PDA

View Full Version : Dallas vs New Orleans

coach
12-19-2009, 08:30 PM
once again tony has come to play this december...TOUCHDOWN DALLAS!!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Cowboys score first 7-0

Looking4number8
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Beautiful pass by Romo!!

coach
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
beautiful drive by dallas 14-0...i think marion learned his lesson

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by coach
beautiful drive by dallas 14-0...i think marion learned his lesson Are they on ESPN?

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Are they on ESPN?

NFL network

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
NFL network Darn my hotel doesnt get that

coach
12-19-2009, 09:53 PM
huge play by demarcus ware...and another idiot play by flozell

GrTigers6
12-19-2009, 10:13 PM
its also on upn 21 in the metroplex

coach
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
another great drive lead by romo...24-3 dallas

Pawdaddy
12-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Dallas 24 New Orleans 3 8:00 left in 3rd. New Orleans just can't hang.

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Argh big special team play puts NO in great field position

STANG RED
12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not able to watch this game. So is Dallas just playing that well, or is NO resting some players and playing sloppy?

coach
12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm not able to watch this game. So is Dallas just playing that well, or is NO resting some players and playing sloppy?

dallas is playing great

coach
12-19-2009, 10:47 PM
dallas' defense is starting to look tired and cant stop the pass even when they know its coming

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
dallas' defense is starting to look tired and cant stop the pass even when they know its coming

I dont know if it is being tired..they have not been on the field that long..I think they played the let them catch everything in front and tackle them

DDBooger
12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Come on Roy Williams:rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Just WOW

coach
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
typical roy williams cant catch and the dallas defense cant stop anybody when it counts

coach
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Just WOW

man tony romo sucks...its all his fault

DDBooger
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
typical roy williams cant catch and the dallas defense cant stop anybody when it counts No way coach, this is Romo's fault.

kepdawg
12-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I thought everything is Jerry's fault

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice pass to Austin for 32 yards

kepdawg
12-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Folk better make this

kepdawg
12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Folk better not be on the plane back to Dallas

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Folk better not be on the plane back to Dallas Here we go defense :(

LE Dad
12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Horrible kick:doh: Folk has lost confidence in his leg.:rolleyes:

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Horrible kick:doh: Folk has lost confidence in his leg.:rolleyes: Its Romos fault :D

LE Dad
12-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Its Romos fault :D Hire Brad McCoy:D

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 11:29 PM
WARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coach
12-19-2009, 11:30 PM
romo and the boys win a HUGE game in december....great win

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Go Cowboys...and how about D Ware!!

LE Dad
12-19-2009, 11:31 PM
DeMarcus Ware is underpaid!! :clap: :clap:

Looking4number8
12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Way to go Cowboys!!!!

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:33 PM
DeMarcus Ware is underpaid!! :clap: :clap: lol riiiiight

turbostud
I didnt even get to see the game cause I dont have NFL network but its still Romo's fault, even though they won. :eek:

GrTigers6
who said they had no chance to beat the saints, oh yeah Dungy ... idiot:D

eagles_victory
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
As good as this win is it doesn't solve anything remember last year they had a similar huge win over the Giants and still didn't get to the playoffs this just makes next week in Washington even bigger.

STANG RED
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Now thats the way to break that December curse Cowboys!
Nothing sweeter than taking down an undefeated team to end the curse.

coach
12-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
As good as this win is it doesn't solve anything remember last year they had a similar huge win over the Giants and still didn't get to the playoffs this just makes next week in Washington even bigger.

beat me to it

LE Dad
12-19-2009, 11:41 PM
A Philly loss tomorrow would be nice:evillol: :evillol:

NateDawg39
12-19-2009, 11:42 PM
As good as this win is it doesn't solve anything remember last year they had a similar huge win over the Giants and still didn't get to the playoffs this just makes next week in Washington even bigger. :doh: Geeze lets not be happy or positive about it ok.... :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM

I agree..but I also think this win was a BETTER win than last year...Giants had basically already clinched the east or was close to it. Dallas last year was trying to just claw back into the play-off race

This year Dallas not only stays in play-off race they have a legit shot at the East Title

Also that win last year was at home..this was on the road in a crazy place to win

BullsFan
12-19-2009, 11:52 PM
WOW. That was HUUUUGE. I thought Tony Romo looked pretty darned good tonight. Certainly better than he looks most nights in December. Defense played lights out against one of the strongest offenses in the league. And how about DeMarcus Ware? That dude is just brutal in the very best possible way.

Drew Brees throwing his little hissy fits just made me laugh and laugh...

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
WOW. That was HUUUUGE. I thought Tony Romo looked pretty darned good tonight. Certainly better than he looks most nights in December. Defense played lights out against one of the strongest offenses in the league. And how about DeMarcus Ware? That dude is just brutal in the very best possible way.

Drew Brees throwing his little hissy fits just made me laugh and laugh...

One of the things the 0-2 start in December has hidden is how well Romo has played this December

CHS_89
12-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Very big win!!! Philly has to play Denver yet. Cowboys have to beat Washington next week. This is gonna be interesting for sure.

eagles_victory
12-20-2009, 12:20 AM
:doh: Geeze lets not be happy or positive about it ok.... :rolleyes: I didnt say I wasnt happy but just like Herb Brooks told the '80 US Hockey team after beating the Soviets you dont come out and take care of business next game it doesn't mean a (insert cuss word) thing.

eagles_victory
12-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree..but I also think this win was a BETTER win than last year...Giants had basically already clinched the east or was close to it. Dallas last year was trying to just claw back into the play-off race

This year Dallas not only stays in play-off race they have a legit shot at the East Title

Also that win last year was at home..this was on the road in a crazy place to win I agree I never said it wasn't better just similar point I was trying to make is one big December win doesn't solve everything.

STANG RED
12-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I agree I never said it wasn't better just similar point I was trying to make is one big December win doesn't solve everything.

Your probably right. I think they have to win both remaining games to get that December curse monkey completely off their back. Then they have to prove they can win a playoff game. So the next 3 games are huge. But at least this win can give them a good kick start to that end. At least it proves their capable of it. Now they gotta go out and do it. Thats the tricky part.

King_LeYoeNidas
12-20-2009, 12:55 AM
now where is that douc...uh.....where is Keith w/ his bag of excuses?

Maroon87
12-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Bring the excuses, haters...

Emerson1
12-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
now where is that douc...uh.....where is Keith w/ his bag of excuses?
benched

Maroon87
12-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
benched

Twitter

BTownVBall3
12-20-2009, 07:33 AM
He's probably at a north texas joke of an athletic program event.

Eagle Eyes
12-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Big win for the Cowboys, now they need to find a kicker.

GrTigers6
12-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Eagle Eyes
Big win for the Cowboys, now they need to find a kicker. Yeah I say give Buehler a try. he cant be any worse. :thinking:

statewide
12-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm just afraid the saints will want Dallas in the playoffs and if the boys make it that far, I'm not sure we'll want to watch.........Go Cowboys!

gobblerfan34
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
great win, total team effort, one of the best wins we have had in

years, great coaching in all aspects, need to get a different

kicker, maybe Folk can get straightened out for next season

Eagle Eyes
12-20-2009, 09:32 AM
There was not much "Who Dat"chants after the game.:clap: :clap:

Balcones fault
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Very nice win but you still can't help but wonder which Cowboy team will show up from week to week. Exceptional effort by Ware, most especially after the injury last week.

Bull's-eye
12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Great win for the Cowboys! Romo looked good and came up big in the clutch, can't say that for the kicker. Just like the offense, the defense finally made the big plays in the crucial moments of the game. Roy Williams needs to be replaced by Creighten, can't be missing passes that hit you right in the hands.

Macarthur
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Balcones fault
Very nice win but you still can't help but wonder which Cowboy team will show up from week to week. Exceptional effort by Ware, most especially after the injury last week.

See, I've heard this several times and I've got to disagree.

Despite the fact that they are only 1-2 in December, this team has been playing pretty good football for the last 10 weeks or so. The defense has been really good, like 2nd in the league in scoring defense. People seems to lose sight of the fact of their schedule. There's no shame in losing at NY. SD is, at worst, the 3rd best team in the AFC. Of course, we know about NO and they still have 2 tough games left.

Your post implies that they've been inconsistent, but I think they've actually played pretty consistently good football this last half of the season.

statewide
12-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I do not think Dallas will be in the Superbowl or probably even NFC championship. That being said I watched them beat NO. Then I watched Minn tonight. Who is playing better ball this week?, certainly not either of them, especially Minn. Eagles? already beat them and have another shot in two weeks. Who? Someone needs to get hot at this time of year like the steelers and cards did last year. I really am starting to think if we can get some consistent play, the Cowboys could suprise a lot of folks. In the end, it will probably be NO but it is shaping up to be an interesting post season in the NFC. If you had the effort from last night all season, they are undefeated, problem is we don't get that consistent play or effort. AFC seems to be chargers or colts.

GrTigers6
12-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with Macarther, they have played well ,just needed key plays here and there. If they can figure out how to keep those plays going there way we will be fine.

Farmersfan
12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I agree with Macarther, they have played well ,just needed key plays here and there. If they can figure out how to keep those plays going there way we will be fine.

Unlike the previous games, I was really impressed with the play and the leadership of Romo in this game. Not only did he put up the good stats that he always puts up but he actually made plays AT THE RIGHT TIMES. He used his feet and his arm to keep the offense alive when it really counted. Great job Tony!
But again I give the gameball to the defense who held the #1 scoring offense in the NFL to 18 points below their season average which gave the offense a chance. I think there might actually be something to what Ware said about him being fresh at the end of the game. Perhaps they need to get him more rest time during the early part of the games.

And I think this proves my point about the level of talent on this team. They can beat anyone if a few of the KEY members of the team produce when needed!

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Unlike the previous games, I was really impressed with the play and the leadership of Romo in this game. Not only did he put up the good stats that he always puts up but he actually made plays AT THE RIGHT TIMES. He used his feet and his arm to keep the offense alive when it really counted. Great job Tony!
But again I give the gameball to the defense who held the #1 scoring offense in the NFL to 18 points below their season average which gave the offense a chance. I think there might actually be something to what Ware said about him being fresh at the end of the game. Perhaps they need to get him more rest time during the early part of the games.

And I think this proves my point about the level of talent on this team. They can beat anyone if a few of the KEY members of the team produce when needed!

Tony has been doing what he did agianst the Saints all season except for really one truly bad game and a couple of so-so games. he has quietly has put together what might be his best season of his career

And for all the talk about this should be a running team and all that...Dallas is 6-1 when he throws for 300 yards this year.

Phil C
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
It is a great win by the Cowboys. But I can remember when we made news by losing a game rather than when we upset someone and stopping their winning streak. It used to be the other way around and those were great times. Oh well. GO COWBOYS!

Farmersfan
12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Tony has been doing what he did agianst the Saints all season except for really one truly bad game and a couple of so-so games. he has quietly has put together what might be his best season of his career

And for all the talk about this should be a running team and all that...Dallas is 6-1 when he throws for 300 yards this year.

You are certainly correct if you examine the "STATS" only. But if you read between the lines then you would realize that Tony is the primary weapon on a offense that has under-acheived badly in most of the losses for this team recently. The 60% completion ratio is good for Tony but it's WHEN the 40% incompletions happen that kills the team. Tony got his HUGE contract because of his legs and until this game he had pretty much abandoned that part of his game. At crunch time in this game Romo drove the boys on a long, clock eating drive to give Folk a chance to kills his career when he misses a game clinching FG. But without the long drive the Saints get the ball back with a lot of time and nobody doubts that they would have driven down and scored. In recent games Romo doesn't make some of those plays that basically wins the game for the Cowboys. Normally he goes 3 and out and turns it over to the defense who then gives up a long drive to the best offense in the league and today you are blaming the defense for the loss. But the truth is, Romo got it done finally. I hope he continues.

Farmersfan
12-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Statistically this game was not as good as the previous losses. But it's WHEN he gets it done that makes the difference.

Tony Romo threw for less yards, lower completion percentage and a lower QB rating. AND WON!!!

Because he rushed 4 times for 21 yards to keep a Dallas possession alive. He also completed passes in crucial parts of the game instead of simply taking what the defense gave him.

In week 13 loss Romo rushed 0 for 0 yards.
In week 14 loss Romo rushed 1 for -1 yard.

Pick6
12-21-2009, 10:28 AM

In week 14 loss Romo rushed 1 for -1 yard.

So Dallas lost them because Romo didn't have any rushing yards? Your arguments get dumber and dumber each day. You must be kind to Keith7 in some way.

Farmersfan
12-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
So Dallas lost them because Romo didn't have any rushing yards? Your arguments get dumber and dumber each day. You must be kind to Keith7 in some way.

The point that any intelligent person would have taken from my post was that the difference between this game and previous losses was the plays made by the QB. No other aspect of the game was different. In fact the defense was not any better. The receivers were not any better or worst. The special teams actually gave up a big return and the kicker missed a short field goal so they were actually probably worst. The only REAL difference in this game and the previous games was that Romo didn't overthrow the BIG play down field a couple of times and didn't settle for a 4 yard pass when they needed 8 when it was do or die time in the game. I gave Romo credit for this game because he actually looked like a top rated QB rather than one who was just racking up hollow stats that don't really mean anything. If Romo continues to play this way they will be very competitive for a SB title. But remember they beat the Giants pretty good in week 14 last season before completely missing the playoffs.

DDBooger
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
The point that any intelligent person would have taken from my post was that the difference between this game and previous losses was the plays made by the QB. No other aspect of the game was different. In fact the defense was not any better. The receivers were not any better or worst. The special teams actually gave up a big return and the kicker missed a short field goal so they were actually probably worst. The only REAL difference in this game and the previous games was that Romo didn't overthrow the BIG play down field a couple of times and didn't settle for a 4 yard pass when they needed 8 when it was do or die time in the game. I gave Romo credit for this game because he actually looked like a top rated QB rather than one who was just racking up hollow stats that don't really mean anything. If Romo continues to play this way they will be very competitive for a SB title. But remember they beat the Giants pretty good in week 14 last season before completely missing the playoffs. at least you're consistent, not jumping on or off the bandwagon! ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
. In fact the defense was not any better. The receivers were not any better or worst. The special teams actually gave up a big return and the kicker missed a short field goal so they were actually probably worst. The only REAL difference in this game and the previous games was that Romo didn't overthrow the BIG play down field a couple of times and didn't settle for a 4 yard pass when they needed 8 when it was do or die time in the game. I gave Romo credit for this game because he actually looked like a top rated QB rather than one who was just racking up hollow stats that don't really mean anything. If Romo continues to play this way they will be very competitive for a SB title. But remember they beat the Giants pretty good in week 14 last season before completely missing the playoffs.

Wow..you really do hate Romo..you say the D was not different...yea they were..they actually forced 3 turnovers..they actually did NOT give up the late 4th Q score like they have in the past. They put Brees under pressure all game. Sorry but that is REALLY different

GrTigers6
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Statistically this game was not as good as the previous losses. But it's WHEN he gets it done that makes the difference.

Tony Romo threw for less yards, lower completion percentage and a lower QB rating. AND WON!!!

Because he rushed 4 times for 21 yards to keep a Dallas possession alive. He also completed passes in crucial parts of the game instead of simply taking what the defense gave him.

In week 14 loss Romo rushed 1 for -1 yard. His completion percentage was down because williams and witten had several drops.

