PDA

View Full Version : Sandifer leaving Wylie?

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
This from Smoaky.com

I had two sources confirm this evening that Abilene Wylie football coach Hugh Sandifer was on campus at Barbers Hill High School on Wednesday.

Abilene Wylie lost to Gilmer in the Class 3-A Division I State Championship Game.

Barbers Hill is looking for a replacement for Don Price who resigned following the 2009 season.

Price was 99-35 in 12-years at Barbers Hill, including nine playoff teams.

David Smoak

http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105229

Gsquared
01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew328
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
whoa

pirate4state
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
:eek: :eek:

Maybe he just wants more $ from Wylie and/or maybe he is just keeping his interview skills sharp. :nerd:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
How big is Barbers Hill?

pirate4state
01-07-2010, 10:23 AM
They are a 4A school. Enrollment the past 2 years was at 1055.

ccmom
01-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek:

Maybe he just wants more $ from Wylie and/or maybe he is just keeping his interview skills sharp. :nerd:

Or MAYBE....

oh nevermind...;)

Love that signature, P4S!! :clap:

waterboy
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Where is Barber's Hill? Does Sandifer have family in that area? Where is he from originally? Unless there's something other than a big money difference, or family issues, I think he will stay at Wylie. I think he has an ideal situation there.........unless there's something I don't know about.:confused:

shamu85
01-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Barbers Hill is in Mont Belvieu, northeast of Houston, so this would be a HUGE change of scenery. Demographics are similar, though. Barbers Hill is a Chpt 41 district, too, mainly because of the gas plant(s) within their tax base. They have had a great girls basketball program in the past. Football is decent, playoff teams, but not much further than the 1st or 2nd rounds. I understand they have good facilities, but so does Wylie.

Link to BHISD Athletics Summary (http://www.barbershill.isd.esc4.net/PublicNotices/MISC/AthleticDirectorBrochure.htm)

Trashman
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
This from Smoaky.com

I had two sources confirm this evening that Abilene Wylie football coach Hugh Sandifer was on campus at Barbers Hill High School on Wednesday.

Abilene Wylie lost to Gilmer in the Class 3-A Division I State Championship Game.

Barbers Hill is looking for a replacement for Don Price who resigned following the 2009 season.

Price was 99-35 in 12-years at Barbers Hill, including nine playoff teams.

David Smoak

http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105229

I'll believe Sandifer is leaving, when the moving van actually shows up in front of his house.:D

Black_Magic
01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Just because he is interviewing does not mean he is leaving or even seriously thinking of leaving. I doubt he leaves

GreenMonster
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Just went to the school site. On the points of special interest numbers 1 and 2 it plainly states : 1. Barbers Hill is one of the top 5 paying districts in the state for teachers and 2. $250,000 Athletic budget. This might have some legs. Sounds like Barbers Hill could be a coach's paradise. I too will have to wait and see because I don't think Sandifer is going anywhere until he decides to retire, but Barbers Hill certainly looks like they are in a position to bid very high for his services.

TinyTim
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Just because he is interviewing does not mean he is leaving or even seriously thinking of leaving. I doubt he leaves

I don't know if he has a twin brother, or a fast jet, but he was coaching off-season football yesterday at Wylie. I have been wrong though plenty of times before. I gotta a pretty strong pulse though.

STANG RED
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Just went to the school site. On the points of special interest numbers 1 and 2 it plainly states : 1. Barbers Hill is one of the top 5 paying districts in the state for teachers and 2. $250,000 Athletic budget. This might have some legs. Sounds like Barbers Hill could be a coach's paradise. I too will have to wait and see because I don't think Sandifer is going anywhere until he decides to retire, but Barbers Hill certainly looks like they are in a position to bid very high for his services.

Unless its changed in the last few years, I know teachers retirement was figured by only using the last year or two of salary. So if there is any truth to this, it may have more to do with retirement pay than anything.
Also, if Wylie matches the offer, they'll probably have to give the superintendent a raise as well.

