TheDOCTORdre
01-05-2010, 11:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4799532

bobcat4life
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
not much of a surprise

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I hope he keeps Campbell, IMO he is a very talented quarterback who gets a bad rep for the team sucking.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I hope he keeps Campbell, IMO he is a very talented quarterback who gets a bad rep for the team sucking.

How many OCs has he played for since his rookie season?

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I hope he keeps Campbell, IMO he is a very talented quarterback who gets a bad rep for the team sucking. ***COUGH***kinda like David Carr***COUGH***

I'm no Carr fan...but it gets old listening to the Houston sports media beat up on the guy even after he's been gone for a few years. I don't think that Carr was that bad....I DO think his team...especially is O-line WAS that bad...consequently the guy was running for his life 90% of the time. When you lead the league in sacks (and not the GOOD stat category) year in and year out...you're BOUND to become a little "gun shy". Then he goes to NY as a backup...comes in and has the highest passer rating in the league. If anything the Texans (namely fellas running the team at the time) RUINED Carr.

Just my opinion. I'm finished. :mad:

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
***COUGH***kinda like David Carr***COUGH***

I'm no Carr fan...but it gets old listening to the Houston sports media beat up on the guy even after he's been gone for a few years. I don't think that Carr was that bad....I DO think his team...especially is O-line WAS that bad...consequently the guy was running for his life 90% of the time. When you lead the league in sacks (and not the GOOD stat category) year in and year out...you're BOUND to become a little "gun shy". Then he goes to NY as a backup...comes in and has the highest passer rating in the league. If anything the Texans (namely fellas running the team at the time) RUINED Carr.

Just my opinion. I'm finished. :mad:

problem was Carr also had a reputation for not WANTING to be a great qb, only putting in minimal time in the film rooms and being a Prima Donna

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
problem was Carr also had a reputation for not WANTING to be a great qb, only putting in minimal time in the film rooms and being a Prima Donna reminds me of several other QBs in the league....still doesn't warrant the bum label the Houston media likes to associate w/ his name in my opinion, while completely ignoring the fact that his o-line was garbage along w/ several other TEAM deficiencies.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2010, 12:53 AM
reminds me of several other QBs in the league....still doesn't warrant the bum label the Houston media likes to associate w/ his name in my opinion, while completely ignoring the fact that his o-line was garbage along w/ several other TEAM deficiencies.

I agree..but if as a QB your acting like your not part of the club, especially a new one, people are not going to embrace you. Yes he was unfairly at times put down, but he is to blame with his attitude as well.

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I agree..but if as a QB your acting like your not part of the club, especially a new one, people are not going to embrace you. Yes he was unfairly at times put down, but he is to blame with his attitude as well. Point taken.....but I'd argue that Jay Cutler has much more of an attitude adjustment that he's in dire need of making....yet, the sports media overall still likes to crow about how he's an elite QB. I for one think he's garbage. McNabb is another one that, at times whines and complains....although...he's earned that right I guess. I tend to think that the media has A LOT to do w/ how a player is perceived by fans. The Houston media LOVED to bash on Carr. Hell...they STILL do and he's been gone for years!

That's all I'm saying.

Gobbla2001
01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Carr shmarr, the real Houston #8 just put up the 6th best passing season in NFL History...

Anyhoo, this is how I feel about this hire:

#1, always loved Shanahan, I was kinda a Broncos fan back in HS...

#2, Texans go TO Washington this year I believe... Student (Kubiak) meets Teacher (Shanahan) for the first time at the Teacher's new place...

and

#3, and this could be the most important (though I doubt it will be), You know Texans OC Kyle Shanahan is going to coach with his daddy... so who do the Texans get to replace him? Early rumors I've heard include Chan Gailey and Brian Cushing (yes, after receiving his Lifetime Achievment Award later today, he will interview for the job... and yes, he will be staying at LB as well)...

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
this thread isnt about houston:mad:

nationalpastime
01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I think the move could be very good for Washington; if Sneider can keep out of it. Shanahan knows how to run the football and knows how to mentor quarterbacks. Washington also has a decent, if not underrated defense this year. If their offense can stay on track and not blow it then Washington might make a run (don't know how big of one yet) next year.

Also, didn't Shanahan draft Portis also? That means he already has one of "his guys" at his finger tips.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by nationalpastime
Shanahan knows how to run the football and knows how to mentor quarterbacks.

Does he really? I know he has that reputation, but honestly he has not won without Elway and that was more because of the ruing game and underrated D

nationalpastime
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
So, what the last year he was in Denver? They had the top rated offense in the NFL, didn't they? Yeah, the defense was wretched, but he inherits a lot better defense than the one he built in Denver. I'm not saying he's the long term solution but I think he will give the Redskins a spark. I saw Zorn and thought he was a push over. At least now there's a guy that has some level of credibility.

lvbears32
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
goos luck to shanahaan...as long as he duznt beat the cowboys

crzyjournalist03
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Does he really? I know he has that reputation, but honestly he has not won without Elway and that was more because of the ruing game and underrated D

After seeing a year of Jay Cutler in Chicago without Shanahan, I really believe in Shanahan more than I used to.

Thankfully, I also believe that Dan Snyder is still more than capable of screwing everything up.

Trashman
01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
What the hell was he thinkin?:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
What the hell was he thinkin?:thinking:

Snyder gave him power over all final decisions that are football-related. So it's his team to run. For now at least.

pirate4state
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
After seeing a year of Jay Cutler in Chicago without Shanahan, I really believe in Shanahan more than I used to.

Thankfully, I also believe that Dan Snyder is still more than capable of screwing everything up.

+1

nationalpastime
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

+2

Farmersfan
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I like Shannahan as a coach. But I don't think he will have a Elway in Washington. And remember that his winning record came in the AFC playing the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers. That's not even close to competing in the NFC East every season.

Maroon87
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm no Carr fan...but it gets old listening to the Houston sports media beat up on the guy even after he's been gone for a few years.

Kinda like it gets old listening to them spew their non-stop Dallas envy all over the airwaves.:hand:

Bullaholic
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
IMO, Mike Shanahan will produce a winner in DC given a little time and sufficient leeway by Snyder. A hallmark of Shanahan teams has always been intelligent players. One of the bright spots of Shanahan's Denver teams was the "O" line---they were undersized, but very quick , in shape, dedicated as a unit, and very savvy. I think he will continue that preference in DC, and there will be a lot of player changes coming.

Farmersfan
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
IMO, Mike Shanahan will produce a winner in DC given a little time and sufficient leeway by Snyder. A hallmark of Shanahan teams has always been intelligent players. One of the bright spots of Shanahan's Denver teams was the "O" line---they were undersized, but very quick , in shape, dedicated as a unit, and very savvy. I think he will continue that preference in DC, and there will be a lot of player changes coming.

It's called slant blocking with cutback runners. The undersized blockers in Denver got away with illegal cut/chop blocks for years until the NFL changed the rules. It was still very tough on defenses to beat the slant blocking scheme but once the Cut block rule was implemented the Denver success was GONE! Shannahan made a lot of enemies with his blocking tactics in Denver and made good use of the "Gray Area" of the rules. How will a undersized, slant blocking offensive line go over in Hog country????

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
goos luck to shanahaan...as long as he duznt beat the cowboys

agreed but hopefully he can at least bring the skins back to relative importance so the rivalry will have more of a kick to it