PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Rumor Mill

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Here's a couple of things I'm hearing.

1) Single site state championship looking more and more like it's a done deal. San Antonio will likely be the spot and it'll happen on back to back weekends. Look for 2nd weekend of Dec to host the two 1A championship games on Friday. Then a Sat tripleheader featuring the 2 2A games and the 3A Division 1 championship game. Then third weekend of Dec expect a Friday tripleheader featuring 3A Div. II and the 2 4A games along with the 2 5A games on Sat.

2)A little 7 on 7 news. It apppears the Small School version of the State Tournament will expand to 64 teams which will extend the State Tournament to a 4th day. It will likely run from Wed-Sat.

NateDawg39
12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

1) Single site state championship looking more and more like it's a done deal. San Antonio will likely be the spot and it'll happen on back to back weekends. Look for 2nd weekend of Dec to host the two 1A championship games on Friday. Then a Sat tripleheader featuring the 2 2A games and the 3A Division 1 championship game. Then third weekend of Dec expect a Friday tripleheader featuring 3A Div. II and the 2 4A games along with the 2 5A games on Sat.

2)A little 7 on 7 news. It apppears the Small School version of the State Tournament will expand to 64 teams which will extend the State Tournament to a 4th day. It will likely run from Wed-Sat.

I like those rumors

wimbo_pro
12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
San Antonio, though convenient for us, is not too friendly (based on distance) for North and East Texas. Hell...not even West Texas for that matter.

VWG
12-20-2009, 06:20 PM
It doesn't make sense to have one site for all state title games.

That's the UIL working to make $$$ in San Antonio.

CelinaCatFan
12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Wow...too far to San Antonio!

Jerry World would be a better venue.

Green Bling
12-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Selfishly, SA, YEA!! :D :D I've always felt that all championship games should be played at Memorial Stadium. Home of the UIL, in the capital, center of Texas, and it has been said that Mack Brown has been told he can no longer bar the games.

LE Dad
12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan

Jerry World would be a better venue. Way too far:doh: DFW or even Houston would be better. SA is between a 5-6 hour drive depending on traffic.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gobbler Fan
12-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Come on San Antonio i'm pulling for ya ...:p

TheDOCTORdre
12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
WHAT??? HOW ON EARTH CAN THEY NOT MAKE THE SINGLE SITE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BROWNWOOD, SINCE THEY ARE THEY CENTER OF THE FOOTBALL UNIVERSE??? TRULY BAFFLING

BwdLion73
12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
About 26 miles from the geographic center of Texas, come on over.

Looking4number8
12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
WHAT??? HOW ON EARTH CAN THEY NOT MAKE THE SINGLE SITE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BROWNWOOD, SINCE THEY ARE THEY CENTER OF THE FOOTBALL UNIVERSE??? TRULY BAFFLING

Exactly what I was thinking... :)

bobcat4life
12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
no matter where you say, a single site is a bad idea. it will cause too much extra travel. I would be against it even if it was played in my neighbors yard

Aesculus gilmus
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Way too far:doh: DFW or even Houston would be better. SA is between a 5-6 hour drive depending on traffic.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By my rough calculation, you'd have to average considerably more than 80 mph to get to SA from TXK in five hours. I hope you have a fuzzbuster.

On another note, it looks like Gilmer has lost so many students that it'll never be D1 again. That's too bad, because I always looked forward to playing the Leopards. It looks like we may be matched up with your district in bi-district again, but there's no way we'll be in the same division.

At the rate we're losing students, Gilmer may wind up in 2A eventually. I was shocked to see the -80 decline from 2007.

Eagle 1
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Where did you get your source from?
If both 1A games are on Friday, it looks like the attendance will be WAY down. Most people just cant take off to go see a game on Friday.
People who work for the UIL have no sense at all.

Old Dog
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Single site is a bunch of garbage; it's only done for money and everyone knows it.

One of the pains single site locations causes is this example: Burnet was to play Everman in the Alamodome in '02. The game was to be after Judson's big game which ran long on time. The parking lot was full as were all of the surrounding area side streets. I dropped my family off and starting looking for a spot. Round and round I went for over an hour. The lot attendants couldn't let folks in because the Judson game was still going on. The Burnet and Everman folks could only stand around (very crowded I might add) until seats were available. Then the early game attendees had difficulty getting out. Meantime hundreds of Burnet and Everman folks were going round and round. Many of us barely got to our seats by kickoff.................really pissed by then. Missed all the pregame fun and hollering. Oh well such is life................. just mark it up to the good ole UIL.

LE Dad
12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
By my rough calculation, you'd have to average considerably more than 80 mph to get to SA from TXK in five hours. I hope you have a fuzzbuster.

On another note, it looks like Gilmer has lost so many students that it'll never be D1 again. That's too bad, because I always looked forward to playing the Leopards. It looks like we may be matched up with your district in bi-district again, but there's no way we'll be in the same division.

At the rate we're losing students, Gilmer may wind up in 2A eventually. I was shocked to see the -80 decline from 2007. I live well outside of the city limits. Think we made it there in about 7 hours this year with stops for eating and sightseeing.
You might still get to see us in playoffs. LE could be in a district with Paris a nd North Lamar. They are both bigger than us so we could go D2 also. LE dropped about 75 or so, but I think that trend will start reversing as the city continues to expand our way.

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Just imagine how it was Saturday when trying to get in for Abilene-Katy when Trinity-Westlake went into OT. I had my cab driver drop me off about two blocks away and I walked.

My sources are multiple, was at the championships and over heard folks in blue UIL shirts talking, chatted with some coaches etc.

UIL wants to create the synergy that they have with the State Basketball Tournament with football. It can be done, they have state basketball games going on at 8am for goodness sakes. I must admit the atmosphere Saturday was awesome and couldn't imagine how much better it would be if more games were there. It's got its good and bad points so I always try to see the good.

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Dallas and Houston are going to be in the mix but there's obstacles there.

Both stadiums are NFL so they'd have to work with the NFL back to back weekends.

Reliant is grass so standing up to 10 games in two weekends will be tough

44INAROW
12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Come on San Antonio i'm pulling for ya ...:p
yeppers

44INAROW
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Just imagine how it was Saturday when trying to get in for Abilene-Katy when Trinity-Westlake went into OT. I had my cab driver drop me off about two blocks away and I walked.

my son said the traffic was a nightmare trying to get into the Alamodome for the Katy game..

gobbler grad
12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
good rumors....i like them...:thinking:

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
as do I...I'd so take off on Friday to go watch games all day. Gotta make sure I stash one vacation day

Z-RO
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Is this in the best interest of the kids though? Sure if you live a couple of hours away, but if your the majority of R1 and R3 this SUCKS.

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I dont think it matters either way for the kids. The kids will want to play in Alaska if its for a title. So the best for the kids argument is a moot point, IMO.

Is having the state basketball tournament in Austin best for everyone? Probably not but the kids have it as a desintation point...maybe the same will happen for football.

I think people will complain about it for a year and get used to it and enjoy it. I heard no complaints about San Antonio this weekend and Trinity could have easily complained playing Westlake in Austin.

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
If you get a chance watch the Abilene-Katy highlights...awesome atmosphere.

Eagle 1
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM

I heard no complaints about San Antonio this weekend and Trinity could have easily complained playing Westlake in Austin.

Maybe its because you are not listening, and neither is the UIL.

Matthew328
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Fans are gonna complain either way. I'm talking about complaints from the people who matter, players and coaches.

Coaches don't like it but talking to Lineweaver who is an honest guy he said he hated it at first but now kinda likes it.

Like I said earlier, make lemons outta lemonade. Find the good in it and enjoy what we have here in Texas

Eagle 1
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Fans are gonna complain either way. I'm talking about complaints from the people who matter, players and coaches.

Coaches don't like it but talking to Lineweaver who is an honest guy he said he hated it at first but now kinda likes it.

Like I said earlier, make lemons outta lemonade. Find the good in it and enjoy what we have here in Texas
Ok so if coaches and players are the ones who matter, and coaches don't like it, then why do it? :thinking:
Who is Lineweaver?

We live in Central Texas, and our coaches and fans don't like it. I can only imagine what coaches in the Panhandle think about it.:rolleyes:

NastySlot
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
one site....i don't care too much for it.....we came close to having a klein/katy match up for the title..single site would have had them in s.a. this weekend........but all other sports are single site...so im sure after a while it would work out and people will be alright with it...............as far as san antonio as a site i think its great....traffic problems and moving people in and out are problems that would occur at any site and the fact is after years of hosting...which ever city gets the championships will need to do their homework on those problems........moving people didn't seem to look to be that big a problem yesterday.....i told this guy i was sitting with that if they really wanted to get those westlake and trinity fans to move out quicker...they should set up stages for the presentation of trophies and awards in the endzones...fans would start to migrate to those areas allowing the fans for the next game in.

parking could be a problem no matter where you go when you have multiple games at one site.....if you know were to look you can find parking at the alamodome...and you can even find free parking.

