PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys stadium turf question...

bwdlionfan
01-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I read an article saying that after the Cotton Bowl they will roll up this turf to put out the turf for tomorrow's Cowboy game. It said the stadium has a turf for pro games and a turf for college games. Why would they go through all of that trouble? Isn't the hash marks the only difference?

sinfan75
01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I read an article saying that after the Cotton Bowl they will roll up this turf to put out the turf for tomorrow's Cowboy game. It said the stadium has a turf for pro games and a turf for college games. Why would they go through all of that trouble? Isn't the hash marks the only difference? Reliant Stadium does the same thing I believe. except they have real grass.

Astrosdawg07
01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I read an article saying that after the Cotton Bowl they will roll up this turf to put out the turf for tomorrow's Cowboy game. It said the stadium has a turf for pro games and a turf for college games. Why would they go through all of that trouble? Isn't the hash marks the only difference?

Hash marks as well as the Numbers. Also I'm sure its quicker to roll up the college stuff then remove all the logos etc.

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
just another way for jerry jones to shoe hes got more cash than any1r else in the sports world

blowfish
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
If you havent noticed you wont see the cowboys star at midfield unless it is a cowboys game. The end zones are the same way. I am sure it is to lure more teams since they can offer them their respective logos on the field.

My understanding is that the field is velcroed into place so they can swap out fields pretty fast. I watched a time lapse of them changing the turf on the Dallas Morning news website earlier this year.

bwdlionfan
01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I also heard that the Rose Bowl will have an entirely different field for next week's championship game than it did yesterday... What's the reason for that?

Diocletian
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
If you watched Inside the NFL on showtime last thursday, they did an interview with Jones.

He stated one of the things that the owners and players aren't agreeing with the costs that are associated with the upkeep of stadiums...

My thoughts are this: that stadium even been filled yet?.. if not I doubt it ever will and thus costs too much for what it's worth.

bobcat4life
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
If you watched Inside the NFL on showtime last thursday, they did an interview with Jones.

He stated one of the things that the owners and players aren't agreeing with the costs that are associated with the upkeep of stadiums...

My thoughts are this: that stadium even been filled yet?.. if not I doubt it ever will and thus costs too much for what it's worth. It was filled for the first game of the year but that was it as far as filling it up I think

3afan
01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
just another way for jerry jones to shoe hes got more cash than any1r else in the sports world

:rolleyes:

lvbears32
01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

My thoughts are this: that stadium even been filled yet?.. if not I doubt it ever will and thus costs too much for what it's worth.

amen!

blowfish
01-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Didnt Jerry have the most ever attendance for a regualr season game agianst the Giants the first game of the year? It was over 100,000. They havent configured the stadium like that since that game. I believe that for most venues it is configured for 70,000.

They must be "filling it or we would not be watching the games on tv due to black out rules.

Emerson1
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Didnt Jerry have the most ever attendance for a regualr season game agianst the Giants the first game of the year? It was over 100,000. They havent configured the stadium like that since that game. I believe that for most venues it is configured for 70,000.

They must be "filling it or we would not be watching the games on tv due to black out rules.
No, 30,000 of those were party passes. They haven't done the 100,000 seats configuration yet.

sinfan75
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Arizona's turf can be rolled outside as is. Ya'll gripe about Cowboys turf being taken up?

GrTigers6
01-04-2010, 07:04 AM
They have sold out every game this year. Because I tried to buy tickets.

spaniard
01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
the attendance last night was 100,621 according to the article i read on fox sports. they've always had a full house regardless of how the team is doing, even at texas stadium it was almost always a sellout

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by lvbears32

Really? If it was all about Money Jones would have one turf and not multiple turf fields

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by spaniard
the attendance last night was 100,621 according to the article i read on fox sports. they've always had a full house regardless of how the team is doing, even at texas stadium it was almost always a sellout

I was at the game yesterday and my wife and I looked for and couldn't find an empty seat. The party pass people were 4-5 deep all the way around the endzones. I'd say that stadium was pretty much filled.

slpybear the bullfan
01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
It was filled for the first game of the year but that was it as far as filling it up I think

Filled for Big12 Champ as well. Prolly full on Saturday if I were guessing.

Magnificent facility. Methinks it will do just fine.

slpybear the bullfan
01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
:rolleyes:

+1

slpybear the bullfan
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Rose bowl has had special turf growing for past several weeks and it is now being installed. After playing games there plus Rose Bowl there they want the surface Pristine for the BCS NAT CHAMP game...

...where the Longhorns will defeat the Tide.

HOOK EM!

jdawg2012
01-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I also heard that the Rose Bowl will have an entirely different field for next week's championship game than it did yesterday... What's the reason for that?

Well it would look really stupid if the field said Oregon and Ohio State when Texas and Alabama are playing. The paint is removable with a chemical, and they just re-paint.

slpybear the bullfan
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Rose bowl has had special turf growing for past several weeks and it is now being installed. After playing games there plus Rose Bowl there they want the surface Pristine for the BCS NAT CHAMP game...

...where the Longhorns will defeat the Tide.

HOOK EM!

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/Athletic+Turf+News/Rose-Bowl-gets-fresh-field-New-Years-Day-for-Citi-/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/649941?contextCategoryId=3209

waterboy
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I've got a question:

When will they hold a NCAA football National Championship at Cowboy's Stadium? Just a question.........I would think it would be the perfect venue. :)

crzyjournalist03
01-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I've got a question:

When will they hold a NCAA football National Championship at Cowboy's Stadium? Just a question.........I would think it would be the perfect venue. :)

Not until the Fiesta Bowl gets kicked out of the BCS in favor of the Cotton Bowl.

The NCAA championship game rotates among the BCS game locations. Fiesta bowl employees are reportedly worried about getting ditched for the Cotton Bowl, but that's most likely several years away.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Not until the Fiesta Bowl gets kicked out of the BCS in favor of the Cotton Bowl.

The NCAA championship game rotates among the BCS game locations. Fiesta bowl employees are reportedly worried about getting ditched for the Cotton Bowl, but that's most likely several years away.

I dont think they get kicked out, I think Cotton just joins rotation

waterboy
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think they get kicked out, I think Cotton just joins rotation
I just couldn't remember how that worked. I remember the Cotton Bowl wasn't considered worthy of a NC game back when they went to the rotating venue. They now have a worthy venue to be put into the BCS rotation, but probably won't be put into it for another couple of years.:( As far as I'm concerned, Cowboy's Stadium is THE premier championship venue in the world now.

NastySlot
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I just couldn't remember how that worked. I remember the Cotton Bowl wasn't considered worthy of a NC game back when they went to the rotating venue. They now have a worthy venue to be put into the BCS rotation, but probably won't be put into it for another couple of years.:( As far as I'm concerned, Cowboy's Stadium is THE premier championship venue in the world now.

yeah...hey do you remember when the only january 1st games were the orange, sugar, cotton and rose bowls..?

i need to check this stadium out....my son has been and told me it's really nice...and huge..............a coaching buddy of mine went to watch a high school buddy of his that plays for the chargers he told me it's over rated......i guess i gotta see for myself..

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
yeah...hey do you remember when the only january 1st games were the orange, sugar, cotton and rose bowls..?

i need to check this stadium out....my son has been and told me it's really nice...and huge..............a coaching buddy of mine went to watch a high school buddy of his that plays for the chargers he told me it's over rated......i guess i gotta see for myself..

At first when you walk in it's like ok big deal it is nice, but not all that..but then you really start to guage the size of it and it becomes amazing.

Ithink some tweaks need to be done like better scoreboards, but I think they will be added

waterboy
01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I definitely remember when there were true "Bowl" games.

I haven't been to the new Cowboy's Stadium, but I'd venture a guess as to what it is like based on what most people have to say about it. If it'll hold over 100,000 people easily, I'd think it would be an ideal venue. Some people think it's a little "overkill" with the biggest HD screens in the world dominating most of the view, and probably takes a little away from some people's idea of what seeing the game "in person" means, but you have to admit it would be the experience of a lifetime (at least right now) to play in a place like that.

slpybear the bullfan
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
The stadium is phenomenal (sp?)

An incredible venue to watch a game in. Sound is pretty tough in a dome and the Death Star is about as good as the others. Video boards are perfect in my opinion. Scoreboards need to be enlarged as one other poster mentioned. Otherwise, just right.

And yeah, I think it does get into the NAT Champ Rotation.