PDA

View Full Version : Robstown Football History (1952-2009)

WOS87
12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/r/robstown.gif

PhiI C
12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey WOS87 you may not have the information but if you do can you tell us the score of the 1954 game between Robstown and Falfurrias. I am sure that Falfurrias won. No hurry. Just when you have time.

WOS87
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Hey WOS87 you may not have the information but if you do can you tell us the score of the 1954 game between Robstown and Falfurrias. I am sure that Falfurrias won. No hurry. Just when you have time.

Robstown, Freer and Falfurrias ended in a 3-way tie for district champ in 1954 with Freer advancing to the playoffs by coin flip

Falfurrias 13, Robstown 12
Freer 27, Falfurrias 12
Robstown 13, Freer 7

PhiI C
12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Robstown, Freer and Falfurrias ended in a 3-way tie for district champ in 1954 with Freer advancing to the playoffs by coin flip

Falfurrias 13, Robstown 12
Freer 27, Falfurrias 12
Robstown 13, Freer 7

Thank you WOS87!! Do you happen to know the date the Falfurrias vs Robstown game was played?

WOS87
12-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Thank you WOS87!! Do you happen to know the date the Falfurrias vs Robstown game was played?

I believe it was Friday November 19, 1954

I tried to find a game summary for you but could only find the lists of statewide scores

Here's a clip from the 11/19/54 Corpus sports page

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/robfal54.gif

PhiI C
12-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Fantastic! Thank you WOS87!!

PhiI C
01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
That was a great year for the Freer Buckaroos. The team was Coach by J.W. Helms who left after that year to go to San Benito and later went to A&M as an assistant coach. His assistant (and there was only one) was Robert Turner who became head coach until he left after 1959 when he led Freer to the Quarterfinals. My late Brother in Law played for him there. I don't know where he went afterward.
AS WOS87 pointed out the final records in that District 32 AA was in a three way tie between Freer, Robstown and Falfurrias and the Robstown vs Falfurrias game was the last game of the regular season. Freer had beat Falfurrias on 20-21 and Robstown beat Freer on 11-12-04. The district consisted of Freer, Robstown, Falfurrias, Aransas Pass, Sinton, and San Diego. Remember then that there was no OT in tie games or two point options after tds. If Robstown could have made just one extra point and tied Falfurrias they would have won the District. But Fallfurrias held on and in the coin flip Freer won and advanced. Even if they had had point differences then Freer would have won but we were fortunate indeed to advance.

Freer had a great running back Joe Holcomb who is one of the top single season rushers in that area for one year with 2,357 yard in 14 games. He later was a principal at Freer Junior High. Freer got all the way to the semis where they lost to Kileen 14 to 7 and Kileen was to lost the state championship ot Phillips in a close 21 to 13 game. Freer surprised everyone by getting as far as they did because the district was considered very weak by the rest of the state. What got their attention was that Freer surprised everyone by tying Nederland 28 to 28 in the quarter finals. There was no OT then so Freer advanced to the semis because we had the edge in pentrations at 5 to 4.

A great year indeed but unfortunately I was very young and don't remember much of it. I did know Mr. Holcomb very good because he came back to Freer as a junior high coach and later junior high principal. He supported the high school athletics and inspried me to run my best race in my last race along with my head track coach Jim Rettig who became a top assistant at Gregory-Portland.

WOS87
03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
UPDATE: The history has been extended back from 1970 all the way to 1952, at which time they actually had an all-time winning percentage over 60%. 1956 was the last time Robstown ever won a playoff game.

Bull Butter
03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
1978: Alice 66 Robstown 0.....Arnold Serrata of Alice sets a state record by scoring 50 points in that game. I believe the record has since been broken