PDA

View Full Version : Who does Baylor hire?

kepdawg
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
If Briles goes to Tech? Who would be a good fit? Who would take the job?

Trashman
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Mike Leach!!!!:D

bobcat4life
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Maybe Sumlin from Houston?

coach
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
Maybe Sumlin from Houston?

baylor will never be a winner until they get out of the big 12 or grant teaff comes back

sahen
01-07-2010, 01:01 AM
they dont have to worry about it because briles is staying...

kepdawg
01-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by sahen
they dont have to worry about it because briles is staying...

I'll have to see it to believe it.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I'll have to see it to believe it.
$4 million buy-out - Tech can't afford it & he's no longer in the running.

Trashman
01-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Tech is like any other government run organization. There was not enough money to pay Leach, but there will be just enough to buy out Briles' contract and pay him well.:D

BOCEPHUS
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Briles out as Tech coach option
By Don Williams | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Thursday, January 07, 2010
Story last updated at 1/7/2010 - 12:27 am

Baylor coach Art Briles is no longer a candidate to become Texas Tech's next head coach. But the search might be getting ready to widen rather than narrow in scope.

Texas Tech interim head coach Ruffin McNeill and former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville have interviewed for the job, but Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said Wednesday night he is likely to contact more candidates.

"We've got a couple of more candidates that we have some interest in,'' Myers said.

Myers declined to identify them, but a source familiar with the search said former Tulane and Clemson coach Tommy Bowden is the next candidate in whom there is interest and, after Bowden, Houston coach Kevin Sumlin. The source said Bowden had conveyed his interest "through third parties.''

Asked if Tech could name a head coach by Thursday, Myers said, "I would say probably not.''

Briles has been on Tech's list since Mike Leach was fired last week, but the prospect of his returning to the school where he was an assistant for three years is dead, partly because of the buyout in Briles' contract at Baylor.

"It was a big factor,'' a source said. "It's $4 million. It was just way too high.''

Tech sought permission from Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw on Tuesday to discuss the job with Briles.

The source said Briles was "talked to,'' but arranging a formal interview became a moot point because of the money needed to buy out Briles' contract.

"If there hadn't been a buyout, he would have been a very serious candidate,'' the source said. "But he was not as serious as the media was making him out to be, because the $4 million was the stumbling block. So I don't think anyone in the administration considered him that seriously because of the buyout.''

Myers said he thought contract negotiations between Briles and Baylor were a factor.

"He just called and told us he was staying at Baylor,'' Myers said. "We just heard that he had signed an extension and a new contract, so I guess he got that done and decided that's what he wanted to do.''

Tech Chancellor Kent Hance said he still sees a new Red Raiders coach being named by Sunday or early next week.

"Things are going well, and we plan to have a recommendation from Gerald and Dr. (Guy) Bailey in the next few days,'' Hance said. "I think the Texas Tech supporters will be enthused when we come up with a new coach.''

McNeill interviewed for the job Monday, and Tuberville followed him on Tuesday. Neither has been offered the job, but the source familiar with the search said that should not be taken as a lack of confidence in either.

"Absolutely not,'' the source said. "They both have pluses and minuses. Tuberville's been a head coach and is a proven commodity. I think a lot of people wonder if he'd stay. On the other hand, Ruffin is very loyal, very dedicated and a very popular person and has a great advantage there. Plus, he's very familiar with the recruiting class.''

Myers said there's not a leader at the moment.

"I think the two we've talked to are both still very much in the picture,'' he said. "They both did a good job.''

As Tech continues to work through its original list of targets, Bowden could be next to get closer scrutiny, though there's not been a decision made to bring in either him or Sumlin for an interview. Bowden, 55, a son of former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, is 90-49 in 11-plus seasons as a college head coach at Tulane (1997 through 1998) and Clemson (1999 to 2008).

"He had a winning record at Tulane and also at Clemson, and that would be looked at,'' the source said.

To comment on this story

Eagle 1
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
They said this morning on the Waco news that Briles denied an interview with Tech and IS NOT leaving Baylor.
I have a feeling they will McNeil.

Dang bocephus, you beat me to it while I was typing.:D

BOCEPHUS
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
u gotz to gits of awful dang early to beatz me, i dun run my trots and rolled up the jugs this mornin, wuz a little windy foer sure, had on my long undies though!!!!!!!!!!

sahen
01-07-2010, 10:09 AM
article is Tech spin...Tech asked Baylor permission to speak to Briles and Baylor oked it...Briles refused the interview with them....the buyout on Briles contract is public knowledge, why would Tech ask to speak to Briles if they couldnt afford the buyout?.....also, there is no word anywhere that Baylor changed Briles contract at all so that appears to be a rumor started by the Tech administration as well...Briles may have considered going to Tech, but it wasnt a long consideration considering yesterday he was recruiting in San Antonio for the Bears...

it doesnt matter anyway, Briles refusing the interview came out in the papers and media last night when i said Briles is not going to Tech...I was headed to bed or I wouldve added sources then, but atleast there is one now....

glad to keep Briles and hope Tech can find a good coach asap so they can salvage some of what is left of recruiting season...may be tuff for them this late in the recruiting season, but it just depends who they hire....

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2010/01/07/01072010wacartbriles.html

Ex-Tiger2005
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

It is being rumored in Lubbock that they have "donors" in place to pay the buy out so that money would not be an option to get him.

shamu85
01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Why in the world would they want Tommy Bowden?

Call me crazy, but I think that with the talent at Tech, Todd Dodge would be great for the program. North Texas won't be able to attract anywhere near the type of talent TT does, for no other reason the conference in which they play.

sahen
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
It is being rumored in Lubbock that they have "donors" in place to pay the buy out so that money would not be an option to get him.

It is over...Briles told Tech, thanks but no thanks....both Baylor's AD and Tech's AD have said that Briles will be staying at Baylor...

Johnny Utah
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Dodge would be a great fit at TECH?? WOW! I disagree.

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
I disagree.
That makes 2 of us!