PDA

View Full Version : National championship

Eagle 1
01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I cant believe nobody is talking about the big game tonight.
My take on the game.

I think it will be a close game, but I'm giving the edge to Alabama.
If UT had a decent rushing game, I think they would win, but when you run the spread offense you need a solid running back. Something the longhorns dont have. Next years UT recruit player from Cayuga, Traylon Shead, will help get UT back on the rushing map. (provided he gets over his hamstring problem)
I think Colt McCoy will have a big night passing the ball, but Alabama's defense will be the difference in the ball game. Alabama has the best linebacker core in the nation this year.

Alabama 28
UT 24

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
My take on the game.

If UT had a decent rushing game, I think they would win, but when you run the spread offense you need a solid running back. Something the longhorns dont have. Next years UT recruit player from Cayuga, Traylon Shead, will help get UT back on the rushing map. (provided he gets over his hamstring problem)
I think Colt McCoy will have a big night passing the ball, but Alabama's defense will be the difference in the ball game. Alabama has the best linebacker core in the nation this year.

Alabama 28
UT 24

I like you see it being about a 4 point game either way..I dont know if the winning team eve scores 20 points..It could very well be a 20-17, 17-14 type of game.

I dont know about UT NEEDING a running game to win..I think they need to keep Bama honest with the run game, but I dont think Texas has to rush for 200 yards or anything to win.

the biggest key IMO is keepig Bama from beig able to throw. I kow people say stopping Ingram is key, but to me if UT shuts down the throwing game of Bama they will win

GrTigers6
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
If Texas takes the ball down and scores on their first drive then I think they can go on to win, but if they go three and out then it will depend on how the defense does against Alabama's run attack. So the first few possesions for each team may just set the tone. :thinking:

forum_guy
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
27-17 Alabama

pirate4state
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I'll stick with "coach speak" and say it'll come down to who wins in the trenches. If Texas' O-line can protect and give Colt enough time, he will pick 'Bama's defense apart. If the D-line wrecks havoc, will then it's goodnight Colt.

I'll be rooting for the 'Horns. \m/

If it comes down to special teams, I really like Texas' chances!

forum_guy
01-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
If Texas' O-line can protect and give Colt enough time, he will pick 'Bama's defense apart.

That is a big if. Texas O line is average at best. Alabama defense will cause all kind of fits for Mccoy and the O line.

pirate4state
01-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by forum_guy
That is a big if. Texas O line is average at best. Alabama defense will cause all kind of fits for Mccoy and the O line. Yes, I know. I think they want to make up for the Nebraska game, but whether they do or not, is a whole other story. ;)

kepdawg
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
This game will be decided by special teams, turnovers, and penalties!

And offense and defense!

hookandladder
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
McCoy will be the difference tonight, look for McCoy to have a big night running and throwing the ball. Have a feeling McCoy will run for over a 100 yds. and throw for over 300 yds. Texas wins while holding Bama'a rushing game in check and forcing Bama's QB to make bad decision's.

waterboy
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I think Texas wins this one. I don't care if it's by 1 point or 20 points, I think the Longhorns win. Just my opinion.:cool:

forum_guy
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
McCoy will be the difference tonight, look for McCoy to have a big night running and throwing the ball. Have a feeling McCoy will run for over a 100 yds. and throw for over 300 yds. Texas wins while holding Bama'a rushing game in check and forcing Bama's QB to make bad decision's.

Don't count on it. He is no VY. He isn't going to completely take over the game on a top defense.

waterboy
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
:thinking: Texas has a pretty good defense, too.........;) I don't think Alabama has the ONLY good defense on the field tonight.:cool: Texas wins in my opinion.:nerd:

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I haven't been all that impressed with Alabama this season until they demolished Florida. For some reason, Alabama has just looked like a team that could be beaten.

I thought Texas looked phenomenal until the Big XII championship.

Now we're a month removed, and I can't get a good feel for this game either way.

