PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to end of the season "mailing it in" games

Gobbla2001
01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Any solutions on how to keep teams from "mailing it in" at the end of the year?

Like I've said previously, I'm in between on this issue, but I kind of have some ideas... I'll go with the one that makes semi-sense to me now...

Make the divisions more important... Say the Cowboys went 10-6 and 6-0 in the division and the Eagles went 14-2 and 4-2 in the division... the Eagles would have won the division because their overall record was better... seems stupid that you can go undefeated in your division yet not win it...

I say make it to where the best division record wins the division (then go to tie-breakers if needed: conference record, SOS etc...)...

Now that the division games mean a hell of a lot more, make sure half of those games are at the end of the regular season:

Games 1-3: out of division games

Games 4-6: against your 3 division opponents

Games 7-13: out of division games

Games 14-16: your last 3 games will be the last games between your division opponents

With the new-found importance of the divisions, those last 3 games will more often than not be too important to "mail it in"...

just a suggestion... probably has all sorts of flaws, but I think it'd be better than offering incintives and/or taking further action...

lvbears32
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
we integrate the BCS system in. im only kidding please dont get all on my case

TheDOCTORdre
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I gotta agree placing more importance on division games will help alot

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont have a problem with what happened..Teams that are able to coast the last couple of weeks have earned that thru their play..Teams needing help..well they had their chances earlier in the season but could not take advantage of it

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont have a problem with what happened..Teams that are able to coast the last couple of weeks have earned that thru their play..Teams needing help..well they had their chances earlier in the season but could not take advantage of it

I'm in between for that very reason, those teams coasting HAVE earned the right...

but the Jets, along with the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, Texans and Broncos "had their chances earlier in the season but could not take advantage of it", so what did the Jets do to EARN two free-bees at the end of the year that those other 5 teams didn't? It just doesn't seem like a good thing for competition, and there sure as hell wasn't a strategic move by the Jets during the offseason to set things up that way... just luck of the draw...

Still, I don't like the NFL directly doing something about it and incintives would really be the only other option I'd go with right now...

but what's wrong with the 3 div. games at the end of the year and being in a division actually meaning more?

GrTigers6
01-05-2010, 08:29 AM
The problem with coasting at the end is when they do need to play they have lost their momentum.
I like the idea for two reasons. The one of placing more interest on the games and two it makes the schedules equal. Like for instance we may have to travel to NO, Indy, SD, while the other NFC east teams play those teams at home or vice versa.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I'm in between for that very reason, those teams coasting HAVE earned the right...

but the Jets, along with the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, Texans and Broncos "had their chances earlier in the season but could not take advantage of it", so what did the Jets do to EARN two free-bees at the end of the year that those other 5 teams didn't? It just doesn't seem like a good thing for competition, and there sure as hell wasn't a strategic move by the Jets during the offseason to set things up that way... just luck of the draw...

Still, I don't like the NFL directly doing something about it and incintives would really be the only other option I'd go with right now...

but what's wrong with the 3 div. games at the end of the year and being in a division actually meaning more?

I can understand that...problem with your scenario you posted

Week 13 Dallas is playing the Saints with 2 divisional games coming up and they are banged up so they rest 4-6 starters getting ready for their divisional part of the schedule because it is more important.

ziggy29
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Right. The Jets were quite lucky with how the schedule turned out. Still, I don't blame them. They did what they were supposed to do -- show up and try to win.

If you flip-flopped when the Jets and Texans had to play the Colts, for example, there's a good chance the Texans are in the playoffs. But even then, no amount of blaming "bad luck" in the scheduling absolves the Texans for going 1-5 in the division.

crzyjournalist03
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Reverse the draft order for playoff teams...non-playoff teams are awarded draft status based on worst winning percentage, playoff teams are awarded draft position based on best winning percentage.

It's amazing what teams will do for draft picks.

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
But even then, no amount of blaming "bad luck" in the scheduling absolves the Texans for going 1-5 in the division.

of course not... with my scenerio the Texans still aren't a for sure playoff team... just been hearing discussion on what action the NFL should take and I don't think they should take much when it comes to punishing or rewarding teams who may/may not rest their starters/mail-it-in...

just sparking conversation mostly... it's working, good yob...

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Week 13 Dallas is playing the Saints with 2 divisional games coming up and they are banged up so they rest 4-6 starters getting ready for their divisional part of the schedule because it is more important.

very good point...

Games 1-5: out of division
Game 6: in div
Game 7: out div
Game 8: in div
Game 9: out div
Game 10: in div
Game 11: out div
Game 12: in div
Game 13: out div
Game 14: in div
Game 15: out div
Game 16: in div

Maybe I'm crazy ha...

bandera7
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I dont think the NFL should do a thing. Win games the whole season and you will make the playoffs. Win 10 and, except for last year, its almost guaranteed. You have your mark for what will get you in. So go get it.

GreenMonster
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
very good point...

