PDA

View Full Version : Avatar (merged)

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it going to be as good as many hope? I'm a sci-fi fan, and I'm sure going to see it with my grandson. Brings back memories of when I took my son to the premier of Star Wars back in 77'.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

SWMustang
12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
I think you have to have 1500 posts to see it.

Ranger Mom
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

ROFL.......it took me about 5 minutes, but I finally "got it!!" :doh:

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Bull - I am not a sci-fi fan, but I love, love, LOVE James Cameron. I am so excited about this movie. I hope it lives up to the hype because it looks AMAZING!

SintonFan
12-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Is it going to be as good as many hope? I'm a sci-fi fan, and I'm sure going to see it with my grandson. Brings back memories of when I took my son to the premier of Star Wars back in 77'.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

I don't know. It looks like a high tech version of Smurfs WW1.:doh:

DDBooger
12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
people are really attacking this movie, but Cameron knows how to make a blockbuster.

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
people are really attacking this movie, but Cameron knows how to make a blockbuster. what people? i haven't seen any negative reviews. of course, i haven't really gone looking for any either. haha

coach
12-16-2009, 10:06 PM

lmao post of the year

SintonFan
12-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Is this movie another anti-corporation anti-business movie from HollyWeird?
Revenge of the Smurfs 1!

SWMustang
12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Is this movie another anti-corporation anti-business movie from HollyWeird?
Revenge of the Smurfs 1!

Yep - from what I've heard and the previews I've seen.

AP Panther Fan
12-17-2009, 04:57 PM

LOL, you know, each time I see the commercial advertising the movie, I think of the D'Low and all of the avatars. Once I get something in my head like that, it sticks. I will think the same thing every single time.

There used to be this commercial for a certain type of washing machine. The commercial started out with this gigantic ball of dirty clothes chasing some poor woman around the yard. At the end of the commercial you would see huge stacks of clean, folded laundry like she had conquered the beast.

Being a Mom and always fighting the laundry at home, I completely, each and every time, missed the MESSAGE of the commercial which was that the washing machine used very little detergent. They could have said anything during that commercial (like it was solar powered or could be ordered in hot pink) and it would have gone straight over my head because I was still thinking about the horrors of the giant, dirty laundry ball.

Anyway, back to what I was originally going to say, I wish they would have named the movie something else. :doh: :nerd:

Bullaholic
12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
LOL, you know, each time I see the commercial advertising the movie, I think of the D'Low and all of the avatars. Once I get something in my head like that, it sticks. I will think the same thing every single time.

There used to be this commercial for a certain type of washing machine. The commercial started out with this gigantic ball of dirty clothes chasing some poor woman around the yard. At the end of the commercial you would see huge stacks of clean, folded laundry like she had conquered the beast.

Being a Mom and always fighting the laundry at home, I completely, each and every time, missed the MESSAGE of the commercial which was that the washing machine used very little detergent. They could have said anything during that commercial (like it was solar powered or could be ordered in hot pink) and it would have gone straight over my head because I was still thinking about the horrors of the giant, dirty laundry ball.

Anyway, back to what I was originally going to say, I wish they would have named the movie something else. :doh: :nerd:

Yea, somthing like-"Hot, Ten-Foot Blue Amazons Fight For Freedom"? :D

AP Panther Fan
12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yea, somthing like-"Hot, Ten-Foot Blue Amazons Fight For Freedom"? :D

Is that what it's about? SEE ... all I think about are significant, but extremely small, pictures. I will try to make myself focus next time the commercial is on.:p :)

Ranger Mom
12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I just some previews on Good Morning America....evidently all the graphics are making some people sick.

I don't have to worry about it, I am not a sci-fi fan, so this is one movie I will not be seeing!!

Diocletian
12-18-2009, 09:45 PM
According to some reports it's costing 300+ million to make and 200+ million to advertise.

That would make it #1 in expense. So I know many people are hoping it is good.

Bullaholic
12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
O.k.--saw the movie las night as previously stated and here are my impressions:

The effects are some of the best I've have seen as far as total scope are concerned. Not real sure I am in love with the 3D effects. The computers literally created a complete alien world. The effects are so alien it is hard not to consider the movie a super-animated adventure.