I'm going to pick Texas to win simply because I thought they looked like the better team to me for the first 10-11 weeks of the season.

lvbears32
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
horns roll the overrated bama defense: texas 38-13

Maroon87
01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I think this game will be decided by special teams....both teams have good punt/KO return men. Whomever wins that battle could well be hoisting the crystall ball.

I'm leaning toward Shipley and the 'Horns...UT 24, Bama 20.

Old Tiger
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I think this game will be decided by special teams....both teams have good punt/KO return men. Whomever wins that battle could well be hoisting the crystall ball.

I'm leaning toward Shipley and the 'Horns...UT 24, Bama 20. I'm with you here...The team who generates a special teams touchdown will win this game.

Emerson1
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm just glad Bama has no one like Suh.

Old Tiger
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I'm just glad Bama has no one like Suh. Cody is good for an interior run game IMO but I don't think he'll fare well against Texas style of offense

BuckeyeNut
01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Texas wins bye 2 TD's

Emerson1
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I'm going to pick Texas to win simply because I thought they looked like the better team to me for the first 10-11 weeks of the season.
People forget Bama had a 2 point win over Tennessee and a 5 point win over Auburn. It's not like they are some juggernaut.

Old Tiger
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
People forget Bama had a 2 point win over Tennessee and a 5 point win over Auburn. It's not like they are some juggernaut. They had to block a field goal just to beat Tennesee also...but no one remembers that anymore.

Black_Magic
01-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree. I think alot of folks are looking at the last game that each team played and assuming the outcome from that. If you take the season as a whole, Texas SHOULD be favored to win. If Texas can protect Colt then I think its academic. IF they cant then it will be a long night because Alabama's offence is way better than Nebraska's. I think Texas can hold Alabama's Running game to a respectable amount of yards considering he is the best back in the country. Texas by 7

Farmersfan
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
:thinking: Texas has a pretty good defense, too.........;) I don't think Alabama has the ONLY good defense on the field tonight.:cool: Texas wins in my opinion.:nerd:

I think the Texas defense is more likley to contain the Bama offense than the Bama defense is to contain the Texas offense. I give a slight edge to Texas based on that. The stregnth of the Bama offense is their running game and the stregnth of the Texas defense is their run defense. Doesn't play into Bama's hands very well. Texas should win the game if they don't have turnovers.

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
the key will be how honest can Colt keep the Bama defense with his feet... IMO first play from scrimmage the Texas offense needs to spread the field 5 wide and then run a draw, or maybe spread it out with Newton in the backfield and run the zone read, hopefully bust a big running play and then you have the Bama defense already looking out for the run. Texas O-line will be looking for vindication in this game so look for them to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, however the running back will play a key part in protection tonight, since Bama likes to send pressure from anywhere on the field, I believe I read somewhere this week that at least 11 alabamba players have 1/2 a sack. Its too early to post my prediction now but its coming as we get closer to game time

the genious
01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by lvbears32
horns roll the overrated bama defense: texas 38-13

what??? they have to worry about keeping terrence cody off Mcoy because thats a big dude

bama 30
texas 17

waterboy
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Something else kinda bothers me, and I know it does Texas players, too. Why is it that when Alabama wins a game by less than a field goal it's always because of the "great defenses" of the SEC, but when Texas wins a game in the same manner it's because the offense wasn't clicking----defense is never even mentioned as a reason usually? Yes, Texas will have a chip on their shoulder because of all the talk about how "great" the defenses are in the SEC, when statistically the Longhorns are probably just as good....if not better, and have played offenses that are much better........not to mention the Longhorns feel like they should've been offered a shot at the NC last year.:nerd: I think you will see a FOCUSED Longhorn team tonight. At least, that's what I'm thinking you'll see.:) If they are, look out!;)

waterboy
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by the genious
what??? they have to worry about keeping terrence cody off Mcoy because thats a big dude

bama 30
texas 17
I don't think Terrence Cody could hold Suh's jock strap...:D The O-line must keep them off Colt, though, that's for sure...........and I think they will for the most part.

Black_Magic
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Something else kinda bothers me, and I know it does Texas players, too. Why is it that when Alabama wins a game by less than a field goal it's always because of the "great defenses" of the SEC, but when Texas wins a game in the same manner it's because the offense wasn't clicking----defense is never even mentioned as a reason usually? Yes, Texas will have a chip on their shoulder because of all the talk about how "great" the defenses are in the SEC, when statistically the Longhorns are probably just as good....if not better, and have played offenses that are much better........not to mention the Longhorns feel like they should've been offered a shot at the NC last year.:nerd: I think you will see a FOCUSED Longhorn team tonight. At least, that's what I'm thinking you'll see.:) If they are, look out!;) THIS ALL SOUNDS FAMILIAR TO THE LAST TIME THEY WENT TO PASADENA TO PLAY....
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: We all should remember how that came out.

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Either of these coaches, Saban or Brown, can get a team playing superb when given four or five weeks to prepare. I think with that you can take all the Ten and Neb games and toss 'em.

Considering that...

I think Alabama's D might be better than Texas' O. Especially with the sputtering run game.
I think Texas D is better than Alabama's O.
Special Teams go in Texas favor.
Intangibles? Gotta go to Alabama... Colt has just played flat in big games this year.
Coaching? Even.
Underdog factor? UT
Heisman Jinx? UT's favor.
DejaVu all over again? UT's favor.

LOL, with all that being said, I just feel like the Horns are gonna come up a little bit short. Here's hoping my heart is right and my head is wrong. HOOK EM, TEXAS FIGHT, Horns win by 4.

Old Tiger
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Something else kinda bothers me, and I know it does Texas players, too. Why is it that when Alabama wins a game by less than a field goal it's always because of the "great defenses" of the SEC, but when Texas wins a game in the same manner it's because the offense wasn't clicking----defense is never even mentioned as a reason usually? Yes, Texas will have a chip on their shoulder because of all the talk about how "great" the defenses are in the SEC, when statistically the Longhorns are probably just as good....if not better, and have played offenses that are much better........not to mention the Longhorns feel like they should've been offered a shot at the NC last year.:nerd: I think you will see a FOCUSED Longhorn team tonight. At least, that's what I'm thinking you'll see.:) If they are, look out!;) Mack Brown called the media out on this after the Oklahoma game.

diehard
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Texas by 10. Does anybody in the Nation want to play Nebraska right now? Good Luck!

mlb04stangs
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Bama all the way 24 - 10 maybe 24 - 17 if texas can score late in the game. Roll Tide!!!!

NastySlot
01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
They had to block a field goal just to beat Tennesee also...but no one remembers that anymore. \

didn't they block two that day?

NastySlot
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Either of these coaches, Saban or Brown, can get a team playing superb when given four or five weeks to prepare. I think with that you can take all the Ten and Neb games and toss 'em.

Considering that...

I think Alabama's D might be better than Texas' O. Especially with the sputtering run game.
I think Texas D is better than Alabama's O.
Special Teams go in Texas favor.
Intangibles? Gotta go to Alabama... Colt has just played flat in big games this year.
Coaching? Even.
Underdog factor? UT
Heisman Jinx? UT's favor.
DejaVu all over again? UT's favor.

LOL, with all that being said, I just feel like the Horns are gonna come up a little bit short. Here's hoping my heart is right and my head is wrong. HOOK EM, TEXAS FIGHT, Horns win by 4.

whats the spread?...........these are two pretty even teams don't think texas can really play an underdog role this time...underdog role is bunk........just something fans can use after the game if the win.......they will say we were the underdogs and beat a team far more better than us..........bull.............texas is as good or better than alabama.

forum_guy
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I hope Texas fans that are hoping for a VY-type performance in the championhip by Colt aren't going to be too dissappointed when Alabama is all over that avg offensive line of Texas on their way to dissrupt Colt all night.