NateDawg39
12-21-2009, 12:58 PM
So Dallas lost them because Romo didn't have any rushing yards? Your arguments get dumber and dumber each day. You must be kind to Keith7 in some way. :cheerl: :ditto:

GUNHO
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow..you really do hate Romo..you say the D was not different...yea they were..they actually forced 3 turnovers..they actually did NOT give up the late 4th Q score like they have in the past. They put Brees under pressure all game. Sorry but that is REALLY different

Yeah,after the missed FG I said here we go again.Going to give up a score in the last 2 min. after the way we have played all game.Boy did they show me.:D

coach
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM
nick folk sucks!

BullsFan
12-21-2009, 02:22 PM
"Bridgeport sucks at basically everything" Barack Obama

Dude, what brought that on?

crzyjournalist03
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Here's something to chew-on for the die-hard Cowboys homers:

If Dallas manages to win their last two games, and if Minnesota loses to Chicago and the Giants to finish out the year, Dallas would earn a first-round bye.

Maroon87
12-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Here's something to chew-on for the die-hard Cowboys homers:

If Dallas manages to win their last two games, and if Minnesota loses to Chicago and the Giants to finish out the year, Dallas would earn a first-round bye.

I could see them losing to the Giants, but not the Bears. They are terrible.

Farmersfan
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Why is this so hard to understand TX????
If played like in the past, Romo and the offense goes 3 and out on their last possession and gives the Saints the ball with 6 minutes left and the Saints drive down for a late 4th quarter touchdown and Dallas loses. But since Dallas kept the ball for those 5 minutes and ran the clock down to 1:30 or so left before Folk misses the FG the defense was able to hold. No defense could have held that offense to no score if they had plenty of time. The defense holds the #1, #6, #12 and #17 offenses to half their game averages in points in the losses and you still blame the defense for it. That's retarded!

crzyjournalist03
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I could see them losing to the Giants, but not the Bears. They are terrible.

In Chicago, at night, where the high for the day will be below freezing, and you've got a team who's used to playing in domes and a 40-year-old quarterback who's struggled mightily in cold weather games the last few seasons.

And on the other side, you've got a Chicago team where coaches and players are fighting for their jobs, and they get a national telecast in a rivalry game. Seems like almost a perfect storm.

Sure, Minnesota should win the game, but I give Chicago a much better chance than I think most people are going to, regardless of what the record says.

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
If played like in the past, Romo and the offense goes 3 and out on their last possession and gives the Saints the ball with 6 minutes left and the Saints drive down for a late 4th quarter touchdown and Dallas loses. But since Dallas kept the ball for those 5 minutes and ran the clock down to 1:30 or so left before Folk misses the FG the defense was able to hold. No defense could have held that offense to no score if they had plenty of time. The defense holds the #1, #6, #12 and #17 offenses to half their game averages in points in the losses and you still blame the defense for it. That's retarded!

No what is funny is how when I show you Romo stats and you call them hollow..Well Dallas not stopping SD in the 4thQ after Dallas tied up with a 99 yd drive makes the Dallas D stats HOLLOW for that game...See how that works?

I really dont blame just the D..but it is a way to show you what I mean when you basically every loss has said it is Romo has the main culprit

Just like Romo needed to step up agianst the Saints..and he did..The Dallas D needed to finally shut down an offense in the last 3 minutes of the game..and they did. See..it all works hand in hand.

statewide
12-22-2009, 01:25 AM

That is a very legitimate point.

statewide
12-22-2009, 01:26 AM
I think we may see the Vikings take the last week off which is not help. The coach is already trying to rest players and has conceded to be the 2nd seed.

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
If played like in the past, Romo and the offense goes 3 and out on their last possession and gives the Saints the ball with 6 minutes left and the Saints drive down for a late 4th quarter touchdown and Dallas loses. But since Dallas kept the ball for those 5 minutes and ran the clock down to 1:30 or so left before Folk misses the FG the defense was able to hold. No defense could have held that offense to no score if they had plenty of time. The defense holds the #1, #6, #12 and #17 offenses to half their game averages in points in the losses and you still blame the defense for it. That's retarded! The problem is if the defense plays well for 55 minutes and then gives up 14 points in the final 5 then they blow the game. In most of our losses the offense had the lead in the fourth quarter and the defense couldn't hold it. you can look at the stats all you want but its the bottom line that counts. The Redskins game the defense was outstanding and saved the offense. With that being said the offense has to play 60 minutes as well and not get conservative with the lead and go three and out and punt. Then they put the defense in that position to win it. The offense needs to take control like the chargers did and run out the clock.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
No what is funny is how when I show you Romo stats and you call them hollow..Well Dallas not stopping SD in the 4thQ after Dallas tied up with a 99 yd drive makes the Dallas D stats HOLLOW for that game...See how that works?

I really dont blame just the D..but it is a way to show you what I mean when you basically every loss has said it is Romo has the main culprit

Just like Romo needed to step up agianst the Saints..and he did..The Dallas D needed to finally shut down an offense in the last 3 minutes of the game..and they did. See..it all works hand in hand.

I understand completely where you are going with this and agree with most of it. If the defense can prevent the opponent from scoring their last TD we win. But if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse everytime he jumped!!! Where I think you lose credibility on your argument is when you seem to be claiming that the defense is at fault because they didn't HOLD for 3 minutes out of the entire 60 minute game and lost when the offense didn't perform for 55 of the 60 minutes. It's a 60 minute game and the offense can take lead late in the game after scoring just 10 or 14 points for one reason and one reason only.......THE DEFENSE!!!!!!
And I blame Romo because ROMO is suppose to be the #1 producer on this team. He either does it himself or he "ENABLES" someone else to do it. He touches the ball twice or three times more often than any other player on the team! Other than the wildcat formation Romo has the ball in his hands on every single Dallas Cowboy play. His decisions, whether good, bad or indifferent, effects the outcome of the game more than any other decision. The coach calls running plays all the time that Romo audiables out of. The coach calls passing plays all the time that Romo cancels in favor of a run. HE HAS MORE EFFECT ON THE GAME THAN EVEN THE COACH DOES!!!!!!(positive or negative). He made enough of the right decisions and the right reads in the Saints game to win. And he executed those decisions on the field.... That has not been the case in the past losses!

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM
The problem is if the defense plays well for 55 minutes and then gives up 14 points in the final 5 then they blow the game. .

They give up 14 points in the final 5 and lose....... why??????

You go into a game against the Chargers knowing that the Chargers offense is #10 in the league in scoring and they average 28 points a game. Any person in their right mind will say that if the defense can hold that team to HALF their normal points they should win. Right? But then your offense comes out and scores HALF their own average and you lose. So the defense holds the other team to HALF their average and your offense scores HALF their own average and you people put the blame for the loss on the defense??????? Give me a break!

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Just like Romo needed to step up agianst the Saints..and he did..The Dallas D needed to finally shut down an offense in the last 3 minutes of the game..and they did. See..it all works hand in hand. [/B]

It's not even close to the SAME thing TX! You are asking the defense to "STEP UP" in the last 3 minutes of the game AFTER they have STEPPED UP for 57 minutes. You are asking the defense to perform for 60 minutes to protect the offense's 3 minutes worth of performance. It's ridiculous!

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 09:53 AM
It's not even close to the SAME thing TX! You are asking the defense to "STEP UP" in the last 3 minutes of the game AFTER they have STEPPED UP for 57 minutes. You are asking the defense to perform for 60 minutes to protect the offense's 3 minutes worth of performance. It's ridiculous!

a good-great defense is supposed to step up in the last 3 minutes no matter how they have played the first 57 minutes.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM
[B]The problem is if the defense plays well for 55 minutes and then gives up 14 points in the final 5 then they blow the game. /B]

Except for the two Giants games, which don't really make any kind of sense, the defense gave up a late score and lost the game to a team that scored 17, 17, and 20 points. Would you feel better if the defense gave up the 17th point in the second quarter instead of the 4th????

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I still think this Cowboys team has the talent to win a Super Bowl, but lacks the discipline and motivation to do so over an entire season. The Saints game proves this point---the Cowboys were motivated as a team to win this game---not just half of them. The Cowboys still have too many players just showing up on game day and collecting big paychecks. As has been discussed a 100 times---Wade's replacement needs to be a motivator and a real butt-kicker backed and left alone by Jerry Jones.

