View Full Version : Alabama-Texas

Pages : 1 [2]

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Still can't get over the shovel pass with :15 left in the half. Surprising that a coach of Mack Brown's experience would call such a play so deep in his own territory with an untested and nervous freshman QB under center. I'm sure Mack would like to have this play back, too---I think it was the biggest turning point of the game other than McCoy's injury.

+1. I can only hope that this is one piece of the reason that Greg Davis will be gone.

DaHop72
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
+1. I can only hope that this is one piece of the reason that Greg Davis will be gone. I have no dog in this fight, I will just root for a Texas team anytime against someone outside the state. But what I didn't understand is why Mack and Greg Davis did not keep the strong side to Gilbert's blind side so that he would be protect from the blitz. You would have thought that when he nearly got killed on the second Shipley touchdown that they might have seen that as well.:doh:

Bullaholic
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
+1. I can only hope that this is one piece of the reason that Greg Davis will be gone.

Slpy, after McCoy went out, and Mack called that shovel pass, I got the same feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had when I was sitting next to you at the Decatur game and the Bulls were losing 21-0...:D That one had a happy ending, though...

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Davis will have to retire..Brown stood by him thru the 5 years of OU debacles and he will stand by him now.

I honestly dont have that much of a problem with the shovel pass call..seriously..how many times has it been intercepted?

It was IMO a safe gamble that just took a crazy turn.

If Newton does squirt free on the play and they kick a FG, it is being said how gutsy the call was and a great call.

You win some and lose some on those types of calls and this time they lost

TheDOCTORdre
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Like I said on the other thread, Alabama was favored to win the game before the game started. It seems some people have forgot that.
BTW, is Colt a two way starter? Do you think UT would have scored more than 37 points if Colt was in there against a defense like bama?
UT could only score 13 points against Nebraska.

5 turnovers with 21 points off of turnovers, the last turnover if not 2 were when a young inexperienced QB was forced to throw, had Colt McCoy been in the game the Tide would not have seen anywhere close to 37 points. Factor into that the UT defense got no rest in the first half with Colt out, and being rushed back on to the field after 3 and outs that more than likely wouldn't have happened had Colt been in the game. Colt would have made a huge difference and how someone cant see that is beyond me.

Nonetheless that is not what loss Texas the game, three things IMO, cost UT the game
1 and 2. not capitalizing on the 1st 2 drives and turning them into touchdowns, especially the one where they scored but it was negated by the illegal formation penalty.
3. SHOVEL PASS, need I say more

Bullaholic
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Davis will have to retire..Brown stood by him thru the 5 years of OU debacles and he will stand by him now.

I honestly dont have that much of a problem with the shovel pass call..seriously..how many times has it been intercepted?

If Newton does squirt free on the play and they kick a FG, it is being said how gutsy the call was and a great call.

It wasn't so much the call,TxB, as it was the circumstances. Execution of a successful shovel pass requires the QB to make the same type of execution as a screen pass---the QB has to time the pitch just right and accurately. The odds of a freshman QB, who I'll wager never executed this play more than a few times in practice, executing this play under this kind of pressure at this place on the field were not good.

I agree that he would have been a hero if he had pulled it off, however.

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I have no dog in this fight, I will just root for a Texas team anytime against someone outside the state. But what I didn't understand is why Mack and Greg Davis did not keep the strong side to Gilbert's blind side so that he would be protect from the blitz. You would have thought that when he nearly got killed on the second Shipley touchdown that they might have seen that as well.:doh:

Gilbert said in postgame that he was supposed to read the hull on the weak side and adjust. Instead he focused on his receiver to the strong.

Re the hit... you do that in the NFL and you get 15. I was surprised at how wide open the Refs called this one. And NO HOLDING PENALTIES IN ALMOST 40 Quarters for a team that runs that much? BS. Sorry, but that is BS.

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Slpy, after McCoy went out, and Mack called that shovel pass, I got the same feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had when I was sitting next to you at the Decatur game and the Bulls were losing 21-0...:D That one had a happy ending, though...

LOL, yeah, I know Greg Davis calls 'em, but Mack okays 'em and I was furious over that. Mack I can forgive but Greg needs to vamoose.

And yeah, when we converted the 2 points to make is a 3 point game, I really thought this might have had a fairy tale ending like the BOBS.

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I have a problem with it. Deep in your own territory with 15 seconds left... and lets assume that you are trying to kick a FG before half... one of the worst plays to call would be the shuttle pass. Statiscally, the odds that you will make enough yardage to get within FG range is super low. Statistically, you have an even lower chance to make it to the sidelines to completely stop the clock. And the odds increase that you will take a sack or be intercepted vs. a draw. And on top of all of that, if you do complete the pass, the chances that you can break through Bama's LB and DBs for any kind of meaningful yds?

Take away that 7 points that were GIVEN to Bama and that is a different game in the second half. Certainly will not claim Texas should have won, just sick that Greg and Mack giftwrapped 7 pts there.

DaHop72
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Gilbert said in postgame that he was supposed to read the hull on the weak side and adjust. Instead he focused on his receiver to the strong.

Re the hit... you do that in the NFL and you get 15. I was surprised at how wide open the Refs called this one. And NO HOLDING PENALTIES IN ALMOST 40 Quarters for a team that runs that much? BS. Sorry, but that is BS. I heard Gilbert take the blame, but I just think Mack and Davis both should have put him in a better position to succeed. Considering he is a freshman and was thrown into a NC game I thought he did as good of job as anyone could have expected.

GrTigers6
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I heard Gilbert take the blame, but I just think Mack and Davis both should have put him in a better position to succeed. Considering he is a freshman and was thrown into a NC game I thought he did as good of job as anyone could have expected. More than anyone expected:clap:

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I heard Gilbert take the blame, but I just think Mack and Davis both should have put him in a better position to succeed. Considering he is a freshman and was thrown into a NC game I thought he did as good of job as anyone could have expected.
Gilbert was set up for failure by the play calling and dropped (or tipped and intercepted) passes in the first half; I don't really put much of that on him as a true freshman with little experience other than a little garbage time.

And I was very impressed with how much -- and how quickly -- he seemed to be growing and maturing before our eyes in the second half. As I said before, I think the combination of McCoy coming back to the sidelines and rallying the team around Gilbert together with the long TD pass to Shipley turned his game around and helped him rediscover his poise.