PDA

View Full Version : My poor heat pump....

ziggy29
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
...it is seriously being overworked this winter.

We just got our utility bill for last month. It's the highest electric use we've had since we moved here almost four years ago. Yes, the heat pump has been on in December more than the A/C works in July, apparently. Usually winter electric bills are quite a bit lower. Not this month.

And we're probably going down into the teens Thursday night and Friday night.

I thought I lived in Texas.

BwdLion73
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Heat pumps struggle to work properly when temps get really low.Your going to have a rough Thursday thru Saturday. I dread seeing my Electric bill this month also.
They are comparing this front with the freeze of 83 and 89, looks like its time to pile up the firewood.

44INAROW
01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
We got an entire new unit - outside and new ductwork, etc last Spring. THANK GOODNESS. Our poor "old" heatpump probably would not survive this coming week ( you could hear it running outside on a cool morning - no telling what it would do when it is really cold) I am heater/AC ignorant... Are all heat pumps gas or are there some that are electric? Our's is gas, so my electric bills are lower in the winter months but the gas it obviously higher.

Ranger Mom
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
We got an entire new unit - outside and new ductwork, etc last Spring. THANK GOODNESS. Our poor "old" heatpump probably would not survive this coming week ( you could hear it running outside on a cool morning - no telling what it would do when it is really cold) I am heater/AC ignorant... Are all heat pumps gas or are there some that are electric? Our's is gas, so my electric bills are lower in the winter months but the gas it obviously higher.

Our heat pump is electric.

bobcat4life
01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
We keep the heater on 62 and have a fire going most of the time. Its alot cheaper

Old Dog
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Had a heat pump for over 20 years. When the temp got below 17 degrees or so, it was worthless. Now we have new low energy electric unit and we stay warmer for less money than before.

Old Green
01-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
We got an entire new unit - outside and new ductwork, etc last Spring. THANK GOODNESS. Our poor "old" heatpump probably would not survive this coming week ( you could hear it running outside on a cool morning - no telling what it would do when it is really cold) I am heater/AC ignorant... Are all heat pumps gas or are there some that are electric? Our's is gas, so my electric bills are lower in the winter months but the gas it obviously higher. We put in a complete $9000.00 AC/Heat unit with 42 ER rating 2 years ago. Thought about going with a heat pump. Glad I didn't. Nice and toasty. last months electric portion of my bill was $169.00:cheerl:

Old Dog
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Our heat pump was electric...........

SintonFan
01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I thought all heat pumps were electric. Huh...
My neighbor's heat pump failed this past weekend. They had a new thermostat installed by CPS, so that might have been the reason why.
Heat pumps have an "emergency" or "backup" heating element for when the temperature dips below 35-38 degrees. This is an old-fashioned type of heating element just like in your stove to warm the heat exchanger. When that kicks on watch your electric meter spin because this draws a lot of current to operate.:nerd: