PDA

View Full Version : who takes a chance on mike leach?

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
what school is leach gunna end up at if he ever coaches again?

YTBulldogs
01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Any school that want's to win.

Phantom Stang
01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Any school that want's to win.
A lot of schools have won more without him.

OldNavy
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
A lot of schools have won more without him.

Tech hasn't! But, I would question his ability to recruit. He as put Tech on the map and proven he can coach offense, however, you might question whether he can prep players for the next level. So bad pub on treating players and his O guys not getting looks at the NFL might not attract the top prospects.

bigwood33
01-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Washington met with him last year and offered the job to someone else the next day. It seems that he doesn't interview well. I can't understand it! What, with THAT charming personality:rolleyes:

Z-RO
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Washington met with him last year and offered the job to someone else the next day. It seems that he doesn't interview well. I can't understand it! What, with THAT charming personality:rolleyes:

NO, his agents asked Washington to interview him. He tried using this as a bargining chip to get more $ from Tech.

bigwood33
01-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I read the emails too and yes, he did interview.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
i wonder if hes against coaching at the high school level? that would be a fun team to watch

LE Dad
01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
No one as HC... Not anyone major anyways:D

wimbo_pro
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
He'll coach college again. Winning makes up for a lot of personality faults.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

unless your woody harris

wimbo_pro
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
unless your woody harris

LOL. Well played sir.

Pick6
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

I would predict his winning ways was about to come to an end at TT. With TCU coming up and June Jones at SMU, TT is gonna start having competition for the type of recruits they went after.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I would predict his winning ways was about to come to an end at TT. With TCU coming up and June Jones at SMU, TT is gonna start having competition for the type of recruits they went after.

agreed. anybody know if any tech recruits have decommited?

BreckTxLonghorn
01-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by OldNavy
Tech hasn't! But, I would question his ability to recruit. He as put Tech on the map and proven he can coach offense, however, you might question whether he can prep players for the next level. So bad pub on treating players and his O guys not getting looks at the NFL might not attract the top prospects.

Why do people think tech never won before Leach? Spike Dykes had a comparable conference record, and if you look at the years he coached in the Big XII (basically removing the SWC years), he had a better winning % than Leach.

grahampaw
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Graham

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:33 PM
NFL

Emerson1
01-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Why do people think tech never won before Leach? Spike Dykes had a comparable conference record, and if you look at the years he coached in the Big XII (basically removing the SWC years), he had a better winning % than Leach.
Exactly. Leach never won anything of significance anyways.

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Exactly. Leach never won anything of significance anyways.

Yea really.....

10 consecutive winning seasons
8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
4 seasons with at least 9 wins
1 season with 11 wins
9 consecutive bowl appearances
5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)
4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25
19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year
2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 11:37 PM
i think tech was overrated even when they had leach. they had 1 good year and he became irreplacible

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
i think tech was overrated even when they had leach. they had 1 good year and he became irreplacible

Not to mention the number one passing offense in the nation on several different ocassions.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Not to mention the number one passing offense in the nation on several different ocassions.

how many national championships?

Emerson1
01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Yea really.....

10 consecutive winning seasons
8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
4 seasons with at least 9 wins
1 season with 11 wins
9 consecutive bowl appearances
5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)
4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25
19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year
2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year
I see no conference championship win or even an appearence.

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
how many national championships?

Does that really matter?

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I see no conference championship win or even an appearence.
mute point.

bobcat4life
01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
i think tech was overrated even when they had leach. they had 1 good year and he became irreplacible I agree. As a Big 12 program in one of the best states for recruiting he should have done that good. He found Micheal Crabtree and moved him from quarterback to reciever and got Graham Harrel, who alot of people didnt think he had the physical traits to play in the Big 12 but had great intelligence and knowledge of the game, and all of a sudden they have a great year. Now Leach is irreplaceable? He was great for the program and did build them from nothing but he wasnt irreplaceable.

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
"he's a serious, demanding educator whose team has a graduation rate of 79 percent, eighth best in the country and first in the Big 12 Conference" :clap:

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Does that really matter?

of course it matters its wat they paid him 4

Eagle 1
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
of course it matters its wat they paid him 4

So....he didnt get paid the whole time he was the coach?
Interesting. :thinking:

bobcat4life
01-02-2010, 11:53 PM
"he's a serious, demanding educator whose team has a graduation rate of 79 percent, eighth best in the country and first in the Big 12 Conference" :clap: is it just me or does that seem low? thats 1 in every 5 not graduating.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 11:55 PM
So....he didnt get paid the whole time he was the coach?
Interesting. :thinking:

im pretty sure that if he told crabtree or harrell or any other recruit that his goal wasnt to win a nc then he never would have gotten a single player in a tech uiniform

Diocletian
01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Places I'd like to see him go..

Utah
Cincinati
Florida State

I'd love for him to coach a team like Mizz, Baylor, or even Kanasas... just so he could play Tech ever other year.

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
is it just me or does that seem low? thats 1 in every 5 not graduating.

Compared to Texas at %40...

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
im pretty sure that if he told crabtree or harrell or any other recruit that his goal wasnt to win a nc then he never would have gotten a single player in a tech uiniform

You think?

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 12:18 AM
You think?

i just think every coach from texas to san diego state has to have the goal to win a nc 4 their school

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
i just think every coach from texas to san diego state has to have the goal to win a nc 4 their school
I never said Leach didnt have a goal for his team to win a national championship, but the fact that Tech didnt win a national championship while he was the coach, doesnt make him a bad coach.
Without doing the research, I would say that less than %5 of the of active head coaches in Div 1 college has actually won a NC.

Emerson1
01-03-2010, 12:33 AM
esearch, I would say that less than %5 of the of active hc in Div 1 college has actually won a NC.
How many are as highly regarded as him though? He is one of the most known coaches in CFB, yet he never even took Tech to a conference CG.

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:36 AM
How many are as highly regarded as him though? He is one of the most known coaches in CFB, yet he never even took Tech to a conference CG.
And your point?
I would think that a very "known" and "highely regarded" coach in CFB must have had some significant wins during his tenure.

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I never said Leach didnt have a goal for his team to win a national championship, but the fact that Tech didnt win a national championship while he was the coach, doesnt make him a bad coach.
Without doing the research, I would say that less than %5 of the of active head coaches in Div 1 college has actually won a NC.

i never said leach was a bad coach. im just saying that u can win as many bowl games as u want. to me theyr all fake championships

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:55 AM
i never said leach was a bad coach. im just saying that u can win as many bowl games as u want. to me theyr all fake championships
I see....I guess they should just simplify and call all the bowl games a "fake championship bowl". :rolleyes:

LE Dad
01-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Places I'd like to see him go..

I'd love for him to coach a team like Mizz, Baylor, or even Kanasas... just so he could play Tech ever other year. Kansas would certainly be interesting:thinking: I still don't think he will be an HC next year, but highly possible in 2011.

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I see....I guess they should just simplify and call all the bowl games a "fake championship bowl". :rolleyes:

what do they mean? i see them as just another regular season game between two teams that usually wouldnt play. my opinion from the begining was that tech is overrated except for last year

DDBooger
01-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I believe Kansas has a coach already, the head coach from Buffalo

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I believe Kansas has a coach already, the head coach from Buffalo

i thought the buffalo coach was headed to cinncinatti

DDBooger
01-03-2010, 01:07 AM
i thought the buffalo coach was headed to cinncinatti The guy who coached Cincy vs Florida is going to Buffalo

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
The guy who coached Cincy vs Florida is going to Buffalo

oh ok. so whos goin to cincy?

kaorder1999
01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
mute point.

a what?

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
a what?

i think its his fancy way of sayin it doesnt matter

kaorder1999
01-03-2010, 02:12 AM
i think its his fancy way of sayin it doesnt matter

ive heard of a MOOT point but not a mute point....

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 02:18 AM
ive heard of a MOOT point but not a mute point....

its gettin late, lets cut him some slack

bobcat4life
01-03-2010, 02:23 AM
its gettin late, lets cut him some slack a mute point means end of discussion. no more talk is required. hit the mute button

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 02:26 AM
a mute point means end of discussion. no more talk is required. hit the mute button

ah! too bad that only works when people actually know what your talkin about

kaorder1999
01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
a mute point means end of discussion. no more talk is required. hit the mute button

haha....not sure thats what he meant...

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 02:30 AM
haha....not sure thats what he meant...

i kinda feel bad talkin about him w/o him here to defend himself...oh well

bobcat4life
01-03-2010, 02:37 AM
ah! too bad that only works when people actually know what your talkin about He was replying to somebodies post on page 2 of this thread I think

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 02:40 AM
He was replying to somebodies post on page 2 of this thread I think

ya i jumped in after that. he was defendin tech cuz a couple of us said they were overrated

kaorder1999
01-03-2010, 02:44 AM
he meant moot point

Eagle 1
01-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Yea, my mistake. I meant moot.:doh:

WildTexan972
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

brilliant logic.....TCU is a 1 great year a decade team and will be right back to earth next year, and SMU is still no better than Texas State right now so June is nothing more than getting them to bowl level, but nothing more....Hawaii had about 2 good years and June cashed that in with a move, and he will do the same to SMU and then back down to HORRIBLE they will go again...

Leach has always gotten players that suit his system and style, but he made a mistake on Adam....and his program probably developed WRs better than any program around....including UT...

N4SIR
01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
I disagree with you on TCU. They have been pretty good the past 2 or 3 years and they have a good young nucleus right now. I look for them to be back next year and finish somewhere in the Top 10 teams in the nation. Don't forget, they got Dwight Smith from Carthage coming up next year and you Celina folks know what kind of stud he is.

LE Dad
01-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by N4SIR
I disagree with you on TCU. They have been pretty good the past 2 or 3 years and they have a good young nucleus right now. I look for them to be back next year and finish somewhere in the Top 10 teams in the nation. Don't forget, they got Dwight Smith from Carthage coming up next year and you Celina folks know what kind of stud he is. Yeah TCU should be good for next 2-3 years. Patterson has been tearing up some overlooked talent and has these kids rolling.

LE Dad
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

Leach has always gotten players that suit his system and style, but he made a mistake on Adam....and his program probably developed WRs better than any program around....including UT... MISTAKE is right. If he knew this kid was lazy; he should have "just said NO".

JJWalker
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
IMO Leach comes out a better coach in the long run. One thing that I like about the guy is that he seems to take the "Other" players and lets them form a good team. I hope this experience does not make him gun shy.

Lesson: Avoid media type's children. Sorry in advance to the Dunham kid from Argyle, but I would pass on him because of Adam.

N4SIR
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
IMO Leach comes out a better coach in the long run. One thing that I like about the guy is that he seems to take the "Other" players and lets them form a good team. I hope this experience does not make him gun shy.

Lesson: Avoid media type's children. Sorry in advance to the Dunham kid from Argyle, but I would pass on him because of Adam. Just keep in mind that Leach brought "this experience" on himself. He has know one else to blame.

Old Tiger
01-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Lesson: Avoid media type's children. Sorry in advance to the Dunham kid from Argyle, but I would pass on him because of Adam. Its hard to be a good college coach when your public image is ruined because that effects your ability to recruit.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
brilliant logic.....TCU is a 1 great year a decade team and will be right back to earth next year,

TCU has won 11 games 4 of the past 5 years. They ended ranked in the top 10 in three of those years. Not just one great year; they're a solid program that is about to start taking the recruits aTm, Tech, and even Texas so highly covet.

ziggy29
01-03-2010, 02:56 PM
TCU has won 11 games 4 of the past 5 years. They ended ranked in the top 10 in three of those years. Not just one great year; they're a solid program that is about to start taking the recruits aTm, Tech, and even Texas so highly covet.
Imagine how much better their recruiting could be if they had an automatic BCS bid. If the Big 10 does expand and takes Missouri as is sometimes rumored, I'd expect the Big 12 to grab TCU.

lvbears32
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Imagine how much better their recruiting could be if they had an automatic BCS bid. If the Big 10 does expand and takes Missouri as is sometimes rumored, I'd expect the Big 12 to grab TCU.

man i hope so. that would respark the rivalry

LE Dad
01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Imagine how much better their recruiting could be if they had an automatic BCS bid. If the Big 10 does expand and takes Missouri as is sometimes rumored, I'd expect the Big 12 to grab TCU. Pac 10 has new President and he has expressed a desire to epand to 12 teams also. That could make Colorado look very good to them. I have no doubt that Colorado would jump at the opportunity. Could be a big shakeup in Big XII. I don't know how they would align it, but it could open things up for a couple of Texas teams.

Twirling Time
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Lesson: Avoid media type's children. Sorry in advance to the Dunham kid from Argyle, but I would pass on him because of Adam.

I don't think George is that type of helicopter parent ... but if Blake goes to UNT, that creates a whole different set of problems. They'd have to retire the Homer Call of the Week.

alaskacat
01-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Yeah TCU should be good for next 2-3 years. Patterson has been tearing up some overlooked talent and has these kids rolling.
That will last until tomorrow when Boise State disasembles them like they did Oklahoma a couple years back and Oregon this year

icu812
01-04-2010, 04:42 PM

I agree. If somebody doesn't understand TCU is one of the top football programs in the nation and has been for several years then they haven't been paying attention to college football. Also anybody who actually watched SMU play this year knows that June Jones is getting that program turned around as well.

As far as Leach goes the guy can coach and will land on his feet somewhere either as OC or HC. TT will be fine as well provided they hire from within and keep the system intact.