PDA

View Full Version : Bandera Bulletin Article

Crow22
09-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Quote from today's Bandera Bulletin:

"Fredericksburg ISD Superintendent Dr. Marc Williamson said the FISD paid the Alamodome $5,000 to use the facility. The Alamodome also gets to keep the proceeds from concessions and parking. Fans should be prepared to pay $6 for parking. The game was to be played in Bandera but FISD officials felt the local facility was too small for their band and fans. The FISD will provide chain crews and ticket takers and will get all ticket sales money. District passes will be honored."

We also tried to get Bandera to play in the Alamodome because the facility was too small but with it being their home opener after a state championship they didn't want to do that. I can totally understand that reasoning. I just hope the city of Bandera will look at this as a wake-up call to finally build something the town can be proud of......

The kids deserve it.

BULLDOGFAN
09-11-2003, 12:22 PM
It's in the works, I believe ground breaks this weekend.. The Ya Ya's will be breaking the wine (will be Kool-Aid) bottles for the opening.

TexDoc
09-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Having gone to school there I can tell you that not many of the people in that community, especially at the lake, would not go for a new stadium. It is really sad because that stadium has been awful for the past 30 years. Most junior highs have better stadiums. There's no telling how many times I wound up in the fence along the sidelines after a tackle.

txrangers
09-11-2003, 12:30 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Bandera YaYa
09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Yeah, we get to play in the Alamodome tonite... sure hope there is enough room for all us Banderians!!LOL Would still choose our quaint field over one so HUGE and impersonal...but I know the safety issue has to be addressed.

A YaYa got our State Championship banner hung back up in town..so if you make it this way again, it will be up. It had been taken down for some other functin in town and didn't get put back up in time. There is also a nice painted sign at the other end of town towards MEdina....so some of us do care!!

Anyway, your point has been made.

<small>[ September 11, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

therealbulldogs
09-11-2003, 11:20 PM
I graduated a couple of years ago from Bandera and I can say that I hated playing at home. I can't think of a time when we played in a worse stadium than our own. My little brother is in the seventh grade and he had his first scrimmage there last week and we sat on the home side in the sun while the visiting fans had a really nice shade. I never understood why they did that.

BULLDOGFAN
09-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Know what ya mean, kinda like playing away games your whole 7 - 8 - & 9 th grade years sitting in the sun.

txrangers
09-12-2003, 10:45 AM
What can y'all tell me about Fred.?

Any weakness?

Keep plugging it will get better.

Crow22
09-12-2003, 11:26 AM
It's funny how you say that their "breaking ground" this weekend on the new stadium but nobody else seems to even know anything about it. The new coach hasn't mentioned it, the newspaper hasn't mentioned it, and none of the people I know from there have mentioned it. I think you have your facts messed up. I'll believe a new stadium when I see it.

BULLDOGFAN
09-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Taken from the Bandera Bulletin:

BISD Groundbreakings Groundbreaking Ceremonies for the new construction at Bandera Middle School and Ban-dera High School will be held on Friday, Sept.12. The Middle School ceremony will begin at 9 a.m., followed by the High School ceremony at 11 a.m. Parents and commu-nity members are invited to attend! This ceremony will officially kick-off the major construction and renovation projects being undertaken at these two campuses as a result of the May 2002 Bond Election. The Bandera ISD invites everyone.

The new stadium is part of that package. And as you will learn Crow22, I rarely mess up my fact's!!!

Crow22
09-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Where in that quote does it say "stadium"??

It says middle school and high school. No mention of "stadium."

I would think that if a stadium was being built it would have been mentioned. No?

BULLDOGFAN
09-12-2003, 12:36 PM
This is off of the Bandera Independant School district website. This bond passed in May 2003.

Proposition Number 6
“The issuance of Bonds in the amount of $265,000 forconstruction, acquisition and equipment of school buildings(Covered Play Areas for Physical Education and Recreational Use at Elementary Schools and being and adjunct to Proposition Number 1) and the levying of thetax in payment thereof”

What is the total cost of all six propositions?
$37,915,000

Why do we need a new school building program?
Three of our campuses are deteriorating due to age.Our schools have significant problems involving plumbing,electrical systems, heating and air conditioning, androofs. All are in need of repair, upgrade, and replac ement.

What extracurricular facilities or programs are
we adding with Proposition 1?

High School: a new practice gym with expanded locker and shower facilities, coaches’ offices and weight room,expanded seating in the existing competition gym from500 to 1000,

building a new 3000-seat football stadium at the current practice field,

a new practice field, and renovating the band hall.

Middle School (new construction at the existing site):two gyms, practice fields, a new band hall and a middle new competition gym with seating for 1500 at the highschool. The current gym will revert to a practice gym.

TexDoc
09-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Where exactly are they building a new stadium? Are they just expanding the stadium at the high school? If so, won't the cliff on the far side be a bit of a problem? Or, are they going to put visitors and home fans on the same side?

BULLDOGFAN
09-12-2003, 01:14 PM
You guessed it. Stupidest place in the world to build it when you had the perfect site with the track. But it was all the old codgers would approve. I haven't seen the plans but they say it should be O'kay. Parking will be aweful.

TexDoc
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Parking? What parking? I graduated from there in 1981 and we almost had a full parking lot back then! They will have to park out to Hwy 16 and walk, and get someone killed!

This is an example of why I left and didn't ever want to move back to B-town. I loved that place in high school, but some of the people are just plain backwoods.

Backwoods
09-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey Doc: What's wrong with being Backwoods???

trojandad
09-12-2003, 02:40 PM
$37 mill? And we have one stop light? Scratch that, a blinking red light. And UIL has us competing straight up. Go figure?!?!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
09-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the concerns and tender sentiments regarding Bandera. I would imagine, however, that most any city, town or hole in the wall in Texas harbors a few "backwoods" folk. I mean, NB isn't exactly high society....walk from tube rental to tube rental and see what I mean....

Some improvements are going to happen here, my kids are out of here, but I still want good things for the schools...for the kids. If we get a new stadium (I'd rather improve the old one, but heck, I'm sentimental) great, but the kids first need a room to attend school in, and as fast as we are growing, that's the #1 thing to fix!