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I still think this Cowboys team has the talent to win a Super Bowl, but lacks the discipline and motivation to do so over an entire season. The Saints game proves this point---the Cowboys were motivated as a team to win this game---not just half of them. The Cowboys still have too many players just showing up on game day and collecting big paychecks. As has been discussed a 100 times---Wade's replacement needs to be a motivator and a real butt-kicker backed and left alone by Jerry Jones.

I agree and disagree lol...If Dallas lacks what you mentioned then it can be said that only the Colts and until this past week the Saints were the only team that has discipline and motivation because they were both unbeaten.

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
NM wrong thread

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Except for the two Giants games, which don't really make any kind of sense, the defense gave up a late score and lost the game to a team that scored 17, 17, and 20 points. Would you feel better if the defense gave up the 17th point in the second quarter instead of the 4th???? But thats the same thing with the offense that faces a great defense. They manage to score 20 points on a team that is giving up 13 and the defense gives it up.Of the five losses you could blame the defense some and the offense. I'm not blaming the defense, I'm just saying we need full games from all the sides defense offense and special teams, Which we got Saturday, except for Folk. Of course it does help that the defense got their CB back so they can do some more pressure schemes without worrying about getting burned.

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree and disagree lol...If Dallas lacks what you mentioned then it can be said that only the Colts and until this past week the Saints were the only team that has discipline and motivation because they were both unbeaten.

Don't know much about the Saints and Colts, TxB---but I have watched the Cowboys a few years and I can tell you that the dedication to task motivation from week to week is sorely lacking in this Cowboys team. The Cowboys teams of the early 90's did not suffer from this condition. I spoke to Norm Bulaich (big name drop :D) about this a few years ago and he felt strongly that most of the modern day players had become overpaid prima donas who had lost all sense of "team" and their only loyalties were to a paycheck.

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
They just need to keep the defense rested and off the field and that will help their performance at the end of the game.

Pick6
12-22-2009, 10:27 AM
He either does it himself or he "ENABLES" someone else to do it.

So it's 3rd and 4. Romo throws a pass to Williams and he drops it. Saints go down and score to win the game, in your way of thinking, atleast everything you've posted, it's Romo's fault they lose the game.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
But thats the same thing with the offense that faces a great defense. They manage to score 20 points on a team that is giving up 13 and the defense gives it up.Of the five losses you could blame the defense some and the offense. I'm not blaming the defense, I'm just saying we need full games from all the sides defense offense and special teams, Which we got Saturday, except for Folk. Of course it does help that the defense got their CB back so they can do some more pressure schemes without worrying about getting burned.

I thought I have already settled this!!!

Except for the two Giants games, the Dallas offense has been BELOW average in every loss. The Defense has been ABOVE average.

Denver gives up 18 per game. Offense scored 10. LOST
Packers give up 20 per game. Offense scored 7. LOST
Chargers give up 20 per game. Offense scored 17. LOST

Denver scores 20 per game. Defense gave up 17.
Packers score 27 per game. defense gave up 17.
Chargers score 28 per game. defense gave up 20.

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Except for the two Giants games, the Dallas offense has been BELOW average in every loss. The Defense has been ABOVE average.

and again u call Romo's stats hollow..I can say Dallas'D stats were just as hollow when they give up the LATE 4th Q scores.

crzyjournalist03
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

I wonder how many field goals Dallas has missed in their losses?

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I wonder how many field goals Dallas has missed in their losses?

Missed one in SD..one in GB( the first drive btw which imo changed that game)

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM
So it's 3rd and 4. Romo throws a pass to Williams and he drops it. Saints go down and score to win the game, in your way of thinking, atleast everything you've posted, it's Romo's fault they lose the game.

I think that depends on what ROMO (and the offense) does the other 60 times the offense runs a play! If the offense hasn't scored enough points to beat the league average against that defense then ONE play doesn't cost them the game. The Offense had 60 other chances to put points on the board and failed those ALSO!!!!!!!!!

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Chargers score 28 per game. defense gave up 20. But how many promising drives were stalled by penalties and dopped passes or sacks because Adams decided to "take a play off"

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
and again u call Romo's stats hollow..I can say Dallas'D stats were just as hollow when they give up the LATE 4th Q scores.

Wow! Sorry Tx! I can't compete with illogical thinking.
Romo moving the ball up and down the field all day without scoring is exactly the same as the defense holding the other teams to fewer points than they normally score. Yea! it's the same!!!! ;)

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder how many field goals Dallas has missed in their losses? At least one each in the last six games

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow! Sorry Tx! I can't compete with illogical thinking.
Romo moving the ball up and down the field all day without scoring is exactly the same as the defense holding the other teams to fewer points than they normally score. Yea! it's the same!!!! ;)

So basically if we give stats showing Romo is playing well you think it is logical for you to say no with stats

BUT if you show stats saying Dallas D is playing well, we cannot do the same thing?

Got it

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
But how many promising drives were stalled by penalties and dopped passes or sacks because Adams decided to "take a play off"

About the same number of promising drives that were stopped for the opponents!!!!!

And FAR less than the number of promising drives that were stopped because of the QB not making a proper read, not making a good throw or simply not seeing a wide open receiver. In a normal game the QB will have at least 20 incomplete passes and if ONE is a drop by a receiver then that leaves 19 that are incomplete for a different reason. We all know all those various reasons! Don't blame a single dropped pass for a lack of performance in a game with 20 or 30 incomplete passes. It makes no sense.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
So basically if we give stats showing Romo is playing well you think it is logical for you to say no with stats

BUT if you show stats saying Dallas D is playing well, we cannot do the same thing?

Got it

There are no stats that show the defense was playing poorly in those losses. That's just the point! All the stats that you can come up with show that the defense performed ABOVE average in those games and the offense performed BELOW average. Those are FACTS that you can't deny. You can ask the defense to hold a good offense to 14 points below their average if you choose to but it is illogical to say they had a poor game if they are only able to hold that offense to 10 points below instead of 14. But is even more illogical to blame them for the loss!

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
About the same number of promising drives that were stopped for the opponents!!!!!

And FAR less than the number of promising drives that were stopped because of the QB not making a proper read, not making a good throw or simply not seeing a wide open receiver. In a normal game the QB will have at least 20 incomplete passes and if ONE is a drop by a receiver then that leaves 19 that are incomplete for a different reason. We all know all those various reasons! Don't blame a single dropped pass for a lack of performance in a game with 20 or 30 incomplete passes. It makes no sense. When has romo had 20 or 30 incomplete passes?

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
There are no stats that show the defense was playing poorly in those losses. That's just the point! All the stats that you can come up with show that the defense performed ABOVE average in those games and the offense performed BELOW average. Those are FACTS that you can't deny. You can ask the defense to hold a good offense to 14 points below their average if you choose to but it is illogical to say they had a poor game if they are only able to hold that offense to 10 points below instead of 14. But is even more illogical to blame them for the loss! So what if the defense average sucks, that doesnt mean they played good it just means they played better than average

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
The Cowboys have not lost a game by more than 10 points so far this season. Somebody is playing some defense, sometime.

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
The Cowboys have not lost a game by more than 10 points so far this season. Somebody is playing some defense, sometime. I'm not saying that, It was hypathetical

Bullaholic
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not saying that, It was hypathetical

I was making more of a general observation than a reply, GrT.

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I was making more of a general observation than a reply, GrT. Oh ok, after I posted that i thought someone might take it wrong.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
When has romo had 20 or 30 incomplete passes?

This too was just a generalization. Not directed about just Romo. Any QB will have at least 40% of his passes go incomplete. So 4 out of every ten are either thrown poorly, a poor decision made or a great defensive play. At least half of those will simply be bad passes or bad decisions and yet people will blame a single dropped pass for the loss. What if the QB simply completes one of those incomplete passes???? See the futility of that thinking? The QB has to be held twice or three times more accountable than anyone else on the team for a lack of production. What if a RB was handed the ball 20 times in a game and 8 of those runs he just drops to the ground at the line without being tackled? That would be equal to a QB making a bad throw on 4 out of every 10 attempts. You accept one but would NEVER accept the other.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
So what if the defense average sucks, that doesnt mean they played good it just means they played better than average

I don't understand what you meant by this GrTigers6? Playing better than average is "Good" by anyones measure. If 14 teams this season gave up 35 points to the Saints and the Dallas defense holds them to 17, then isn't that a "Good" defensive effort?????

If 14 teams this season scores 20 points on Green Bay and Dallas scores only 7 then wouldn't that also be considered a "BAD" performance????

crzyjournalist03
12-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't understand what you meant by this GrTigers6? Playing better than average is "Good" by anyones measure. If 14 teams this season gave up 35 points to the Saints and the Dallas defense holds them to 17, then isn't that a "Good" defensive effort?????

If 14 teams this season scores 20 points on Green Bay and Dallas scores only 7 then wouldn't that also be considered a "BAD" performance????

But when New Orleans had a big lead, wouldn't any points that they scored become "hollow" points after the second or third quarters?

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I think that there are 2 or 3 people on here who just can not let the cowboys get away with a win without bashing some minor detail to the ground...kinda like aggie fans do to Texas when they win ;)

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
This too was just a generalization. Not directed about just Romo. Any QB will have at least 40% of his passes go incomplete. So 4 out of every ten are either thrown poorly, a poor decision made or a great defensive play. At least half of those will simply be bad passes or bad decisions and yet people will blame a single dropped pass for the loss. What if the QB simply completes one of those incomplete passes???? See the futility of that thinking? The QB has to be held twice or three times more accountable than anyone else on the team for a lack of production. What if a RB was handed the ball 20 times in a game and 8 of those runs he just drops to the ground at the line without being tackled? That would be equal to a QB making a bad throw on 4 out of every 10 attempts. You accept one but would NEVER accept the other. ok I miss understood what you were saying. on the other I was just saying that playing better than average doesnt mean that they are playing well enough to win. On that note the defense has been the one constant this season with exception of a few games ( Giants). But the defense can help the offense by making stops early so the field position is better or turnovers, As can the offense help the defense by having sustained drives to give the defense a rest. or give the defense an opportunity to pin them deep in their own territory. So basically what i'm saying is for this team to win we need both to play well, as they did Saturday.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
But when New Orleans had a big lead, wouldn't any points that they scored become "hollow" points after the second or third quarters?

So what is your point??

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 02:25 PM
ok I miss understood what you were saying. on the other I was just saying that playing better than average doesnt mean that they are playing well enough to win. On that note the defense has been the one constant this season with exception of a few games ( Giants). But the defense can help the offense by making stops early so the field position is better or turnovers, As can the offense help the defense by having sustained drives to give the defense a rest. or give the defense an opportunity to pin them deep in their own territory. So basically what i'm saying is for this team to win we need both to play well, as they did Saturday.

If the offense simply scores the SAME as every other team in the league scores against these teams the Cowboys are 12-2 right now. That's all I've been saying.

crzyjournalist03
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
So what is your point??

apples and apples. Empty stats are empty stats.

If the Saints regularly put up 35 points in a game with a bunch of them coming when the game is out of reach, their offensive numbers are no more valuable than Dallas' late scores with games out of reach.

And how many of New Orleans' points have come from special teams/defense? A heck of a lot. So it's kind of hard to evaluate averages when you're leaving out variables.

If you use hard and fast numbers for defensive stats, then you have to use hard and fast numbers for offensive stats.

And here's what those offensive stats will tell you:

Tony Romo is a top-ten quarterback in this league right now.

Ranger Mom
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
What a silly argument!!:doh:

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM
No Tony Romo is not a top ten QB...hes a top 5 :D I would take him over Brett and Tom any day

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What a silly argument!!:doh: I think many would agree...but 90% of the arguments on the site are silly or wasted energy lol

GrTigers6
12-22-2009, 02:39 PM
What a silly argument!!:doh: What else is there to talk about lol:D

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
No Tony Romo is not a top ten QB...hes a top 5 :D I would take him over Brett and Tom any day

No he isn't! Wanna argue about it?:mad:

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
No he isn't! Wanna argue about it?:mad: Sure do you wanna start a new thread or stay on this one?

Sweetwater Red
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Sure do you wanna start a new thread or stay on this one?

Damn! You called my bluff!:D

1. Drew Brees
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Tom Brady
5. Brett Favre
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Donovan McNabb
9. Kurt Warner
10. Tony Romo

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
apples and apples. Empty stats are empty stats.

If the Saints regularly put up 35 points in a game with a bunch of them coming when the game is out of reach, their offensive numbers are no more valuable than Dallas' late scores with games out of reach.

And how many of New Orleans' points have come from special teams/defense? A heck of a lot. So it's kind of hard to evaluate averages when you're leaving out variables.

If you use hard and fast numbers for defensive stats, then you have to use hard and fast numbers for offensive stats.

And here's what those offensive stats will tell you:

Tony Romo is a top-ten quarterback in this league right now.

I believe we have already addressed all this. Dallas is 9-5 right now and 3 of the 5 losses were due to the offense badly underacheiving. I am debating that Romo is a large part of that failure and others are attempting (and failing) to prove otherwise. I don't really know what all this other stuff you are talking about has to do with anything. We use averages because it is near impossible to take all variables into account. Regardless of HOW the Saints score their points it is still a fact that they average 35 points per game and were not ALLOWED to score that many against the Dallas defense. And regardless of how the other teams that played the Packers scored their points it is still a FACT that they scored an average of 20 points but the Dallas offense managed only 7..................Get it?

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I believe we have already addressed all this. Dallas is 9-5 right now and 3 of the 5 losses were due to the offense badly underacheiving. I am debating that Romo is a large part of that failure and others are attempting (and failing) to prove otherwise. I don't really know what all this other stuff you are talking about has to do with anything. We use averages because it is near impossible to take all variables into account. Regardless of HOW the Saints score their points it is still a fact that they average 35 points per game and were not ALLOWED to score that many against the Dallas defense. And regardless of how the other teams that played the Packers scored their points it is still a FACT that they scored an average of 20 points but the Dallas offense managed only 7..................Get it?

The fact is our D has kept us in all the games except one.

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
What a silly argument!!:doh:

If the "Masses" decide they tire of this I will gladly step off Mom! I think I have proven my point well enough. This helps me pass my day and it lets me talk about the thing that is nearest and dearest to my heart.... Getting the Cowboys back to the greatness they once were!!!!!

LE Dad
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
:eek: :eek:

WOW!! :1popcorn:

Ranger Mom
12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
If the "Masses" decide they tire of this I will gladly step off Mom! I think I have proven my point well enough. This helps me pass my day and it lets me talk about the thing that is nearest and dearest to my heart.... Getting the Cowboys back to the greatness they once were!!!!!

I wish I had nothing better to do than argue with a bunch of men on a football board 2 days before Christmas!!:D

PPSTATEBOUND
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
As a cowgirl lover I cain't wait for another 1 and done from this fine franchise.:inlove:

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I wish I had nothing better to do than argue with a bunch of men on a football board 2 days before Christmas!!:D

I wish I had something BETTER to do!!!!!!! You and this 3ADL is like the illegal drug coursing through my veins demanding my daily fix. So in reality all this is YOUR fault...............

Farmersfan
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
OK! You made me self conscience. I will go do some work. I have to meet the delivery truck so they can deliver the livingroom suite that I somehow got wrangled into purchasing for the wife for Christmas.............. See everyone! Keep up the good fight.

OldBison75
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
It amazes me that the very same people that will brag on thier high school teams all year about thier stats and play will get on this type thread and consistently gripe about the same type stats the Boys put up.