NastySlot
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
If you get a chance watch the Abilene-Katy highlights...awesome atmosphere.

i wish i could have met you yesterday.... the abilene and katy fans did a great job..it was loud and a great atmosphere yesterday.

bulldog82
12-21-2009, 02:40 AM
was every boby really happy with smu as a site? i heared a lot of complaints , seems like this single site may cater to the fans. kids will play where ever, would probly enjoy the bigger hype and fan fair, i know as a fan i woukd take in a whole day of football to watch 3 or 4 state titles. ive been to triple headers at the dome before , getting there early was no dig deal and as games changed fans would move around and let the fans of teams playing sit in the middle for their games. plus gives the dome the chance to open the upper deck. the dome has no problem handling 40 50 thousand people.would jerry world be reasonable if a team from region 4 make it to the show? im talking rio grand valley teams

1st&10
12-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
no matter where you say, a single site is a bad idea. it will cause too much extra travel. I would be against it even if it was played in my neighbors yard I don't think that a single site would be a good idea. Pittsburg was 2 minutes away from playing Carthage in the title game. Why would two East Texas teams or even two West Texas teams want their fans to travel 7 hours away?

lulu
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM

At the rate we're losing students, Gilmer may wind up in 2A eventually. I was shocked to see the -80 decline from 2007.
How many square miles does your school district consist of?

Ranger Mom
12-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I love road trips!!:D

Its around a 5 hour drive from Midland, no matter where we go.

Dallas
Austin
San Antonio

pirate4state
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm all for it. Of course, San Antonio is only 2 hours away for me! :D WOO HOO!

Ranger Mom
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm all for it. Of course, San Antonio is only 2 hours away for me! :D WOO HOO!

My ex-mother in law lives in San Marcus, so I could stay there if anything was in Austin OR San Antonio!!

How weird......considering staying with my ex-mother-in-law!!:thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
SA or Austin(just like in baseball and basketball). Baseball has it Wed through Saturday. Heck have the Region vs Region games there also :D

Matthew328
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Ok so if coaches and players are the ones who matter, and coaches don't like it, then why do it? :thinking:
Who is Lineweaver?

We live in Central Texas, and our coaches and fans don't like it. I can only imagine what coaches in the Panhandle think about it.:rolleyes:

Lineweaver is the HC of Euless Trinity and if anyone can gripe and moan about single site its him. The two times they've played in San Antonio they've played Converse Judson and this year Austin Westlake. Talking to him Saturday he hated the single site idea but he said its grown on him and most other 5A coaches and now its "not a big deal."

I think the same thing will happen here, coaches will hate it at first because coaches well they hate pretty much any change. But eventually it'll grow. The kids will love it because its a nice venue and it'll become the holy grail for HS Football.

Fans, well some will love it and some will hate it but most find something to complain about regardless.

Sville
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I love me some SA riverwalk. The best thing to do for games at the Alamo Dome is to get a hotel room on the riverwalk and walk to the dome. Stephenville has played there twice and that is what i did. man what a glorious weekend that would be. Hotel stay on the river walk with all those great eating places and multiple state championship games.

wimbo_pro
12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My ex-mother in law lives in San Marcus, so I could stay there if anything was in Austin OR San Antonio!!

How weird......considering staying with my ex-mother-in-law!!:thinking:
San Marcos!! 12 miles from my house...been a real treat to have the VB tourney here...lets do it for football too!

Aesculus gilmus
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by lulu
How many square miles does your school district consist of?

A BUNCH. Upshur County is 587 square miles and this shows how much of the county it takes in.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zl4G49uzDjg/Sy-fTlxmM8I/AAAAAAAAA4g/CJ7AuIF6RIA/s320/web1223gmap.gif

BILLYFRED0000
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan

Jerry World would be a better venue.

I'll Drink to that.

N4SIR
12-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't mind the single site but you would think it would be located in a town more in the center of Texas -- like Austin or Dallas. It would take Bushland, the 1A Div II runner up this year 2 days to drive to San Antonio. Not good for the kids or fans, I don't care what anybody says.

