PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Texas Tech!

wimbo_pro
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Big game...big win. I hope this is an indication of how Tech's football program is going to handle this mess. I am proud of them!

statewide
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Great coaching job, great play on the field. I was proud of the coaching staff, proud of the kids and the fans for booing the James kid? The most classless fans in the state. Please get them out of San Antonio and send them back to the cow pastures of West Texas where they belong!

wimbo_pro
01-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by statewide
Great coaching job, great play on the field. I was proud of the coaching staff, proud of the kids and the fans for booing the James kid? The most classless fans in the state. Please get them out of San Antonio and send them back to the cow pastures of West Texas where they belong!

Of course I was disappointed that they would do that on national TV. My god, dont they have any class??

But the players...wow, they came through. They made even the booing fans proud, though they didnt deserve it.

navscanmaster
01-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I personally was getting sick of hearing the ESPN (of course) commentators constantly bringing up Leach and the ordeal. I was quietly giving them a STHU every time.:rolleyes:

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
A bitter/sweet victory.
The only way I can describe it.

ziggy29
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm certainly happy for all the innocent players and coaches associated with the TT program and impressed with their ability to shake off the adversity and take care of business.

Most of the others directly involved in this mess, well, they don't deserve to share the credit involved as far as I'm concerned.

LH Panther Mom
01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Of course I was disappointed that they would do that on national TV. My god, dont they have any class??
We missed (thank goodness!) the halftime and quite frankly, even though I was torked that the BWW in Abilene decided to have the audio going from some UFC fights the majority of the first half, I was glad to not have to listen to the ESPN guys and their constant drivel when showing AJ. :rolleyes: We listened to the second half with John Harris on the radio on the road, where the commentary was on the GAME. :eek: (Imagine that!)

I certainly don't agree with the booing! But, I can sort of understand the mindset that is behind it. Think about it - since the days of J. T. King, we've had Jim Carlen & Steve Sloan, both pretty "decent", Rex Dockery & Jerry Moore, both :rolleyes: :doh: :dispntd: :helpme: and David McWilliams :mad: :mad: (where's the throw up smiley?!?). A large portion of fans don't even remember a time before Spike Dykes. Seventeen years & five coaches; twenty-three years & two coaches.

Now you've got a (from several reported accounts) primadonna, lazy, no work ethic, whiner, slacker player with ESPN as a mouthpiece having his dad whine/gripe to the coaches, then admins, about playtime; who was punished, along with other(s), for slacking in practice as was standard team policy; who (may have) embellished the truth on subsequent actions taken due to a concussion; who along with his "mouthpiece" gave (some of) the members of the Board of Regents, the AD and at least one (maybe more) influential (monetarily at least) BOOSTER the "reason" they've wanted/needed for a year to finally get rid of the coach with the most winning record & highest graduation rate of any previous coach in school history because they didn't want to pay the pirate the bonus...and future raises from contract negotiations. :ack!: :ack!:

Was the booing right? No! Do the Tech fans have their reasons? Yes! (And the above blah blah blah does not necessarily reflect my opinion, at least not in its' entirety.)

Green Bling
01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Thought the coaching staff and players did a great job of staying in the moment of the game last night. Think TT will come out of this hulla ballou just fine. May come out stronger than before.

Old Dog
01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Am I the only person that thought the ESPN commentators just flat wore out the Mike Leach situation. I see that navcannmaster agrees on that.

Their prime objective should have been the game and the kids playing!

jlwttu
01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Am I the only person that thought the ESPN commentators just flat wore out the Mike Leech situation.

Their prime objective should have been the game and the kids playing!

I muted the tv and turned on the Tech radio play by play.

Cotton
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We missed (thank goodness!) the halftime and quite frankly, even though I was torked that the BWW in Abilene decided to have the audio going from some UFC fights the majority of the first half, I was glad to not have to listen to the ESPN guys and their constant drivel when showing AJ. :rolleyes: We listened to the second half with John Harris on the radio on the road, where the commentary was on the GAME. :eek: (Imagine that!)

I certainly don't agree with the booing! But, I can sort of understand the mindset that is behind it. Think about it - since the days of J. T. King, we've had Jim Carlen & Steve Sloan, both pretty "decent", Rex Dockery & Jerry Moore, both :rolleyes: :doh: :dispntd: :helpme: and David McWilliams :mad: :mad: (where's the throw up smiley?!?). A large portion of fans don't even remember a time before Spike Dykes. Seventeen years & five coaches; twenty-three years & two coaches.

Now you've got a (from several reported accounts) primadonna, lazy, no work ethic, whiner, slacker player with ESPN as a mouthpiece having his dad whine/gripe to the coaches, then admins, about playtime; who was punished, along with other(s), for slacking in practice as was standard team policy; who (may have) embellished the truth on subsequent actions taken due to a concussion; who along with his "mouthpiece" gave (some of) the members of the Board of Regents, the AD and at least one (maybe more) influential (monetarily at least) BOOSTER the "reason" they've wanted/needed for a year to finally get rid of the coach with the most winning record & highest graduation rate of any previous coach in school history because they didn't want to pay the pirate the bonus...and future raises from contract negotiations. :ack!: :ack!:

Was the booing right? No! Do the Tech fans have their reasons? Yes! (And the above blah blah blah does not necessarily reflect my opinion, at least not in its' entirety.)

Never have understood the animosity many Tech fans have for David McWilliams. I understand the frustration of his short stay, but he gave Tech a great season, which was a rare treat for techsters in those days. After the season, Texas offered him the job and he took it. How can you blame someone for leaving to return to their alma mater? Especially if there is a substantial pay raise, increase resources, etc.

LH Panther Mom
01-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Cotton
Never have understood the animosity many Tech fans have for David McWilliams. I understand the frustration of his short stay, but he gave Tech a great season, which was a rare treat for techsters in those days. After the season, Texas offered him the job and he took it. How can you blame someone for leaving to return to their alma mater? Especially if there is a substantial pay raise, increase resources, etc.
I don't blame him for leaving. The way he lied to Tech and the citizens of Lubbock about his intentions caused the animosity. Of course, no one would expect you to understand if you're not a Tech fan.

Cotton
01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
what exactly did he lie about?

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
what exactly did he lie about?
When Akers was given the boot, McWilliams left for Austin. His "story" was that he was just going to talk to folks in Austin, since he had been on staff, and that he had no intentions of taking a job, even if they offered him one. A handful of days later, he's back announcing he'd accepted the HC job, oh but he'd stick around to coach them in the Independence Bowl. :rolleyes: Uhm, no...take your happy butt to Austin.

Buffgal
01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Of course, no one would expect you to understand if you're not a Tech fan.

I think this sums up everything that has happened with TTU and Coach Leach, James family and administrators.

LBK and TTU is a place that is very difficult to describe to those who have never been there. I thought my kid was going off the deep end when she chose to go TX Tech. I made her visit four times and we drove all but one so I was sure she was positive about her decision and she understood in no uncertain terms just how far from home and on her own she was.

Best decision my kid ever made. TTU football will move on amid many decision making mistakes by all involved. Only time will tell the future success or failures of the James father and son. I personally hope that a network picks up Leach, his commentary embellished with pirates and fat girl friends would be better than listening to any of the ESPN mess of repeated statements about "locking in a closet".

And, I sincerely hope that the "pirate legacy of Mike Leach" sticks around in LBK. I sure would miss the flags and T Shirts and I hope the new coach is as tolerant of the personalities on the field and lets them express themselves like Carter.

Wreck em Tech.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
When Akers was given the boot, McWilliams left for Austin. His "story" was that he was just going to talk to folks in Austin, since he had been on staff, and that he had no intentions of taking a job, even if they offered him one. A handful of days later, he's back announcing he'd accepted the HC job, oh but he'd stick around to coach them in the Independence Bowl. :rolleyes: Uhm, no...take your happy butt to Austin.

Yea he did do all that..but I also dont think he thought Texas was truly going to offer him, most felt Texas would go after a giant of a name and not him. But just remember all this if TTech goes after Briles because it is basically the same thing going after and alum who has been at a school one year

Cotton
01-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Is it possible that McWilliams truly intended to stay at Tech when he made that comment, but was persuaded to go to Texas? That is possible isn't it? Regardless, what was he supposed to say? "I am going to interview in Austin, I'll let you know in a week if I am staying". Coaches are forced to lie in this situation and then the public is outraged when they realize they have been lied to .

BullsFan
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Is it possible that McWilliams truly intended to stay at Tech when he made that comment, but was persuaded to go to Texas? That is possible isn't it? Regardless, what was he supposed to say? "I am going to interview in Austin, I'll let you know in a week if I am staying". Coaches are forced to lie in this situation and then the public is outraged when they realize they have been lied to .

Not just coaches. Anyone seeking a new job is almost always going to be less than honest about it with their current employer. Otherwise you run the risk of having your employer start seeking someone to replace you. Coaches of big schools (or any schools maybe) are just in a much more public venue than people in the business world or other fields.

You can bet that when I interviewed for the job I hold now, I did not tell anyone at my old job until I was ready to turn in my resignation. If I had been asked about it directly I'm not sure what I would have said, but I certainly wouldn't have said, "I'm trying to get hired on someplace else."

LH Panther Mom
01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Sure it's possible, but 20+ years ago it didn't freaking matter what his intentions were - it's the end result that mattered at that time. Looks like you decided to pick out the stuff about him and didn't quite "get" the message behind the entire post. :doh:

And yes, I DO understand exactly why he had to say it. It wasn't a post about McWilliams!

IHStangFan
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jlwttu
I muted the tv and turned on the Tech radio play by play. LOL!! :clap: Way to stick it to the man!!! (ESPN)....kinda. :D

Cotton
01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Sure it's possible, but 20+ years ago it didn't freaking matter what his intentions were - it's the end result that mattered at that time. Looks like you decided to pick out the stuff about him and didn't quite "get" the message behind the entire post. :doh:

And yes, I DO understand exactly why he had to say it. It wasn't a post about McWilliams!

Oh, I got the message behind the entire post, but was just curious about the animosity towards McWilliams. You say 20 plus years ago and "at the time", yet, you still seem to hold a grudge. Same rings true for many tech fans I know. Anyway, was just curious to see if there was more to the story than I knew.

Emerson1
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Great win over 6-6 team with 8 players suspended.

RMAC
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Great win over 6-6 team with 8 players suspended.

Didn't know you got to pick who you played. . .:rolleyes: Sometimes the level of stupidity displayed here is amazing.