PDA

View Full Version : Decatur 35 Bridgeport 14

Chief Woodman
10-17-2003, 11:37 PM
First let me say it was an emense pleasure to meet Slpybear. Will give better details about the game tommorow. But for now...The game seemed closer than the score indicated. Decatur did have 2 TD's called back and I will have to see the game film to see if the calls were good. Considering the intense rivalry, it was a fairly clean game. Three or four injuries tonight do not know how severe yet...and my son missed the 4th quarter due to leg cramps. Hope the #12 player from Bridgeport is not seriously injured.

slpybear the bullfan
10-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Chief, it was great to meet you, I too enjoyed it a bunch. I was sorry to see your son go out... it looked like a hamstring cramp/pull from the stands. I hope he is okay and not hurt long term.

I don't know about #12 yet... will have to wait until Monday probably.

The One
10-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Well I was a little surprised by the game tonight.

1. The Bulls played much better then what I ever dreamed they might.

2. Decatur didn't seem near as good as what I thought they were. (No offense Chief)

I guess I was most surprised by Decatur, I really thought they would come out and dominate the game and that just didn't happen. Don't get me wrong I love to see a good game but I definatley think the Gainesvilles and Kennedales could give Decatur some trouble down the road if they were to meet. Good luck to the Eagles anyways and congrats on a good hard fought win! Hope your boy is okay Chief.

Now, give me some hot sport opinions on the Bulls start. They run the ball well, control the clock and the field position and then elect to fake a punt that Decatur stuffed. ???? Was that just me or was that a very questionable call? Gave momentum and field position back to the superior team Decatur. I just didn't understand that in the opening quarter.

olddawggreen
10-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Way to go Decatur, one more down!

slpybear the bullfan
10-18-2003, 10:18 AM
The One:

Now, give me some hot sport opinions on the Bulls start. They run the ball well, control the clock and the field position and then elect to fake a punt that Decatur stuffed. ???? Was that just me or was that a very questionable call? Gave momentum and field position back to the superior team Decatur. I just didn't understand that in the opening quarter.Okay... Here is a HSO on that call... If it was 4th and 3... AND... you decide to have some kind of blocking scheme to load up one side and get a little mismatch to spring the back... THEN I love the call. But, it was 4th and 12 at midfield and all we did was snap it to the up back and have him try and go around the end... for 12? I like the audacity but commonsense tells you the percentages on that call are waaaayyyyy against you.

Okay, my turn now... I loved the call to play Bosley as a RB. Great decision. BUT... why does he sit out defense most of the game? I mean, we see teams come into Bridgeport year in and year out and start kids both ways, but Coach Henson is against it. I have heard his reasons and I think there is some validity, BUT... why do other teams have such success doing it.

IMHO, starting WRs both ways as DBs is the scheme that teams excelling in postseason play are using... C'mon, you don't have to know 56 routes to play DB... you just gotta have the same height and speed as the WR and be able to play man coverage. Heck, set up a rotation of your WRs at DB like other teams do against us. I am not saying you have to do that all game, but you have to put your best matchup out there on the field when it counts. And segregating offense and defense does not allow you to do that.

Okay, I am not a coach, just a former player and bleacher coach. Now, let me hear those opinons...

Chief Woodman
10-18-2003, 10:29 AM
First, my son is OK...was just leg cramps. Theone- good points. There are a few reasons, but not excuses for the way the game went. Please please please do not think I am sugar coating anything. As a matter of fact there will probably be some who think what I am saying is too critical.

First, the Bulls were focused for the game, so they did not have many lets downs. They played a great game, and the schemes used by Bridgeport always seem to match up well against Decatur. Great job to the Bulls. Bulls would probably have a better record and be a more dangerous team except for dropped passes and needing some help at corner back. I know some folks in Bridgeport share this view with me.
Second, Decatur made two major changes to the Defense on Thursday. After practicing all week for one scheme, the defence was changed on Thursday and the players only got to see a walk through with nothing at full speed. This made the first half kind of like on the job training so they gave up some stuff just because of the learning curve. (Not taking anything away from the Bulls). One of your TD's had good defence coverage in the end zone, but the defender slipped when he reached up for the ball. Could have easily been and interception. Even with all of this, they only gave up 14 points. Good effort Eagles Defense.

Third, Chandler Dane was way off what he usually does. Even though he went 19-27 for 248 yards and one TD he was way off target on several passes. Thew one pass to the stop route so slow it was picked off. Not like Chandler at all. Looked to those who have seen him alot like the ball was slipping out of his hand a whole lot. Remember the wounded duck ball that three Bulls were around but our reciever brought it down anyway? I have watched Dane for several years...and he has only thrown one or two of these EVER. He had a reciever 15 yards behind EVERYBODY with no pressure on him, and he overthrew the reciever by 5 yards (or the reciever slowed up). I have never seen him do that. So with an off night by Dane, Eagles did not score 50-60 points.

Last The Eagles could have scored 50-60 points. Danes overthrow was one missed TD. Had Two TD's called back. Eagles could have scored a TD in the final minute down by your goal, but ran short yardage calls instead. So the Eagles could have scored 28 more points, making the total 63-14.

Yet with all of these possibilities, I agree...the Eagles did not look as good to me as I know they are. Seems strange to call an 35-14 victory an off night, yet that is what it was.

Chief Woodman
10-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Is Decatur better or worse than last year? Through 7 games record 6-1 vs 7-0 last year. When looking at points scored (taking away 4 TD's by Defense last year) Decatur "O" is averaging 1 more point per game than last year, and "D" is giving up 2 points less per game than last year. So except for the turnover TD's last year (which you can never count on) Both sides of the ball we are actually a little better although record does not show that. Sort of a toss up. It is possible that those who think we are not as good might be a little spoiled by last years great success. Time will tell how far we go in the playoffs if we get there.

<small>[ October 18, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

shsu62
10-18-2003, 04:44 PM
I believe last years team was a more all around team. i think the competition they faced was much better than this years. The team may be putting up better numbers but numbers dont tell the entire story. Last years team was pretty solid across the board with not many weaknesses. I have seen this both this years and last years team at work and I see more problems in this years team. The front lines seem not be quite as good. I hope this years team can continue to improve and take it all the way to a state championship

Roll'em up
10-18-2003, 06:37 PM
The One

You we seem to have been at different games last night. The Decatur Offense moved the ball almost at will. As I recall there were many 20+ yard gains, one a 67 yard run, that was called back by questionable penalties. I'm not saying that the infractions did not occur on all occassions, but some were questionable. I'm just saying that if you take away 2 or 3 timely penalties this game would have been a blowout.

slpybear the bullfan
10-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Roll 'em... yes I agree. A few different calls on some penalties and it gets worse... and a few passes that aren't dropped by Bulls receivers and its a different game... and a few better thrown balls by Dane and it gets worse... and if Colin Jones was there then Bosley plays D the whole game and it is a different game...

If... If... If...

The games are played because we don't just compare rosters and stats. Let's take 'em the way they come and move on.

Again, Good job Bulls... Great team you have, Decatur.

I wish both well on what I hope is a good postseason...

Now... Let's talk about Lake Dallas!!!

Roll'em up
10-18-2003, 11:15 PM
From what I recall Bosley was in the secondary until late in the 4th quarter. Didn't seem to make a difference one way or another. As for dropped balls by Bridgeport, there were none that I remember until late in the 4th after the game was already over. The only drops you may be referring to may be those that Decatur's secondary forced.

The One
10-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Bosley played 10 plays on Defense so maybe you were the one that was at a different game. Either way it would not have mattered. We would have lost, Decatur is the better team. It was a good game and I didn't expect to be. I am entitled to an opinion, after seeing Decatur, Gainesville and Kennedale all play this year my opinion is Decatur wouldn't stay on the field with them. And before seeing Decatur I thought they could, I guess you could say I was disappointed. But that is my opinion and remember just like Sundays anything could happen on "Any Given Friday".

Slpy,
Good point on the playing both ways. I think the Decatur WR/DB Christian is a perfect example of what you are saying!

MASH4077
10-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Until Warner made is bonehead decision to take a swing at a Decatur player on our sideline,I would have picked the Bulls to beat Lake Dallas,but without him your already thin reciever corp is bad. I have already accepted the fact that we are going to play Everman in the play-offs. They are not as strong as they have been so we do have a chance to win. And besides I think Div.1 could be weaker after Everman in Region 1.

slpybear the bullfan
10-19-2003, 09:15 PM
MASH... I couldn't agree more. That was a VERY POOR decision that means we have to sit a WR down for next week. Hopefully, we can slide by.

Yes, I believe Decatur will be playing DI ball this year. It will be very interesting to watch everyone play out the rest of the schedule.

slpybear the bullfan
10-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Roll'em up:
From what I recall Bosley was in the secondary until late in the 4th quarter. Didn't seem to make a difference one way or another. As for dropped balls by Bridgeport, there were none that I remember until late in the 4th after the game was already over. The only drops you may be referring to may be those that Decatur's secondary forced.Roll 'em, I am suprised you didn't pay attention at the game. Corey Bosley #4, started this game as a RB because Colin Jones suffered an injury against Lake Work last week. Bosley did not play two ways for almost the entire game, (hence my diatribe earlier). I would be suprised if Bosley played 10 downs on Defense. He made it in a few times before half and towards the end of the game. Do I think he would have made a difference? Of course. When Decatur ran those great sweeps we lacked our hard hitting safety roving across to help cut it off. (although, I was proud of the way the Bulls played McKinney.)

I am sorry you didn't watch our passing game closer. There were drops by 16, 10, and 5 for Bridgeport. I am not positive, but I also think 12 had one before he went out. They may not have been something that stood out to you, but believe me... we noticed each and every acid-indigetstion causing one of them. Would they have made a difference? Sure. Would they have changed a L to a W? No.

Listen, Roll 'em, my points on this thread are not to sit here and ramble on about how Bridgeport would have beat Decatur If this... or If that... But you can bet I sure as Heck won't sit around rambling how much worse it would have been IF this... or IF that... I have watched A LOT of HS Football and the way the game plays out is the way it is. All that talk of if this or that is just Sour Grapes or Homerism.

Again, nice win by Decatur and I tip my hat towards a great team. It looks like ya'll should be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs. It will make some really intersting football if ya'll wind up DI. The first county team that might do that?

Again, nice effort by the Bulls. A lot of folks, (including me), thought Decatur would have their way with you... but you held on and gave Decatur a great game. Keep up the work and let's see if we can get some momentum and head to a post-season birth.

Go Bulls...

slpybear the bullfan
10-19-2003, 09:37 PM
The One:
Slpy,
Good point on the playing both ways. I think the Decatur WR/DB Christian is a perfect example of what you are saying!One, I think that is a great example. The WRs rotate, and also don't play the whole game.

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Proud of how they handled McKinney? He had 17 rushes for 105 yard averaging 6 yards a carry and 4 TDs. One play was called back that would have made it 18 rushes for 170 yards averaging 9.4 yards a carry and 5 TD's. (my son says the game film does show that the downfield blocking call was bad). If thats handling a running back, I hope for your sake the Bulls do not see a back they cannot handle.

airitout
10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Slpybear said he was proud of how they played McKinney, not that they handled him. As far as the downfield block in the back goes, it was called so therefore it happened. It shows pretty clearly on our film. As in any game there are calls that go for you and against you. The better team won so what else matters. No BCS polls here so spread doesn't matter.

slpybear the bullfan
10-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Chief Woodman:
Proud of how they handled McKinney? He had 17 rushes for 105 yard averaging 6 yards a carry and 4 TDs. One play was called back that would have made it 18 rushes for 170 yards averaging 9.4 yards a carry and 5 TD's. (my son says the game film does show that the downfield blocking call was bad). If thats handling a running back, I hope for your sake the Bulls do not see a back they cannot handle.Okay guys... let me just leave it all here on this post.

When you look at the Bulls and Eagles rosters you would have to be an idiot to think there was any way the Bulls had a chance of victory. Do we match up against Decatur? Heck no.

So, we go out and play what a lot of us thought was a decent game against a much better team. And what do I get to hear? "Well, if Decatur did this or that then it would have been 88-0." It wasn't just a few of the posts on here, but also some of the folks I visited with today at work. Sheesh... you guys may know a lot about scoring TDs but you still have a lot to learn about being gracious in your wins and losses. I am a huge homer and love to talk it up a little, but I know how to tip your hat after the game.

Yeah, hammer me for being a sore loser, unable to take the heat and all of that. Go back and reread my posts and you will see that I haven't made any excuses and gave all the credit in the world to Decatur on what a great team they have.

If I want to give a little credit to the Bulls D because you have a Big and Fast RB and we keep him from putting 200 yds on us, then I will. If I want to credit the Bulls for not quitting and staying after it, then I will. It just cracks me up that even these little posts are jumped on and we have to hear about how bad it could have been.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be suprised. It is a big rivalry and that's what you get.

slpybear the bullfan
10-20-2003, 08:16 PM
airitout:
Slpybear said he was proud of how they played McKinney, not that they handled him. As far as the downfield block in the back goes, it was called so therefore it happened. It shows pretty clearly on our film. As in any game there are calls that go for you and against you. The better team won so what else matters. No BCS polls here so spread doesn't matter.Airitout,

Sometime when we run into each other I would like to hear your perspective on the year... usually I get to hear a pretty good view of things from you.

You know us bleacher coaches... we think we have an answer for everything! wink

Hope everything is going well, especially the golf.

Chief Woodman
10-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Slpybear...not trying to be ungracious at all, sorry if it seemed thaat way. Seeimg that what you ment was that the D did well in holding McKinney to under 200 yards they did do well. Guess I missed the intent of complimenting McKinney as a really good RB. Please accept my apology.

slpybear the bullfan
10-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Chief, here is the perspective that this Bridgeport Fan had regarding the game.

Coming in...
Decatur is a great, talented football team. We are quite aware of that in B'port.
Bridgeport was in for a long night. We just couldn't match up worth a darn.

After...
We probably over-inflated the greatness of the opponent and were too critical of the Bulls. When the game is played, we see that the Bulls hung in there better than expected. And the Eagles were not the boogeymen we made them out to be. As I tried to reflect that in my posts and at work today, all I heard in return was how much worse it would have been.

Apology accepted. Sometimes emails just don't convey the thought as is needed.