STANG RED
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by N4SIR
I don't mind the single site but you would think it would be located in a town more in the center of Texas -- like Austin or Dallas. It would take Bushland, the 1A Div II runner up this year 2 days to drive to San Antonio. Not good for the kids or fans, I don't care what anybody says.

2 days?:confused:

Those people still traveling by stagecoach? :D

I dont like the single site idea either. Let the opposing coaches decide, just like always.
Canadian has played in the 1A SC several times. It's a long long long way to San Antonio for those folks.

bobcat4life
12-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't mind the single site but you would think it would be located in a town more in the center of Texas -- like Austin or Dallas. It would take Bushland, the 1A Div II runner up this year 2 days to drive to San Antonio. Not good for the kids or fans, I don't care what anybody says. Look at Muleshoe last season. The city limits there run along the New Mexico border. Its over 1000 miles to Houston or SA.

lulu
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
A BUNCH. Upshur County is 587 square miles and this shows how much of the county it takes in.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zl4G49uzDjg/Sy-fTlxmM8I/AAAAAAAAA4g/CJ7AuIF6RIA/s320/web1223gmap.gif

My ......I did not realize it touches 9 other districts. We have about 2-3 square miles I think. Guess I better get off this thread
as I'm off subject. Thank you. lulu

ronwx5x
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Look at Muleshoe last season. The city limits there run along the New Mexico border. Its over 1000 miles to Houston or SA.

???? :p 480 miles to San Antonio and 650 to Houston. A long way, but not a 1000 miles.

No way is Dallas central to anyone. It is either close or far away.

There is no easy answer due to the size of the state. No matter where a single SC slate is played, it is a long way for someone. The best solution is no single site, but for $ reasons the teams may be forced to a single site. You still get the same number of fans, plus locals and t-shirt fans come for the experience.

LE Dad
12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
???? :p 480 miles to San Antonio and 650 to Houston. A long way, but not a 1000 miles.

No way is Dallas central to anyone. It is either close or far away.

There is no easy answer due to the size of the state. No matter where a single SC slate is played, it is a long way for someone. The best solution is no single site, but for $ reasons the teams may be forced to a single site. You still get the same number of fans, plus locals and t-shirt fans come for the experience.

Dallas is just under 200mi from my house. Houston is in the 300mi range. San Antonio and Austin are not only further but traffic issues turn 5-6 hours into 7-8 hours of driving. I would really have to think about that drive, HARD...

:eek: :eek:

Matthew328
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I doubt Houston ever hosts because they have a grass field

Matthew328
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Dallas is just under 200mi from my house. Houston is in the 300mi range. San Antonio and Austin are not only further but traffic issues turn 5-6 hours into 7-8 hours of driving. I would really have to think about that drive, HARD...

You wouldnt think about it, its the State Championship. I bet you'd find a way :)

95mustang
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds good to me.

BWD to Dallas: 160 miles
BWD to Austin: 150 miles
BWD to San Antonio: 180 miles.

Its good to live in the center of the state.

ronwx5x
12-21-2009, 03:55 PM

But whether it is "central" would depend on who your team is playing. If both teams drive 200 miles, it's central. If one team drives 100 miles and the other 300, it's not central. One thing's for sure, Texarkana is not central!:thumbsup:

wimbo_pro
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Sounds good to me.

..except for the fact that you are at least 150 miles from everywhere!! LOL

95mustang
12-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

When you drive as much as I do 150 miles is nothing. :D

BwdLion73
12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

Sometimes thats a good thing!:D :D

GrTigers6
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Ah just have it in Glen Rose. You can come see the Dinosaur tracks while your here.:D

Buckeye1980
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Look at Muleshoe last season. The city limits there run along the New Mexico border. Its over 1000 miles to Houston or SA.

Muleshoe to San Antonio is 481 miles according to mapquest

sinfan75
12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't mind the single site but you would think it would be located in a town more in the center of Texas -- like Austin or Dallas. It would take Bushland, the 1A Div II runner up this year 2 days to drive to San Antonio. Not good for the kids or fans, I don't care what anybody says. Dallas in the center of Texas? Better get your map out.:D Looong way from being in the center of Texas. Austin would be ideal.

banderafan
12-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Austin maybe. Dallas is no more centrally located than San Antonio is, probably less. Though Austin doesn't have the stadiums like San Antonio.

HEMOTOXIC
12-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I doubt Houston ever hosts because they have a grass field

Didn't Reliant host last year?

