PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate Pass Interference in the NFL

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I posted the following thread up a couple years ago, and I would like to hear discussions on it again---hope you all will, also:

I've been watching pro football for almost 50 years and I think the NFL should seriously consider dropping pass interference as a penalty. The calls by the NFL officials are too inconsistent and have had a major bearing on too many games, especially playoffs. I think the players should be allowed to "play" the game. A defender should be able to knock a receiver off his route anytime, anywhere provided he doesn't "grab" him or hit him while he is defenseless (there are currently rules in place to cover these situations). A receiver should be allowed to separate from a defender by "pushing off" or knocking him down. Let the athletes play the game as it was intended and "fight for the ball" on every pass play. This is what seems to be actually occurring to some degree on just about every pass play anyway, officials could call PI on every play,so why not do away with the inconsistent subjectivity of PI calls altogether and not have entire team's seasons go down the drain because of a single PI call? At the very least, I would accept compromise if they would change the PI rule from "spot of the foul" to "spot of the foul" under 15 yds, and 15yd penalty over 15 yds. What do you say?

DDBooger
12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I posted the following thread up a couple years ago, and I would like to hear discussions on it again---hope you all will, also:

I've been watching pro football for almost 50 years and I think the NFL should seriously consider dropping pass interference as a penalty. The calls by the NFL officials are too inconsistent and have had a major bearing on too many games, especially playoffs. I think the players should be allowed to "play" the game. A defender should be able to knock a receiver off his route anytime, anywhere provided he doesn't "grab" him or hit him while he is defenseless (there are currently rules in place to cover these situations). A receiver should be allowed to separate from a defender by "pushing off" or knocking him down. Let the athletes play the game as it was intended and "fight for the ball" on every pass play. This is what seems to be actually occurring to some degree on just about every pass play anyway, officials could call PI on every play,so why not do away with the inconsistent subjectivity of PI calls altogether and not have entire team's seasons go down the drain because of a single PI call? At the very least, I would accept compromise if they would change the PI rule from "spot of the foul" to "spot of the foul" under 15 yds, and 15yd penalty over 15 yds. What do you say?
It was basically like that before the rules got more stringent. Some credit Bellichek's defenses against the Colts for it. They were always so physical with the Colt's receivers. Besides, it would kill offense production and unfortunately the league wants a show not 7-3 games, where the only td was scored on an int lol

Pendragon13
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Rule changes are almost always made to favor either an increase in scoring (to entertain the fans) or to reduce injuries. (aka lawsuits on the league) I agree that there is inconsistency with calls, but that is always going to be the case when humans are involved no matter what rules are in the book.

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I still maintain that a possible 50+ yard PI penalty is too game impactive and subjective in a playoff situation to be allowed. Whole seasons are altered as the result of such calls.

wimbo_pro
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM
If they remoe the PI calls, then they should remove the pick rule as well. THAT would open it up!!!

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
If you eliminate the contact rule then there would be no recievers to throw to. If I was a defensive coordinator then I would teach to knock them down as they come by or right off the line. On the PI they need to set limits as to what is and isnt and stick with it. And I agree with losing the spot of the foul penalty over 15 yards. I think it should be automatic first down. but only 15 yard penalty.
Eliminating PI would be like taking out the block foul in basketball. it would considerably reduce scoring in my opinion

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I still maintain that a possible 50+ yard PI penalty is too game impactive and subjective in a playoff situation to be allowed. Whole seasons are altered as the result of such calls.

yes but should the D be basically given a bail out because a burnt CB simply tackles the WR and only gets 15 yards added instead of the spot foul?

BILLYFRED0000
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
If you eliminate the contact rule then there would be no recievers to throw to. If I was a defensive coordinator then I would teach to knock them down as they come by or right off the line. On the PI they need to set limits as to what is and isnt and stick with it. And I agree with losing the spot of the foul penalty over 15 yards. I think it should be automatic first down. but only 15 yard penalty.
Eliminating PI would be like taking out the block foul in basketball. it would considerably reduce scoring in my opinion

I believe that a pass inteference call where the defender does not play the ball but the man is a valid call. And a spot foul. You penalize the offense if it is not a spot foul because who knows what some of these receivers would have done after the catch.
and the endzone interference call should remain the same. but I would allow bump and run contact down the field. I would not allow a defender to tackle or block a receiver out of the play. The Jam rule would apply the length of the field. you can bump but not grab or restrain. That would mean any contact where the defender was in the proper position would be allowed. Holding would still apply but should be a fifteen yard penalty just like for the offense. replay the down if a first down is not made.

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I believe that a pass inteference call where the defender does not play the ball but the man is a valid call. And a spot foul. You penalize the offense if it is not a spot foul because who knows what some of these receivers would have done after the catch.
and the endzone interference call should remain the same. but I would allow bump and run contact down the field. I would not allow a defender to tackle or block a receiver out of the play. The Jam rule would apply the length of the field. you can bump but not grab or restrain. That would mean any contact where the defender was in the proper position would be allowed. Holding would still apply but should be a fifteen yard penalty just like for the offense. replay the down if a first down is not made. I see your point, if the defender is obviously going for the reciever and not the ball, but its the defender who is going for the ball but gets the reciever a little early that bothers me. or the biggest problem is the defender who is holding his position to catch the ball and the reciever runs into him, and they call defensive PI thats crazy and gives them a first down right there after a great play by the defender

JJWalker
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
If you eliminate pass interference the smaller athletic players would probably become a thing of the past, with each team lining up Sumo sized receivers to smash their way to an actual reception.

Although it sounds like fun for a while, skinny black men like me and TO end up being nothing but mouth.

DYNOMITE!

wimbo_pro
12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker
If you eliminate pass interference the smaller athletic players would probably become a thing of the past, with each team lining up Sumo sized receivers to smash their way to an actual reception.

Although it sounds like fun for a while, skinny black men like me and TO end up being nothing but mouth.

DYNOMITE!

Not really...skinny, quick receivers would just dodge them and be wide open!

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Not really...skinny, quick receivers would just dodge them and be wide open!

Exactly, wimbo. The athletic ability of receivers could be used to the max to separate from defenders---and that would include pushing off or knocking down any defender. Defenders cannot knock down what they can't catch or get a straight shot at...

sahen
12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
If I was a defensive coordinator then I would teach to knock them down as they come by or right off the line.

pretty sure you can do this legally now as long as it is w/n 5 yards of the line of scrimmage...problem is the receivers are either too strong or athletic to have it done and if you miss then it is 6 points to a wide open guy...

Old Dog
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
It's getting so I don't like to watch pro football because of all the penalites that make the game drag on forever. Refs are ruining the game for me and lots of others who agree. College ball is not far behind either.

It's football, a contact sport, let them play dangit!!!!!!!!!!! Like Terry Bradshaw always wisecracks, " Put a skirt on em if they don't want to get hit".