PDA

View Full Version : WOS87 question

NastySlot
12-18-2009, 01:01 AM
hey since you been posting the histories of several se texas teams...i notice that during...early years 30's-50's an opponent of several teams..port acres....my question is it now part of the port arthur isd...and was it p.a. austin before the consolidation into memorial?

WOS87
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
hey since you been posting the histories of several se texas teams...i notice that during...early years 30's-50's an opponent of several teams..port acres....my question is it now part of the port arthur isd...and was it p.a. austin before the consolidation into memorial?

Port Acres used to be an unincorporated community north of Port Arthur and west of Nederland, Port Neches and Groves. They attempted to gain their own status as an independent municipality but instead were incorporated into the Port Arthur City Limits in 1959 against many of the resident's wishes and at that point the High School officially became Port Arthur SFA (Stephen F. Austin).

SFA, along with Lincoln (which was the all-black segregated PAISD school prior to 1967) and TJ (Thomas Jefferson) merged in 2002 to become the current entity known as Port Arthur Memorial. Memorial hasn't had anywhere near the success of any of it's three ancestors so far... in regards to football at least, despite having tons of talent.

NastySlot
12-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
Port Acres used to be an unincorporated community north of Port Arthur and west of Nederland, Port Neches and Groves. They attempted to gain their own status as an independent municipality but instead were incorporated into the Port Arthur City Limits in 1959 against many of the resident's wishes and at that point the High School officially became Port Arthur SFA (Stephen F. Austin).

SFA, along with Lincoln and TJ (Thomas Jefferson) merged in 2002 to become the current entity known as Port Arthur Memorial. Memorial hasn't had anywhere near the success of any of it's three ancestors so far... in regards to football at least, despite having tons of talent.

thank you for the info.

WOS87
12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/PP/htp18.html

88bobcats
12-18-2009, 01:18 PM

SFA, along with Lincoln (which was the all-black segregated PAISD school prior to 1967) and TJ (Thomas Jefferson) merged in 2002 to become the current entity known as Port Arthur Memorial. Memorial hasn't had anywhere near the success of any of it's three ancestors so far... in regards to football at least, despite having tons of talent.

Is Port Acres north of Port Arthur and west of Nederland? I thought Port Acres was the area west of the refineries (across hwy. 87) near the intersections of highways 87 & 73. Is it not bordered on the western side by Taylor's Bayou?

banderafan
12-18-2009, 09:06 PM

How do you do it!

WOS87
12-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Is Port Acres north of Port Arthur and west of Nederland? I thought Port Acres was the area west of the refineries (across hwy. 87) near the intersections of highways 87 & 73. Is it not bordered on the western side by Taylor's Bayou?

Looking at it on an actual map I guess it's really more west of Port Arthur and southwest of Nederland.

In my mind I had the line connecting Port Arthur and Beaumont as running directly north-south but it's actually more northwest-southeast

Port Acres is the area north of Highway 73 and West of Highway 93

The old SFA high school (now Austin Middle School) is located on 61st Street between Jade Avenue and Highway 93

Click Here --->Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113528428375422921540.00047b0c9b8c1807a81c8&ll=29.89908,-94.017359&spn=0.004985,0.008218&t=h&z=17)

PhiI C
12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
"How does he do it? How does he do it?" asked the Sinton Godfather in amazement while on his way to the kitchen to fix himself a cup of coffee.