PDA

View Full Version : Leopards Beat Burnet 35-24 to Claim State Title (article from www.goredsports.com)

MonkeyJoe
12-14-2003, 03:16 AM
The Gainesville Leopards are the Class 3A Division I state champions after defeating the Burnet Bulldogs 35-24 in front of 16,211 fans at Texas Stadium Saturday night.

The championship is is the first football title in the history of Gainesville High School. The Leopards also finished with a perfect 15-0 record for the first time ever.

Gainesville had to come from behind for the third-straight week to win, and they did it against the No. 1 ranked team in the state.

Burnet (14-1) scored on the opening kickoff as Jordan Shipley ran 87 yards to put the Bulldogs up 6-0. They missed the extra point.

Gainesville took their first lead later in the quarter as Terrius Purvey scored on a 5-yard run. Steven Arenas added the extra point kick to make it 7-6.

Burnet needed just two plays on offense as Stephen McGee hooked up with Shipley on a 50-yard pass for a TD. Their try for two was good and they led 14-7 with 53 seconds left in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Leopard defense got their first of two big turnovers as Darcel McBath stripped the ball from Shipley and Jeremy Franklin was there to fall on it.

The Leopards used 8 plays to go 43 yards and tie the game on a 1-yard run by Purvey.

Again, Burnet answered with a long 5-minute drive. They got 30 yards on a fake punt that set up a touchdown with 23 seconds left in the half to put them ahead 21-14.

But as has been the case the past 3 weeks, the Leopards came out and scored on their first possession of the third quarter. Purvey had runs of 17 and 20 yards before scoring on a 3-yard run to tie the score at 21.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs retook the lead on a 29 yard field goal by Shipley. That would be the last lead for Burnet.

Darcel McBath returned the ensuing kickoff out to the 48 yard line. Purvey ran 29 yards on first down to get the ball to the 13. Three plays later, quarterback Chris Brown snuck in from 2 yards to put the Leopards up 28-24 with 8:20 left in the game.

But it wasn't over, Burnet used 8 plays and almost 4 minutes to drive down to the Leopard 27. But on second and 10, McGee fumbled the snap and Clint Stoffels was there to fall on it for GHS.

The Leopards then sealed the victory on their next drive. After a holding penalty, Gainesville faced second and 19. Brown hit Amos Berryman on a 26 yard pass for a first down. On the next play, Brown ran 36 yards to the 16. Two plays later, Brown scored on a 15-yard run to make the score 35-24 with 1:37 left in the game.

Burnet drove into GHS territory, but the game ended on a sack by Stoffels and the Leopards started to celebrate.

Gainesville finished with 332 yards rushing including 232 from Purvey. Brown rushed for 77 and threw for 77 more.

For Burnet, they passed for 187 yards. Shipley caught 5 passes for 119 yards.

Leopards,class of 75
12-14-2003, 10:47 AM
WOW,WHAT A GAME THAT WAS!!! THE MOST EXCITING GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! WAY TO GO BIG RED, YOU ARE THE STATE 3-A DIV.1 CHAMPS OF TEXAS! BURNET WAS A VERY, VERY GOOD TEAM THAT WOULD NOT QUIT!!!! ACTION PACKED GAME TILL THE VERY END!!!!

olddog73
12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Congratulations Gainsville on a great win and a great season. You played an excelent game. You are true champions and from what I saw your fans showed nothing but class. You have my respect. Good luck to you all.

dawgdad
12-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Ditto, Gainseville- congratulations on your win. It was a great football game.

Keith7
12-14-2003, 01:57 PM
I didnt think we would ever stop yalls offense.. an amazing game by both teams

spaniard
12-14-2003, 03:36 PM
gainesville has my respect, both on the field and for the fans at the game. you guys have an awesome team, and though the loss stinks, you guys won it fair and square. congrats guys, and to burnet, great season!!

GreatBigBurnetFan
12-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Congratulations to a great Gainesville team and their fans. I was brokenhearted for the Bulldogs,
they worked so hard just as Gainesville did. The turnovers were crucial and hard to overcome. Terrius was truely a great back and worth his accolades.

I will miss seeing Jordan, Stephan, Ty, Ben, Bryan, Big Ed and all the rest of the hard working seniors. I'm sure the rest of the Bulldogs
will work hard and be back. Thanks to all the coaches for the efforts for the team and the community. It was a still a great season as the other two seasons have been for these seniors. You guys gave me a lot of joy and happiness. You don't often get to see our guys in the home of the Cowboys. They'll be back!
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan