PDA

View Full Version : I wish the U.I.L. would.....

88bobcats
12-21-2009, 03:12 AM
.....move to a 10-level classification system!

Let me first congratulate Gilmer and Carthage on their championship seasons. They both played great football this year.

That being said, Carthage's enrollment is listed as 794, and Gilmer's is listed as 701.

The "small-school" champion is bigger than the "large-school" champion!

I argue that the current DI/DII system is either a ruse or a joke. I know that opponents of my argument will point to Celina's success as an exception, but there's a consistent pattern of schools with enrollments below ~600 not making it past the early rounds of the play-offs, if they even make it out of district.

The top level of Class AAA has schools near 1000 students, with 430 being at the bottom. I believe the ~2:1 ratio is laughable. Even the coaching staffs at the bigger schools are larger.

I love the opportunities, but there aren't too many places other than Christian history (and Celina) where David actually beats Goliath.

I know there will also be a lot of arguments about travel distances. To that I say, "Phooey!" The west-Texas boys travel plenty for a game against "like-sized" schools. Otherwise we might as well have Anthony play the AAAAA El Paso schools. Travel distance is not the most important consideration in west Texas, yet the proponents of the current system use that excuse to maintain the current money system.....errh.....I mean DI/DII system.

I'm going to do my best to try to gain support for a 10-class system, and hopefully send a clear message to Austin about it.

Just like Bartles and James, I thank you for your support.

NateDawg39
12-21-2009, 03:31 AM
you mean like 1A to 10A?

GrTigers6
12-21-2009, 06:50 AM
I think he means a split division all the way thru 5A like it is in 6 man and 1A. A set division I and II

Looking4number8
12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

That being said, Carthage's enrollment is listed as 794, and Gilmer's is listed as 701.

I did not realize that.

You make a good point but I just dont see it happening. Whatever the UIL does, 99% of the people are gonna gripe about it and say they are stupid

marler1972
12-21-2009, 08:30 AM
I a firm believer of one State Champ in each classification.
I also wish they would go back to having only two teams from each district making the playoffs.

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Let me first congratulate Gilmer and Carthage on their championship seasons. They both played great football this year.

I argue that the current DI/DII system is either a ruse or a joke. I know that opponents of my argument will point to Celina's success as an exception, but there's a consistent pattern of schools with enrollments below ~600 not making it past the early rounds of the play-offs, if they even make it out of district.

The top level of Class AAA has schools near 1000 students, with 430 being at the bottom. I believe the ~2:1 ratio is laughable. Even the coaching staffs at the bigger schools are larger.

I love the opportunities, but there aren't too many places other than Christian history (and Celina) where David actually beats Goliath.

I know there will also be a lot of arguments about travel distances. To that I say, "Phooey!" The west-Texas boys travel plenty for a game against "like-sized" schools. Otherwise we might as well have Anthony play the AAAAA El Paso schools. Travel distance is not the most important consideration in west Texas, yet the proponents of the current system use that excuse to maintain the current money system.....errh.....I mean DI/DII system.

I'm going to do my best to try to gain support for a 10-class system, and hopefully send a clear message to Austin about it.

I like the idea of the split..but dont give me that Celina being David crap...Celina fans cannot scream we were the best of the decade AND then claim to always be the underdog

marler1972
12-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I like the idea of the split..but dont give me that Celina being David crap...Celina fans cannot scream we were the best of the decade AND then claim to always be the underdog

Well you won't see this Celina fan saying that.

STANG RED
12-21-2009, 09:51 AM
For varsity football, I don’t think most West Texans would have much of a problem with your plan. The problem would be with all the other sports, that have games on school nights. Having kids getting home way after midnight on some occasions, on Tuesday or Thursday nights, then expecting them to perform well in class the next day, is too much to ask.

I'm not saying I have a better solution. But I know that putting children in a situation that would most certainly cause additional hardship for academic achievement, is NOT a solution.

88bobcats
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
you mean like 1A to 10A?

Originally posted by GrTigers6
I think he means a split division all the way thru 5A like it is in 6 man and 1A. A set division I and II

Either of these would work.....they both would eliminate ~500 schools competing against ~1000 schools.

88bobcats
12-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I wasn't talking about their program.....

I was only referring to a less-than-500 school going up against school with 800 and more.

NateDawg39
12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I read somewhere at one point that a few small counties were thinking of making a single large school for all of the towns in that county but it didnt get very far in terms of discussion. I know Wise county proposed the idea but again, not much came out of talks.

LH Panther Mom
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
For varsity football, I don’t think most West Texans would have much of a problem with your plan. The problem would be with all the other sports, that have games on school nights. Having kids getting home way after midnight on some occasions, on Tuesday or Thursday nights, then expecting them to perform well in class the next day, is too much to ask.

I'm not saying I have a better solution. But I know that putting children in a situation that would most certainly cause additional hardship for academic achievement, is NOT a solution.
Agreed! District play for JH, and possibly subvarsity, would go by the wayside for some areas.

Z-RO
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
I a firm believer of one State Champ in each classification.
I also wish they would go back to having only two teams from each district making the playoffs.

Thats taking $$$$ out of the UIL's pocket...will never happen.

3afan
12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
Thats taking $$$$ out of the UIL's pocket...will never happen.

:rolleyes:

PhiI C
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM

I think he does have a point. I remember when we played Everman for the state championship they had one student short of being in 4A while we had just over 600. Bandera with over 700 students was in Division 2.

Z-RO
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: