PDA

View Full Version : Big Games in District

Eagle 00
06-11-2002, 12:49 AM
What are some of the biggest games in each of your Districts.

BellvilleDude
06-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Sealy thats enough said there, biggest rival and are district now, will be last game of the regular season

toby070
06-11-2002, 08:09 AM
Burnet vs. Bandera should be a very good game, not much doubt in my mind that will be for a district title.

kaorder1999
06-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Forney vs. Crandall.....a rivaly renewed after they didnt play last year for the first time in like 50 years.

QBKilla
06-11-2002, 08:58 AM
In 22-3AAA it would have to be Barbers Hill and Liberty. Since Hamshire Fannett got moved out anyways.

yoefan2002
06-11-2002, 09:04 AM
cameron vs rockdale is one of the biggest rivals in the state battle of the bell

RBARKER
06-11-2002, 09:07 AM
Barbers Hill VS Splendora. Both of these teams were district champs last year in their own districts, this year they combine into district 22-3A. Last year BH went 10-0 in the regular season while Splendora only lost 1 game to go 8-1. This should be a good match up.

eye of the tiger
06-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Now that Commerce and Forney are in different districts again(and I am not to upset with that at all)I think our biggest game will be with Paris North Lamar. North Lamar is dropping down from 4A. We have played them several times in non-district games and did well, but I think they are a much better team now.

oldbuff78
06-11-2002, 10:38 AM
The longest running high school game on the books is Giddings vs LaGrange. Quoted by the Houston and Austin papers. I also saw article on Newcastle and Graham a few years ago.

rwhite
06-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by BellvilleDude:
Sealy thats enough said there, biggest rival and are district now, will be last game of the regular season

Yes, the Bellville Sealy game at the end of the season will most likely become the district championship game and quit possibly be two 9-0 teams going at it.....but that would be hard to do for Bellville this year.

Matthew328
06-11-2002, 12:28 PM
I think in 8-3A Everman and Kennedale will be big...the t2 towns are about 5 miles apart and haven't played in at least 25 years...Everman is the defending D1 state champ and Kennedale lost in the Region 1 D2 Final...both teams return a lot of players...throw in the fact that Kennedale's coach Richard Barrett was an asst at Everman in the mid 90's and Kennedale asst James Polk was Everman's QB for 3 years from 1994-1996 and it makes things quite interesting..

evebulldog01
06-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Hey Matt at least you haven't forgoten where you came from I couldn't believe James accepted that position at Kennedale! Oh well I watched them play against Glen rose in the first round I think our JV could have beat both teams. But what do I know I've only been filming all of our squads for the past four years going up against some of the best teams in the state.

True94
06-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Manor against Elgin is a huge rivalry. Since the towns are like minutes apart its great. The players always get up for that game no matter the records

tk1
06-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Yes with Manor and Elgin you know your going to get a bonus.Near the end you would of thought you was at WWF.

pero chato
06-11-2002, 04:40 PM
The Ballinger/Wylie matchup should be a good one this year. Last year it determined District champs.

toby070
06-11-2002, 05:27 PM
growth suks...Medina Valley was much more fun as a 3A team...almost everyone in their area was a grudge match. My favorite rivalry was with Floresville, just brutal, but MV/Devine may have been even more heated. Throw in Medina Valley vs. Hondo and Randolph...the teams in that old district really got after each other.

True94
06-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Tk1 are you a player for elgin?

therealbulldogs
06-11-2002, 09:31 PM
I don't think that it could get much better than Bandera vs. Hondo though. 90% of the hispanics in Bandera are from Hondo so it has always made a good game. They play against each other in the last game before district.

Originally posted by toby070:
growth suks...Medina Valley was much more fun as a 3A team...almost everyone in their area was a grudge match. My favorite rivalry was with Floresville, just brutal, but MV/Devine may have been even more heated. Throw in Medina Valley vs. Hondo and Randolph...the teams in that old district really got after each other.

sinfan75
06-12-2002, 05:08 AM
Sinton vs. Mathis.

duckbutter
06-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Jasper vs. Newton will be a WAR!! Only 12 miles apart and lots of bad blood.

Eagle 00
06-12-2002, 11:47 AM
Heard that Snyder vs Sweetwater will be a good one also

toby070
06-12-2002, 01:23 PM
therealbulldogs,

All those rivalries have some bite in that area, don't they!