This movie could very easily be re-titled "Dances With Tree Huggers", and I have no political agenda when I say that, but there is a heavy-handed political environmental statement presented thoughout the entire movie with the bad guys being the military, corporations, and our 22nd century earth civilization in general. The hero's character does closly resemble the hero's storyline of "Dances With Wolves"---white civilized man goes native and saves the Indians from extermination.

The religious theme underpinnings borrow heavily from the wicans and druidism.

All in all--strong sci-fi fans will enjoy this movie if they can get past the strong political environmental messages and religious fundamentalists will have to deal with an alien race who embrace an alien god.

I was very surprised that the theatre where I viewed this movie was not very crowded---no lines at all. I don't think this movie will be the big blockbuster for which the makers hoped.

JJWalker
12-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I saw it yesterday in 3D ... enjoyed it very much.

Being religious and conservative, I did not feel too beaten over the head with the environmental hogwash.

However, I see your point too.

I too get tired of the "Adam Lambert Efffect" and the overall decline of the American society as we have given up true moral standards and swapped them for political/cultural correctness.

SWMustang
12-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker

DY-No-MITE!!!!!!

mustang04
12-20-2009, 01:34 AM
This movie was simply amazing....yes it might have resembled dances with wolves, but what movie doesn't resemble a previous movie??? the graphics were great! plus, it was very creative from a biological standpoint...you'll know what I mean when ya see it

I honestly can say it surpassed my expectations. . . when i saw the previews I thought it looked "ok"....but after watching it, I'm seriously considering trying to catch it at least 2-3 more times while it is in theaters!

some ppl complain about the story....hey, if you want a good story, read a book...movies were made for the visual stimulation and this movie did just that!

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
This movie is nothing short of amazing. It's a great movie.

SWMustang
12-20-2009, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by mustang04

some ppl complain about the story....hey, if you want a good story, read a book...movies were made for the visual stimulation and this movie did just that!

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

I concur. Debbie Does Dallas had a horrible plot, but I was visually stimulated.

I really need to go check out Avatar.

easttexas3a
12-20-2009, 04:30 AM
I loved it, thought the story was very good, visuals were out of this world.

BTownVBall3
12-20-2009, 07:24 AM
I watched it on thursdat at midnight. If you didn't watch it in 3D, you need to watch it again.

Green Bling
12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I despair of ever having enough posts to be able to have an avatar!!:D :D

bandera7
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I was disappointed. It was just weird. I mean I normally enjoy sci-fi but this one...it was really strange. No doubt the visual effects were impressive. But I seriously dont know if Ill ever watch it again.

carter08
12-22-2009, 03:52 AM
3rd best movie of the year.'

it was a 3D ferngully, which is a good thing.

lakers
12-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Awesome movie, I am definitely going to see it again.

mustang04
12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Awesome movie, I am definitely going to see it again.

same here..i wanna watch it at least like 2 more times while its in theaters

bobcat4life
12-24-2009, 06:55 PM
I went to it last Friday. It was really good. The effects were out of this world. But the acting was kinda bad in some parts.

Farmersfan
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I thought it was a GREAT movie! I watched it on IMAX and all I can say is WOW! The visual effects in this movie were second to none.
I'm not normally a sentimental person or a tree hugger type but I felt a real connection to the Navi very quickly when they were introduced in the movie. I found the attitudes of corporate greed and military chest pounding to be a little disturbing but typical. Overall it was a very watchable movie and I will own it as soon as it comes out on Blueray.................

Bullaholic
12-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Avatar seems to be doing better at the boxoffice than I had anticipated based on the poor attendance at the debut showing I attended.

PhiI C
12-30-2009, 12:30 AM
MAGNIFICIENT MOVIE! WELL WORTH SEEING! DON'T MISS IT!
ONE THAT I REALLY ENJOYED!
Everyone at the theatre enjoyed it even though it wasn't in 3D. It is great and I can imagine how great it would be in 3D. Fantastic and greatness indeed.

"This is the best movie of the year and yet it won't even get nominated" said the Sinton GodFather on his way to the kitchen to pop some popcorn.

NateDawg39
12-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I got to see it at the I Max in 3-D...extremely good movie and what incredible scenes!

Phil C
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Also probably none of the actors in the movie will probably even get nominated though everyone did a great job. The mean leader of the army was outstanding and he should get nominated for best supporting actor at least. He would be a worthy winner.

THIS MOVIE IS A WINNER!