PDA

View Full Version : Big XII fans - Would you rather lose Missouri or Nebraska?

Sweetwater Red
12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Missouri could be considered if Big Ten expands

By MIKE DeARMOND

The Kansas City Star

Separate statements issued less than one hour apart on Tuesday expressed a will by the Big Ten Conference to expand its membership and a way that Missouri could be considered in that expansion.

Shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday, Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton issued this response to a post on The Star’s Campus Corner blog about the school’s openness to listen to any overture to join the Big Ten:

“The University of Missouri has not been contacted by the Big Ten. Should there be an official inquiry or invitation, we would evaluate it based upon what would be in the best interest of MU athletically and academically.”

At 3 p.m., the Big Ten issued a statement on its Web site that the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors had discussed expansion at the group’s winter meetings on Dec. 6 in Park Ridge, Ill., and that:

“The COP/C has asked the conference office to obtain, to the extent possible, information necessary to construct preliminary options and recommendations without engaging in formal discussions with leadership of other institutions.

“If and when such discussions become necessary the COP/C has instructed Commissioner James E. Delany to inform the Chair of the COP/C, Michigan State University President Lou Anna K. Simon, and then to notify the commissioner of the affected conference(s).

“Only after these notices have occurred will the Big Ten engage in formal expansion discussions with other institutions. This process will allow the Big Ten to evaluate options, while respecting peer conferences and their member institutions.”

The Big Ten statement said the presidents/chancellors group expected no action “in the near term.”

Further, the statement said there would be no interim comments from the Big Ten or its presidents and chancellors.

Missouri officials have expressed dissatisfaction with the Big 12 Conference bowl selection process, which they feel has undercut the accomplishments of the MU football team in each of the last three seasons.

On Monday, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee told The Columbus Dispatch that he sees a need to add a 12th team to the current 11-team Big Ten.

“We have to be thoroughly modern and realize the world has moved on, and having a playoff for the Big Ten championship makes sense,” Gee said. “I’m not planting a stake in the ground on that issue, but it’s something we now need to tackle.”

Missouri has historically been considered a candidate for moving to the Big Ten, with proponents seeing the school as a good fit academically and athletically.

For years, the contention has been that the Big Ten coveted the inclusion of Notre Dame, even while that school has continued as a profitable and successful football independent.

Other schools mentioned as possible candidates for the Big Ten have been Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Nebraska.

Link (http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/1633968.html?storylink=omni_popular)

IHStangFan
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Either is fine w/ me.....the more interesting question is who do we replace them with? TCU? Houston?

Pendragon13
12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Say bye bye Mizzou, bring Arkansas back to the old rivalries and let the SEC find another team.

Astrosdawg07
12-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Either is fine w/ me.....the more interesting question is who do we replace them with? TCU? Houston?

You would have to go with TCU if you stay in the Texas area. Then bump OU or OSU to the north. It would make the conference stronger to bump OU. The Big 12 title game would mean a lot more and draw more interest.

IHStangFan
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
You would have to go with TCU if you stay in the Texas area. Then bump OU or OSU to the north. It would make the conference stronger to bump OU. The Big 12 title game would mean a lot more and draw more interest. That would be interesting!

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
You would have to go with TCU if you stay in the Texas area. Then bump OU or OSU to the north. It would make the conference stronger to bump OU. The Big 12 title game would mean a lot more and draw more interest.

IMO you could not bump either..if you bump OU they lose Texas AND OSU as a yearly rivalry and I dont think they would be for that..bumping OSU would cause THEM to lose the yearly bedlam series.

I love the Big 12, but it killed OU-Neb but I really dont think OU, OSU or Texas would be for the other rivalries being killed

Cotton
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Why would either of them leave the big 12 for the big 10. That would be a step down. Big 12 is superior across the board.

carter08
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Cotton
Why would either of them leave the big 12 for the big 10. That would be a step down. Big 12 is superior across the board.

The Big 10 is far better than the Big 12 North.

I'd rather lose Mizzou. I like the Huskers.

As for who to add, Dallas and Houston are both big markets, but which one gives you the most money?

Nevermind, TCU or Houston would be too much of a threat to their precious Sooners and Longhorns, better add Rice.

carter08
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Actually, adding Colorado State sounds pretty feasible.

IHStangFan
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Why would either of them leave the big 12 for the big 10. That would be a step down. Big 12 is superior across the board. BECAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by carter08

As for who to add, Dallas and Houston are both big markets, but which one gives you the most money?

Nevermind, TCU or Houston would be too much of a threat to their precious Sooners and Longhorns, better add Rice.

Far better in what way? The only thing the Big 10 has RIGHT now is tradition

As far WHY they would leave...alot of the former Big 8 feel right or wrong that the Big 12 is basically run by UT and OU and dont like it( Osborne said that many times).

Cotton
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM

So because the big 10 is better than the bottom half of the big 12, you think it makes sense for mizzou or nebraska to bolt? big 10 is in decay. Big 12 is on the rise nationally.

carter08
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
So because the big 10 is better than the bottom half of the big 12, you think it makes sense for mizzou or nebraska to bolt? big 10 is in decay. Big 12 is on the rise nationally.

