PDA

View Full Version : Question about sports banquets

onsideanytime
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
We have been told that our booster club will no longer pay for our spouse's meal at our sports banquet, i am just wondering if this is the norm and we have just been blessed all these years. I personally find it rediculous, just wanting to know what other schools do

cotulla
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
banquet? what's that?

i think my spouse would stay at home that night.

pancho villa
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
We have been told that our booster club will no longer pay for our spouse's meal at our sports banquet, i am just wondering if this is the norm and we have just been blessed all these years. I personally find it rediculous, just wanting to know what other schools do

they would not let her belly up to the trough?

GreenMonster
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I would just leave mine at the casa and then the next time the booster club gets bent out of shape because I don't come to their meeting I'd just tell them that I owed my wife a night out after I left her home for the banquet.

GrTigers6
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
We pay for players, coaches and their families. But as expensive as a banquet is, I can see how a Booster club could deside not to. maybe they need to come up with some more fundraising ideas.

GreenMonster
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
We pay for players, coaches and their families. But as expensive as a banquet is, I can see how a Booster club could deside not to. maybe they need to come up with some more fundraising ideas. Why bother with the banquets at all? I personally would rather have the $2500 more dollars to spend on the kids than have a $9 plate of barbecue and watch a highlight video that I probably put together with the video editing software that we really need to get replaced but the boosters don't have the $$$ to replace it and our budget sucks.

Ummm....sorry, had a mini-coniption.

Banquets are good, thanks boosters, you guys are awesome. My wife doesn't eat much anyways, she can share with me. I'll stop by and pick her up a Dt Dr Pepper on the way.

pirate4state
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
We have been told that our booster club will no longer pay for our spouse's meal at our sports banquet, i am just wondering if this is the norm and we have just been blessed all these years. I personally find it rediculous, just wanting to know what other schools do We don't have banquets, but we'd never tell the coaches their wives had to pay for their food. :doh:

44INAROW
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank Goodness for the wonderful Cuero Gobbler Booster Club. No complaints.. in fact, we're having fried fish, fresh black eyed peas, fried sweet potatoes and "refreshments" at the meeting tomorrow night. Very unique club, if I don't say so myself. We have 2 banquets a year - the "kickoff" banquet right before school starts and the "All Sports Banquet" the Monday after the state golf tournament. Booster Club members do all the cooking and coaches (and families) along with players are GUESTS. The food is always wonderful and lots of hardware to be displayed and athletes to be recognized. It's a good thing :)
Oh and the club is VERY supportive to the girls and boys programs :)

Additup
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Why bother with the banquets at all?
AMEN!! Let the kids out early one afternoon in the spring for a cookout and swim...much better than a banquet.

Green Bling
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Thank Goodness for the wonderful Cuero Gobbler Booster Club. No complaints.. in fact, we're having fried fish, fresh black eyed peas, fried sweet potatoes and "refreshments" at the meeting tomorrow night. Very unique club, if I don't say so myself. We have 2 banquets a year - the "kickoff" banquet right before school starts and the "All Sports Banquet" the Monday after the state golf tournament. Booster Club members do all the cooking and coaches (and families) along with players are GUESTS. The food is always wonderful and lots of hardware to be displayed and athletes to be recognized. It's a good thing :)
Oh and the club is VERY supportive to the girls and boys programs :)

MMMMM!! Sounds good!! Gonna be a cool night out there tomorrow night. Is Mr. 44 cooking?

pirate4state
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Additup
AMEN!! Let the kids out early one afternoon in the spring for a cookout and swim...much better than a banquet. That's what we do here. Kids love it!

bobcat4life
01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
we have a football banquet after the season and then one in the spring for other sports. Not sure about the sports banquet but at the football one the players and cheerleaders get food

jaydog34
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
i think with the amount of time that coaches and athletes put into every season they do deserve a free meal. i mean these guys are not making millions of dollars coaching or playing in high school sports. i mean the coaches do it because they love the kids. they spend most of the day working for the betterment of the kids. i think they deserve a free meal. as far as thier wives or husbands. i will beg any booster club member that is a male or female to spend as many nights in cold bleachers, home at nights alone, doing things at the house that need to be done all to support what thier wife or husband does for a living and then be told they dont even rate a meal from the school thier husband or wife works for. dont get me wrong i know there are many of booster club members that attend all games. but i dont see many at practices nor do i see them during the holidays when everybody else is still working for thier ATHLETICS. i think that is low rate to not even pay for a coaches wife or hsubands meal. NOT REAL CLASSY

44INAROW
01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jaydog34
i think with the amount of time that coaches and athletes put into every season they do deserve a free meal. i mean these guys are not making millions of dollars coaching or playing in high school sports. i mean the coaches do it because they love the kids. they spend most of the day working for the betterment of the kids. i think they deserve a free meal. as far as thier wives or husbands. i will beg any booster club member that is a male or female to spend as many nights in cold bleachers, home at nights alone, doing things at the house that need to be done all to support what thier wife or husband does for a living and then be told they dont even rate a meal from the school thier husband or wife works for. dont get me wrong i know there are many of booster club members that attend all games. but i dont see many at practices nor do i see them during the holidays when everybody else is still working for thier ATHLETICS. i think that is low rate to not even pay for a coaches wife or hsubands meal. NOT REAL CLASSY

WOW - :eek:

pirate4state
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
WOW - :eek: hehe - can't say I disagree. I know what the spouses have to endure, hell the very least we can do is give them a free meal!! ;)

44INAROW
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
hehe - can't say I disagree. I know what the spouses have to endure, hell the very least we can do is give them a free meal!! ;)

"and then be told they dont even rate a meal from the school thier husband or wife works for"

let's not get the school (district) mixed up with a volunteer organization. Remember, the Booster club is volunteer supported. I do agree with you both though, not paying for the spouse's meal is subject to criticism. Maybe funds are super low this year? To call a group of volunteers NOT REAL CLASSY - is not right either.

I guess I am just amazed at what people say - that's all. and Again, I am thankful for the wonderful group known as the Gobbler Booster Club so we don't have this kind of attitude. I guarantee the Cuero coaches wouldn't make these comments.

pirate4state
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
"and then be told they dont even rate a meal from the school thier husband or wife works for"

let's not get the school (district) mixed up with a volunteer organization. Remember, the Booster club is volunteer supported. I do agree with you both though, not paying for the spouse's meal is subject to criticism. Maybe funds are super low this year? To call a group of volunteers NOT REAL CLASSY - is not right either.

I guess I am just amazed at what people say - that's all. and Again, I am thankful for the wonderful group known as the Gobbler Booster Club so we don't have this kind of attitude. I guarantee the Cuero coaches wouldn't make these comments. I guess I just didn't read his/her post very clearly. Oh well...glad we don't have that problem in Sinton!

onsideanytime
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
i figured paying for coaches spouse was the norm, i have decided to take my wife and let her use my ticket while i sit there and not eat, hopefully i get asked why i am not eating, and i have always been an honest guy and i will be honest with whoever ask me, i am hoping some of the other coaches follow suit, but if not that is their choice

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
There has been discussion of our booster club not paying for coaches' spouses/guests. I know times have been tough in our club the past two years with the economy being what it is, but I think it's important that we continue.