They (Reliant) does a great job of growing their own grass and getting it changed out for every Texan game. It would wear down alot, but, I think that it is possible.

LE Dad
12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
You wouldnt think about it, its the State Championship. I bet you'd find a way :) Yeah, I would be there, but LE better win:D

Pawdaddy
12-21-2009, 11:49 PM
You wouldnt think about it, its the State Championship. I bet you'd find a way :)

Yes, I would think about it real hard and most other people would too. Holiday time of year, vacation time scheduled for family at Christmas and New Year, Mama already upset about the fishing and hunting vacation days spent......... And then again, if all of the games will be televised, there is no doubt I will be loud and proud in the middle of my living room, toasty warm and not eating any $8 slices of pizza or drinking $3 cups of coffee!

Eagle 1
12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
It might be good for the larger classifications, but not for the smaller classifications, I dont care how you slice it.
Our coaches dont like it, and not likely are going to change their mind by next year.

As for the fans getting up and moving after their game is over; in 1992 Goldthwaite was playing Schulenburg in the Astrodome in the second game. Most of the fans from the first game, and I dont remember who was playing, wouldnt get up and move from the 50 yard line, so most of our fans had to sit on the 30 yard lines on each end.
I wonder what the UIL would do if the two teams decided they were NOT going to play at the pre-determined site?
Its kind of like Obama forcing this uniformed health care on people who DONT want it. :hand:

bobcat4life
12-22-2009, 01:02 AM
DCTF has polled the coaches across the state for years now and have asked the coaches in the lower classifications about this each of the past 3 years and it is always voted 60-65% against. that tells alot about what the schools think about it as well I think

bulldog82
12-22-2009, 03:20 AM
smaller classifications should consider this as another way to get thier kids noticed . scouts are able to look at alot more athletes with this sort of format

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by bulldog82
smaller classifications should consider this as another way to get thier kids noticed . scouts are able to look at alot more athletes with this sort of format Yeah that is true, My concern though is some of these smaller schools cant afford a venue of that size.

Aesculus gilmus
12-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
And then again, if all of the games will be televised, there is no doubt I will be loud and proud in the middle of my living room, toasty warm and not eating any $8 slices of pizza or drinking $3 cups of coffee!

You really know how to hurt a San Antonio tourism official! :D

Matthew328
12-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
It might be good for the larger classifications, but not for the smaller classifications, I dont care how you slice it.
Our coaches dont like it, and not likely are going to change their mind by next year.

As for the fans getting up and moving after their game is over; in 1992 Goldthwaite was playing Schulenburg in the Astrodome in the second game. Most of the fans from the first game, and I dont remember who was playing, wouldnt get up and move from the 50 yard line, so most of our fans had to sit on the 30 yard lines on each end.
I wonder what the UIL would do if the two teams decided they were NOT going to play at the pre-determined site?
Its kind of like Obama forcing this uniformed health care on people who DONT want it. :hand:

1) Alamodome does a good job herding people in and out for the most part. They don't put up w/shenanighans.

2) Smaller schools don't have to worry about paying for the venue, UIL pays for it.

3) It probably isnt best for smaller classes but its not as big of a deal as some think. In the end be glad your team is lucky enough to play for a title, go out and support em.

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
1) Alamodome does a good job herding people in and out for the most part. They don't put up w/shenanighans.

2) Smaller schools don't have to worry about paying for the venue, UIL pays for it.

3) It probably isnt best for smaller classes but its not as big of a deal as some think. In the end be glad your team is lucky enough to play for a title, go out and support em.

4. Guys who make their living covering HS football don't have to run their butts all over the state to cover games and risk breaking down in places like Odessa. :D :D :D

Matthew328
12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
HA! I wish I make a living covering HS Football, its just a hobby that covers my gas money part time.

VWG
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
It's not right that the UIL, which is very profitable already, wants to make more money with this deal.
If Carthage and Pitt were in the state final, it would have probably been played in Tyler. If it was played in San Antonio it wouldn't have been as big of a draw.

pirate4state
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by VWG
It's not right that the UIL, which is very profitable already, wants to make more money with this deal.
If Carthage and Pitt were in the state final, it would have probably been played in Tyler. If it was played in San Antonio it wouldn't have been as big of a draw. There would be plenty of fans in the San Antonio area that would have gone to watch two East Texas teams play. You underestimate the fans of South Texas.