It gives them a better chance to compete for a conference title, especially if the Big 10 splits. Better chance of making a BCS game. Big 12 just happens to have a good team like Texas at the top.

Cotton
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
It gives them a better chance to compete for a conference title, especially if the Big 10 splits. Better chance of making a BCS game. Big 12 just happens to have a good team like Texas at the top.

Well, no offense, but I don't believe a program like Nebraska is so desparate that they are seeking an easier path to a conference title. If that is the case, maybe they should see if the sunbelt or MAC will let them join. In my opinion, it makes no sense to leave the big 12 to join the big 10.

SteerS_2012
12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Kick out Mizzou and Iowa State, bring in TCU and Houston to south, move Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the north.

Maroon87
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SteerS_2012
Kick out Mizzou and Iowa State, bring in TCU and Houston to south, move Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the north.

Only issue with that is that the yearly Red River Rivalry dies and becomes just another game played every 3-4 years, a la Neb/OU.

SteerS_2012
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Only issue with that is that the yearly Red River Rivalry dies and becomes just another game played every 3-4 years, a la Neb/OU.

What are you talking about? Red River Rivalry would just be moved to the same week as the Big XII Championship game week. ;)
But yes that is a problem, but having TCU and Houston in the north doesn't make sense.

TheDOCTORdre
12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
does it piss anyone else off that then Big 10 is still calld the Big 10 even though it has 11 teams? It will piss me off a little bit more if they add a 12th team and are still the Big 10.

carter08
12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, no offense, but I don't believe a program like Nebraska is so desparate that they are seeking an easier path to a conference title. If that is the case, maybe they should see if the sunbelt or MAC will let them join. In my opinion, it makes no sense to leave the big 12 to join the big 10.

I was talking about Missouri.

The Big 10 is miles better than the Sunbelt and MAC. The level of competition is better than the Big 12 North, so it would prepare them more for the conference championship game.

sahen
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
the problem with adding TCU and Houston is the North teams hate all the texas schools....its arguably the reason why Mizzou would leave...they believe they are getting the shaft on bowls and all...call it cryign or whining or whatever but the old Big 8 thought they were going to dominate the Big 12 and they aren't plus they feel the conference is slanted toward the texas schools with playing conference championships down here more often...if we add another texas school the remaining north schools will find a way to bolt and then we have SWC part 2...we all know that didnt work on a national level...

also the Big 12 may be better than the Big 10 but the Big 10 tv deal is second only to the SEC....Mizzou would make money by joining the Big 10...the question is if they are willing to kill their long standing rivalries and if it will benefit them in all sports and not just football...

SteerS_2012
12-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
does it piss anyone else off that then Big 10 is still calld the Big 10 even though it has 11 teams? It will piss me off a little bit more if they add a 12th team and are still the Big 10. '

Ditto.

NastySlot
12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

they could sort of do what the SEC does they kept traditional rivalries alive (almost all SEC games are rivalry).....ex: Alabama v. Tennessee, Auburn v. Georgia, LSU v. Florida and Arkansas v. S.Carolina( newest members)....play every year.

TheDOCTORdre
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
on another note Notre Dame needs to quit being douche bags and join a conference

Cotton
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I was talking about Missouri.

The Big 10 is miles better than the Sunbelt and MAC. The level of competition is better than the Big 12 North, so it would prepare them more for the conference championship game.

Mizzou can't win the big 12 north consistently, yet you believe they want to change conferences just to get better prepared for conference title game? Playing NU and whichever south teams they are slated for that year are prep enough. Mizzou might want to join the big10+1, but I would think it would be for reasons other than that.

crzyjournalist03
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm kind of surprised that Iowa State isn't coming up more in the talks. They'd get to increase their in-state rivalry with Iowa. Iowa State has always seemed like the out-of-place Big XII team to me.

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
on another note Notre Dame needs to quit being douche bags and join a conference

How about the big 12?

crzyjournalist03
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
How about the big 12?

The Big XII is looking to increase its competition, not lower it.

Deuce
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
How about the big 12?

Will never happen!

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Nebraska will be one of the better teams to beat in the next coming years coach has defense going ,if they would've had any offense this year they would be undefeated getting ready to play Alabama.

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I would like to c TCU get up in there and play with the big boys cause I'm pretty sure they could beat any of those BCS bowl teams this year including Texas.

crzyjournalist03
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by mlb04stangs
I would like to c TCU get up in there and play with the big boys cause I'm pretty sure they could beat any of those BCS bowl teams this year including Texas.

Don't be surprised at all if TCU just goes straight into the Big XII North division to replace a potential departure to the Big Ten. That avoids breaking any of the current rivalries in the South.

TCU wouldn't care at all that they're not geographically in the best position. They're not currently any better off than they would be in the Big XII North, and TCU isn't afraid of anybody right now.

Matthew328
12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
How pissed would the old Big 8 guard be if TCU joined the north and was playing in the championship against Texas LOL

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I wish TCU would get put in there it's the only way there going to get the recognition they deserve.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
How pissed would the old Big 8 guard be if TCU joined the north and was playing in the championship against Texas LOL

u bring up another good point..I dont think the Big 12 North would approve another Texas team..like I said before, alot of the old guard og the Big 8 feel that the Big 12 basically panders to OU and Texas.