PDA

View Full Version : Be proud, UT fans...

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Last night the Texas Longhorns were part of a game that began with the best, most beautiful rendition of our National Anthem that I have ever seen and heard...

Flea, that dude singin', that dude drummin' and those cats on the horns made me swell up with pride... no pop/rock/r&b star getting up there trying to go all crazy with their voices... just a simple attempt that not only hit the mark, it crushed it...

Ku-freakin'-dos, boys...

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Last night the Texas Longhorns were part of a game that began with the best, most beautiful rendition of our National Anthem that I have ever seen and heard...

Flea, that dude singin', that dude drummin' and those cats on the horns made me swell up with pride... no pop/rock/r&b start getting up there trying to go all crazy with their voices... just a simple attempt that not only hit the mark, it crushed it...

Ku-freakin'-dos, boys...

lol i was not a fan of the anthem

waterboy
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
x2

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Everyone has their different tastes... but for me, it seems these guys wanted the song to be about the song, the words, the meaning... the bass, drums and horns highlighted the words and didn't clash with them...

Flea played the bass quiet but with constant strums, kind of a rumble to it... distant thunder-like...

the drums had the military-esque beat...

the horns gave it a drop of sweetness for the ear and the singer (man I forget his name, Josh or something) just sang it, didn't twist and turn in...

nailed it IMO...

Maroon87
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

It had kind of an odd pace to it....definitely different. Was the singer Josh Groban?:thinking:

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I was just glad they actually got to the National Anthem. I wish when the give a kick off time that they would actually kick off then.
It seems like a simple solution to me. if you want pregame then schedule it before the game. WOW what an idea:D
Ok stepping off my soap box now:D

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
basically what I'm saying is that it was better than getting Whitney Houston, Ashley Simpson or some other singer up there to try and cough their way through it...

BullsFan
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It had kind of an odd pace to it....definitely different. Was the singer Josh Groban?:thinking:

Yes, it was.

I didn't hear a lot of it, since there was a lot of noise in the room, but man...that was some weird kind of combination right there. Flea and Josh Groban...? Oooookay.

For my part, I LOVED the National Anthem at the Fiesta Bowl. I thought Michael McDonald sounded superlative, and the bald eagle gliding through the stadium made it that much more poignant. I might have even gotten a little choked up. Good stuff.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
basically what I'm saying is that it was better than getting Whitney Houston, Ashley Simpson or some other singer up there to try and cough their way through it...

I think Whitney's before the SB in 90 was one of the best ever

sinfan75
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
National Anthem and America The Beautiful were both sung the way they should be sung. The singers highlighted the songs not their voices like most singers like to do.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
National Anthem and America The Beautiful were both sung the way they should be sung. The singers highlighted the songs not their voices like most singers like to do.

and I really hated America the Beautiful..imo she was pitchy and drug it out with long notes lol

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I think Whitney's before the SB in 90 was one of the best ever

I just don't find singers turning a 60 silible song into 300 silibles 'cos they want to show off with their vocal circus good stuff... I'm just too simple I'm tellin' ya ha...

the less theatrics and the more music and meaning make it better for me... just ask Dusty from Pure Country ;)

And I agree with sinfan, America The Beautiful was also great... she just sang the damn thing... she even got off-key a couple of times and rushed ahead toword the end but it was raw... raw's good unless you're out of gold-bond...

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I just don't find singers turning a 60 silible song into 300 silibles 'cos they want to show off with their vocal circus good stuff... I'm just too simple I'm tellin' ya ha...

the less theatrics and the more music and meaning make it better for me... just ask Dusty from Pure Country ;)

And I agree with sinfan, America The Beautiful was also great... she just sang the damn thing... she even got off-key a couple of times and rushed ahead toword the end but it was raw... raw's good unless you're out of gold-bond...

u ever seen that version? IMO she sang it with the emotion of the time and was spot on..She did not IMO make it about her, but celebrated the song and what it stands for

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
u ever seen that version? IMO she sang it with the emotion of the time and was spot on..She did not IMO make it about her, but celebrated the song and what it stands for

I don't remember it... she probably did pretty damn good... but yesterday she wouldn't have, her voice is washed up and Ashley Simpson just sucks... back then (as if it were 1890) they were simpler and reflected the meaning more... she probably nailed it as well...

just saying last night's was comforting and went against the sterotypical show-off versions we've been having as of late...

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QmeEdFOSc

StangEm
01-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
x2

x3

DaHop72
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I think Whitney's before the SB in 90 was one of the best ever x10

Diocletian
01-08-2010, 07:50 PM
It was a great performance.

Nothing too over the top, nothing too fancy, perfect melody, accurate wording.

Nice graceful sound too.

I think it's the best in a while, I've heard.

Blastoderm55
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
It threw me off an account of the band and the singer being out of sync.