Gobbler Fan
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
They are a 4A school. Enrollment the past 2 years was at 1055.

why go from one 4a school to another ....:devil:

Phantom Stang
01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
:stirpot: :D

GreenMonster
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Unless its changed in the last few years, I know teachers retirement was figured by only using the last year or two of salary. So if there is any truth to this, it may have more to do with retirement pay than anything.
Also, if Wylie matches the offer, they'll probably have to give the superintendent a raise as well. They take your 3 highest paying years and do some mathmatical wizardry with it and that is what your retirement pay is based off of now. They were having problems with teachers going to higher paying districts for one year right before they retired to boost their pay, so the state made it the 3 year thing. It would make sense for Sandifer to be trying to boost that pay, he's been doing it long enough I'm sure he isn't too far removed from retirement. I still don't think he's leaving.

bowleghorses
01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I went to Barbers Hill From 1st to Soph year. Great School/facilities. A LOTTTTT of money. By the way they have won the state championship twice. I had brothers on both teams. My sister in law was also on the state championship basketball team.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM

I have to wonder about their academics though....I remember one BH student that couldn't even find the post office!!:D :D

Some here will "get" this!!:p

TheDOCTORdre
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have to wonder about their academics though....I remember one BH student that couldn't even find the post office!!:D :D

I get it

bowleghorses
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I for one am in the dark.:D

bowleghorses
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Please fill me in.

4th & short
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
The retirement is based off of your top 3 years salary. It doesnt matter when you made it.

jockcity33
01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Also, if Wylie matches the offer, they'll probably have to give the superintendent a raise as well.

Retirement in Texas is based on your 3 highest years average.

Matthew328
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Heard this will be among the highest paying jobs in the state over 100k salary easily

waterboy
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Heard this will be among the highest paying jobs in the state over 100k salary easily
He's already making more than that!;)

GiddingsFan
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
It's the average of your top 5 salaries.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
So is the last year or two salaries....or an average of the highest 3 years....or is it 5 years???

ARGHHHHH!!!! No wonder I stay so darn confused around here!!!!:crazy1:

ccmom
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
So is the last year or two salaries....or an average of the highest 3 years....or is it 5 years???

Surely, after almost 35K posts, you have figured out that no one on this board has a clue what they are talking about, my friend. ;)

Pick6
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Wasn't her picture of her actually someone else also?

garciap77
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

:D

Ranger Mom
01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Wasn't her picture of her actually someone else also?

Well yeah...but that didn't have anything to do with the post office!!:D

RedraideR11
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
The people at bh are crazy.

IHStangFan
01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Barbers Hill is in Mont Belvieu, northeast of Houston, so this would be a HUGE change of scenery. Demographics are similar, though. Barbers Hill is a Chpt 41 district, too, mainly because of the gas plant(s) within their tax base. They have had a great girls basketball program in the past. Football is decent, playoff teams, but not much further than the 1st or 2nd rounds. I understand they have good facilities, but so does Wylie.

Link to BHISD Athletics Summary (http://www.barbershill.isd.esc4.net/PublicNotices/MISC/AthleticDirectorBrochure.htm) their facilities and campus as a whole are pretty nice.

2's dad
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
The man was my 5th grade PE teacher and became AD my sophomore year. I know him very well and can tell you that none but he and Brenda know what he is gonna do. I would have bet all the money I had that he would never give up bball. Thankful I had no money back then. Great for Barbers Hill if it happens.....great for Wylie if it doesn't.

blowfish
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I'll believe Sandifer is leaving, when the moving van actually shows up in front of his house.:D

Add me to that!:ditto:

DukeNukem
01-08-2010, 12:56 AM
may have just gone to interview for leverage. sometimes coaches do this so their current school will raise their pay to keep them when they really have no true intentions of leaving. but, money does talk.

squid
01-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I was at Lowes yesterday and saw Garcia, he was carrying out purple and gold house paint. Then I saw nobogey picking out mailbox letters....he had an 'M' and a 'c' and a 'C' and a 'o' and a 'y'........

:devil: I mean, as long as we're rumor mongering and all....:taunt:

wyliegrad04
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
here is the article from the Abilene Reporter News

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/jan/08/no-headline---sandifer_job/

-----------------------------------------------
Hugh Sandifer confirmed Friday that he is a candidate to fill the head football-athletic director vacancy at Class 4A Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill.

However, the 24-year Wylie football coach-athletic director said any talk suggesting he’ll be the next Eagles coach is premature.

“I’m not actively looking to leave (Wylie) or anything like that,” he said.

Sandifer said he and his wife, Brenda, were invited and chose to make the trip to Mont Belvieu, located about 30 miles east of Houston, this week to “check everything out.” He described the visit as “low-key and informal.”

Sandifer said it was the Barbers Hill administration that contacted him about the job. Asked if Barbers Hill offered him the job, Sandider declined to comment.

Barbers Hill is replacing coach/athletic director Don Price, who resigned Nov. 18 after posting a 99-35 record in 11 years with the Eagles.

Price, the second-winningest coach in school history, coached Barbers Hill to 5-5 regular-season record and a fourth-place finish in District 19-4A this past season, which ended with a 21-7 loss to Port Neches-Grove in the bidistrict round of the 4A Division II playoffs.

Rumors that Sandifer was being pursued for the opening took hold earlier this week, as his name popped up on numerous high school football Web sites.

Among those are smoky.com, a site run by Texas high school sports pundit David Smoak; **********.com, a site specializing in sports in Southeast Texas; and 3adownlow.com, a site dedicated to sports information pertaining to 3A schools.

“My wife and I went and looked. Once it gets on the Internet, everyone makes their own assumption,” Sandifer said.

Sandifer, who has a 211-80-4 record at Wylie and formerly coached the boys basketball team, has built the school’s football program into a Class 3A powerhouse. Wylie has made 16 consecutive playoff appearances, claimed at least a share of 11 straight district titles and played in three 3A Division I state championship games — winning the title in 2004.

Barbers Hill, which claims to be in the top 5 in teacher salaries and to have a $250,000 athletic budget, has had its share of football success as well, but the Eagles’ success has tapered off some since they made the jump from 3A to 4A in 2006.

The Eagles, who competed in 3A or below until 2005, won the 1A state championships in 1971 and 1976, but Barbers Hill hasn’t advanced past the area round of the playoffs since 1999.

Price had five perfect regular seasons during his time in Mont Belvieu — including in 2006, Barber Hills’ first year in 4A. But he was just 24-17 in the school’s four years at the 4A level and 14-16 the past three seasons.

According to a story in the Baytown Sun, when Price resigned, the coach was making $98,800 annually.

Sandifer’s youngest daughter, Madison, is a Wylie senior. He is a 1978 graduate of Abilene Christian University, playing basketball and baseball for the Wildcats.

wyliegrad04
01-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think anyone except Coach Sandifer and his wife know if he wants to or is looking to leave. Remember he was also on ACU's radar when they were looking for a coach, and has been on several radars in the past 4 years or so.

Personally, I can't blame the guy ... if I was as successful as him in what I do, I would entertain most offers that came my way too ... yes, it will be very sad to see him leave Abilene Wylie if he does leave, but at the same time, that's part of the job, and he isn't that old and still has a lot of years of coaching left if he wants. It's pretty rare someone is at one school for 24 years like he already has been.

His youngest daughter Madison is a senior in HS graduating in May, and his oldest is a senior at ACU. This is his first interview/offer when he won't have to really worry about moving his kids to a different school and such. I think he wanted his kids to graduate from Wylie.

And of course, maybe he just wants to raise his retirement pay ... again, no one knows ...

Hupernikomen
01-09-2010, 10:44 AM

I have never known it to be a one or two year average but perhaps it was many moons ago.

