PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas and it's priorities

ivchris
12-24-2009, 03:21 PM
There was a thread a while back about Mack Brown's salary. Take a look at this.

Priorities (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AvgQeI.NYLLBtrfDjY1pRHkcvrYF?slug=ys-forbescollegevalue122309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Z-RO
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I dont see what the big deal was...you have to spend money to make it. Considering how much they bring in I dont see how anybody could complain:confused:

Keith7
12-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I dont see what the big deal was...you have to spend money to make it. Considering how much they bring in I dont see how anybody could complain:confused:

because they are making this money and not paying their teachers, instead they just put it back in athletics and pay an overrated coach of an overrated team

Z-RO
12-24-2009, 05:31 PM
a coach that is helping bring in the majority of the money...are the teachers paying the majority of the bills around there?

Keith7
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
a coach that is helping bring in the majority of the money...are the teachers paying the majority of the bills around there?

I think you just proved my point. It's supposed to be a university not a football team. It's main goal should be teach students and prepare them for life after college not make sure it has a good football team

LH Panther Mom
12-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think you just proved my point. It's supposed to be a university not a football team. It's main goal should be teach students and prepare them for life after college not make sure it has a good football team
How much revenue does football generate for the professors, other athletic teams and academics in general at UNT?

Keith7
12-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How much revenue does football generate for the professors, other athletic teams and academics in general at UNT?

Probably very little but we also have one of the lowest paid head coaches in the country too.

Gobbler Fan
12-24-2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/22/most-vaulable-college-football-teams-business-sports-college-football_slide_2.html
1-Texas
2-Notre Dame
3-PSU
4-Nebraska
5-Alabama
6-UF
7-LSU
8-Ohio State
9-UGA
10-OU
11-Michigan
12-South Carolina
13-Tennessee
14-Auburn
15-USC

1. Texas Longhorns

Team Value: $119 million

Profit: $59 million

Head Coach: Mack Brown

Conference: Big 12

Previous Value Rank: 2

Austin, Texas, Metro Population: 1,652,602

University of Texas licensed merchandise has outsold all other academic institutions for four consecutive years.

Z-RO
12-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Probably very little but we also have one of the lowest paid head coaches in the country too.

And what has Todd Dodge done for UNT compared to what Mack Brown has done for Texas? Mack Brown is their cash cow and they should take care of him...which they are. Texas is a learning institution, but the revenue brought in by Brown and the football program alone can not be ignored.

Keith7
12-24-2009, 07:35 PM
And what has Todd Dodge done for UNT compared to what Mack Brown has done for Texas? Mack Brown is their cash cow and they should take care of him...which they are. Texas is a learning institution, but the revenue brought in by Brown and the football program alone can not be ignored.

I don't know Mack Brown is the cash cow as much as the program itself it is. You could put any coach in his place and they would still make that money, it has nothing to do with what he has done

Pick6
12-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't know Mack Brown is the cash cow as much as the program itself it is. You could put any coach in his place and they would still make that money, it has nothing to do with what he has done

I see you haven't gotten any smarter since you've been gone.

Z-RO
12-24-2009, 08:18 PM

Go look up and see what the program as a whole was doing before Mack arrived. FYI its not even close

wimbo_pro
12-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Keith...you are bordering on being totally ridiculous. It has nothing to do with what he has done?? Really??? So, you think the money would still be there at this level if they had losing seasons?? Are you serious? I think you need to step back and actually read what you have said.

Apparently you are of the opinion that any university that has a sports program is a waste of money. OK...fine, that a valid argument. But to use UT's program as an example of whats wrong is not helping your argument...it is a shining example of why you DO want to fund such a program...and to make it a winning program.

NateDawg39
12-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know Mack Brown is the cash cow as much as the program itself it is. You could put any coach in his place and they would still make that money, it has nothing to do with what he has done Ok, that is probably the funniest thing you have said to this point. I highly doubt you could put a Jim Dorzin in there, and have the same results....oh you haven't heard of him I bet. Well that is because he is probably one of the worst coaches to ever coach football at the level of college. Instead of bashing on UT like you do, look up some other schools and what the ratio of payment is for the teachers and coaches. You will probably be shocked and appalled by what you find Keith.

bandera7
12-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I find it crazy that UT passed up Notre Dame...thats impressive.

Cotton
12-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Keith, it is hard to reason with someone that lets his heart cloud his logic. Nevertheless, here we go: you claim that any coach could do what Mack has done, yet no one has before. Darrell Royal was probably one of the greatest, if not the greatest coaches ever, BUT he didn't have Texas raking in the money that Mack has.

Todd Dodge is one of the lowest paid coaches in D1, BUT, he is paid a higher percentage of what the program earns than Mack Brown. Therefore, it is obvious that THE University of Texas cares more about academics than it's little sister in Denton and it is more successful in athletics.

Mack Brown's job is to run a successful football program. He does a dang good job. Free market principles allow him to make lots of money. If any professor has a problem with that, than they should grab a whistle and get to coaching. There aren't any professors at UT hurting financially, nor are there any academic areas in danger of being under funded. The University has received money that went directly to academics from the success on the gridiron. Continued succes will ensure more money comes in to academics. There are some very rich alumni that contribute to Texas' athletics, and almost every one of them have made significant contributions to the academics.

Bottom line: you're jealous of Texas success and this is the only thing you have to attack presently. Too bad, because the success Texas has on the field doesn't appear to be diminishing any time soon. Plus, Mack will probably eventually make more per year than he does now. Which is the great thing about living in a capitalist society. Maybe if you hurry, you can catch cuba or north korea before communism completely dies.

Keith7
12-25-2009, 12:45 PM
the texas football program makes its money all because of one thing. It's naming rights. If they were named texas a&i or Central Texas, they wouldn't get half of the merchandise revenue they get. Instead every hillbilly and redneck in the state goes down to walmart and buys him a texas longhorn hat because by golly, he's from texas and he's proud of it. unless mack was the one who called dibs on the name of the university, I really doubt the team's monetary success (at least in regards to merchandise sales) has much to do with him

Keith7
12-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Cotton
Therefore, you retarded crybaby

Man I would have the whole board on me and I'd be permanently rommed if I said this, feel lucky you get to play by a different set of rules

TheDOCTORdre
12-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Man I would have the whole board on me and I'd be permanently rommed if I said this, feel lucky you get to play by a different set of rules

its ok Keith, I will refrain from calling you names because I agree its no fun playing on an uneven field, remember if you call me a name I wont report you buddy, have a Merry Christmas

Z-RO
12-25-2009, 01:11 PM
the texas football program makes its money all because of one thing. It's naming rights. If they were named texas a&i or Central Texas, they wouldn't get half of the merchandise revenue they get. Instead every hillbilly and redneck in the state goes down to walmart and buys him a texas longhorn hat because by golly, he's from texas and he's proud of it. unless mack was the one who called dibs on the name of the university, I really doubt the team's monetary success (at least in regards to merchandise sales) has much to do with him

So why doesnt TEXAS a&m or TEXAS Tech have the same success? Im sure all of that money made is from hillbillys who shop at walmart and have nothing to do with places like this

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs051.snc3/13839_1312317885172_1147398762_30960414_6023827_n. jpg

BullsFan
12-25-2009, 01:16 PM

The reason "every hillbilly and redneck in the state" buys Texas merchandise is because Texas has a winning program. The reason Texas has a winning program is due in huge part to Mack Brown. If UT had the same history of non-winning that UNT had, then UT merchandise would sit on the shelves. Or, and this is more likely, it would never be created at all. And I say that as a very proud UNT alum. And the reverse is also true--if UNT or A&M or any other school in the state (or the country) had the winning tradition, bowl history, and prospect of two National Champtionships within 4 years, I guarantee you they'd be raking in big bucks in merchandising as well. America loves a winner, and Texas does even more so--we're a fairly competitive bunch. Winning = $$$, and Texas doesn't win so much if Mack Brown never comes along. It's worth $$ to bring in $$$$$.

wimbo_pro
12-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Keith...if you were to look at the revenues brought in under Mack Brown, you would see it has risen with the success of the team over the last many years. There IS a correlation between winning and popularity. It's human nature. Notre Dame always remains high because of a long history of winning. They havent done so well lately, and sure enough, Texas has over taken them.

And I won't call you an idiot...there are many who believe that the money isnt worth it, that the money really doesnt filter to the other students. I say it clearly does, but its an argument thats been around a long time. I also think there is no question that winning = revenue. It's just natural.

gobble_up03
12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
http://blogs.utexas.edu/towertalk/2009/12/23/a-self-sustaining-athletics-program/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Z-RO
12-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by gobble_up03
http://blogs.utexas.edu/towertalk/2009/12/23/a-self-sustaining-athletics-program/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

:clap:

Im sure Keith will find some way to put his foot in his mouth though

STANG RED
12-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I've never thought Mack Brown was a great coach, and certainly not one of the best. However, he is great at surrounding himself with people who are great at what they do, and they seem to be very loyal to him, which tells me he is doing lots of things right. And since he is the head of the department that is considered to be the best in the country, he should be well compensated for it. I'd bet if you looked at any companies in America that are as profitable as Mack Browns athletic department, their CEOs are making just as much, if not far more than what Mack Brown's salary is. Obviously UT is much better off now than they were before Mack came along. And their smart enough to realize they better make sure to take good care of such a valuable asset. It's just good business. Anyone with half a brain and just a tad of good business sense would recognize it.

injuredinmelee
12-25-2009, 08:43 PM
because they are making this money and not paying their teachers, instead they just put it back in athletics and pay an overrated coach of an overrated team

why should the athletic program give any of the money to the professors? No one is paying to watch some jerk off do a science experiment.

ivchris
12-25-2009, 09:11 PM

I think UNT needs to put more into it's academic department after that comment.

squid
12-26-2009, 07:15 AM
why do you guys keep feeding this troll? keith is just here to stir you guys up and start arguements.....

JasperDog94
12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by squid
why do you guys keep feeding this troll? "feeding (the) troll"...nice.:clap: :clap:

Trashman
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Keith7 probably has a "Mac Brown for President" t-shirt in his closet. LOL

Snydertigersrul
12-26-2009, 02:36 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tired ole Bobcat
12-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I have no dog in this hunt, but I have a question. How does Brown take care of his atheletes in his football program? What percentage of this years team will graduate with a degree and what percentage will just drop out after the season is over? What are the percentages of years past?

Keith7
12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Tired ole Bobcat
I have no dog in this hunt, but I have a question. How does Brown take care of his atheletes in his football program? What percentage of this years team will graduate with a degree and what percentage will just drop out after the season is over? What are the percentages of years past?

the uoft's football graduation rate is horrible and has been one of the worst in the country since brown has been there. Brown doesn't care about academics or how his kids end up. he just wants w's on his resume and money in his wallet, and sadly, uoft officials feel the same way. pathetic as usual for that "college" in austin

wimbo_pro
12-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I think Keith got turned down when applying to a certain "college".

Keith7
12-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I think Keith got turned down when applying to a certain "college".

I wouldn't want to go to school there even if they offered me a free ride. That "college" and the town it's in are crap holes.

Pick6
12-26-2009, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't want to go to school there even if they offered me a free ride. That "college" and the town it's in are crap holes.

Says the little boy who attended school in Denton,Tx. What the heck does Denton,Tx have to offer? Move UNT to Oklahoma and both states IQ increases.

mchavez
12-26-2009, 09:39 PM
ha ha this crap hole is growing everyday with people from all over the country. Austin/Round Rock area has been in the top 20 in best places to live, best housing market, fastest growing cities according to Forbes.

mchavez
12-26-2009, 09:50 PM
BTW, back to the topic. The same people that are donating their money to the athletic dept which is paying for Brown's raise are the same people that donate a lot to academics. Some buildings are even named after them on campus. The McCombs, Myers, etc...

Keith7
12-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
little boy

Name calling again. I can't say anything back to you about that, I'm held to a different set of rules than other posters but I would like to know what college you went to? I'm not saying this because you have to go to uoft to be their fan but if you're going to diss the college I went to school to, spent my time and money to earn a degree at and wouldn't change it for anything, I want to be able to diss your school. It has to be a great college if you're willing to belittle a great college like UNT.

wildstangs
12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't feed the troll and he won't come around anymore.

wimbo_pro
12-26-2009, 11:39 PM
UNT is a quality school.

westcoast54
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Since UT's football program brings in all this money and they can afford to pay their Head Coach 5 million, I wish they would lower their tuition. My daughter just got accepted there and it's gong to take about 5 years of salary to send her there. Of course it will be paid out over 20!:D

skins4life
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Since UT's football program brings in all this money and they can afford to pay their Head Coach 5 million, I wish they would lower their tuition. My daughter just got accepted there and it's gong to take about 5 years of salary to send her there. Of course it will be paid out over 20!:D

Man, that sucks!! My son is going to TTech. He did so well on his ACT, it's only going to cost me about 1/3 of a years salary for him to get his MASTERS on the 5 year program.:D

TheDOCTORdre
12-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I was here just in case this thread got closed

NateDawg39
12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I wonder if Keith has a job :thinking: :thinking:

captain d
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
This is a goofy thread. I played at Texas as well as my brother. It is and always will be the top university in Texas and top 5 in the nation. DeLoss does a great job as well as Coach Brown. It is one of the most high pressured positions in the state because football means so much to all of us. Everything revolved around saturdays when I went there. Right or wrong he deserves every penny he gets!

NateDawg39
12-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by captain d
This is a goofy thread. I played at Texas as well as my brother. It is and always will be the top university in Texas and top 5 in the nation. DeLoss does a great job as well as Coach Brown. It is one of the most high pressured positions in the state because football means so much to all of us. Everything revolved around saturdays when I went there. Right or wrong he deserves every penny he gets!
Welcome to the world of Keith...useless threads ;)

Cotton
12-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Well moron, using your logic, all of the hillbillies and rednecks have suddenly started buying more Texas gear since Brown has shown up. Whatever you have to tell yourself to feel better though.

LE Dad
12-28-2009, 12:58 PM
LOL!! Keith has done it again:doh:

:D