PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the Wards of Houston

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm down in the 2nd Ward today doing a wireless broadband survey. I pull into a gas station and go in looking for a can of Copenhagen. The guy hands me a can, and instantly I notice that something doesn't look right about it.....then it hits me...the lid is the old gold lid. I flip it over...and the "freshness" date on the back is 16JAN2006!!!! I promptly handed it back to the man and said "uh...no thanks" LOL!!!! Gotta love the wards of Houston.

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm down in the 2nd Ward today doing a wireless broadband survey. I pull into a gas station and go in looking for a can of Copenhagen. The guy hands me a can, and instantly I notice that something doesn't look right about it.....then it hits me...the lid is the old gold lid. I flip it over...and the "freshness" date on the back is 16JAN2006!!!! I promptly handed it back to the man and said "uh...no thanks" LOL!!!! Gotta love the wards of Houston. Im down on Normandy Street at a hotel and a guy came up to me today asked if he could shine my shoes and wash my windows lol. I of course said nooooo thanks

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Im down on Normandy Street at a hotel and a guy came up to me today asked if he could shine my shoes, wash my windows, take my wallet, and jack my ride. lol. I of course said nooooo thanks There, I fixed it for you. :D

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Yea thats more what I was thinkin would happen :P

It is a good thing I had Mr 9 MM and Mr. knife handy (hidden away but very close to my hand)

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Yea thats more what I was thinkin would happen :P

It is a good thing I had Mr 9 MM and Mr. knife handy (hidden away but very close to my hand) yup...I don't leave the house w/out Mr. Kimber. ESPECIALLY if I'm gonna be down in the wards after dark.

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
yup...I don't leave the house w/out Mr. Kimber. ESPECIALLY if I'm gonna be down in the wards after dark. I am thinkin of buying a 45 but really like the 9 MM I have, it is a slim but it shoots true

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I am thinkin of buying a 45 but really like the 9 MM I have, it is a slim but it shoots true Yeah....I'd like to have something in a smaller frame, as I don't have a small framed pistol. But...MAN....that Kimber is SUHWEEEET!!

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
My dad told me if I am going to Houston I might as well carry my M-14 or my Ak cause thats what i would be up against now a days lol

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
My Kimber Desert Warrior w/ matching Kimber badged digicamo Crimson Trace grip & Streamlight TLR-1 light.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/Mykimber.jpg

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:31 PM
speaking of guns.....here's a quick little class on how a Glock works. :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/dca8hh.gif

HEMOTOXIC
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
My dad told me if I am going to Houston I might as well carry my M-14 or my Ak cause thats what i would be up against now a days lol

I live and play in the Houston area, I personally haven't faced anything that I wouldn't have encountered in any large city. Now, if you want to talk about scary, New Orleans give me the creeps!:D

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
I live and play in the Houston area, I personally haven't faced anything that I wouldn't have encountered in any large city. Now, if you want to talk about scary, New Orleans give me the creeps!:D Come on down to any of the wards w/ me after dark. :D But you are absolutely correct about New Orleans....that place is a crap hole. I was down there about a year after Katrina...it was very similar to a 3rd world country. Just NASTY.

turbostud
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I used to live in the 9th Ward in New Orleans. Its very interesting to say the least.

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I used to live in the 9th Ward in New Orleans. Its very interesting to say the least. same in a couple of em in Houston. You see some interesting stuff....ESPECIALLY after dark.

turbostud
01-05-2010, 11:05 PM
same in a couple of em in Houston. You see some interesting stuff....ESPECIALLY after dark.

We used to walk to the French Quarter and were told by some drug dealers to stay in the middle of the street, to signify neutrality, and we would be left alone.

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
We used to walk to the French Quarter and were told by some drug dealers to stay in the middle of the street, to signify neutrality, and we would be left alone. LOL...geezus that's...uh.....well...uh...WOW!

turbostud
01-05-2010, 11:09 PM
LOL...geezus that's...uh.....well...uh...WOW!

Yup. that was during the day. We took a cab at night. we didnt dare walk around at night.

carter08
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I live and go to school in the 3rd Ward. I park my car out on the street every night and no one's jacked it. I walk around at night sometimes too. Just sayin'.