If you were hired before either 2007 or 2008 (can't remember) then it is based off of your highest 3 years of service. If you began teaching after 2007/2008 then it is a 5 year average. The former group only has to work till their age and years of service add up to 80 and the latter group has to meet the rule of 90. Just another wonderful change to drive away more teachers.

squid
01-09-2010, 10:50 AM
copied from the TRS employee benefits booklet:

Standard Annuity
The standard annuity is the maximum payment for TRS retirement benefits.
It provides the retiree a maximum amount of benefit each month compared
to optional service retirement forms of payment, and it ends upon the retiree’s death.
When calculating a normal age monthly standard annuity, TRS uses the following formula:
(1) Average of Highest Five* Annual Salaries (based on creditable compensation) = Average Salary
(2) Total Years of Service Credit X 2.3% = Total %
(3) Total % X Average Salary = Annual Annuity
(4) Annual Annuity ÷ 12 = Monthly Standard Annuity
The standard annuity will be reduced due to early age retirement, the selection of an optional form of annuity payment, partial lump sum option (PLSO), or other reductions required by law. The standard annuity calculation for DROP participants does not include credit for service or salary during the years of DROP participation.
*Members who are grandfathered are eligible to have their standard annuity calculated using the average of their highest three annual salaries. To be grandfathered, you must have met at least one of the following requirements as a member on or before
August 31, 2005:
• attained age 50,
• had at least 25 years of service credit, or
• age and years of service totaled at least 70

LE Dad
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
I for one am in the dark.:D You can come out of the shed now:D

LE Dad
01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
Rumors that Sandifer was being pursued for the opening took hold earlier this week, as his name popped up on numerous high school football Web sites.

Among those are smoky.com, a site run by Texas high school sports pundit David Smoak; **********.com, a site specializing in sports in Southeast Texas; and 3adownlow.com, a site dedicated to sports information pertaining to 3A schools. :thinking: I think this shows that no one can escape the truth of the 3ADL.:D

Not even Hugh Sandifer.:dispntd: :dispntd:

:D

wyliefan
01-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Joey Light, superintendent of Wylie ISD, has a base salary of $111,240. - ARN - Nov. 23, 2009. You would assume he makes $80M - $100M. He also has his own budget and a personal secretary. I doubt he leaves.

Sandifer was offered the ACU job in 2004 with pay of around $150M and he did not take it. The job was later offered to the current coach.

squid
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
think I'll walk down the road and see if Joey has any spare change for a brother.....

blowfish
01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by wyliefan
Joey Light, superintendent of Wylie ISD, has a base salary of $111,240. - ARN - Nov. 23, 2009. You would assume he makes $80M - $100M. He also has his own budget and a personal secretary. I doubt he leaves.

Sandifer was offered the ACU job in 2004 with pay of around $150M and he did not take it. The job was later offered to the current coach.

Not to be a stick in the mud but I am pretty sure no one in the abilene area makes $150M a year. Did you mean $150K?

NateDawg39
01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
I think ACU got the better coach to be honest :cool:

STANG RED
01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Not to be a stick in the mud but I am pretty sure no one in the abilene area makes $150M a year. Did you mean $150K?

C'mon now blowfish,,,,,we all know you Wylieites are millionairs. Yall can afford $150M for a superintendent.:D

Poor ol AISD super has to settle for a measley little $180K.:doh: Wonder how he makes ends meet?;)

bowleghorses
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
You can come out of the shed now:D

Oh, it's just my sinus', not a concussion.:D

SWMustang
01-10-2010, 08:18 AM

sometimes M is used to signify thousands and mm is used to signify millions. M is the roman numeral for thousand.

blowfish
01-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
sometimes M is used to signify thousands and mm is used to signify millions. M is the roman numeral for thousand.

Where I came from ROman numerals are used for time not money. I am pretty sure anywhere in the worl you put an M behind money and you paying a butt load of money.

Good try though.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Where I came from ROman numerals are used for time not money. I am pretty sure anywhere in the worl you put an M behind money and you paying a butt load of money.

Good try though.