VWG
06-12-2002, 09:51 PM
I would say there are several in Region I.
Breckenridge vs. Graham, been playing since the 20's or 30's. Always play each other every year and have been in and out of the same district since the 80's.
Vernon vs. Iowa Park, Good battle between old rivals.
Vernon vs. Graham, Vernon dominated this since the 70's, but the last 5-6 years it has been very close and heated battles.
Bridgeport vs. Decatur, battle of Wise County.
I know that Denver City, Brownfield, and Seminole have to "get it on" every year due to their close proximity to each other.
Merkel vs. Clyde- Not many people have heard of these two towns, but they have had some close games and play each other regularly every year.

FBFAN
06-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Merkel and Clyde are not in the same District anymore, but if they were you are right about a good rivalry.

footballgal
06-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Port Isabel against anyone in District 32AAA - most hated team in the dist. (well, even the whole RGV area) Because of their unmatched past success and with recent pairity in the district. Everyone plays PI as a one game season even teams in higher classifications.

therealbulldogs
06-13-2002, 11:45 PM
BIG TIME!

Old Cardinal
06-16-2002, 08:20 PM
I agree with Duckbutter, Jasper and Newton will the the premier District game on the coast this year. That's where the College Scouts will be camping out, looking closely at a number of big swift players.

j_dog
06-16-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter:
Jasper vs. Newton will be a WAR!! Only 12 miles apart and lots of bad blood.

------
What bad blood? I like Newton. Hope you guys go all the way, with only one loss on your record!

Bulldog92
06-17-2002, 02:09 PM
I agree with j_dog. Jasper and Newton are friendly rivals...always have been. Will that change now? Maybe, but I think Newton will eventually have to drop to 2A and it will be a moot point. I tell you what, though...if Barbay ever left Newton, I'd hire him in a second to coach the Dogs. He has as solid a reputation as any coach around there.

duckbutter
06-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Barbay is one hell of a coach and an offensive guru. I don't think we have to worry about him ever leaving Newton, short of retiring, and if he did there would be a riot. Johnston is a pretty darn good DC also.

celinaorange
06-24-2002, 12:24 AM
In District 10 you have three new teams moving from 2A--Celina, Pilot Point, and Van Alstyne...Van Alstyne went to finals in Division I and Celina wins Division II for 4th year in a row...but the big game will be in the second week of district play when Celina goes to Pilot Point...G. A. has hired Calhoun ( who coached at Sanger last year) who will bring his son who started at Sanger last year....the all-state qb from Valley View is also probably going to be at PP this season and most of the players who did not play last year for whatever reason are mostly all coming back...this will be a huge emotional contest especially if PP should win their first 6 games (which is very possible looking at their schedule). Should this occur the Celina PP game would be the game for the record of wins in the State of Texas currently held by Gordon Wood...If this game turns out to be for the record for GA he will use all of his magic tricks and mental games to motivate his team...BUT Celina will definitely show up and it is possible that the BobCats string of wins could still be going....should both of these teams come into this game undefeated....well, it should be very interesting to say the least...I am sure that this year will be a tremendous challenge for Celina...but we have had a great run and will continue to compete at the new level....thanks for your time...CELINAORANGE.

Atl_Rabb_Fan
06-24-2002, 09:19 AM
The Atlanta and Daingerfield will be a real good one for sure. This should decide the champion of the district.

eye of the tiger
06-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Atl_Rabb_Fan:
The Atlanta and Daingerfield will be a real good one for sure. This should decide the champion of the district.

Atl_Rabb_Fan I agree Atlanta v Daingerfield is going to be THE GAME in your district. Where is the game? It may come down to home field advantage.

eye of the tiger
06-24-2002, 10:51 AM
celinaorange welcome to the board and welcome to Celina to 3A. I believe you guys are now in district 9, not 10. It will be an interesting district to watch. You guys have had an incredible run. Good luck for continued success unless of course you play Commerce. Once again---Welcome

The_Great_One
06-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Sweeny vs Wharton should be a good one.

bd62
06-24-2002, 10:54 PM
cuero and yoakum is a big rivaly. the last several years it has either been for dist. title or playoff spot.both towns start talking about that game even better the season starts.

Bear-cat
06-26-2002, 10:04 AM
first of all, i cant believe that i am actually posting on a 3a board, thats kind of weird. but any of you that haven't witnessed a pilot point-celina game are missing one of the biggest rivalries in texas high school football (and that was before coach moore came back) but you might want to get there two hours early if you want a seat, at least that is the rule for bearcat fans when we play in celina. if you want even more proof, you can go here http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/highschools/football/stories/062602dnspoitchschools.bd8a2.html
we may be a couple of little peon 2a schools now lining up with county seat schools double our size, but i promise you this game will be like nothing you've seen. i have a buddy from college who i took to a pp-celina game and he drives from austin every year now just to go to it.

Eagle 00
06-27-2002, 12:39 AM
What is the date of that game?

celinaorange
06-27-2002, 12:49 AM
celina -- pilot point game will be october 18, at pilot point

Eagle 00
06-29-2002, 10:13 PM
Wylie Ballinger
This year the edge goes to Ballinger saw the Ballinger RB at a track meet last year. He will be even harder to stop this season then he was last year. He is good any his teammates will rally around him

[This message has been edited by Eagle 00 (edited June 29, 2002).]

whsfan
06-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Ballinger vs Wylie in 2001 - Two 9-0 teams battling it out for the district championship. The stadium was packed to point of overflowing and that's as good as it get's for Friday night football. Hell of job by both team.

As fans we can only hope that both teams can repeat the performance in 2002. Ballinger has Posey and whole host of Juniors that had good playing time as Sophmores. Wylie lost a lot of skill to graduation. But they do return more starters than normal and maybe they can find a way to reload. Who knows maybe we can see a repeat of last years game 10 again this year.

We have to wait and see who has the edge.

Originally posted by Eagle 00:
Wylie Ballinger
This year the edge goes to Ballinger saw the Ballinger RB at a track meet last year. He will be even harder to stop this season then he was last year. He is good any his teammates will rally around him

[This message has been edited by Eagle 00 (edited June 29, 2002).]

PPBEARCAT
06-30-2002, 04:13 PM
District 9-Pilot Point and Celina, Pilot Point and Gainesville, Celina and Gainesville, Gainesville and Pottsboro.

Eagle 00
06-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Does Wylie and Ballinger play game 10 again. It will be a good game regardles.

Goat70
06-30-2002, 11:35 PM
The biggest rivalry is the battle of the River etween Groesbeck and Mexia. These two have been going at it ever since these schools started a football program and it just keeps getting better evrey year this one should be a real treat to watch.

vet93
07-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Wylie and Ballinger do play the last game of the season. I am not sure where this year's game is though.

Originally posted by Eagle 00:
Does Wylie and Ballinger play game 10 again. It will be a good game regardles.

Eagle 00
07-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Wylie Ballinger will be another great game it should be for the District Championship just like last year?

Chris Hart
07-01-2002, 03:30 PM
Burnet vs. Bandera will be huge

bigcat8
07-02-2002, 12:02 PM
wasn't that bad. Coaching staff broke it up quick. Same guy from Manor started 2 altercations that night...
Originally posted by tk1:
Yes with Manor and Elgin you know your going to get a bonus.Near the end you would of thought you was at WWF.

spiderman
07-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Yes, Wylie and Ballinger play the last game against each other again. This year's game will be in Ballinger once again. It will be interesting. I think Wylie will come out on top.

Originally posted by vet93:
Wylie and Ballinger do play the last game of the season. I am not sure where this year's game is though.

vet93
07-02-2002, 01:30 PM
I understand your picing Wylie over Ballinger. Wylie has two things that Ballinger has a tough time overcoming. First, they have depth. Coach Sandifer gets alot of kids to comptete in a school that has a good-sized enrollment. Two, they have speed. Last years game was a good example. Ballinger pretty much held their own except for several huge plays in which Wylie utilized their speed in the open field (trick play with lampert, kicking game with Felts Etc...) Coach Sandifer did a great job of coaching that game. He knew that Ballinger would be wound up so he utilized plays that emphasized misdirection getting his speed guys into the open field. It worked well. Having said all of that, I would not completely count Ballinger out. They return Posey who is plenty stout. The question will be can they develop a quarterback who can take the heat off of Posey and can they find a couple of excellent linemen to replace the ones they lost. If they answer those questions in a positive manner, Ballinger could be more competitve than some may think.

Originally posted by spiderman:
Yes, Wylie and Ballinger play the last game against each other again. This year's game will be in Ballinger once again. It will be interesting. I think Wylie will come out on top.