PDA

View Full Version : The New Philosophy of Winning (NFL & Pro Sports)

Bullaholic
12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Many of you have seen me post that I think the Dallas Cowboys have too many highly-paid players who take "weeks" or downs" off and that is the main reason for their inconsistentcy.
I'll extend that theory and apply it to modern pro sports in general.
Due to the way contracts are structured and paid, injury clauses, and player's unions, I think many players on many good teams have adopted a policy of playing just hard enough to win when it counts and "coasting" some of the time when it doesn't. Some supporting arguments are examing the play of teams like the Lakers and Yankees--they don't set the woods on fire during the regular season, but seem to play at another level come playoff time. I think some NFL teams have embraced this philosophy and win big during the regular season only when it is realtively easy to do so, and then pull out the stops only when it really matters. I think coaches and owners would rather that this mindset did not exist with some of their players, but I think the evidence supports that this attitude is embraced by many players.

IMO,Unfortunately, the days of "Get one for the Gipper" and teams being fired up for more that 1 week at a time are long gone and the philosophy of "what's in it for me?" or "what have you done for me lately?" rule in modern pro sports.

bobcat4life
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree completely. Almost all players are in it for the money and theirselves.

As for the playoffs, teams will play harder because the games mean more and its win or go home

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Many of you have seen me post that I think the Dallas Cowboys have too many highly-paid players who take "weeks" or downs" off and that is the main reason for their inconsistentcy.
I'll extend that theory and apply it to modern pro sports in general.
Due to the way contracts are structured and paid, injury clauses, and player's unions, I think many players on many good teams have adopted a policy of playing just hard enough to win when it counts and "coasting" some of the time when it doesn't. Some supporting arguments are examing the play of teams like the Lakers and Yankees--they don't set the woods on fire during the regular season, but seem to play at another level come playoff time. I think some NFL teams have embraced this philosophy and win big during the regular season only when it is realtively easy to do so, and then pull out the stops only when it really matters. I think coaches and owners would rather that this mindset did not exist with some of their players, but I think the evidence supports that this attitude is embraced by many players.

IMO,Unfortunately, the days of "Get one for the Gipper" and teams being fired up for more that 1 week at a time are long gone and the philosophy of "what's in it for me?" or "what have you done for me lately?" rule in modern pro sports.

I dont think that is it at all..Look at what the Pats and Colts have done for the past 6-7 years..Won alot of games, and the Pats have got alot of players to take less money just for a shot at the ring.

The biggest difference IMO in today's sports world is the bad teams are just not that far from the good ones. Especially in the NFL where there is 10 teams a year who literally are 3 plays away from eithert being 10-6 or 7-9..When you have that many teams at the same level you will get what we have good games, but teams that appear to be inconsistent because they dont seem to be able replicate their performance week to week

Just look at the terrible Lions last year..0-16..but it is not like every game they lost was 35-0..They had legitimate chances in alot of those games. The talent levels are just not as seperated as they used to be

eagles_victory
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I agree completely. Almost all players are in it for the money and theirselves.

As for the playoffs, teams will play harder because the games mean more and its win or go home Most common misconception in sports IMO you are totally wrong.

Bullaholic
12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think that is it at all..Look at what the Pats and Colts have done for the past 6-7 years..Won alot of games, and the Pats have got alot of players to take less money just for a shot at the ring.

The biggest difference IMO in today's sports world is the bad teams are just not that far from the good ones. Especially in the NFL where there is 10 teams a year who literally are 3 plays away from eithert being 10-6 or 7-9..When you have that many teams at the same level you will get what we have good games, but teams that appear to be inconsistent because they dont seem to be able replicate their performance week to week

Just look at the terrible Lions last year..0-16..but it is not like every game they lost was 35-0..They had legitimate chances in alot of those games. The talent levels are just not as seperated as they used to be

What is your explanation for a supposedly more talented Cowboys team getting thumped 44-6 by the Eagles in last season's playoffs? No fair using--the Cowboys just had an "off" game...

My theory after watching the Eagles high five and butt heads with each other after every good play they made on Dallas is---the Eagles were revved up and took it to the Cowboys and they failed to fire back---again.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
What is your explanation for a supposedly more talented Cowboys team getting thumped 44-6 by the Eagles in last season's playoffs? No fair using--the Cowboys just had an "off" game...

My theory after watching the Eagles high five and butt heads with each other after every good play they made on Dallas is---the Eagles were revved up and took it to the Cowboys and they failed to fire back---again.

Alot of reasons why Dallas lost that game like they did..Some of it relates back to the old Chemistry and locker room issues..but alot imo was once Philly got rolling everything went there way. Dallas started fumbling the ball( 2 straight fumbles returned for LONG TDs by the Eagle D) and with the Philly crowd and atmosphere boiling over the rout was on.

headhunter
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I have to dissagree with you bull on this one.

I do agree that the players attitude may be more for themselves, than back in the day, but I don't think they just coast through some of the season.

There is absolutly no comparison between the NFL, MLB and the NBA. Lets sit back and realize how different all three sports are.

You are right about the fact that teams tend to turn it on at different points in the season especially in the playoffs but I don't think this is their stategy, philosophy, nor is this the mindset.

Let's look at it this way - NFL players are not going to convince one another they need to just play good enough to win. Every player out their want to have a big game, they all want to be the "Player of the Game" 11 guys on offense have to go hard, yes, some players take downs off, some tend to be distractions but for the most part CB no they can not get burned repeatedly, QB know they have to make the right reads and WR need TD passes and yars to boost their value.

On the MLB and NBA side - one player can dominate a game more than in the NFL. SOmetimes a kid just has a heck of a night. A pitcher on the mound is going out their everytime to impress and boost his value. Same with the hitters.

crabman
12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I actually agree with this theory in one very specific example. I have always thought that the Spurs played the regular season very hard and had a very good regular season record relative to their competition. When the playoffs start and everyone else cranks it up then things equal out.

I attribute this, first and foremost, to their coach. Greg Popovich will not tolerate lackluster play. The players at the top of the totem pole will not either. You don't see Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker taking a play or two off. They go all out. That is why I like seeing them play the regular season. One of the few teams worth watching night in and night out.

Once the playoffs start and the other teams start really playing hard the weaknesses of the Spurs are exposed and they look like an average team.

Just my opinion.

Bullaholic
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by crabman
I actually agree with this theory in one very specific example. I have always thought that the Spurs played the regular season very hard and had a very good regular season record relative to their competition. When the playoffs start and everyone else cranks it up then things equal out.

I attribute this, first and foremost, to their coach. Greg Popovich will not tolerate lackluster play. The players at the top of the totem pole will not either. You don't see Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker taking a play or two off. They go all out. That is why I like seeing them play the regular season. One of the few teams worth watching night in and night out.

Once the playoffs start and the other teams start really playing hard the weaknesses of the Spurs are exposed and they look like an average team.

Just my opinion.

And as long as you agree 100% with me, you can have an opinion on this thread, crabman......:D :D :D