Both are right, K is just more modern and therefore should be used. MM is the most common in financial & consulting for million, at least at my job that's what we use.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/60697.html

michaelp23
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I've always thought that if Sandifer was going to leave, this would be the year because of his oldest daughter graduating. If I were the Wylie Super. (and I'm not), here's what I'd tell him:

"All I ask is that you shoot straight with us. You have accompished a lot here, and have earned the right to go to a bigger program. If you are looking to leave, just go. We'll thank you for what you've done and move on. If you are trying to get more money from us, tell me your price. Let's not play games. If we can meet it, great. If not, then we'll understand that you have to do what you have to do."

I played for the guy, have known him for years, and have nothing buy respect for who he is and what he's done at Wylie. But if he wants to leave, then leave now. No hard feelings. He'll do great wherever he goes and, thanks in part to the groundwork he laid at Wylie, we'll be fine too.

TinyTim
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
I've always thought that if Sandifer was going to leave, this would be the year because of his oldest daughter graduating. If I were the Wylie Super. (and I'm not), here's what I'd tell him:

"All I ask is that you shoot straight with us. You have accompished a lot here, and have earned the right to go to a bigger program. If you are looking to leave, just go. We'll thank you for what you've done and move on. If you are trying to get more money from us, tell me your price. Let's not play games. If we can meet it, great. If not, then we'll understand that you have to do what you have to do."

I played for the guy, have known him for years, and have nothing buy respect for who he is and what he's done at Wylie. But if he wants to leave, then leave now. No hard feelings. He'll do great wherever he goes and, thanks in part to the groundwork he laid at Wylie, we'll be fine too.

Okay,okay already!

So he does have a fast jet after all.

BHBrave08
01-13-2010, 05:54 AM
I honestly don't know if Wylie has the money to compete with what Barbers Hill is offering... BH just ran off Price who had an 88% winning percentage. They are gonna get the best they possibly can and rumor around BH is that he has been offered the job... and the figure floating with that offer averages around $120K. Thats just rumor but it doesn't surprise me cause BH has money to throw when they want.

LE Dad
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
I honestly don't know if Wylie has the money to compete with what Barbers Hill is offering... BH just ran off Price who had an 88% winning percentage. They are gonna get the best they possibly can and rumor around BH is that he has been offered the job... and the figure floating with that offer averages around $120K. Thats just rumor but it doesn't surprise me cause BH has money to throw when they want. :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow!! $120!! Put a K or an M behind it:doh: Thats a chunk 'o change:thinking:

BEAST
01-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I doubt that figure is correct.

BEAST

injuredinmelee
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I think ACU got the better coach to be honest :cool:

your nuts. The big difference is Sandifer wont allow outlaws and thugs on his team but thats how ACU has returned to the top tier of their division.

GreenMonster
01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
your nuts. The big difference is Sandifer wont allow outlaws and thugs on his team but thats how ACU has returned to the top tier of their division. Well injured, in his defense there just aren't any thugs roaming the halls of Wylie HS for Sandifer to recruit and the outlaws do play, he just keeps them under control. Gotta have a few outlaws in football to be successful, it's a game of aggression.

Black_Magic
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Well injured, in his defense there just aren't any thugs roaming the halls of Wylie HS TRUE...

bowleghorses
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
I honestly don't know if Wylie has the money to compete with what Barbers Hill is offering... BH just ran off Price who had an 88% winning percentage. They are gonna get the best they possibly can and rumor around BH is that he has been offered the job... and the figure floating with that offer averages around $120K. Thats just rumor but it doesn't surprise me cause BH has money to throw when they want.

That is an understatement. The money is a flowing down there. When I played there, we would get t-shirts each week stating "beat whoever we played that week" to wear under our pads. This was about 28 yrs. ago. I don't remember having to raise money for anything.

Txbroadcaster
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
how did this go from Sandifer to ACU and thugs lol

bowleghorses
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Well Coach Sandifer is not going to Barbers Hiil...BH hired Ronnie Gage who won two titles at Lewisville.:D

Ranger Mom
01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
how did this go from Sandifer to ACU and thugs lol

Just the natural downlow progression!:)