FACTS: There are 60 minutes in every pro game.
There are 11 players on defense and offense each play.
If both sides of the ball execute on every play, there
would be alot of very low scoring games.
Most successful plays are the result of one or more team
members making a superior move or effort,
Every play is drawn on the board to be a touchdown, but,
most are not because of the effort of someone on the
opposing defense.
Every play depends on the one on one matchups that
played out on the line of scrimmage, followed by the
matchups behind and beyond the line.
Pursuit angles, tackling, field vision, and judgement cause
more variations in the outcome of a play than the
play that is called.
It takes 11 players on the offense to execute
if a play is gonna be successful most of the
time.
It takes 11 players on defense to execute to
stop most plays.

I could go on and on, but the point is that a individual player very seldom is the total key to the success, or failure of a team to win. In the 100 or so plays during the game, individual mistakes and failures happen on every play, some are glaring and result in bad results. Likewise, there are great efforts on every play and they sometimes result in a successful play. BUT, no one individual can be held as totally responsible for a win or loss. If that was the case, put that dude on the field by himself and let him play, so no one else can screw up his game. I guarantee you that a player of Romo's ability can pick apart any defense if he is given an eternity to pick out a receiver and make a throw, but there are 21 other players on the field that have a say in that play and sometimes, face it, **** happens. With the exception of maybe Peyton Manning, I will still take Romo over most other QB's in the NFL. He may make some bad passes and decisions sometimes, but how many passes have you seen his receivers drop when it was a catachable ball. His completion percentage would be much higher if Williams and crew would have caught half of those throws and numerous drives would not have stalled.

NateDawg39
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Damn! You called my bluff!:D

1. Drew Brees
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Peyton Manning
4. Tom Brady
5. Brett Favre
6. Ben Roethlisberger
7. Aaron Rodgers
8. Donovan McNabb
9. Kurt Warner
10. Tony Romo

1 Peyton Manning
2 Drew Brees
3 Big Ben
4 Tony Romo
5 Tom Brady
6 Kurt Warner
7 Phillip Rivers
8 Brett Favre
9 Donovan McNabb
10 Kevin Kolb ;)

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Opinions needed: Please try to be objective. Romosexuals not invited!

Is this situation with Romo in Dallas a circumstance where the QB made the team better or did the TEAM make the QB better??? I think the fact that Romo was third or worst on the depth chart until the team was loaded up with talent by Parcels speaks volumes. Perhaps I will be proven wrong some day but I would almost bet that if Romo was moved to 75% of the teams in the league he would fail miserably. But they could win just as well with 20 other QBs playing for this team.
What do you think?

Pick6
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM

What do you think?

I think you're what we can't call people anymore on here.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I think you're what we can't call people anymore on here.

What part of Objective and Romosexual do you not understand????

LE Dad
12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Can I agree with everyone:confused: Ya'll have all presented good arguments and I can see both points of view. There probably are much better QBs than Romo just as there are much worse. The bottom line is that the Cowboys must find a way to use him in a way to win these next 2 to build some more confidence. I posted earlier that the Cowboys needed to win 1 out of these first 3 and then close out with 2 victories. They are on course to do just that. Either because of or in spite of Romo, depending on your view:D

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Is this situation with Romo in Dallas a circumstance where the QB made the team better or did the TEAM make the QB better??? I think the fact that Romo was third or worst on the depth chart until the team was loaded up with talent by Parcels speaks volumes. Perhaps I will be proven wrong some day but I would almost bet that if Romo was moved to 75% of the teams in the league he would fail miserably. But they could win just as well with 20 other QBs playing for this team.
What do you think?

I think that approximately 22-25 quarterbacks in the league would make the team worse.

Their number one wide receiver is an undrafted free agent. Their number one running back was a mid-round pick who has had only 1 above average season. Their third wide receiver is an undrafted rookie free agent. Their offensive line is made up of players that were let go by their former teams for underperforming. Leonard Davis was considered a major bust in Arizona; Kyle Kosier was allowed to leave Detroit despite the Lions having no semblance of an O-Line; Marc Colombo was let go from Chicago for being far too inconsistent and injury-prone.

Replace Romo with an "average" quarterback in the NFL like Kyle Orton, David Garrard, or Jason Campell who currently sit right in the middle of starters in terms of passer rating, and Dallas is a 6-10 team this year.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Can I agree with everyone:confused: Ya'll have all presented good arguments and I can see both points of view. There probably are much better QBs than Romo just as there are much worse. The bottom line is that the Cowboys must find a way to use him in a way to win these next 2 to build some more confidence. I posted earlier that the Cowboys needed to win 1 out of these first 3 and then close out with 2 victories. They are on course to do just that. Either because of or in spite of Romo, depending on your view:D

Why aren't you a "Glass is Half full type guy"????? :D :D :D

If I wanted Cutezy and Darling answers I would talk with my wife!!!!!(God Forbid).
This is a MAN'S forum and MEN argue! That's what we do. Scratch, Spit and Argue! Geez! Read a book sometime......

:devil:

BreckTxLonghorn
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM

What do you think?

I think at the beginning of Romo's stint as starter the latter was definitely true. He was 'green' as a pro QB, and having such a talented team around him definitely made the transition easier. I think now, though, as he gains more and more experience, he's a true value to the team, definitely one of the key cogs in the machine, and one of the better QBs in the league.

I can't take him being the 3rd QB as a reason to discount him. Many QBs may never have been had it not been for an odd reason to move them up the depth chart. Tom Brady would have never seen the field had Bledsoe not broke his sternum. Jeff Hostetler would have never been a starter for a Super Bowl team, and eventually the named starter had Phil Simms never been hurt. Even the hot QB hand of Vince Young wouldn't have seen the field this year if not for the early season woes of the Titans (Remember, he was battling for 3rd string in the offseason, and some say he was put 2nd simply for salary. And even in such a bad start, Fisher refused to start him until their 7th game when Bud Adams demanded it). The difference in Romo's case is the Cowboys weren't laying a stink bomb the year he came in; they just couldn't get started on offense, and his style of play (scrambler, youthful, hurler) fit the players on offense better. Parcells CHOSE him to start, not handed it to him after an injury.

Also, whil you don't want 'Romosexuals', saying that he would hurt 75% of the other teams is a little exaggerated, maybe even a little 'Romo Haterade'? The guy's not the second coming of Manning or even a young Favre, but he gives this team the best chance to when, and more importantly, the team believes that as well. As long as the team and the coaching staff have faith in him, and he doesn't completely fall apart (which he really has not this season), I think he's the best option and he makes the team better.

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I think that approximately 22-25 quarterbacks in the league would make the team worse.

Their number one wide receiver is an undrafted free agent. Their number one running back was a mid-round pick who has had only 1 above average season. Their third wide receiver is an undrafted rookie free agent. Their offensive line is made up of players that were let go by their former teams for underperforming. Leonard Davis was considered a major bust in Arizona; Kyle Kosier was allowed to leave Detroit despite the Lions having no semblance of an O-Line; Marc Colombo was let go from Chicago for being far too inconsistent and injury-prone.

Replace Romo with an "average" quarterback in the NFL like Kyle Orton, David Garrard, or Jason Campell who currently sit right in the middle of starters in terms of passer rating, and Dallas is a 6-10 team this year.

ding ding ding We have a winner

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 11:35 AM

When the Cowboys had the kind of talent that Kyle Orton, David Garrard or Jason Cambell plays with, Romo could not get a minutes worth of playing time and was even going to be cut in favor of QB's like Quincy, Hutchinson and Leaf!!!!
In 06' the Cowboys were 4-3 with Bledsoe as the starter and went 6-4 with Romo as the starter. That's a 1 game improvement over a QB that is generally accepted as a flop in Dallas. They continued to add talent after talent after talent until the Cowboys are favored by most to compete for a Superbowl every single season but fail. My question still stands: If Romo is talented enough to play on a poor team then why was he overlooked in favor of the likes of Hutchinson, Carter, Bledsoe and Ryan Leaf????

BreckTxLonghorn
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
My question still stands: If Romo is talented enough to play on a poor team then why was he overlooked in favor of the likes of Hutchinson, Carter, Bledsoe and Ryan Leaf????

