and the fans. This isn't the 1st time Cuero's hired an AD and it won't be the last - and we've been OK before and we'll be OK again. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Gobblers (even though many of us are very sad losing some wonderful coaches, that's part of it)

GO MEAN GREEN

ps I hope this came out right.. I dont' mean to offend anyone, just speaking my mind

I agree totally, for everyone involved in my opinion it would be best to open it up. Let the coaches that are there now win the job over the best in the state has to offer. Great opportunity for any coach.

CueroDad08
01-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Mrs.Crabman.......WAS RIGHT ON.......Travis has ONLY just pulled his name out of the hat........No word to him already having a job as of yet.

headhunter
01-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I am just amazed at many of the comments made on this board.

Only one poster (Ro Tex) said that the School Board should look outside the staff to hire. Now that things have transpired, many of you feel the same way. Why?

Let me tell you that the right thing to do was to never just allow it to be an in-house hire. We should have opened it up to the entire state from the get go. However many of you didn't like this because you were thinking that one of your two guys may not get it. But wouldn't you want your in-house guy to have to compete against the rest of the state to make sure he is the best candidate?

AGAIN, the easy choice and the choice to make most people happy was to hire from within. Well now you have one man interviewing for the job, it is almost unfair for him to get it or especially be turned down and say we are going to look elsewhere. (If you hire Owens, the question is -- Is it by default?) What does that tell Coach Owens? I think we messed up from the get go, we wasted 10 days. I like Coach Owens, but if I was making a decision I would want to put him up against seven other finalists for the job.

headhunter
01-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Mrs.Crabman.......WAS RIGHT ON.......Travis has ONLY just pulled his name out of the hat........No word to him already having a job as of yet.

It doesn't matter if he has taken a job or not. He is telling you that he will not be here next year by pulling his name out.

headhunter
01-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Please enlighten me Cuero fans. I want to know how hiring from within is better than getting a new coach from elsewhere?

Also why should we not open it up to the entire state?

Like I said before, I have no problem hiring a guy who is already here, but lets put him up against everyone in the state and make sure he is the best guy.

Blue42
01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I think a lot of people have enjoyed the 7 year run we have been blessed with and just would like for it to continue. Change is always a scary thing when you have had the success we have enjoyed in Cuero. I for one thought that we would have had at least 4 coaches apply from within and maybe we will have more now that Travis has dropped out of the running, some may have not applied out of respect for the other coaches. Regardless of who we get we are still Cuero and will continue to succeed.I will pray that whoever we get will lead the boys and gals with God in his hart and it will all work out.

texasag91
01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Please enlighten me Cuero fans. I want to know how hiring from within is better than getting a new coach from elsewhere?

Also why should we not open it up to the entire state?

Like I said before, I have no problem hiring a guy who is already here, but lets put him up against everyone in the state and make sure he is the best guy.

Because the best man for the job is Rick Owens. We don't need to go outside. You will not find a more dedicated man towards the students, staff, community and the sport of football and all sports here at Cuero. He is the man for the job.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

ol country boy
01-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Coach Owens would do a good job. Give em a shot, Cuero!

TRUBLU
01-24-2010, 12:11 AM
where was he b4 Cuero ?

crabman
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Rockport-Fulton

crabman
01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
The tendency to hire from within is human nature. "Better the devil that you know than the devil that you don't know".

Right or wrong, human nature is hard to overcome.

Say you have a thousand people with an opinion. 500 want Candidate A and 500 want Candidate B who are both good. You will have 500 who are really happy with your hire and 500 who are not that thrilled but they can live with it.

If you open up the interviews and hire Candidate C from the outside you risk having 1000 people who are not happy. Of course, if he wins, like most Cuero coaches do, all is forgotten and forgiven.

All I am saying is that the hire from within is human nature and safe. I don't find it all that unusual.

Like all coaches who are hired in Cuero, whomever it is will receive unprecedented support from the Booster Club and community. Like Headhunter said, there is a reason this is one of the top coaching spots in the state.

1stnurseryman
01-24-2010, 06:22 PM
I think first an foremost what some people are forgetting is that this is an AD job not just a head football job. This is where coach Reeve has seperated himself from all of the previous AD's we
have had in the past here in Cuero. I believe that is why so many people here in Cuero would like to stay in house with the new AD. There is already so many good head coach's in place here that people are worried that a new AD will bring in his own people and that is where the uncertainty lies. Not saying that staying in house keeps our current coach's intact are not its just something the school board must take into consideration. Just like headhunter said the football in Cuero will take care of its self here in Cuero. That is why replacing a man like Mark Reeve is so hard to do. Just hope the school board does the right thing and no i will not pretend to know what that is. All i can say is thank you Mark Reeve for a great seven years.

Green Bling
01-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Very well said 1stNM and Crabman! The board meeting Wed. night is going to be a long one. Lots of agenda items as is always the case this time of year. Hope CueroDad or someone else on this board plans to attend and can keep us posted. Mike Foreman might tweet on the Advocate website as he did from the VISD board meeting. Would be worth checking their site. Prayers for clear heads for all.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
You bet, good points have been made for hiring inside/outside.

Having had kids go through the program before and during Coach Reeve's tenure I feel qualified to offer this perspective. The quality of our athletic staff THROUGHOUT has never come close to this level. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to assemble high-character "winners" like we have working with our kids right now. I am talking across the board - boys & girls programs. The GIRLS are finally having unprecedented success in several sports. Coach Reeve either went out and hired coaches or put the right coaches in the right spots to improve these programs.

I've always felt that if the Cuero's mammas and pappas could continuously make great football players, they were also making great volleyball/basketball, etc players too. They've just never had a chance and in the past I feel those sports were always an afterthought for our past AD's. Not so with Coach Reeve. (THANK YOU SIR.)

I promise you no one loves football more than I do, NO ONE, but for all of the parents with kids involved in the other sports, there has got to be a lot of concern for continuity. Hiring from outside/inside will ABSOLUTELY affect the makeup of the current staff.

Having said all that I feel without a doubt Rick Owens would ALSO do a FANTASTIC job with our football program.

I would make a suggestion to the board and I don't think it's an unreasonable one. As part of the decision making process, I think they should meet with the current staff, and get their input on what kind of job they think Rick would do if selected. These men & women are in the business and have worked with other AD's either at Cuero or other schools. The board could put however much weight they want to in this information, but at least they would KNOW how the coaches (whom have worked with Rick on a daily basis) feel about his leadership potential. For all the progress we've made I don't think this would be too much to ask. I'm thinking they might really get a better feel for what kind of a man they are considering.

I know Rick very well personally and KNOW he would care about ALL of our kids. This is why I feel he is the right man for the job.

Sorry for going on so long.

Green Bling
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
IMO, not unreasonable at all, WGC. Campus committees routinely interview prospective employees and then share their conclusions with their principals. Having current coaching staff do the same seems reasonable and beneficial in assisting the board in this weighty decision.

gobblerathlete
01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
As a current athlete i know i speak for many of the other athletes when i say Rick Owens is a top notch choice. He has a great connection with us and we know that he wants absolutely what's best for us. It will be dang hard to find someone that cares as much for the kids as he does. He can get more out of us than what most people would think possible. All great coaches have to be given that first chance and i think this is that chance for Coach Owens.

Gobbler Fan
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
^^^ that is what its all about . I hope the School Board makes a wise decision

crabman
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
One last thing and I will leave this alone. Whether it is Rick Owens or a mystery candidate, we are really not that bad off timewise. I know it seems like days are ticking off the clock. Mark Reeve was hired in April. If it is meant to be, it is meant to be.

When this is over I will be reminded of the line from The Matrix. "What happened, happened, and could not have happened any other way". That just means that someone bigger than us is guiding things and they will work out in the only way they can work out. I know what you are thinking.........I should have taken the Blue Pill. (another shameless Matrix reference)

Green Bling
01-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Mike Forman emailed me and said he would probably blog from the board meeting Wed. night. His blog is on the Victoria Advocate website.

Blue42
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I feel like I'm listening to the final Jeopardy music over and over in my head.

cowboy1234
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Has Coach Owens ever been a Offensive or Defensive Coordinator?

ol country boy
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
yes

tlc84
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Who is still in the running for the Cuero job?? Heard some rumblings but since this is the day it is to happen was wondering who is still available.

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Coach Owens is still in the running. Supt. will make a recommendation to the board tonight. We'll just have to hide and watch what happens. Will this day ever end? Will be a long board meeting as there are a number of items on the agenda.

rojosgirl
01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Not sure what parents and the town folks think, but the guys love Coach Owens. He's a great man and would be an excellant choice as the next CHS athletic director. This has all gone on TOO long! Hope the BOE doesn't disappoint.

