PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams & Martellus Bennett

Bullaholic
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
What do you think happens with these 2 players?

I think Roy is gone next season if the Cowboys can get anything at all close to his contract or trade material from another team, and Martellus will be gone the following year if he doesn't improve to the level that the Cowboys are expecting.

JasperDog94
01-04-2010, 12:23 PM
My understanding is that Martellus has been hobbled by a foot injury. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but I thought that's what one of the broadcasters said yesterday.

As far as Roy Williams goes...I won't even go there.

nationalpastime
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Yesterday when I was watching the game and Joe Buck brought up a good point...the Cowboys gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick to get Roy Williams (a receiver IMO that never really made it to the "superstar" level) and that was what the Cardinals were wanting the same thing for Boldin. I know that's a thing in the past, but could you imagine if the 'Boys would have gotten Boldin instead of Williams?

Maroon87
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Did ya'll notice yesterday that late in the game, when the Cowboys were trying to run clock, that Williams wasn't even on the field? And it's not like they were just pounding the ball...Romo was still throwing.

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Did ya'll notice yesterday that late in the game, when the Cowboys were trying to run clock, that Williams wasn't even on the field? And it's not like they were just pounding the ball...Romo was still throwing.

Clock stops on incompletions. Roy Williams has probably the worst hands on the receiving corps right now.

It's a shame that the Cowboys replaced on battering ram named Roy Williams with another, but the fact is that he's a talented player who's not playing like a starter right now.

GrTigers6
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by nationalpastime
Yesterday when I was watching the game and Joe Buck brought up a good point...the Cowboys gave up a 1st and 3rd round pick to get Roy Williams (a receiver IMO that never really made it to the "superstar" level) and that was what the Cardinals were wanting the same thing for Boldin. I know that's a thing in the past, but could you imagine if the 'Boys would have gotten Boldin instead of Williams? The problem with this is the first sentence, something Joe Buck said as a good point, Thats hard to believe in itself.:D
But on the other point that may have been a better deal, as it is right now anyway

GreenMonster
01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, I always thought that the guys that couldn't catch were sent to defense so turn Bennett into a d-end and look at Roy-Boy as a nickle back.

MJMbrahmas10
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I think they need to bench williams, clearly they have better back ups, crayton, hurd and even ogeltree who play maybe 5 plays a game but seems to make plays every chance he has......and phillips at TE has really impressed me

lvbears32
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
i say give bennett one more year and dont let williams on the field this weekend

Maroon87
01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Clock stops on incompletions.

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday...;)

statewide
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Bennet is lazy in practice and is a disgrace. Has a lot of natural ability but 0 work ethic from what I have heard and seen in hard knocks. Williams was a stud at other places. I had rather see Williams get another year than Bennet, hope he is gone gone gone.

Bullaholic
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by statewide
Bennet is lazy in practice and is a disgrace. Has a lot of natural ability but 0 work ethic from what I have heard and seen in hard knocks. Williams was a stud at other places. I had rather see Williams get another year than Bennet, hope he is gone gone gone.

From what I have heard, Martellus wants to be a showbiz personality worse than an NFL star---but I agree that he has the tools to a great tight end.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by statewide

lol so from hard knocks last year you have formed an opinion on him for his whole career?

Bennett is what he is..a VERY good in fact better than what people think in being a run blocker...he needs to improve his route running..BUT one reason Phillips is doing solid at 2nd TE right now is he is not accounted for when it comes to D game planning

Bennett is in YEAR TWO..lets see where he develops before we get rid of him

Bullaholic
01-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Wonder why the Cowboys haven't thrown the fade more to Bennett in the red zone---put the ball up high and let him use those basketball skills more.

NateDawg39
01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Wonder why the Cowboys haven't thrown the fade more to Bennett in the red zone---put the ball up high and let him use those basketball skills more. After the last few games i am surprised the Boys don't use more fades in the red zone. Romo has proven he can put the ball in the best place for his receivers to get it

Maroon87
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Wonder why the Cowboys haven't thrown the fade more to Bennett in the red zone---put the ball up high and let him use those basketball skills more.

I watched him play at Alief Taylor and once they got in the red zone it was "fade to Martellus left, fade to Martellus right..."

slpybear the bullfan
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Bennet was getting big kudos on the postgame shows for his blocking ability and its improvement throughout the year. One of the commentators, (maybe Norm H.) said the natural progression of the "Solid" TE in the NFL is... 1.) Special Teams 2.) Blocking 3.) Receiving. Said most of them never make it much into phase 3.

I think that makes a lot of sense. And do agree Bennett makes a good bookend opposite Whitten.

But really, how about Doug Free?!

Old Tiger
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Marty B is the best thing to come from A&M ever.

Trashman
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
What do you think happens with these 2 players?

I think Roy is gone next season if the Cowboys can get anything at all close to his contract or trade material from another team, and Martellus will be gone the following year if he doesn't improve to the level that the Cowboys are expecting.

How much will it cost the Cowboys to get rid of williams?

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
How much will it cost the Cowboys to get rid of williams?

I think it is real easy to jump on the get rid of him bandwagon..but I like how he has basically said hey if we win I am happy..also he has 7 touchdowns..He is what he is..a #2 WR making #1 money...until that becomes a problem salary cap wise I say keep him. Him, Austin, Crayton and Witten form a pretty formidable passing attack and they all do diff things

Trashman
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think it is real easy to jump on the get rid of him bandwagon..but I like how he has basically said hey if we win I am happy..also he has 7 touchdowns..He is what he is..a #2 WR making #1 money...until that becomes a problem salary cap wise I say keep him. Him, Austin, Crayton and Witten form a pretty formidable passing attack and they all do diff things

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of getting rid of Roy. I assumed that it would cost the Cowboys far more to get rid of him than he is currently worth. If he stays I think he will get better. The question is, how soon?:clap:

nationalpastime
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
[i]

But really, how about Doug Free?! [/B]

no freakin' joke

CueroDad08
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I am not sure if eather will be gone. But I was at the Game sunday and seeing both of the live and first hand, I would say the cowboys are alot better without eather of them on the field.

MJMbrahmas10
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
next year i would say let adams go and move colombo to LT and keep free at RT he is doing amazing....best effort i have seen

PhiI C
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Be patient fellow Cowboy fans. I think next year both these players are going to make us proud.

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Draft Golden Tate!

GrTigers6
01-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
next year i would say let adams go and move colombo to LT and keep free at RT he is doing amazing....best effort i have seen I say do it now when columbo is ready to play again this year.

GreenMonster
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

You're right about them all doing different things...

Witten is always open and has velcro for hands usually.
Austin catches the ball and runs like hell.
Crayton knows his role and makes key catches and returns punts.
Williams either drops or ignores passes thrown his way to stop the clock.
Bennet just looks bad going out for passes, needs to keep blocking.

slpybear the bullfan
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
The downfield blocking by Free on the Felix Jones run was BEE YOU TII FULLL.

GreenMonster
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Draft Golden Tate! why not, already had a TE named Golden Richards.

BwdLions
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Golden Richards was a WR.

BwdLions
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Clock stops on incompletions. Roy Williams has probably the worst hands on the receiving corps right now.

It's a shame that the Cowboys replaced on battering ram named Roy Williams with another, but the fact is that he's a talented player who's not playing like a starter right now.

The other Roy Williams was slow and couldn't cover anyone. He is the reason we now have the horse collar rule in the NFL. It was his specialty.

NateDawg39
01-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Golden Richards was a WR. Yes and Golden Tate could possibly turn into Larry Fitzgerald from what some so called experts are saying. I hope he is available when the Boys get their pick

injuredinmelee
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
A guy that played with Roy Williams at Ut and also played sparingly in the NFL said that Roy was the laziest person he had ever been on a team with. Everythng he did was based on ability. Said he could of been SUPERSTAR if he would o worked at it. Watched Jeff Madden literally chase Williams down the hall from the weightroom down to the training room at UT just to get him to work out.

eagleqb_14
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
id rather have TO then williams. bennett is doing a good ok job