PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about SA Lakeview & realignment

injuredinmelee
12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
from the San Angelo Times Sunday edition..Travel Nightmare (http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/dec/19/road-goes-on-forever/)

STANG RED
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Wow that is tough. Football will be bad enough, but nothing compared to other sports that play during the week.

When I was working in San Angelo about 10 years ago, there was a big push to build a new high school, to either have two 3As, and one 5A, or three 4A schools. But the voters in the Central High district voted it down. Not wanting their little Johnny's and Susie's going to school with too many minorities, that new district boundary lines would have done. Sad deal really. A new school probably could have almost been paid for by now, by savings in travel. Having three 4A's would solve lots of their problems for both Central and Lake View.
But the San Angelo ISD admin has been a mess for a long time, and it's a pretty sharply racially divided town, so I don’t see things getting better there anytime soon. So the kids will continue to suffer for it. Their probably used to it by now though.
:(

turbostud
12-21-2009, 09:52 AM
They could always petition to play up in a 5a district to avoid the travel times. Laredo and Corpus schools have done it in the past. CC Moody was a 4a school, playing up in a 5a district, and won the 5a state baseball title a few years ago.

bigwood33
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
They could always petition to play up in a 5a district to avoid the travel times. Laredo and Corpus schools have done it in the past. CC Moody was a 4a school, playing up in a 5a district, and won the 5a state baseball title a few years ago.
But San Angelo Central has been in with Amarillo for several years. Talk about a travel nightmare! That is a 300+ mile trip.

Matthew328
12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I have Lake View in a DFW district

BILLYFRED0000
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Wow that is tough. Football will be bad enough, but nothing compared to other sports that play during the week.

When I was working in San Angelo about 10 years ago, there was a big push to build a new high school, to either have two 3As, and one 5A, or three 4A schools. But the voters in the Central High district voted it down. Not wanting their little Johnny's and Susie's going to school with too many minorities, that new district boundary lines would have done. Sad deal really. A new school probably could have almost been paid for by now, by savings in travel. Having three 4A's would solve lots of their problems for both Central and Lake View.
But the San Angelo ISD admin has been a mess for a long time, and it's a pretty sharply racially divided town, so I don’t see things getting better there anytime soon. So the kids will continue to suffer for it. Their probably used to it by now though.
:(

Tell me about it. San Angelo is such a mess in many ways. I like San Angelo and would not mind living there but the school situation they find themselves in is brutal. I think they should have redrawn the lines to make a 3a 5a set up so Central could be bigger and Lake view drops down into 3a where they could compete a little and not travel as much. It would work as I do not see SA growing that much over the next few years and it would allow both schools to be more competitive.

STANG RED
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Tell me about it. San Angelo is such a mess in many ways. I like San Angelo and would not mind living there but the school situation they find themselves in is brutal. I think they should have redrawn the lines to make a 3a 5a set up so Central could be bigger and Lake view drops down into 3a where they could compete a little and not travel as much. It would work as I do not see SA growing that much over the next few years and it would allow both schools to be more competitive.

Central is already a huge school. And for reasons I stated earlier, those people don’t want kids coming in from Lake View. Any good solution down there, would require redrawing district lines, and mingling some of those kids together, but that’s something they have historically been unwilling to do. Something’s gotta give someday down there though. San Angelo has actually grown about 20,000 over the past 30 years, but its all been on the south side, and their content to just let the north side rot away. Sad situation down there. It could be a real cool town to live in, if those people would get their heads screwed on straight. I loved going to college there.

Maroon87
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Laredo and Corpus schools have done it in the past.

We've had 3 Laredo schools in our district the last 2 years.

turbostud
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I have Lake View in a DFW district

I think they would be better off in a DFW district or District 25 with Lampasas, Lake Travis, Pflugerville etc.

turbostud
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
We've had 3 Laredo schools in our district the last 2 years.

Yes but before that those 3 Laredo schools played in one district with Eagle Pass.

Maroon87
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes but before that those 3 Laredo schools played in one district with Eagle Pass.

Those 3 teams are terrible in football...

wildstangs
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
They need to balance out the numbers and have two 5A schools. Then they could play with the Abilene, Midland, Odessa, and Amarillo schools. Depending on how many Amarillo schools stay 5A, they could easily divide the district up into two seperate zones, north and south.

turbostud
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
They need to balance out the numbers and have two 5A schools. Then they could play with the Abilene, Midland, Odessa, and Amarillo schools. Depending on how many Amarillo schools stay 5A, they could easily divide the district up into two seperate zones, north and south.

They should balance out the numbers and put the Odessa's, Midland's, Abilene's, and San Angelo's in one district. That would be 8 teams and would keep the travel distance to a minimum. It used to be like that, minus Lakeview.

wildstangs
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
They should balance out the numbers and put the Odessa's, Midland's, Abilene's, and San Angelo's in one district. That would be 8 teams and would keep the travel distance to a minimum. It used to be like that, minus Lakeview.

Would be ideal, but what about the 5A schools in Amarillo? Who are they going to play? Portales and Clovis?

Matthew328
01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Talk about having to travel, how would you like to be San Angelo Lake View right now....not a 4A school within 150 miles of San Angelo....their options are going to the panhandle and facing mutiple trips to Amarillo and one to Dumas!!

They could go to Austin or San Antonio or DFW...gas the buses up

bobcat4life
01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
wasnt there a thread about this a few weeks ago?

Matthew328
01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
proabably but I couldn't find it LOL

Matthew328
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Ahhh I did the search for Lake View.....LOL

Rabid Cougar
01-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I thought they said that there was not another 4A within 150 miles? Abilene Wylie is under 100 miles distance!