PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest Quarterback of all time?

coach
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Greatest QB?

coach
12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
write ins are welcome

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:19 PM
No Roger Staubach?? My god....

STANG RED
12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Roger Staubach is above being a write in candidate, so I refuse to participate. Any list of the greatest NFL QBs that do not include Roger, makes the list a joke. :mad:

coach
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Roger Staubach is above being a write in candidate, so I refuse to participate. Any list of the greatest NFL QBs that do not include Roger, makes the list a joke. :mad:

im sorry guys i did this list in a hurry and i completely forgot...let me fix it hold on

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Exactly...remove Terry Bradshaw and insert Roger Staubach. No offense to Terry, its just there is no comparison between the two (and dont give me the number of rings...the Steel Curtain was the biggest reason for that).

coach
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Exactly...remove Terry Bradshaw and insert Roger Staubach. No offense to Terry, its just there is no comparison between the two (and dont give me the number of rings...the Steel Curtain was the biggest reason for that).

im not going to remove terry bc you can consider him one of the best if you think rog is better then vote for him

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by coach
im not going to remove terry bc you can consider him one of the best if you think rog is better then vote for him

OK...I thought maybe there was a limit to the number of choices in the poll.

coach
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
OK...I thought maybe there was a limit to the number of choices in the poll.

no what im doing is having a poll of every position and then i will make a 3adownlow all time greatest team...today its the qbs then the rbs and so on and so on

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
no what im doing is having a poll of every position and then i will make a 3adownlow all time greatest team...today its the qbs then the rbs and so on and so on

Gotcha

You gonna leave off Tony Dorsett too? LOL

coach
12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Gotcha

lol and tom landry...i cant believe i did that i had a huge brain fart i guess

STANG RED
12-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Gotcha

That brings up an interesting couple of questions.

Tony Dorsett or Emmit Smith? :thinking: hard choice huh. Emmit by just a nose though. But both probably had the best OLs in football at their times to run behind.
and
Moose or Robert Newhouse? :thinking: think I'd take Newhouse because he was a better runner. But Moose was probably a better blocker.

:hijacktd: :devil: :D Sorry coach.

coach
12-23-2009, 06:43 PM
That brings up an interesting couple of questions.

Tony Dorsett or Emmit Smith? :thinking: hard choice huh. Emmit by just a nose though. But both probably had the best OLs in football at their times to run behind.
and
Moose or Robert Newhouse? :thinking: think I'd take Newhouse because he was a better runner. But Moose was probably a better blocker.

:hijacktd: :devil: :D Sorry coach.

hey hey hey save that for the rb and fb thread

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:48 PM
hey hey hey save that for the rb and fb thread

AND WHERE IS GARY HUGGENBOOM????

STANG RED
12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
AND WHERE IS GARY HUGGENBOOM????

LMAO........Probably in the same hole with Clint Longley.:D

The man did have one great half of an NFL game, and on Thanksgiving Day to boot. Put him on the list coach. :p

Old Tiger
12-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Montana and it isn't even close.

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Montana and it isn't even close.

I dunno Old Tiger...can you imagine Roger in a West Coast offense? I think it is indeed close. Very close, and amongst several of these choices too.

Gobbler Fan
12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Roger the Dodger is the man ... :2thumbsup

DUKE22
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Warren Moon at least needs to make the list. I think its Elway then Montana.

eagles_victory
12-23-2009, 07:25 PM
People underrate Tom Brady in these kind of discussions.

Old Tiger
12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
My top 5 all time

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Tom Brady
5. Roger Staubach

DUKE22
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
People underrate Tom Brady in these kind of discussions. Agreed I also think Marino is as well. Dude was the man he is for sure top five maybe three. Yeah he never won a superbowl but be honest would you take Jim Plunkett over him, and he won a couple.

CenTexSports
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Remember, Roger gave up several of his most productive years to military service. He wasn't a starter until he was 29 and he was voted the top college QB of the last century.

eagles_victory
12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Remember, Roger gave up several of his most productive years to military service. He wasn't a starter until he was 29 and he was voted the top college QB of the last century. I understand that but IMO you can't rank people on what could of been you have to rank them on what did happen.

Green Bling
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Staubach is my personal fav, but Manning makes very few mistakes. Still love the Cowboys more for what they were back in the Landry days than what they are today.

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Manning is still a works-in-progress. He just might blow away every stat in the book, depending on his health.

bandera7
12-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Manning. Easy for me. Used to be Montana until Manning did what he is doing still.

bandera7
12-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I have a feeling this whole result is gonna be pretty homer-ish. Roger is only in the conversation as the greatest QB ever by his fans.

injuredinmelee
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
i thin k i am going to throw up if anyone votes for aikman. his name should never be uttered in the same sentence with half of these guys.

bigwood33
12-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Coach, I know that you are just a pup but you left off several that would be on any valid "All Time" list for QB's.
I just looked at Peter Kings' all time NFL team (because I knew who he picked) and I agree with his all time best. It is Otto Graham of the Cleveland Browns. He played from 1946-55 and here is what King said about him "A quarterback should be measured -- most of all -- by winning. Graham quarterbacked his team to the championship game of his league 10 times in 10 years, winning seven titles. And he led the league in passing seven times in those 10 years."

Slingin' Sammy Baugh MUST also be in the conversation.

Trashman
12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
In the modern era it would have to be either Terry Bradshaw or John Elway, based on results. My heart says Rodger Staubach.

Additup
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Otto Graham...just because he wore #60 !!! My kinda QB.

wimbo_pro
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
How can we forget Dan Fouts? He put the meaning of "passing attack" in to real focus.

bigwood33
12-24-2009, 12:27 AM
How can we forget Dan Fouts? He put the meaning of "passing attack" in to real focus.
Fouts was a very good QB but help me remember, how many championship games did his teams play in?

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tom Brady is it, give him a few more years and a few more championships and we'll know for sure.

bandera7
12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tom Brady is it, give him a few more years and a few more championships and we'll know for sure.

I see the argument for him, but personally I dont even think he is the best of his time. I think Manning is better and, if Favre is in his time considering he has been playing forever, then Favre also.

TheDOCTORdre
12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
wheres Tim Tebow? this thread is invalid:devil: :D

DDBooger
12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
How can we forget Dan Fouts? He put the meaning of "passing attack" in to real focus. and "can't hold anything back"

wimbo_pro
12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Fouts was a very good QB but help me remember, how many championship games did his teams play in?

San Diego never had a defense worth a crap. If we are only going to consider championships, then this is an easy decision.

Eagle 1
12-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Roger the dodger. :clap:

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-24-2009, 11:07 AM
C'mon, no votes for Broadway Joe?

PhiI C
12-24-2009, 11:10 AM

I agree that Terry must be left there. I know he was fortunate with great talent around him like Montana but he was still a great qb. Even if he had went to a team of lesser talent he may not have had the rings but I think he would have done great.

Phil C
12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I had to vote for Broadway Joe even though I thought Roger was the best one. I just can't see him not getting at least one vote. His first five years with the Jets were fantastic and the team got better every year until they won the Super Bowl which was not only great for them but the NFL and helped get the merger that the former NFL was trying to avoid. After the Super Bowl the Jets had another year but then I don't know what happened but the talent went away and he and the Jets didn't do too good after that.

eagles_victory
12-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Brady gets 1 vote to Mannings 10 votes guys consider a little thing I like to call the playoffs.

Jason1725
12-24-2009, 11:49 AM

Exactly no comparison at all head to head Bradshaw was better in the biggest game of all.

Jason1725
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Tom Brady* was aided by cheating, what would Montana, Bradshaw, or anyone else on this list have done had they known what the defenses was doing?

TheDOCTORdre
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Brady gets 1 vote to Mannings 10 votes guys consider a little thing I like to call the playoffs.

You want to consider playoff, go for it, I want to consider the player instead. Manning blows Tom Brady out of the water by far, its not even close, in fact I have him as the greatest quarterback of all time and his resume isnt even complete yet. If you take out playoffs/championships and look at the player its Manning, there are to many other factors that go into winning playoff games and championships. Manning is the definition of field general, he commands not only he respect of his team but his opponents(see the Pats/Colts game of this year) I always knew Manning was gonna be amongst the greatest Qbs of all time and then this year he kind of solidified his position as greatest of all time, IMO. The Monday night game against the Dolphins was perhaps his greatest piece of work when the Dolphins controlled the clock and allowed Manning to only be on the field for 14:53, the lowest time of possesion for a winning team ever, and the Colts were limited to only 34 plays, yet Manning delivered with 303 yards, 2 TDs, and no INT and a victory, in a word greatness.

OldBison75
12-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Although one of my favorite QB's to ever watch was Unitas, I cannot vote for anyone except Staubach in this poll for several reasons.

He was out of competitive football for a few years between college and the pro game and that is hard for any athlete.

He came to a team that was being coached by one of the greatest to ever have that title and also one of the most conservative. A real challenge for a QB that made his reputation for being mobile to come into a structured system that did not ike scrambling QB's.

He suffered through being a backup and even a alternating starter for the early part of his career.

He became a starter and immediately was an impact player--engineering more comeback wins than any other QB in history.

He never gave up and never accepted failure. In all of his years, I can never remember him placing blame for a poor performance or a team loss on anyone but himself.

His record speaks for itself--HE WAS A WINNER.

He was also probably the finest example of a superstar that ever graced the sport. He was honorable, clean, humble, a fine human being.

If I could start a team with any athlete in his prime, Roger Staubach would be my top pick.

LH Panther Mom
12-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
C'mon, no votes for Broadway Joe?
Dude....he did panty hose commercials! Pretty hard to vote for that! :D

Keith7
12-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Donovan McNabb

garciap77
12-24-2009, 06:33 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/unitas.jpg

carter08
12-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Of course a Cowboy is winning.

>_____>

PhiI C
12-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by carter08

>_____>

Oh Course. :)

bandera7
12-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Like I said...the fact that we are in Texas on a board with so many Cowboys fans will tilt this completely unfairly toward Staubach. I think he was a spectacular QB, but not even in the conversation for best ever. Only in Texas is he. I have alot of respect for what he did and the way he did it, but I dont think he can compete with many of the other names on this list.

wimbo_pro
12-25-2009, 12:59 AM

>_____>

It's possible that the country would vote for Staubach too...sometimes you show your age on this board.

carter08
12-25-2009, 12:27 PM
It's possible that the country would vote for Staubach too...sometimes you show your age on this board.

Staubach put up good numbers, yes, but I'd rather have the following players starting for me if I was a coach.

Montana
Unitas
Tarkenton
Elway

I'll place Staubach fifth on that list, but the only reason he's winning on this board is because there is an abundance of Cowboy fans.

wimbo_pro
12-25-2009, 01:41 PM
because there is an abundance of Cowboy fans.

There is some truth to that...this is far from a scientific poll. However, I wouldnt doubt Staubach would be at the top or in the top 3 in a national poll.

Old Tiger
12-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/unitas.jpg I remember seeing a story about him when he broke his nose during a game and was bleeding pretty bad so he picked up a handful of dirt and stuffed it to stop the bleeding the proceeded to throw a touchdown pass on the next play.

Diocletian
12-25-2009, 02:03 PM
If I had one choice to pick from that list..to play one game while they were still in their prime...if my life depended on it.

I'll consider it this way. It would be Joe Montana

Dan Marino would recognize how important the game was and would choke.

Brett Farve might get excited and throw 5 picks.

Payton Manning would be too focused on barking nonsense at the Scrimmage line, and changing the plays I'd want him to run.

Tom Brady would be expecting me to provide him secret videos of the teams defense.

Troy Aikman would get knocked out.

Johnny Unitas would be too worried about how he is going to see open receivers in this new PC helmet he's having to wear.

Terry Bradshaw would be expecting me to provide him a steel curtain that could limit the score to under 20 points.

John Elway would be looking for Terrell Davis to hand the ball to.

Joe Namith would be too busy trying to get a cheerleader to go home with him.

Roger Staubach was a midshipman and after working with midshipmen myself, I haven't enough respect to count on them for anything.

wimbo_pro
12-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

Roger Staubach was a midshipman and after working with midshipmen myself, I haven't enough respect to count on them for anything.

Tell that to the thousands of midshipmen who have fought our enemies over the years.

ivchris
12-25-2009, 09:20 PM
right now I'd have to say Peyton Manning. He's a field general when he's in there. Watch old Terry Bradshaw films, and this coming from a True Blue Houston Oilers fan and you will see that Peyton controls his team, much the way Terry Bradshaw did his.

TheDOCTORdre
12-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

Payton Manning would be too focused on barking nonsense at the Scrimmage line, and changing the plays I'd want him to run.

that has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read, and its Peyton

LionFan72
12-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Take the panties of the QB's, Sammie Baugh is the greatest of all time.

bandera7
12-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Dre I agree 100%. Peytons game against the Dolphins was just amazing. He would be my #1 easy. After that its much harder, but I would put Montana next, Favre, Elway, and then Steve Young isnt on this poll but he is one of my top QBs.

Old Cardinal
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Sammie Baugh, tops them ALL?

Phantom Stang
12-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Sammie Baugh, tops them ALL?
In terms of a quarterback overshadowing his contemporaries, the answer is yes. Sammy Baugh DOES top them all.

GetRDoneStangs
12-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
In terms of a quarterback overshadowing his contemporaries, the answer is yes. Sammy Baugh DOES top them all.

Yepper and he was one of the the best punters of all time and a pretty decent d-back.

wimbo_pro
12-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Yepper and he was one of the the best punters of all time and a pretty decent d-back.

Exactly...many back then played far more than just one position...and played them well. How do you use that when comparing? You really cant, so you use contemporaries....