PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Rivalry- All Sports

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
What is now considered the biggest rivalry event in all of sports?

squid
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Tiger vs. Elin's attorneys

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by squid
Tiger vs. Elin's attorneys

LOL, squid. I think that is going to be more of a "lynching" than a rivalry...:D

crzyjournalist03
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Right now, it's probably Yankees-Red Sox. They battle on the field 18 times a year, then they battle off the field all year going after the same players.

TheDOCTORdre
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I gotta go with Duke and North Carolina

BreckTxLonghorn
12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Right now, it's probably Yankees-Red Sox. They battle on the field 18 times a year, then they battle off the field all year going after the same players.

+1

rangerjoe33
12-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
+2, I don't know if any rivalry will catch this one anytime soon...

I still think back to Pedro and Zimmer...wow...

bobcat4life
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd say Texas-OU or Michigan-Ohio State

bandera7
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Im gonna have to agree Duke-UNC. Although Packers-Vikings would be up there, if the rivalry had been as serious to both as it was this year. But I think the distaste that Packers feel towards the Vikings is atleast equal if not better than anybody else.

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
+2, I don't know if any rivalry will catch this one anytime soon...

I still think back to Pedro and Zimmer...wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DU-JiyyP_M

rangerjoe33
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Im gonna have to agree Duke-UNC. Although Packers-Vikings would be up there, if the rivalry had been as serious to both as it was this year. But I think the distaste that Packers feel towards the Vikings is atleast equal if not better than anybody else.
The Yankees and Redsox rivalry goes way way back...intensity, hatred, history, and mainstream knowledge of the rivalry it has to be these guys.

However I would also throw out there that the Harvard/Yale rivalry is the oldest...

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Bad as we may not want to admit it--some of the world's biggest, oldest, and most intense sports rivalries are in World Cup Soccer.

JJWalker
12-22-2009, 01:57 PM
I agree, it is going to have to be in soccer, but might it be in boating or some obscure sport like that?

LE Dad
12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Bad as we may not want to admit it--some of the world's biggest, oldest, and most intense sports rivalries are in World Cup Soccer. For sure!! I wouldn't know who the rivals are; but when there is widespread rioting involved, only 2 reasons come to mind. Philly blew a another shot at a championship or a soccer game broke out.:rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Bad as we may not want to admit it--some of the world's biggest, oldest, and most intense sports rivalries are in World Cup Soccer.

Barca vs Real Madrid is HUGE

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Barca vs Real Madrid is HUGE

Well, I thought G$$ vs Txbroadcaster was right up there, myself. :D

rangerjoe33
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Columbia (South America in general) players vs their own fans is pretty bad...they are always killing each other....literally.

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I thought G$$ vs Txbroadcaster was right up there, myself. :D

LOL he never comes around anymore

TheDOCTORdre
12-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
The Yankees and Redsox rivalry goes way way back...intensity, hatred, history, and mainstream knowledge of the rivalry it has to be these guys.

Duke and UNC are separated by 8 miles of Tobacco Road, eight miles of hatred, history and mainstream knowledge that spreads across the nation

TheDOCTORdre
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
oh and let me throw this out there, Ali/Frazier is Top 5 rivalries of all ime for sure

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
LOL he never comes around anymore

He was here about two weeks ago although it was 5:30 am on a Sunday morning. This is what he left us...

Originally posted by g$$
Is that a joke? REALLY? Texas will get EVERY benefit of the doubt. Last year was an anomaly & their own fault because they lost to Tech plus the Big 12 tie-breaker rules. Media had NOTHING to do that one. And then the Big 12 refused to change their tie-breakers to be like other conferences to boot.

Flawed system & I wish TCU would get a shot because they are legit. I favor the +1 system of playoffs proposed. But Texas will be there vs. Bama. Bama sure looks to be the favorite on paper, great defense & adequate offense & very good special teams. That's why you play the game though.

Suh was best player on field & IMO all of college football all year. Gosh he is a hoss esp. in a 4-3 where you can move him around (3-tech, bump him out as well to rush passer, etc.). Texas could not block him w/ double team (4.5 sacks, 7 tfl, 11 or 12 tackles). Just a beast.

Later guys.

Link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1355143#post1355143)

3afan
12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I gotta go with Duke and North Carolina

maybe in the Carolinas, but no where else

all depends on where you are

in North Dakota the biggest ravalry is probably UND & NDSU

bandera7
12-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I totally forgot about soccer...and its right there with football as my favorite. I know, how could I? Arsenal-Man Utd is a heated one. As is Man Utd and Man City...the entire town of Manchester roots for Man City, but it seems like the rest of the world roots for Man Utd. then there is Rangers v Celtic, AC Milan vs Inter Milan...there is a huge list of teams that have people literally hating each other because of their affiliation with the other club.