Games 1-5: out of division
Game 6: in div
Game 7: out div
Game 8: in div
Game 9: out div
Game 10: in div
Game 11: out div
Game 12: in div
Game 13: out div
Game 14: in div
Game 15: out div
Game 16: in div

Maybe I'm crazy ha... I like it. Also, no more crossover games. AFC only plays AFC until Super Bowl and same for NFC. Then seed the teams after the season is over by conference and whichever conference wins the Super Bowl give their lowest seed the number 1 pick then the other conference lowest seed gets the #2 pick etc. Make the division games count more, the conference games count more, and the Super Bowl count more.

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Win games the whole season and you will make the playoffs. Win 10 and, except for last year, its almost guaranteed. You have your mark for what will get you in. So go get it.

that's the obvious and it is true...

but I'm arguing that at the end of the season 5 teams had 8 wins and were going for 2 playoff spots... they all needed 9 wins... 4 teams did it... 1 team was given two free-bee games to close the season... that's the whole point...

The Jets beat the Bengals no matter what IMO and will again this week in Cincy... just can't say the same for the Colts...

bandera7
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I know exactly what you are saying, but I think its hard to change a rule because too many teams just didnt get enough done.

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
AFC only plays AFC until Super Bowl and same for NFC.

I think they should keep the out-of-confrence schedule the way it is... I think people want to see Indy v. Dallas and Indy v. Philly next season...

I don't see a negative with the out-of-confrence games... maybe that's just me...

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I know exactly what you are saying, but I think its hard to change a rule because too many teams just didnt get enough done.

well I say the team that made it didn't get enough "done"... they sucked as much as the rest and the first stringers pretty much just had to show up two weeks ago... it was enough to get them in, but they didn't really "do it"...

but that's not the only thing this is about... it's also about making the divisions matter... losing a division you swept to a team that went 3-3 in that division just sounds silly... I'm glad districts don't work that way...

TheDOCTORdre
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Whats your schedule look like if they turn the regular season into an 18 game season?

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Whats your schedule look like if they turn the regular season into an 18 game season?

good question...

I guess since two games are added, make games 1-7 out of division and finish the remainder of the schedule as I suggested, alternating division games with out of division games...

though I've heard of the consideration of 18 games, I haven't really given it much thought...

I guess my "knee-jerk reaction" to it is that 16 games is quite enough to get things decided... 16 regular season games is a lot of games for football IMO... I'll give it more thought...

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
good question...

I guess since two games are added, make games 1-7 out of division and finish the remainder of the schedule as I suggested, alternating division games with out of division games...

though I've heard of the consideration of 18 games, I haven't really given it much thought...

I guess my "knee-jerk reaction" to it is that 16 games is quite enough to get things decided... 16 regular season games is a lot of games for football IMO... I'll give it more thought...

so basically u believe a 8-8 team that goes 6-0 in division should win ad be a higher seed than say a 12-4 team i that same divisio?

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
so basically u believe a 8-8 team that goes 6-0 in division should win ad be a higher seed than say a 12-4 team i that same divisio?

well now that I think about it more, every team in a division plays their 6 division games and 8 of their other games against competition the other 3 teams in their division face as well... so 14 of those games are of equal competition... that makes my arguement hold less water I suppose...

But I don't think a 7-3 (3-3) Yoakum team should make the playoffs over a 6-4 (4-2) Edna team for example...

maybe it's because I've paid 2,000x more attention to HS football than NFL football in my lifetime (and I think that is what it is), but it seems a tad silly that a team that doesn't have the best division record can win the division (always thought that about MLB and NBA as well)...

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
well now that I think about it more, every team in a division plays their 6 division games and 8 of their other games against competition the other 3 teams in their division face as well... so 14 of those games are of equal competition... that makes my arguement hold less water I suppose...

But I don't think a 7-3 (3-3) Yoakum team should make the playoffs over a 6-4 (4-2) Edna team for example...

maybe it's because I've paid 2,000x more attention to HS football than NFL football in my lifetime (and I think that is what it is), but it seems a tad silly that a team that doesn't have the best division record can win the division (always thought that about MLB and NBA as well)...

Difference is as you said..in the NFL you play enough of a balanced schedule that overall record matters

In High School you cant, so the district record is important or EVERY team would schedule crap teams in non district to prop up their overall record..in NFL you play the schedule given to you.

Again..Houston and Pitt simply should have take care of their own games earlier in the season and the Jets are not playing for the play-offs

Gobbla2001
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Difference is as you said..in the NFL you play enough of a balanced schedule that overall record matters

In High School you cant, so the district record is important or EVERY team would schedule crap teams in non district to prop up their overall record..in NFL you play the schedule given to you.

Again..Houston and Pitt simply should have take care of their own games earlier in the season and the Jets are not playing for the play-offs

Paragraph 1: Agree

Paragraph 2: Agree

Paragraph 3: As I've said, I'm not trying to figure out ways to get the Texans in, this is a national topic and I really don't want to see direct punishments/incintives for teams that may/may not rest starters at the end of the year... so I figured we'd have a discussion about other possible solutions... I've tried to give my best and I've ended up slamming down my own...

but I do think my way would be a little more exciting... mainly because I say so...