I agree that it wouldn't be fair to the East Texas fans, but life ain't fair.

VWG
12-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
There would be plenty of fans in the San Antonio area that would have gone to watch two East Texas teams play. You underestimate the fans of South Texas.

I agree that it wouldn't be fair to the East Texas fans, but life ain't fair.

Life isn't fair but common sense should be upheld.
What if Sinton and Wimberly were in the state final?

Would it be fair to have that game played in Waco?

kepdawg
12-22-2009, 07:31 PM
That schedule sounds horrible. Hopefully it's all on tv so I can see some of the games.

Eagle 1
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
So when is the San Antonio predetermined site going to be official?

Matthew328
12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I have heard an announcement is set for sometime in Feb more than likely

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I have heard an announcement is set for sometime in Feb more than likely Hey thats just a rumor ;)

Buckeye80
12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Forgive me if a similar scenario has already been posted, but let's say hypothetically that Gilmer and Pittsburg meet up for a 3A DII title game. They are 14 miles apart and both about six hours from SA. That would be absolutely ludicrous to have the game in SA simply because the UIL wants "synergy"!:doh:

oldtownag
12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Where would you play, Bettie?

Matthew328
12-22-2009, 10:32 PM
It happens in other sports all the time. DeSoto and Cedar Hill played in the 5A boys basketball state championship last year. The schools are 7 miles apart and they played in Austin

Matthew328
12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Hey thats just a rumor ;)

Trust the source Nate, trust the source

Buckeye80
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
It happens in other sports all the time. DeSoto and Cedar Hill played in the 5A boys basketball state championship last year. The schools are 7 miles apart and they played in Austin

Basketball vs football crowd. Big difference!

Buckeye80
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Where would you play, Bettie?

Billy Bass Stadium on the campus of beautiful Union Hill High School!! It's a fine venue that holds at least 700 fans!!:D

waterboy
12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Billy Bass Stadium on the campus of beautiful Union Hill High School!! It's a fine venue that holds at least 700 fans!!:D
Yeah, it'll hold 700..........if your entire family sits in your lap.......AND they line the fences all the way around the field!:D

waterboy
12-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I'll tell you what, though, I'll be there wherever the Buckeyes play. But, it's like others are saying.........I think it should be up to the two schools involved to decide. In these hard economic times I'd think that costs to transport students, and the drive for fans, would have to be considered. Why make one school drive 300 or 400 miles while another could possibly drive only 20 or 30 miles? It doesn't seem fair, to say the least. Those schools in the Centex region would have a HUGE advantage economically AND in attendance........more like a home field advantage.

garciap77
12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpg

GreenMonster
12-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I say host em all in El Paso, that way everyone has to drive a gazillion miles and the UIL never has to worry about a hometown team playing in it. :devil:

waterboy
12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I say host em all in El Paso, that way everyone has to drive a gazillion miles and the UIL never has to worry about a hometown team playing in it. :devil:
:spitlol: Now that's funny........I don't care who you are!:D

.......it's also very mean, too!:mad:

;)

bobcat4life
12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpg hey its waterboy!

waterboy
12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
hey its waterboy!
:mad: That picture is doctored! I swear I wasn't there, nor was I rooting for those little purple puppies!:mad: Dang, Garcia and his danged camera!:doh:

Matthew328
12-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Basketball vs football crowd. Big difference!

Not as much as you think, state hoops tournament draws a big crowd too

STANG RED
12-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Your not comparing apples to apples now. Thats a tournament, in which you have to win 2 games, a day apart, to win the title. Doesnt even resemble football playoffs IMO.

Eagle 1
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Your not comparing apples to apples now. Thats a tournament, in which you have to win 2 games, a day apart, to win the title. Doesnt even resemble football playoffs IMO.
Yea what he said.

garciap77
12-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:mad: That picture is doctored! I swear I wasn't there, nor was I rooting for those little purple puppies!:mad: Dang, Garcia and his danged camera!:doh:
:D

Merry Christmas!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Giler.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Snydertigersrul
12-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Not as much as you think, state hoops tournament draws a big crowd too

Playing championship games at one site is a good decision. Only the larger venues can host games. Why not rotate it between Austin/San Antonio, Houston and Texas Tech in Lubbock. Other states already host their championship games this way.

Spread It Out
12-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Sounds good to me.

Brownwood won't have to worry about driving to a state championship anytime soon anyway.