PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Gilbert

Old Tiger
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Wow just wow is all I can say about him to come in to the national championship game as a true freshmen. It took him a while to get started but he showed signs of greatness that we have all expected to see and I think the university of Texas is set for the next 2-3 years with him. I know he had 4 turnovers but he also had a touchdown pass dropped by Malcolm Williams.

What is everyone else opinion on him and his performance?

Third
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Wow just wow is all I can say about him to come in to the national championship game as a true freshmen. It took him a while to get started but he showed signs of greatness that we have all expected to see and I think the university of Texas is set for the next 2-3 years with him. I know he had 4 turnovers but he also had a touchdown pass dropped by Malcolm Williams.

Looking forward to next year. Gilbert looks like the real deal.

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
He made his share of mistakes, some critical, but it's hard to fault a kid who barely played all year as a true freshman and then suddenly be told to get in there against the #1 defense in the NCAA in the national championship game.

Early on, there were several catchable passes that were dropped on him, including one for a TD. That couldn't have helped his confidence. And I think that inexplicable play call for a shovel pass at the end of the first half couldn't have helped, either. Going into halftime down 17-6 is manageable; down 24-6 at halftime with a true freshman seeing his first real test against a top-ranked defense, not so much. That's an awful lot to expect, and yet he still launched a respectable comeback in the second half.

Gilbert seemed to look more confident once McCoy came back to the sidelines and helped rally the team. And after the long TD connection to Shipley, he definitely looked more confident. I think that one play helped him grow up a lot. I was impressed that he was able to mentally regroup and get some things done after such a rotten start in the first half.

The Garrett Gilbert era began one game sooner than Longhorns fans would have wanted, but I think he'll be okay moving forward. It will help to get a lot of reps early next year against defenses not nearly as talented as Alabama's. Maybe by the time they get into the meat of the Big 12 schedule, he will have amassed enough experience and confidence to lead them to more good times.

OLE'BULL
01-08-2010, 10:47 AM
This kid can play. He didnt have alot of help from his recievers (especially M. Williams) but alot of the problem was the timing. The receivers are used to Colt and its hard to make a game time adjustment to a new QB, especially in the national championship. Im not a longhorn fan by any means, but I might have to start pulling for Gilbert. The kids a gamer, the horns will be fine next year without Colt

Green Bling
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Talk about baptism by fire!!

shamu85
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Garrett Gilbert will win a Heisman before he leaves UT. I have seen the kid play several times when he was in HS, and he has a lot of poise. Once he gets the reps, and all the plays of the offense, he will be great. IF....his receivers can hold onto the ball. The shovel pass int was the receiver's fault. Williams couldn't hold onto his own arse last night, either.

Cowboy_Up
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree that the kid will be a very good college QB.

What I didn't like was how they used him early on. I understand they wanted to protect him and let him adjust to the game, but run, run, 3rd and long now even my wife knows he's going to pass didn't protect him.
As soon as they started throwing on 1st down he started to get some looks. The tide defense is real good; telegraph what's coming and you have no chance.

Last point, all this run up the score style point during the regular season and let’s get Colt the Heisman hurt the horns last night.
Go back over the season and look at how many games the horns won by large margins and explain how your backup QB can take so few live action snaps.
Biggest difference between Saben and most other college coaches is he doesn't buy into all that crap and just wants to prepare his team to win football games. Of course there is no way to predict an injury to your star QB at the worst possible time, but a good coach is always preparing their team. Makes no sense to me how Texas could have so many blow out wins and Gilbert get so little time.

Having said all that, Gilbert sure has the look of a great QB for the future.

wimbo_pro
01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I notice a lot of returning players for Texas. They will be in the hunt for the next few years. All is good in Texas!

Old Tiger
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up

Last point, all this run up the score style point during the regular season and let’s get Colt the Heisman hurt the horns last night.
Go back over the season and look at how many games the horns won by large margins and explain how your backup QB can take so few live action snaps.
Biggest difference between Saben and most other college coaches is he doesn't buy into all that crap and just wants to prepare his team to win football games. Of course there is no way to predict an injury to your star QB at the worst possible time, but a good coach is always preparing their team. Makes no sense to me how Texas could have so many blow out wins and Gilbert get so little time.
If you go back to the end of those games a lot of Gilbert's throws were swing passes and just throws out to the perimeter and the coaching staff didn't give him many opportunities to throw deep. Also they ran the ball 90% of the time when Gilbert was in.

Maroon87
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I was impressed with Gilbert especially in the second half. The line did a good job giving him time in the pocket.

Old Tiger
01-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I also think since Gilbert has a better arm than Colt that we'll see a more wide open vertical passing game with the offense. Anyone else care to predict what the offense will look like in the future for the Horns?

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
I agree that the kid will be a very good college QB.

What I didn't like was how they used him early on. I understand they wanted to protect him and let him adjust to the game, but run, run, 3rd and long now even my wife knows he's going to pass didn't protect him.
Precisely. I think the first half play calling was setting Gilbert up for failure. If you're Alabama, just stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and then blitz like mad on 3rd and long -- and Gilbert would have almost no chance.

You could sense the kid growing up quickly in the second half, though, once the protection was better and the play calling wasn't as restrained.

shamu85
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29

You could sense the kid growing up quickly in the second half, though, once the protection was better and the play calling wasn't as restrained.

Plus, you gotta think there is NO WAY he thought he was going to be playing in this game, at least not so early.

Pick6
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone else care to predict what the offense will look like in the future for the Horns?

Greg Davis will still be the OC. He'll find away to screw it up.

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
You have to admire the kid for hanging in there and finally getting a little positive momentum. He will be a good QB for Texas. But overall I give the QB play for Texas last night a big F.(maybe a D-) Not Gilberts fault though. I put it squarely on the coaches shoulders. A National Championship caliber team CANNOT have a true freshman as their backup. End of story!

3afan
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
he'll ba a good one!

BullsFan
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm feeling pretty good about the 'Horns future after last night.

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
he'll ba a good one!
If 5 turnovers is an indication of a good one!

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker

Yeah, even with those five I feel good about it.

Gilbert has some serious skills. If the recruiting stays up, and receivers keep rolling in, I think he will be awesome.

BullsFan
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker

Given the circumstances, the pressure, the stakes, yes, even with the 5 he looks good. And given how much of what happened wasn't his fault--receivers dropping catchable balls, questionable coaching and ref calls...yeah, he looks really good.

Pick6
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
A National Championship caliber team CANNOT have a true freshman as their backup. End of story!

Showing your ignorance again. OU won a National Championship with a true freshman.

waterboy
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Showing your ignorance again. OU won a National Championship with a true freshman.
Didn't he actually start a few games that year? Gilbert not only didn't start any games this year, he didn't get much PT at all. That's the difference. Considering the situation he was put in, I think Gilbert did just fine. With a few more starts I think he will be another great QB. I would hope that he gets some help, though, in the running game early in his career, because if he doesn't, he'll definitely have a baptism by fire. With McCoy, he survived without a very good running game because of his arm and mobility, and his football IQ.....which is off the charts.

Maroon87
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Jamelle Hollaway?:thinking:

STANG RED
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is how good I think Gilbert did last night: Case McCoy should take a serious look at going somewhere else next year. And no this is not a joke. Case is just a victim on the circumstance. He should take Jevon Sneeds lead on this. Only do it a year sooner.

Pick6
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Jamelle Hollaway?:thinking:

Yes

Pick6
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Here is how good I think Gilbert did last night: Case McCoy should take a serious look at going somewhere else next year. And no this is not a joke. Case is just a victim on the circumstance. He should take Jevon Sneeds lead on this. Only do it a year sooner.

Maybe Case can redshirt 1st year, back up 2nd year. If Garrett turns out like we think he'll be gone after Case's 2nd year. Case will still have 3yrs left.

eagles_victory
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Of the 5 turnovers: 2 were terrible reads and bad passes... 2 were dropped passes that went into the defenders arm and the fumble he didnt have much of a chance on either although you could argue he should of saw the blitz. If Davis calls the downfield passing game more often when Gilbert comes in we may be talking about a different result.

STANG RED
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Maybe Case can redshirt 1st year, back up 2nd year. If Garrett turns out like we think he'll be gone after Case's 2nd year. Case will still have 3yrs left.

That is a good way to look at it, and I cant really disagree. But if we learned anything from last nights game, it should be this. You better have two experienced QBs ready to go at any moment.
So, what other QBs does Texas have besides Gilbert? Who will be his backup next season, if Case redshirts?

themsu97
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM

of course that is all under the premise that Case is better than Connor Wood right?
Connor Wood is not too shabby...

Deuce
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Doubt this will happen, because he is already there taking classes.

Gobbla2001
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
Doubt this will happen, because he is already there taking classes.

I doubt it will happen myself, but not because he is already taking classes at UT... those hours transfer... he hasn't played a down...

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM

You show your ignorance sir! I said as a "BACKUP"!!!!! It takes maturity and understanding of the game to stand on the sidelines all season and be ready to produce when you are finally called. So crawl back in your hole and wait for another chance to speak!

Pick6
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
You show your ignorance sir! I said as a "BACKUP"!!!!! It takes maturity and understanding of the game to stand on the sidelines all season and be ready to produce when you are finally called. So crawl back in your hole and wait for another chance to speak!

He was a backup for a NC caliber team. The starter got injured and he then came in. Read what you said, you said a NC Caliber team can't go into a season with a true freshman as a backup. You are wrong, as usual. Keep twisting things to change your original quote like you always do.

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
He was a backup for a NC caliber team. The starter got injured and he then came in. Read what you said, you said a NC Caliber team can't go into a season with a true freshman as a backup. You are wrong, as usual. Keep twisting things to change your original quote like you always do.

The National Championship Caliber team lost the game because they had a true freshman as their backup! Get a clue.

"Originally posted by Farmersfan
A National Championship caliber team CANNOT have a true freshman as their backup. End of story!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick6
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
The National Championship Caliber team lost the game because they had a true freshman as their backup! Get a clue.

"Originally posted by Farmersfan
A National Championship caliber team CANNOT have a true freshman as their backup. End of story!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And your original statement was proved wrong. OU did it. Real end of story!!

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
And your original statement was proved wrong. OU did it. Real end of story!!

Jamelle Holieway was a phenom and was the ONLY freshman to ever lead his team to a championship. He also took over for Troy Aikman earlier in the season so had some experience under his belt before going into the championship game. If a single Freshman getting the start halfway through the season and winning a Championship proves me wrong then so be it! You get to win so seldom that I will yeild on this point. You are correct sir! It has been done..........ONCE!!!!!!!!

jockcity33
01-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Gilbert will be a good QB, he proved that last night, he got better as the game progressed. In my opinion I think the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Mack Brown for not getting him more quality reps thourghout the season. I mean come on only 27 snaps before last night and most of those he was just handing the ball off in mop up duty. Browns fault for trying to get colt the heisman by adding to his stats.

Pick6
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
You are correct sir! It has been done..........ONCE!!!!!!!!

Not really, it's just the 1st time you've been man enough to admit the truth or is it you couldn't find another way to twist your own words?

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Not really, it's just the 1st time you've been man enough to admit the truth or is it you couldn't find another way to twist your own words?

You are simply a Jerk by your very nature aren't you!
I said I was wrong for stating a National Championship team CANNOT have a true freshman as their backup. ONE team in the entire history of the NCAA has done it but I guess ONE cancels out the "CANNOT" part. So I admit it! I was wrong! But you still can't shut up and be a mature adult! Stop being a child. And you twisted my words, not me!

Old Tiger
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Texas biggest problem was trying to make John Chiles into a QB.

Ex-Tiger2005
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Third
Looking forward to next year. Gilbert looks like the real deal.

His long delivery needs to be tweeked but other than that I loved what I saw from Gilbert. He will be back in that situation again hopefully sooner than we can wish for!!!

NateDawg39
01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
With another McCoy heading to Texas would Brown ever use a 2 QB system?
Would one stay if the other was starting?

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
With another McCoy heading to Texas would Brown ever use a 2 QB system?
Would one stay if the other was starting?
I don't think Mack is gonna try the 2 QB system again...

I think McCoy might, I could see Gilbert transferring if he somehow got beat out though.

shamu85
01-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think Mack is gonna try the 2 QB system again...

I think McCoy might, I could see Gilbert transferring if he somehow got beat out though.

I tell ya, I don't see that happening in a million years. Garrett Gilbert will win a Heisman at UT.

LionFan72
01-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Gilbert played well after being thrust into the teeth of a NC defense. He has a great future and that future will be challenged by little McCoy next spring. Gilbert learned a lot, I think Mac learned a lot, or at least I pray. Texas football is alive and well with Gilbert in control, with a "seasoned" fish dangling in waiting. Transfer, think not, this is TEXAS!

Spread It Out
01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Connor Wood will get the nod over Case for backup duties as long as there's no politicking, IMO.

LE Dad
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Connor Wood will get the nod over Case for backup duties as long as there's no politicking, IMO. Wood did look good in what little action he got today. Someone will no doubt get redshirted or transfer. I think Colt going down gave Gilbert a huge advantage going into spring.:thinking:

Old Tiger
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
Connor Wood will get the nod over Case for backup duties as long as there's no politicking, IMO. I know a kid who was in camp with both Connor and Case and he said Case was the better of the two.

shamu85
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Wood did look good in what little action he got today. Someone will no doubt get redshirted or transfer. I think Colt going down gave Gilbert a huge advantage going into spring.:thinking:

Actually, I think the fact that Gilbert is a great QB gave him a huge advantage anyway. This kid did not win Gatorade player of the year for no reason.

Spread It Out
01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I know a kid who was in camp with both Connor and Case and he said Case was the better of the two.

Oh, well then I may be wrong. I may be a little biased since I've never seen Case play but I saw Connor play twice and I was very, very impressed. It's still a great honor to be a quarterback for the Texas Longhorns.

STANG RED
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
I tell ya, I don't see that happening in a million years. Garrett Gilbert will win a Heisman at UT.

It would be much better for the program for Garrett to not get into a Heisman race. Had McCoy not been in one, maybe Garrett would have gotten a lot more playing time this season, and he wouldnt have been so shell shocked when he had to go in against Bama. For all of the good things he did in that game, none of it happened till the second half.

I dont believe in platooning QBs at any level. But you have to find a way to get your backup as much meaningful time under center as possible. I truley believe Texas would have won the NC, had Garrett been able to go in with a lot more playing time under his belt, which would have given him a lot more confidence. And I believe the coaches and players would have had much more confidence in him as well.

Emerson1
01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
It would be much better for the program for Garrett to not get into a Heisman race. Had McCoy not been in one, maybe Garrett would have gotten a lot more playing time this season, and he wouldnt have been so shell shocked when he had to go in against Bama. For all of the good things he did in that game, none of it happened till the second half.
He saw action in the 8 games that were blowouts and I remember couple of times they let him play a series early.

STANG RED
01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He saw action in the 8 games that were blowouts and I remember couple of times they let him play a series early.

Thats why I put the phrase "meaningful time under center" in my post. Mop up time in blowouts are useless. You could train a monkey to do that.

NateDawg39
01-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I bet there were a ton of young guys from other colleges wishing they could have been in his shoes as scary of a moment it must have been for him at first.

sinfan75
01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I dont believe in platooning QBs at any level. But you have to find a way to get your backup as much meaningful time under center as possible. I truley believe Texas would have won the NC, had Garrett been able to go in with a lot more playing time under his belt, which would have given him a lot more confidence. And I believe the coaches and players would have had much more confidence in him as well. I'm not gonna say Texas woulda won but their chances woulda been better if Garret had more playin time during the year. I think the playbook woulda more open in the 1st half than what it was. I think the Texas coachin staff might have learned their lesson this year on both sides of the ball.

shamu85
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM

I dont believe in platooning QBs at any level. But you have to find a way to get your backup as much meaningful time under center as possible. I truley believe Texas would have won the NC, had Garrett been able to go in with a lot more playing time under his belt, which would have given him a lot more confidence. And I believe the coaches and players would have had much more confidence in him as well.

Good point, but it may be unavoidable...the kid is that good.

STANG RED
01-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Good point, but it may be unavoidable...the kid is that good.

True enough. Maybe Mack Brown will handle it a little smarter next time around.
I guess theres worse things than having your QB be good enough to be in the Heisman hunt.:D