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
What about the Schulenburg coach, wasn't he the first choice when Reeve's was hired. I know he has 2 son's that are fine athlete's with the oldest being a stud QB, be hard to turn him down if he applied.

12thMan
01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I would like to see a list of all the coaches that applied for this job.

wildcatag79
01-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Hire Coach Owens as the new HC/AD and let him hire the Schulenburg coach as his OC.

hookandladder
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by wildcatag79
Hire Coach Owens as the new HC/AD and let him hire the Schulenburg coach as his OC.

Highly unlikely but how sweet that would be for Cuero.

truebluestang
01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
How could anyone apply? The job hasn't even opened up. Heard the coach at Ingleside was interested. 54-19 record in Ingleside the last six years. The six years before that the record was almost the same at the school but wins and losses reversed.

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Mike Forman is tweeting from the board meeting. It will be a long meeting, but he'll keep us posted.

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Mike Forman is tweeting from the board meeting. It will be a long meeting, but he'll keep us posted. I wonder if that will be the new thing to be banned :thinking:

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Hm, hard to figure what idiot thing someone might think up, but it is a public meeting.

44INAROW
01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I wonder if that will be the new thing to be banned :thinking:

am I missing something???:confused:

ol country boy
01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
any news

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
None yet, but the are a bazillion items on the agenda, one of which is setting practice times for cheerleader tryouts. From past experience as a former cheerleader sponsor, this could be a long drawn out affair. :D :D

cowboy1234
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Where is Forman blogging from? I could not find it on the victoria advocate website.

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
am I missing something???:confused: I was referring to him twittering at the meeting. I was just sayin, eventually someone will use it in a private setting and cause a big issue. But yeah, I am interested to see who they pick

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
He's on Twitter. mikeforman21. He tweets:
At the Cuero school board meeting. It could be a long one. Stay tuned.

When he tweeted from the VISD board meeting, it also appeared on the Advocate website.

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh I see Nate - ;) lol Yea I got a little sidetracked there but now we are on page :cool:

44INAROW
01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
lol Yea I got a little sidetracked there but now we are on page :cool:
I finally remembered my Tweeter password, I am signed up, following Mike Forman and waiting on news :) Watching the UT basketball game, hoping to get a glimpse of Lil44's girlfriend cheering tonight...........

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 09:28 PM
I finally remembered my Tweeter password, I am signed up, following Mike Forman and waiting on news :) Watching the UT basketball game, hoping to get a glimpse of Lil44's girlfriend cheering tonight...........
Which on is she?

NateDawg39
01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I signed up for twitter but it got ooooooold

cowboy1234
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Owens hired by Unanimous Vote

44INAROW
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Cuero assistant Rick Owens named AD/head football coach by unanimous vote of board of trustees \

Congrats to Coach Owens. I've heard nothing but positive comments about Coach Owens and most of those comments are from recent and current athletes. Again, Rick congrats and good luck in the next chapter of your career!

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Think this will be really good for our kids. Glad to see it was by unanimous vote.

44INAROW
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Which on is she?

the cute burnette in orange and white :D :D :D :D seriously, we haven't spotted her yet.. then I started getting texts about the board meeting and I haven't watched the game since ;)

Think this will be really good for our kids. Glad to see it was by unanimous vote.

me too -

Onward on to the next step Gobblers :)

The Kracken
01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I can't help but think that the most important thing for Owens was the unanimous vote, shows that he had the full support of the school board. The grandkids seemed to be excited about the announcement.

BIG MO
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
i feel best choice for now way to go rick

44INAROW
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by The Kracken
I can't help but think that the most important thing for Owens was the unanimous vote, shows that he had the full support of the school board. The grandkids seemed to be excited about the announcement.
I agree Kracken and I also heard it was a 2 year contract - shows confindence. I am excited now. Can't wait for Booster CLub next week. Who knew at the last meeting (1st weds of Jan) that we'd have a new AD HC at the February meeting? Onward through the fog :p

Green Bling
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Onward through the fog :p [/B]
No fog in the board room tonight! So glad he got the complete vote of confidence. Not to "stir the pot" but... Coordinators? Will be interesting. Sure he'll make good decisions there.