PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism in the U.S.

Bullaholic
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks like U.S. targeted terrorism has reared it's ugly head again in the form of the "underwear bomber". What do we do about it?

IMO, I almost think we need to take flight security to the level of making every passenger strip naked and issuing them a hospital gown in which to make the flight. :D

On the subject of x-ray body scanners---bring em' on---somebody getting their privates viewed is a small price to pay when the lives of 200+ people could be lost.

On profiling---you bet, let's do it---if you have information in your background linking you to suspected terrorist contacts or activity---you don't set foot on an airplane, end of story.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
It is a thin line between personal rights over safety and vice versa

Bullaholic
12-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is a thin line between personal rights over safety and vice versa

Yes it is, for some folks....

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yes it is, for some folks....

I think for the majority of folks it is..and the funny thing it crosses all political lines.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

Bullaholic
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I think for the majority of folks it is..and the funny thing it crosses all political lines.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

Well, TxB--I think it's time as a country that we put your assumption to the test, by referendum, if necessary, and I am equally convinced that the majority of Americans are willing to go along with giving up some civil liberties right now---especially in light of recent events. Loss of some civil liberties just does not equate to the potential for loss of inncocent lives in my book. Time we quit being "idealistic" and become practical.

Phantom Stang
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
"Originally posted by Txbroadcaster [/i]

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security [/QUOTE]"

I agree. In my opinion, the best defense against terrorism is to not act terrified.

Both the "shoe bomber" and this last clown, were thwarted by the vigilance of other passengers, after government measures to keep us "safe" had failed.

TheDOCTORdre
12-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't fly, they can do wht ever they have to at airports lol

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Well, TxB--I think it's time as a country that we put your assumption to the test, by referendum, if necessary, and I am equally convinced that the majority of Americans are willing to go along with giving up some civil liberties right now---especially in light of recent events. Loss of some civil liberties just does not equate to the potential for loss of inncocent lives in my book. Time we quit being "idealistic" and become practical.

The problem is once you give up SOME civil liberties it makes it easier to take others. The slippery Slope is real easy to get on in the name of being safe.

Freedom like we have is not just idealistic it is 100% practical IMO

BwdLion73
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Well he said he had trained and was trying to blow the plane up and kill people.
I know I will catch flack for this but I kinda invisioned walking him to the tarmac at the airport and shooting him.:thinking:

waterboy
12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Awww.....c'mon, Bullaholic! All you want is to see a bunch of naked people!:D I can see it now........Bull would be hanging around airports all the time!:doh: :eek: :D

P.S. Would that requirement be for stewardesses, too? If so, I might join you!:D

Emerson1
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Don't see a problem with airlines wanting to keep their property safe. If you don't like it, don't fly. Flying isn't some kind of right, it's a private business.

Phantom Stang
12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by waterboy

P.S. Would that requirement be for stewardesses, too? If so, I might join you!:D
They're called Flight Attendants nowadays!!
Listen to Phil, and BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!:mad:

waterboy
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
They're called Flight Attendants nowadays!!
Listen to Phil, and BE POLITICALLY CORRECT!!:mad:
:doh: Flight Attendants, stewardesses, I don't care what you call them as long as they're pretty!:D It was perfectly fine to call them stewardesses for what......50 years or so? Besides, I ain't one to be politically correct.........:eek:

Psssst........don't tell Phil that, though....:doh:

Phantom Stang
12-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
It was perfectly fine to call them stewardesses for what......50 years or so?

Good point, but what are we suppose to call the fags that do the same job? :thinking: :D

NateDawg39
12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
We should just shut down airports and close the borders and collect guns, ammo, food, water and gas and live in underground bunkers and shoot off every nuke available and come out in a few years...maybe they will have learned a lesson and wrote an apology note at that time

Phil C
12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
We should just shut down airports and close the borders and collect guns, ammo, food, water and gas and live in underground bunkers and shoot off every nuke available and come out in a few years...maybe they will have learned a lesson and wrote an apology note at that time

Then we wouldn't get to enjoy the Tour de France! :eek:

waterboy
12-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Good point, but what are we suppose to call the fags that do the same job? :thinking: :D
:spitlol: bwahahahaha.....:D The same thing you called them?:clap:

Trashman
12-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Benjamin Franklin:

Nice quote; but flying on a commercial airliner is not a right.