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by carter08
I live and go to school in the 3rd Ward. I park my car out on the street every night and no one's jacked it. I walk around at night sometimes too. Just sayin'. Been down there several times.....around the University isn't HALF as bad as some of the other areas......just sayin.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I'll say it again, I love my Glocks so leave 'em alone. ;-)

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I'll say it again, I love my Glocks so leave 'em alone. ;-) hehehe...thought you'd like that. :D

carter08
01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Been down there several times.....around the University isn't HALF as bad as some of the other areas......just sayin.

I don't live on campus. I actually live a block away from a nice little halfway house for crack addicts. Mmm, ghetto.

WOS87
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Gimme a break you wusses!!

I've worked in the 3rd Ward for the past 10 years straight and for the past 17 years on-and-off and have survived without need of any type of gun (or chaw for that matter!)

:cool:

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by carter08
I don't live on campus. I actually live a block away from a nice little halfway house for crack addicts. Mmm, ghetto. Hell...I've spent the last few months in all the wards....anything withing a few miles of the campus is MUCH better than some of the other areas...especially 2nd and 5th wards.

On a side note....what's the latest on Roberson going away and a new stadium being built? Heard some talk about it recently.

IHStangFan
01-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
Gimme a break you wusses!!

I've worked in the 3rd Ward for the past 10 years straight and for the past 17 years on-and-off and have survived without need of any type of gun (or chaw for that matter!)

:cool: :p

carter08
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Hell...I've spent the last few months in all the wards....anything withing a few miles of the campus is MUCH better than some of the other areas...especially 2nd and 5th wards.

On a side note....what's the latest on Roberson going away and a new stadium being built? Heard some talk about it recently.

I haven't been on campus in a month, so I haven't heard anything about a new stadium.

Farmersfan
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't understand the need for MORE firepower. There is only 1 level of dead that counts. Dead from a small hole is just as significant as dead from a big hole................Right? Or have I missed something?

IHStangFan
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I don't understand the need for MORE firepower. There is only 1 level of dead that counts. Dead from a small hole is just as significant as dead from a big hole................Right? Or have I missed something? I'm not sure where you're trying to go w/ this...but...I'll venture a guess. Sure...dead is dead...but it's all about knockdown power. I for one....in a situation where my life could be in danger, would rather only have to shoot once and know the job is done....hence the desire for a larger caliber over a smaller one. Too many stories out there of 9mm and smaller not getting it done for me to trust my life to one. To each their own though...feel free to carry whatever you want....that's why there are so many different options out there. :thumbsup:

venomous tat2
01-07-2010, 01:27 PM
What are some of you doing in the wards after dark ? I was born and raised in 5th ward so I know how things work there and to be honest with you , you're out of place if you're there after dark
you're gonna look out of place as well so you should expect to get checked by some one there it's the ghetto and there are no rules in the ghetto just survival . Not a good place to be if you are not use to it . And then again it depends on where you go in the ghetto .

IHStangFan
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm definitely out of place down there after dark.....I'm a white guy...shaved head, and usually wearing some sort of camouflage coat, or beanie or something. I approach it like I do any other "uncertain" situation. I stay VERY alert, and am armed 100% of the time. Am I paranoid? Maybe, but then again, having just spent the better part of a year in Iraq and Afghanistan, I've become a huge believer in "ALWAYS be prepared...no matter what you THINK you know....there's always a chance for things to turn ugly in a hurry."

Green Bling
01-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Woah! Can you feel it? Talkin' 'bout all that testosterone flying around in the air. :D :D You guys crack me up!!

IHStangFan
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Woah! Can you feel it? Talkin' 'bout all that testosterone flying around in the air. :D :D You guys crack me up!! LOL...for me it has nothing to do w/ testosterone.....and EVERYTHING to do w/ my security and safety, simple as that. After being shot at on my motorcycle by gangsta wannabes in Arizona, and then the Iraq and Afg. thing...I personally feel there's WAY too many crazies out there NOT to be armed. Maybe I AM one of the crazies...but at least I have the ability to defend myself from the OTHER crazies. :D God Bless America & the 2nd amendment!!

Green Bling
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Just had to mess with ya'll a little bit. Glad to know ya'll are being smart about your personal safety. My sister has often had to work the wards and carries personal protection as well.

IHStangFan
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Just had to mess with ya'll a little bit. Glad to know ya'll are being smart about your personal safety. My sister has often had to work the wards and carries personal protection as well. I tell ya man.....we were down in "Sunnyside" about a month ago after the sun went down....heard shots. Come to find out...some guy shot another guy just up the street from us.

Green Bling
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
A friend and I go to a lot of track meets at the University and we try to stick to the main drags as much a possible.