Other than the obvious Bledsoe answer (he replaced Bledsoe, so really he earned the job, he just had to overtake Bledsoe's reputation), I'm gonna answer this question with a question.

If Romo poor in comparison, how come all those players were cut or forced into retirement, and he able to stay on the team? It's not like those were big money players.

Maroon87
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
FWIW...I vote TXB vs. Farmersfan as Rivalry of the Year.:kiss:

OldBison75
12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I love the comments about all the talent that the Cowboys have brought in. I see a once talented group on the offensive line that is now past thier prime in some cases, others were problems where they were before. In the backfield, Barber has shown a toughness that endears him to many, Jones has never lived up to the hype he demanded when drafted. Roy Williams is not a #1 receiver now and has never been--drops too many passes.

I did a little research and found that on 51 occasions, this year alone, the Cowboys were in third and short situations (less than 3 yards), and an illegal motion penalty has cost them field position and the option of running for a first down. This places any QB in tough situations because the defense knows what is coming. Romo has converted 29 of those situations into first downs. I bet there are not 3 other QB's in the league that can top that percentage.

It seems to me that all the "talent" they have brought in has been as much of the offensive problems of the offense as the QB has. Romo is not my favorite QB either, but he is far better than some of the other options we have had in the past several years. Is he capable of winning a super bowl, yes. Will he, who knows. But, with the reality that his suppose to be # 1 receiver being just an average NFL receiver, and an aging offensive line, with a running game that is inconsistent most of the time, if he does lead them to that game, he should be praised as a god.

Haters will never see this, but, Romo is a top ten QB in the league and if he had the talents of a top running back and a real top receiver, he would be top three.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I think at the beginning of Romo's stint as starter the latter was definitely true. He was 'green' as a pro QB, and having such a talented team around him definitely made the transition easier. I think now, though, as he gains more and more experience, he's a true value to the team, definitely one of the key cogs in the machine, and one of the better QBs in the league.

I can't take him being the 3rd QB as a reason to discount him. Many QBs may never have been had it not been for an odd reason to move them up the depth chart. Tom Brady would have never seen the field had Bledsoe not broke his sternum. Jeff Hostetler would have never been a starter for a Super Bowl team, and eventually the named starter had Phil Simms never been hurt. Even the hot QB hand of Vince Young wouldn't have seen the field this year if not for the early season woes of the Titans (Remember, he was battling for 3rd string in the offseason, and some say he was put 2nd simply for salary. And even in such a bad start, Fisher refused to start him until their 7th game when Bud Adams demanded it). The difference in Romo's case is the Cowboys weren't laying a stink bomb the year he came in; they just couldn't get started on offense, and his style of play (scrambler, youthful, hurler) fit the players on offense better. Parcells CHOSE him to start, not handed it to him after an injury.

Also, whil you don't want 'Romosexuals', saying that he would hurt 75% of the other teams is a little exaggerated, maybe even a little 'Romo Haterade'? The guy's not the second coming of Manning or even a young Favre, but he gives this team the best chance to when, and more importantly, the team believes that as well. As long as the team and the coaching staff have faith in him, and he doesn't completely fall apart (which he really has not this season), I think he's the best option and he makes the team better.

Haterade????? That's a good one. I have not heard it before. But I don't hate Romo. I want him to take the boys to the promise land.
Ever hear the saying that "where there is smoke there is fire"??? How about "All stereotypes are founded in truths"????

The simply fact that so many people question ROMO means there is "fire" somewhere. Most of the people who are constantly calling out Romo are Cowboy fans. Cowboy haters aren't obsessed with QBs that hurt the team they hate! It is all the Cowboy fans out there who have looked at this team and have looked for a viable reason for the team's struggles that you label Haterade! Most of you claim Romo would be a top 5 or top 10 QB in the NFL. Less say top 10:

What do Manning, Brees, Schaub, Rogers, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Favre, and Warner all have in common? These are what might be the OTHER 9 top 10 QBs in the NFL and NONE of them have the kind of love/hate following from their fans that Romo has. "Where there is smoke, there is fire"!!!!!!!!

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
When the Cowboys had the kind of talent that Kyle Orton, David Garrard or Jason Cambell plays with, Romo could not get a minutes worth of playing time and was even going to be cut in favor of QB's like Quincy, Hutchinson and Leaf!!!!
In 06' the Cowboys were 4-3 with Bledsoe as the starter and went 6-4 with Romo as the starter. That's a 1 game improvement over a QB that is generally accepted as a flop in Dallas. They continued to add talent after talent after talent until the Cowboys are favored by most to compete for a Superbowl every single season but fail. My question still stands: If Romo is talented enough to play on a poor team then why was he overlooked in favor of the likes of Hutchinson, Carter, Bledsoe and Ryan Leaf????

I think you're forgetting some of the timing of Romo's career factually.

Leaf was gone before Romo even entered the league. Quincy went 10-6 in Romo's rookie year (2003) with Romo as an undrafted free agent and Hutchinson as the backup.

Parcells then brought in Vinny Testaverde as one of "his guys" for the next season and Romo continued to develop and passed Drew Henson for the #2 spot in December.

In 2005, Drew Bledsoe came in after having his job taken by Tom Brady. Another "Parcells guy" who at this point was still considered a very good quarterback. He failed in his first year, and by the middle of the next year, Romo had taken his job from him. Romo is one bobbled hold away that year from the team's first playoff victory in a decade, and was six inches short of a first down after the bobble. Tough break.

In 2007, Romo leads the team to a 13-3 record and a #1 seed before they are upset in the playoffs (for the record, no #1 seed in the NFC has made the Super Bowl in this decade...not an excuse, but perhaps not making the Super Bowl that year isn't as egregious as some believe).

In 2008, Romo breaks his finger and goes 8-5 as a starter while Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger blow very winnable games. If Romo doesn't break his finger, the Cowboys make the playoffs again, and they at least have the opportunity to break the playoff losing streak.

Looks like a pretty steady development to me, and a plan that several teams with successful quarterbacks have used by keeping a young guy on the bench to learn for 2-3 years (Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, etc.)

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Other than the obvious Bledsoe answer (he replaced Bledsoe, so really he earned the job, he just had to overtake Bledsoe's reputation), I'm gonna answer this question with a question.

If Romo poor in comparison, how come all those players were cut or forced into retirement, and he able to stay on the team? It's not like those were big money players.

None of those players were getting it done. But isn't this what the entire discussion is founded on? Is Romo getting it done?
9-7, 13-3, 9-7, 9-5 as of now. With the talent on this team I think the record speaks for itself. You can chose to blame OTHER things but many, many people see it differently.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM

The simply fact that so many people question ROMO means there is "fire" somewhere. Most of the people who are constantly calling out Romo are Cowboy fans.

As a complete aside...and I want to be clear that this is not directed at any particular poster on this board, but Cowboys "fans" as a whole are honestly some of the dumbest fans in the world.

Because of the team's popularity, there are millions of people who couldn't name five players on the current roster but claim that they're Cowboys fans. They all have bring up the same things when talking about the team, even when their particular argument is something that was an issue on the team 10 years ago.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
None of those players were getting it done. But isn't this what the entire discussion is founded on? Is Romo getting it done?
9-7, 13-3, 9-7, 9-5 as of now. With the talent on this team I think the record speaks for itself. You can chose to blame OTHER things but many, many people see it differently.

Did you know that Tony Romo currently has the 4th-best career winning percentage among active quarterbacks in the NFL? The only ones that are higher are Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, and Peyton Manning.

Your numbers are off there again...the team was 10-6 that first year (Romo was 6-3), and that 9-7 year, last year, he was 8-5.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Haterade????? That's a good one. I have not heard it before. But I don't hate Romo. I want him to take the boys to the promise land.
Ever hear the saying that "where there is smoke there is fire"??? How about "All stereotypes are founded in truths"????

