PDA

View Full Version : Charges dropped against DJ Monroe

Z-RO
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2009/12/18/monroes_dwi_cas.html

Old Tiger
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
This improves the special teams A LOT.

Gobbla2001
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Good deal, d-dubya-ooblies (as my sheriff's deputy pal calls 'em) suck!

Never kept up with this story, but it looks like he didn't blow when he got downtown... thinkin' after previous incidents the Longhorn orientation has added a chapter on not doing circus-tricks and blowin' for cops...

My buddy has had one DWI out of the many he's given dismissed/dropped... after my friend asked a man (who smelled of alcohol) to step out of the car, the man kindly said "I'd appreciate it if you just take me to jail"...

No failed field-sobriety test, didn't look drunk on camera and never blew... he just drove funny on camera...

DDBooger
12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Good deal, d-dubya-ooblies (as my sheriff's deputy pal calls 'em) suck!

Never kept up with this story, but it looks like he didn't blow when he got downtown... thinkin' after previous incidents the Longhorn orientation has added a chapter on not doing circus-tricks and blowin' for cops...

My buddy has had one DWI out of the many he's given dismissed/dropped... after my friend asked a man (who smelled of alcohol) to step out of the car, the man kindly said "I'd appreciate it if you just take me to jail"...

No failed field-sobriety test, didn't look drunk on camera and never blew... he just drove funny on camera... I believe they're trying to get around that with blood tests you can't refuse. There is an obvious civil liberty issue, don't know if it's being played out in court right now.

Gobbla2001
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I believe they're trying to get around that with blood tests you can't refuse. There is an obvious civil liberty issue, don't know if it's being played out in court right now.

I can't remember if it was July 4th or Labor Day whatever, but there were some counties around the state doing the mandatory blood tests (believe it was a one-weekend deal, haven't kept up with it)... guess they gotta strap you down...

BTW, you always have the option of having your blood drawn instead of blowing into the machine at the jail (roadside blow-tests are not held up in court)... they say having the blood drawn is the most accurate (obviously since it's BLOOD alcohol content)...

Another thing about the machines, stations are required to have the blow-machine calibrated monthly... that's another way around it... you can still be given a DWI based on the results of your field-sobriety test... but if you pass the FST and fail the blow-machine, the first thing a good attorney (if you chose to have one) will do is check the machine's calibration records... outside of a month and that blow-test will not stand up in court...

ronwx5x
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Isn't the real question how do we get impaired drivers off the road? Civil liberties? How about my civil liberty to be protected from people who should not be driving? If a blood test is definitive, I have no problem making it mandatory. I don't drive drunk and neither should anyone else. It's that simple.

I have never been a liberal voter but drunk drivers make me very upset and I get even more upset when they get away with it by hiring an attorney who knows how to get them off. I read too often about people who are the cause of accidents but have multiple DWI/DUI offenses on their record.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I believe they're trying to get around that with blood tests you can't refuse. There is an obvious civil liberty issue, don't know if it's being played out in court right now.

Hopefully he can take it as a lesson and get his stuff together.

Gobbla2001
12-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I read too often about people who are the cause of accidents but have multiple DWI/DUI offenses on their record.

you do read that, but as part of a class I learned the majority of DWI-related accidents in Texas include drivers without a previous history of DWI... interesting statistic I have to say...

ronwx5x
12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
you do read that, but as part of a class I learned the majority of DWI-related accidents in Texas include drivers without a previous history of DWI... interesting statistic I have to say...

That's certainly no reason to make it acceptable to drive drunk. And I wonder how many of those who have no previous record actually got off by hiring the right attorney? In other words, they should have a record but got off.

Gobbla2001
12-18-2009, 07:26 PM
That's certainly no reason to make it acceptable to drive drunk. And I wonder how many of those who have no previous record actually got off by hiring the right attorney? In other words, they should have a record but got off.

simma down now... never said it was acceptable, just presenting a statistic I thought people would find interesting...

if you can get off of a DWI, by all means get off... costs too damn much in a lot of different ways for a mistake you made while you were drunk (because everyone makes the best possible decisions when they're drunk)...

Gobbla2001
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
And I wonder how many of those who have no previous record actually got off by hiring the right attorney? In other words, they should have a record but got off.

And that's actually a great question... believe that would be an interesting statistic as well...

my guess? not many... Texas is verrrrry strict when it comes to prosecuting drunk drivers... I'd also guess that not many first-time DWI'rs were aware of the "no walkin'-no blowing" loop-hole...

Old Tiger
12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Isn't the real question how do we get impaired drivers off the road? Civil liberties? How about my civil liberty to be protected from people who should not be driving? If a blood test is definitive, I have no problem making it mandatory. I don't drive drunk and neither should anyone else. It's that simple.

I have never been a liberal voter but drunk drivers make me very upset and I get even more upset when they get away with it by hiring an attorney who knows how to get them off. I read too often about people who are the cause of accidents but have multiple DWI/DUI offenses on their record. So the American Revolution and everything our founding fathers fought for would be for nothing. Great news indeed.

Emerson1
12-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
So the American Revolution and everything our founding fathers fought for would be for nothing. Great news indeed.
Our founding fathers fought to make blood testing on drunk drivers illegal?

Aesculus gilmus
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

I have never been a liberal voter but drunk drivers make me very upset ...

I guess I don't understand why a "liberal voter" would be more upset about drunk drivers than a "conservative voter" would be. I think the issue is one of public safety and not the tired old "left" versus "right" paradigm.

Gobbla2001
12-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I guess I don't understand why a "liberal voter" would be more upset about drunk drivers than a "conservative voter" would be. I think the issue is one of public safety and not the tired old "left" versus "right" paradigm.

agreed

Gobbla2001
12-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Our founding fathers fought to make blood testing on drunk drivers illegal?

No... but you'll find that "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" was originally "Life, Liberty and Property"... blood being your property I suppose...

the annoying deal with a lot of people on MANDATORY blood tests is that you're taking blood from an unwilling person that hasn't even been officially charged yet... until you fail a field sobriety test, a blow-machine or a blood test, you haven't committed a crime, you were arrested on "suspicion"...

Also, I would argue Old Tiger's point may not only be directed to the discussion of taking the blood... seems he may have also had issue with "when they get away with it by hiring an attorney who knows how to get them off"... yah, that's called freedom... you're not getting off in Texas unless you're REALLLLLY somebody MAYBE (DJ Monroe not up at 'somebody' level yet) or the court cannot prove by law that you were drunk... period...

WildTexan972
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
So the American Revolution and everything our founding fathers fought for would be for nothing. Great news indeed.

a bunch of YOU people voted in a President that does not give a crap about what any founding fathers wanted for this nation...why would this issue be any different...

FACT: defense lawyers will always tell you to not blow the machine....the longer time it takes to get the blood drawn might just allow your kidneys to get you below the limit....

obviously the scumbags at UTerus have taught the convicts they recruit this very simple rule so when the free lawyer arrives he can get ya off....