NateDawg39
12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Thats why I fly private :D

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Nice quote; but flying on a commercial airliner is not a right.

Never said it was a right..But airport security is in part ran by our National government. And personal rights are still personal rights whether in an airport or in a mall.

AP Panther Fan
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Don't see a problem with airlines wanting to keep their property safe. If you don't like it, don't fly. Flying isn't some kind of right, it's a private business.

I agree. It is their business, but I am also certain that the human life factor (or the loss thereof) could be extremely bad for business. I don't know, these are crazy times we live in and yes, it does call for drastic measures. If I need to fly, I hope I choose an airline that takes the extra precautions, but if I get onboard with one of those crazy terrorist....maybe it was just my time.

My husband will probably go buy me tickets to somewhere now. :D

skins4life
12-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Well he said he had trained and was trying to blow the plane up and kill people.
I know I will catch flack for this but I kinda invisioned walking him to the tarmac at the airport and shooting him.:thinking:

Don't know if anyone else has said it!!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

wimbo_pro
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Never said it was a right..But airport security is in part ran by our National government. And personal rights are still personal rights whether in an airport or in a mall.

TxBroadcaster...I understand your point, but there is (and always has been) a trade off. There is a middle ground, and we must determine how much of each we are willing to give up to protect innocent lives in light of terrorists who want nothing more than to kill you and your children.

By the way, I love quotes by our founding fathers...but lets keep them in perspective with the times. If we dont take the times into consideration, then we must apply our standards of today to their lives back then. And if we do that (regarding your quote about liberty), Franklin only was refering to Liberty for 1/6th of the population at the time.

rockdale80
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
TxBroadcaster...I understand your point, but there is (and always has been) a trade off. There is a middle ground, and we must determine how much of each we are willing to give up to protect innocent lives in light of terrorists who want nothing more than to kill you and your children.

By the way, I love quotes by our founding fathers...but lets keep them in perspective with the times. If we dont take the times into consideration, then we must apply our standards of today to their lives back then. And if we do that (regarding your quote about liberty), Franklin only was refering to Liberty for 1/6th of the population at the time.

I think it is funny that republicans whine about government intervention, but ask for it when they get a little scared. I hate to sound callous, but compared to other countries we have a very low rate of terrorism and there isnt really a need to panic. 9/11 was tragic indeed, but we didnt need the knee jerk patriot act to infringe upon civil rights anymore than we need to knee jerk into extra precautions because of a nut job's underwear.

wimbo_pro
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I think it is funny that republicans whine about government intervention, but ask for it when they get a little scared. I hate to sound callous, but compared to other countries we have a very low rate of terrorism and there isnt really a need to panic. 9/11 was tragic indeed, but we didnt need the knee jerk patriot act to infringe upon civil rights anymore than we need to knee jerk into extra precautions because of a nut job's underwear.

But you must remember that one of the main jobs of the U.S. gvt is to protect its citizens...there is no conflict with government intervention regarding that issue.

The reason for such a "knee jerk reaction" to the patriot act (which, by the way, Obama is enjoying full use of), is its possible nowaday to kill millions in one incident. Don't doubt that this is their intent.

And lastly, its easy to talk like that when you dont have family members killed in such incidents. Knee jerk indeed.

mustang04
12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
for those of you callin male attendants fags....i actually have thought about becoming one and ill just say this, good luck to all the guys on my flights trying to join the mile high club with the ladies, they'll already be preoccupied:D

BwdLion73
12-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
for those of you callin male attendants fags....i actually have thought about becoming one and ill just say this, good luck to all the guys on my flights trying to join the mile high club with the ladies, they'll already be preoccupied:D

Hurry Doc......:)