The simply fact that so many people question ROMO means there is "fire" somewhere. Most of the people who are constantly calling out Romo are Cowboy fans. Cowboy haters aren't obsessed with QBs that hurt the team they hate! It is all the Cowboy fans out there who have looked at this team and have looked for a viable reason for the team's struggles that you label Haterade! Most of you claim Romo would be a top 5 or top 10 QB in the NFL. Less say top 10:

What do Manning, Brees, Schaub, Rogers, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Favre, and Warner all have in common? These are what might be the OTHER 9 top 10 QBs in the NFL and NONE of them have the kind of love/hate following from their fans that Romo has. "Where there is smoke, there is fire"!!!!!!!!

Haterade was more of a joke/play on words to counter romosexual. I'll make two quick thoughts/points and let you all on your merry way.

--I listen to a lot of talk radio, read analysis online, and try to watch as much pregame shows as I can (though I stay on NFL network more than others). I can honestly say the only times I've heard constant criticism of Romo is on this board. Every pregame show last week, when talking about the Cowboys swoon, said you can't put it on Romo this time.

--Go listen to Houston talk radio - you'd hear a different story on Schaub; and many pundits criticized Favre over the past few years with Green Bay, and especially the Jets (remember his arm basically falling off as the Jets lose 4 of the last 5?). If he looks rusty in a cold weather game on Monday, and they lose, you will hear the murmurs I guarantee it.

Sometimes where there is smoke, there's just smoke bombs set to cloud vision.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
As a complete aside...and I want to be clear that this is not directed at any particular poster on this board, but Cowboys "fans" as a whole are honestly some of the dumbest fans in the world.

Because of the team's popularity, there are millions of people who couldn't name five players on the current roster but claim that they're Cowboys fans. They all have bring up the same things when talking about the team, even when their particular argument is something that was an issue on the team 10 years ago.

And of course this is a very convenient dismissal of ALL who disagree with your opinion.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
And of course this is a very convenient dismissal of ALL who disagree with your opinion.

No, I'm not dimissing everybody, but there is a large faction of "fans" that I do dismiss.

C'mon, you have to admit that you know plenty of people who call themselves "fans" that obviously don't know anything about the team but want to seem like they do so they blurt out the same things.

Emerson1
12-23-2009, 01:22 PM
No, I'm not dimissing everybody, but there is a large faction of "fans" that I do dismiss.

C'mon, you have to admit that you know plenty of people who call themselves "fans" that obviously don't know anything about the team but want to seem like they do so they blurt out the same things.
These are the same people who want to get rid of Romo and draft a QB and just think all will be fine and the super bowl will just magically appear.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Did you know that Tony Romo currently has the 4th-best career winning percentage among active quarterbacks in the NFL? The only ones that are higher are Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, and Peyton Manning.

Your numbers are off there again...the team was 10-6 that first year (Romo was 6-3), and that 9-7 year, last year, he was 8-5.

In 2006 the Cowboys ended the season with a 9-8 record if you count the playoff loss to Seattle.(9-7 without it). Bledsoe and Romo each played a half in the Giants loss so I will give that loss to Bledsoe. That means Bledsoe went 3-3 and Romo went 6-5 that season. If you give Romo the loss to the Giants then Romo went 6-6.....

2006= Romo fumbles snap on FG to lose in playoffs.
2007= Romo throws int. in endzone to lose playoff game to Giants with 30 seconds left in the game.
2008= Dallas must beat Philly to even make the playoffs and Romo passes for just 183 yards, fumbles twice, throws 1 int and is 0/4 in the Redzone for the game. Romo's QB rating was in the 50's for that game.
2009= Care to hazard a guess?????

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Of course there are! But not any more than any other team in the league. You discounted my original statement about "smoke and fire" with a statement about how many Cowboy fans were morons...............

But really the thing about "Dismissing" other fans is that you demonstrate a great deal of arrogance when you presume to judge them wrong enough to dismiss them. There IS the possibility that THEY could be correct and you are the one who should be dismissed!!!!!
I'm not saying that about you but simply putting that idea out there for others to consider!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Sorry! couldn't resist.

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
These are the same people who want to get rid of Romo and draft a QB and just think all will be fine and the super bowl will just magically appear.

I would prefer that Romo get it done and shut us all up once and for all. But history has a way of repeating itself and that does not bode well for my beloved Romo lead Cowboys............ *sign, I guess I can continue to hope!!!!!!

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 02:13 PM
In 2006 the Cowboys ended the season with a 9-8 record if you count the playoff loss to Seattle.(9-7 without it). Bledsoe and Romo each played a half in the Giants loss so I will give that loss to Bledsoe. That means Bledsoe went 3-3 and Romo went 6-5 that season. If you give Romo the loss to the Giants then Romo went 6-6.....

2006= Romo fumbles snap on FG to lose in playoffs.
2007= Romo throws int. in endzone to lose playoff game to Giants with 30 seconds left in the game.
2008= Dallas must beat Philly to even make the playoffs and Romo passes for just 183 yards, fumbles twice, throws 1 int and is 0/4 in the Redzone for the game. Romo's QB rating was in the 50's for that game.
2009= Care to hazard a guess?????

Sorry...you're right on the 2006...so Romo was 6-4 during the regular season compared to 3-3 from Bledsoe

2007: Patrick Crayton drops easy touchdown before Romo interception.

2008: Everybody stunk. Romo could have thrown for 400 yards and 3 scores and they still would have lost. He's absolutely to blame for a lot of it, but the defense and the rest of the team were awful as well. But remember, if he doesn't get hurt two months earlier, that game is ultimately meaningless.

I'll remind everybody again that Peyton Manning lost his first four playoff games before doing anything. Just because Romo hasn't been at his best at the end in the past doesn't mean that he won't be at his best right now and moving forward.

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Of course there are! But not any more than any other team in the league. You discounted my original statement about "smoke and fire" with a statement about how many Cowboy fans were morons...............

But really the thing about "Dismissing" other fans is that you demonstrate a great deal of arrogance when you presume to judge them wrong enough to dismiss them. There IS the possibility that THEY could be correct and you are the one who should be dismissed!!!!!
I'm not saying that about you but simply putting that idea out there for others to consider!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Sorry! couldn't resist.

Ok...so I'm exuding arrogance by dismissing the opinion of a "fan" who probably has watched one quarter of football in the last year.

Let them dismiss me if they choose. I don't give a care. That doesn't mean that they're right when they tell me that the Cowboys would be better off if Jerry Jones would just fire Bill Parcells. (And I'm speaking of that as something that I've heard THIS season.)

Farmersfan
12-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Sorry...you're right on the 2006...so Romo was 6-4 during the regular season compared to 3-3 from Bledsoe

2007: Patrick Crayton drops easy touchdown before Romo interception.

2008: Everybody stunk. Romo could have thrown for 400 yards and 3 scores and they still would have lost. He's absolutely to blame for a lot of it, but the defense and the rest of the team were awful as well. But remember, if he doesn't get hurt two months earlier, that game is ultimately meaningless.

I'll remind everybody again that Peyton Manning lost his first four playoff games before doing anything. Just because Romo hasn't been at his best at the end in the past doesn't mean that he won't be at his best right now and moving forward.

Are you saying Romo is Peyton Manning????? :D :D :D

I know you aren't! I'm just being a pain.

But you do understand that it makes ZERO sense to bring up Manning as an example of what Romo could become? There are 1000 examples that prove the exact opposite is likely to happen with Romo!!!!!

I have to go take care of a few tasks shortly so if I don't visit with all you before the holiday then Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a very satisfing new year! Stay safe and remember the golden rule......................

Never question the Zohan........(I mean Farmersfan)!

crzyjournalist03
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
I have to go take care of a few tasks shortly so if I don't visit with all you before the holiday then Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a very satisfing new year! Stay safe and remember the golden rule......................

Never question the Zohan........(I mean Farmersfan)!

What the?

What are you talking about?

Txbroadcaster already declared me the winner of this thread about 30 posts ago.

:p :hand: