PDA

View Full Version : The Interception that shouldn't of been

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 08:42 AM
4 th down and 23. a fake punt and pass that was picked off. Why catch this ball? knock it down and take the ball where the play started deep in ' Bamas territory.
I'm sorry I was thrilled when he caught it and then I realized it was 4th down. :thinking:

gatordaze
01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
4 th down and 23. a fake punt and pass that was picked off. Why catch this ball? knock it down and take the ball where the play started deep in ' Bamas territory.
I'm sorry I was thrilled when he caught it and then I realized it was 4th down. :thinking:

After last season Gidoen will never drop another ball!

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Yeah No Kiddin :D

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
It's hard to undo something that has developed into instinct over many years of playing the game, I guess. Unless you're constantly thinking "it's 4th down, knock it down, don't intercept," you'll probably intercept there.

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
This wins stupid post of the week.

Rocket Dad
01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
To me not stupid at all. Some defensive staffs use a certain call on all 4th downs to the defense to remind them to knock a ball down on 4th down if possible. Smart football.

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
This wins stupid post of the week. How is that stupid? catch the ball and get it at the 45 or knock it down and get it at the 19. No brainer. You just have to know whats going on

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
How is that stupid? catch the ball and get it at the 45 or knock it down and get it at the 19. No brainer. You just have to know whats going on
Because you are having major hindsight bias. His job on that play is to block for the return man. Ball is snapped, next thing the Gideon knows the punter is throwing up a pass. You natural instinct as a human is to catch the ball, not knock it down.

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Because you are having major hindsight bias. His job on that play is to block for the return man. Ball is snapped, next thing the Gideon knows the punter is throwing up a pass. You natural instinct as a human is to catch the ball, not knock it down. I would see that if he wasn't a defensive back. But the fact a punter threw the ball should be the clue that its fourth down. I know every defensive back is taught that.
Like I said before I was glad he caught it. its just one of those things you think of after the fact.

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 12:40 PM
... , next thing the Gideon knows the punter is throwing up a pass. You natural instinct as a human is to catch the ball, not knock it down.
I am going to respectfully disagree.

Obviously Gideon did not know it was the punter throwing up a pass.

Why? Because if he knew it was the punter, he never would have caught it.

There was no hindsight necessary. Last night I could not believe he caught that instead of knocking it down. In my opinion, it was one of many glaring coaching failures that cost Texas the game.

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
it was one of many glaring coaching failures that cost Texas the game.
Ok I lied. This gets stupid post of the week.

kaorder1999
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
honestly...i would have been happy that the ball was intercepted and not caught by bama but I would have went straight to that player and let him know how pissed off I am that he didnt knock down that ball. THEN....i would have told him good play now make up for that! lol

The kid should have knocked it down....that is something that they are coached...the kid made a mistake. BUT....he did do his job in keeping the bama kid from catching it

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Ok I lied. This gets stupid post of the week.
LOL. Well that really hurts. Especially considering the exemplary football knowledge you display.

IMO. It is a coaching failure when your players lose situational awareness.

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
LOL. Well that really hurts. Especially considering the exemplary football knowledge you display.

IMO. It is a coaching failure when your players lose situational awareness.
To say that cost them the game is stupid. They still got the ball down to the 1 and couldn't get it in

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
To say that cost them the game is stupid. They still got the ball down to the 1 and couldn't get it in
I did not say it cost them the game. Stupid is ... the educational system that failed you so egregiously.

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
honestly...i would have been happy that the ball was intercepted and not caught by bama but I would have went straight to that player and let him know how pissed off I am that he didnt knock down that ball. THEN....i would have told him good play now make up for that! lol

The kid should have knocked it down....that is something that they are coached...the kid made a mistake. BUT....he did do his job in keeping the bama kid from catching it :iagree:

3afan
01-08-2010, 01:18 PM
IMO to blame a coach on a player brain fart is way to easy ...

and to say Mack Brown was out coached? how? he was playing with less than a full deck, I think the Texa staff did a great job, it was the turnovers that cost 'em the game

STANG RED
01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I think it was amazing for him to even have the awareness to even be in position to make the int. Sure he should have batted it down, but give the kid a break. Who (but the Bama coaches) would have even dreamed to fake the punt in that position? NOBODY!!! The kid had to make a split second reaction, to a stupid play that shouldnt have even been happening. What does he get for doing such a fantastic job on that play? Second guessing by football ignorant morons that couldnt carry his jockstrap. :doh:

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I think it was amazing for him to even have the awareness to even be in position to make the int. Sure he should have batted it down, but give the kid a break. Who (but the Bama coaches) would have even dreamed to fake the punt in that position? NOBODY!!! The kid had to make a split second reaction, to a stupid play that shouldnt have even been happening. What does he get for doing such a fantastic job on that play? Second guessing by football ignorant morons that couldnt carry his jockstrap. :doh: Oh, so if me knowing the rules and how the game should be played makes me a moron well then I guess your right.
I didn't say he made a bad play or didn't know what he was doing, or badmouthed him in any way. I simply pointed out a play that could have been different.
Man yall need to relax:D

Looking4number8
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
So what you are saying is if he would have knocked the pass down instead of cathing it, there would have been different plays called on that drive and therefore McCoy would not have ran the option up the middle and would have not gotten hurt. Now he will drop in the draft because of the injury and loss of the game, Which we would have won if McCoy was still in the game which he would have been if Gideon did not catch the throw from the punter. Hmm, so are you also saying McCoy should sue Gideon for the millions of dollars he cost Colt when he caught that ball?