STANG RED
01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
IF the Texas offense doesn’t sputter, they'll win by at least 2 scores. But that’s a BIG IF. Offenses tend to sputter more than defenses do after a long layoff. Throw in that the Texas offense relies so heavily on timing and rhythm, makes it an even taller hill to climb for them. Either way, I don’t see this being a high scoring affair at all, unless the Texas offense does somehow manage to come out hitting on all cylinders. 20-17 Texas, is my pick. But I’ll readily admit, I may be suffering from a case of wishful thinking.

waterboy
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Average? So you think the Texas O-line is average?:eek: This IS the BCS title game! You don't make it this far without having an above average.........or very GOOD O-line!.........and if you are worrying about how the defenses compare, here's an excerpt from an article I just read:

"Alabama ranks No. 2 in the nation in total defense at 241 yards allowed per game and Texas is No. 3 at 251 yards allowed per game. The Longhorns’ run defense ranks No. 1 in the nation at 62 yards allowed per game and ‘Bama is No. 2 at 78 yards allowed per game."

Mind you this is like comparing apples and oranges, but I think we can agree that the Longhorns have faced MUCH better offenses, too, and have similar stats.......:nerd:

mlb04stangs
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
They are very average or they would run the ball more like they have in previous years. Alabama played one close game and blew out Flordia who was #1 at the time, Texas played a handful of close games and struggled against a team nobody thought should've even played them close.

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Average? So you think the Texas O-line is average?:eek: This IS the BCS title game! You don't make it this far without having an above average.........or very GOOD O-line!.........and if you are worrying about how the defenses compare, here's an excerpt from an article I just read:

"Alabama ranks No. 2 in the nation in total defense at 241 yards allowed per game and Texas is No. 3 at 251 yards allowed per game. The Longhorns’ run defense ranks No. 1 in the nation at 62 yards allowed per game and ‘Bama is No. 2 at 78 yards allowed per game."

Mind you this is like comparing apples and oranges, but I think we can agree that the Longhorns have faced MUCH better offenses, too, and have similar stats.......:nerd:

All that people remember is the last game that i played and when you add a month layoff to that, that adds to people dwelling on the Nebraska game and Suh making the Texas offensive line look mediocore, but what people tend to forget is SUH MADE EVERY OFFENSIVE LINE LOOK MEDIOCORE. Texas line will be back in form tnight, Cody from Alabama is a beast but nowhere near as dominant as Suh and it will show tonight that Texas does have a good if not great offensive line

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by mlb04stangs
Texas played a handful of close games and struggled against a team nobody thought should've even played them close.

The same could be said for Alabama, remeber Auburn and Tennessee?

mlb04stangs
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
ok but Texas had Wyoming play with them for a half which should've never happened. Texas Tech where everyone I talked to said Texas remembers last year and they're playing in Austin and looking for payback, some pay back that was. Colorado and Nebraska out of the North. Colorado being like Wyoming only played a half but still shouldn't have happened. Then you got Oklahoma who lost 6 games this year.

GreenGobbla
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM

sure about that? they have yet to face a team with a top 20 running game, so lets just see what happens...roll tide roll

bobcat4life
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I gotta go with Bama 20-16

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
ok but Texas had Wyoming play with them for a half which should've never happened. Texas Tech where everyone I talked to said Texas remembers last year and they're playing in Austin and looking for payback, some pay back that was. Colorado and Nebraska out of the North. Colorado being like Wyoming only played a half but still shouldn't have happened. Then you got Oklahoma who lost 6 games this year.

look at the final scores of all those game you mentioned, if we want to bring in to the mix teams that played Bama well the first half lets throw V Tech into the mix, FIU was only down 20-14 at the half, LSU actuakky lead Bama 7-3 at the half

Eagle 1
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
sure about that? they have yet to face a team with a top 20 running game, so lets just see what happens...roll tide roll

I seen that on sports center too, and didnt realize that UT had not faced a top 20 rushing attack until they mentioned it.
It will be interesting to see how this aspect of the game plays out.

Green Bling
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by diehard
Texas by 10. Does anybody in the Nation want to play Nebraska right now? Good Luck!
Certainly not in Lincoln !!:D :D :D

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Certainly not in Lincoln !!:D :D :D

not anywhere, ask Arizona

Green Bling
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
The spread keeps getting narrower on a daily basis. If the game were played next week, it would probably be even money. Just glad Texas has been under-respected. Think the Horns take this in a close one!

waterboy
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
Quite sure.........Hook 'em Horns!:p

Phil C
01-07-2010, 04:18 PM
This is a hard game to predict. I want UT to win of course but it could be a blowup either way if one team is not at its' best. Also it could be a very close game either way. You never can tell until it's over.
I am hoping the UT plays like it did when it was excellent against Nebraska and Oklahoma and that our offense plays well like it did against A&M. Turnovers and Mistakes must be controlled and hopefully it will be a well played injury free game without mistakes by the officials.
One key thing will be the play of the Offensive Line of Texas. This is a line that is capable of playing much better than they did against NB. I think if these young men are angry enough they will play their best game of the year and our running game will be established and Colt will have a good game.
I hope so anyway. GO HORNS! FIGHT AND WIN!

GrTigers6
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
They are very average or they would run the ball more like they have in previous years. Alabama played one close game and blew out Flordia who was #1 at the time, Texas played a handful of close games and struggled against a team nobody thought should've even played them close. what do you consider close. cause i'm pretty sure that there were several games that were within a td or so

garciap77
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
My take on the game.

Alabama 28
UT 24

UT 56
Alabama 0

bobcat4life
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I think Bama is too physical and Texas has not seen a team this physical and this good. It will be close but I think Bama wears the Texas lines down and is able to establish the run and slow down the Longhorn offense. The key player will be Jordan Shipley. IF he can somehow manage to get a TD on a punt or kickoff, Texas will have a good chance to win it, but I dont think it will because Bama has good coverage teams.
I say Bama 20-16

waterboy
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Good luck with that. The Crimson Tide will be seeing too much burnt orange tonight. The Longhorns win this one.:cool:

NateDawg39
01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
I bet whoever wins this game, wins by scoring more points than the other team....

bobcat4life
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I bet whoever wins this game, wins by scoring more points than the other team.... bold prediction there Jimmy the Greek...

turbostud
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Looks like Bob Stoops is Sleeping With The Enemy:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12)

Maroon87
01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Looks like Bob Stoops is Sleeping With The Enemy:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12)

It's funny to think about Saban picking the brain of Choke Job Bob in an effort to get an advantege on Texas...:doh:

NateDawg39
01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
bold prediction there Jimmy the Greek... It is the toughest call i have ever made but I can almost guarantee it will be the correct choice.

But really, Texas has a good chance if they run the ball and mix it up. And if the Texas D can pressure the QB I think they will turn Bama into a one dimensional team relying on Ingram to much.

And on Bamas side, if they can keep Colt locked up and take his receivers away it will force his hand a few times. As for the offense, If Greg and Mark keep chugging along and play like they did against Florida, that might make the big difference in the game

Antec
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
With my anxiety problems and being such a hard core Texas fan-I' won't be able to watch the game.

Recording it and will watch it if Texas wins-Might check score updates but my heart cant take the excitement

turbostud
01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Choke Job Bob ..:doh:

:D

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
This game will be decided by special teams, turnovers, and penalties!

And offense and defense!
And points! :p

wimbo_pro
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
And points! :p

Since when????

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Since when????
I dunno! I just pulled it out of my behind. :p

wimbo_pro
01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
ewwwwwwww

the genious
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't think Terrence Cody could hold Suh's jock strap...:D The O-line must keep them off Colt, though, that's for sure...........and I think they will for the most part.

thats the funniest thing i heard all day haha and its probly true but he is good haha maybe even a better full back haha lmfao:D

Eagle 1
01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My take on the game.

Alabama 28
UT 24

Originally posted by garciap77
UT 56
Alabama 0
------------------------------------------------

So how's that working out?