PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery Co. sheriff to post DWI suspects on Twitter

Maroon87
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6802419.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

PhiI C
01-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Here come the law suits. :(

OldBison75
01-07-2010, 10:15 AM
It may create some lawsuits, but they will be won by the DA. Every person arrested for any crime can have thier name published in newspapers, and twitter is no different. It is no different that the warrant amnesty programs before a warrant roundup--names of those with outstanding warrants are published in the paper and posted on the website for a number of days to allow the subjects to turn themselves in without firther charges, if they don't then they are arrested during the roundup. These people are very seldom already convicted and most are for minor offenses like unpaid tickets and such.

ziggy29
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Can I assume they will "tweet" just as loudly and prominently when some of them are acquitted? Will they prominently say "John Doe, whom we shamed a couple months ago, was found innocent in court"?

I think the trend toward a "scarlet letter" society is disturbing enough as it is without making it even worse by shaming and punishing people who are still presumed innocent and have not been convicted.

Farmersfan
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Can I assume they will "tweet" just as loudly and prominently when some of them are acquitted? Will they prominently say "John Doe, whom we shamed a couple months ago, was found innocent in court"?

I think the trend toward a "scarlet letter" society is disturbing enough as it is without making it even worse by shaming and punishing people who are still presumed innocent and have not been convicted.

+1

Maroon87
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I stated it was the sheriff's office doing this in the thread title...it is actually the District Atty's office.:)

Farmersfan
01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I stated it was the sheriff's office doing this in the thread title...it is actually the District Atty's office.:)

I managed a restaurant for 4 years in Flagstaff Az and the Health Inspector/City had a policy of posting Health scores in the newspapers. The Inspector would come in and write up burned out light bulbs, drips in the sinks, trash in the alley and all kinds of things that had no bearing on the quality of the food being served. The next day the newspaper would print that the restaurant scored a 75 (for example) on the health report without stating that 20 points on the report came from NON-FOOD related issues. It would hurt our business every single time. The public has a "Right to Know" but they need to "KNOW" the whole truth and not just part of it............ It was very irresponsible reporting!

ziggy29
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The public has a "Right to Know" but they need to "KNOW" the whole truth and not just part of it............ It was very irresponsible reporting!
Not only that, but just because something is public information doesn't mean it's responsible to shout it all from the rooftops, especially when it can damage livelihoods and reputations before any "due process" or reasonable context is put on the information.

Ranger Mom
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
The local convenience stores in Greenwood...all 2 of them....give you a month to take care of your hot checks. If you haven't done it by that time, then your name is in big block letters by the register reminding the cashier not to accept a check from you.

In a community the size of Greenwood, you usually know everyone on the list!!:p

bobcat4life
01-09-2010, 07:11 PM
if the start this in celina, I will sign up for twitter:D