I know this post is stupid but not as stupid as the original post... Catch the damn ball, take no chances, stop the play!!!! Great play Gideon!!

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I am not that worried that there is a bit of a heated discussion happening.

So I'll say it then.

The play was bad.
He didn't know what he was doing.

And, the fact that he didn't know what he was doing rests squarely on the coaching staff.

It was a mistake.

One of many.

By pointing out what happened was not correct, is not you bad mouthing the player. On this planet there are just some super sensitive types who could use some time in an equipment shed.

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
So what you are saying is if he would have knocked the pass down instead of cathing it, there would have been different plays called on that drive and therefore McCoy would not have ran the option up the middle and would have not gotten hurt. Now he will drop in the draft because of the injury and loss of the game, Which we would have won if McCoy was still in the game which he would have been if Gideon did not catch the throw from the punter. Hmm, so are you also saying McCoy should sue Gideon for the millions of dollars he cost Colt when he caught that ball?

I know this post is stupid but not as stupid as the original post... Catch the damn ball, take no chances, stop the play!!!! Great play Gideon!! I never said anything about it being a game changer. what is up with you people. I'm not knocking Texas or Gideon. It was just an observation and after the fact second guessing.

themsu97
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I am not that worried that there is a bit of a heated discussion happening.

So I'll say it then.

The play was bad.
He didn't know what he was doing.

And, the fact that he didn't know what he was doing rests squarely on the coaching staff.

It was a mistake.

One of many.

By pointing out what happened was not correct, is not you bad mouthing the player. On this planet there are just some super sensitive types who could use some time in an equipment shed.

are you really saying that Gideon had no idea it was fourth down? did you not notice that he was lined up to block the punt then retreated to cover the receiver who the ball was thrown to?
If Gideon did not know that it was the punter and not McElroy then that is all on Gideon, not the coaching staff...
Gideon made a great play, period... and he may have thought that the reciever would be trying to catch the ball as well and did what he felt was best...quit trying to blame the coaching staff

TheDOCTORdre
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Damn people don't you understand that the people who are arguing that Gideon should have knocked the pass down are so smart/aware/atheletic, that they would have known exactly what to do in game time speed and would have been able to make that split second desicion and knock the ball down. Thats why there on here making the observation because it would have been so easy for them to have done that:rolleyes:

Emerson1
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Damn people don't you understand that the people who are arguing that Gideon should have knocked the pass down are so smart/aware/atheletic, that they would have known exactly what to do in game time speed and would have been able to make that split second desicion and knock the ball down. Thats why there on here making the observation because it would have been so easy for them to have done that:rolleyes:
I forget that Gideon is a complete football idiot. He has obviously been successful based on his blazing 4.3 speed, 55 inch vertical and shut down cover skills.

Looking4number8
01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
My first post was just kind of a BS post with a little bit of truth to it, however since I recorded the game last night I just went back and watched that play. When I rewatched it, it looks like Gideons job was to keep the cover man from making the tackle. He saw the cover guy turn back to look at the punter and realized something was up, turned his head and the ball was on its way toward him. He went for the ball and made the play all within about a 2 or 3 second time frame. yep, the best play was to knock it down but I have to vote for his trian instincts were to intercept the pass, I dont think he was completly aware where every one else was on the field and an interception was the only sure sure way to prevent Alabama from getting to the pass.

just my 2 cents worth

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Damn people don't you understand that the people who are arguing that Gideon should have knocked the pass down are so smart/aware/atheletic, that they would have known exactly what to do in game time speed and would have been able to make that split second desicion and knock the ball down. Thats why there on here making the observation because it would have been so easy for them to have done that:rolleyes: 20 years ago maybe:D

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
My first post was just kind of a BS post with a little bit of truth to it, however since I recorded the game last night I just went back and watched that play. When I rewatched it, it looks like Gideons job was to keep the cover man from making the tackle. He saw the cover guy turn back to look at the punter and realized something was up, turned his head and the ball was on its way toward him. He went for the ball and made the play all within about a 2 or 3 second time frame. yep, the best play was to knock it down but I have to vote for his trian instincts were to intercept the pass, I dont think he was completly aware where every one else was on the field and an interception was the only sure sure way to prevent Alabama from getting to the pass.

just my 2 cents worth thats what I was trying to say. He made a quick decision but "what if" he would have realized it was fourth. Like I said before I was sitting there hoping he would catch it and then thought about it being fourth.

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
At game speed, JJWalker executes the level of perfection to that which he was coached.

Likewise, I believe that to be true for Gideon.

STANG RED
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
At game speed, JJWalker executes the level of perfection to that which he was coached.

Likewise, I believe that to be true for Gideon.

Sounds like JJWalker loves him some JJWalker.:rolleyes:

But I seriously doubt you could carry Gideon's jockstrap.
He might let you hand wash and fold it for him though. :D

JJWalker
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sounds like JJWalker loves him some JJWalker.:rolleyes:

But I seriously doubt you could carry Gideon's jockstrap.
He might let you hand wash and fold it for him though. :D
You see? Here we go again.

That is just another example of a coaching mistake.

sinton3055
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Even if it was a mistake made by him, it still pumped up the team and myself:D .

Diocletian
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Maybe he thought he might be able to take it in for a score?

I'd like to see the replay and check how isolated he was again..