PDA

View Full Version : Way to go texas. Way to have your priorities straight

Keith7
12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4744679

This is sad. texas puts athletics ahead of academics again. PATHETIC :doh:

Black_Magic
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Your anti texas attitude shines bright.. Kinda makes your statements wattered down..

3afan
12-15-2009, 01:26 PM
"Texas president William Powers Jr. said the athletic program, under Brown, has had no subsidies or deficits and has channeled $6.6 million into academic programs in recent years.

Brown's salary is paid with money raised by athletic department revenues."

so, the extra $ going to Mack takes nothing from academia

Keith7
12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
"Texas president William Powers Jr. said the athletic program, under Brown, has had no subsidies or deficits and has channeled $6.6 million into academic programs in recent years.

Brown's salary is paid with money raised by athletic department revenues."

so, the extra $ going to Mack takes nothing from academia

But the money that is going to brown could have been used for academics but instead it was used to overpay a coach ..

Really texas? football is more important than your students' education? no wonder austin has a homeless problem.. they are all texas grads

Bull Butter
12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I somehow picture Keith as the guy who stands under the beehive with a broom :)

squid
12-15-2009, 01:40 PM
keith, meet BBDE.

jason
12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
let the faculty bitch and moan all they want - and then let the texas athletic program go a few years without contributing any of the income they bring in to the university and none of the faculty get raises, then see what they think about overpaying a coach who brings in millions....

and keith - you're an idiot and your shtick is getting old....

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Didn't Alabama cancel classes for the NC?

In 2007-2008

Total sports revenue

1. Texas – $120.3 million
2. Ohio State – $118 million
3. Florida – $106 million
4. Michigan – $99 million
5. Wisconsin – $93.5 million
6. Penn State – $91.6 million
7. Auburn – $89.3 million
8. Alabama – $88.9 million
9. Tennessee – $88.7 million
10. Oklahoma State – $88.6 million

Football revenue

1. Texas $72.95 million
2. Georgia $67.05 million
3. Florida $66.1 million
4. Ohio State University $65.16 million
5. Notre Dame $59.77 million
6. Auburn $59.67 million
7. Michigan $57.46 million
8. Alabama $57.37 million
9. Penn State $53.76 million
10. Louisiana State University $52.68 million

Keith7
12-15-2009, 01:49 PM
This is a clear statement by the uoft that athletics is more important of academics

Here is a picture of a proud uoft grad:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/335113107_c73fa46f7e.jpg

Ex-Tiger2005
12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
But the money that is going to brown could have been used for academics but instead it was used to overpay a coach ..

Really texas? football is more important than your students' education? no wonder austin has a homeless problem.. they are all texas grads

tell me the name of one school where the academics is over athletics? i hate to see it that way but it is everywhere not just TEXAS.

Pick6
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jason

and keith - you're an idiot and your shtick is getting old....

So very true. I didn't know one could get dumber as they get older but he has proved that you can.

NastySlot
12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
tell me the name of one school where the academics is over athletics? i hate to see it that way but it is everywhere not just TEXAS.

they get ripped on here...but notre dame must still require athletes to go through the admission dept(means they apply like other students)....and i guess they must handle discipline through the academic portion of the university..........heard(espn radio) that one of those big name coaches that was mentioned for the job...wanted both to change......wanted admissions requirements laxed and a special committee formed to handle discipline...i'm going to guess the university said that was a no go...cause the coach withdrew from consideration.

by the way...good for brown and his raise......from what i have read the texas athletics dept...operates without having to take from academics.

Rocket
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
No Mack Brown = No Winning = No money.. I thought i would break it down for the idio.. that started this thread.

ivchris
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Behind Harvard and Yale, Texas has the 3rd largest endowment than any university in the country. It has the largest of all public colleges. I don't think paying a guy that brings millions into the system is going to hurt that much. Chill out UT hater.

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
That's why ND sucks. The best athletes are stupid

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by squid
keith, meet BBDE.

This would be so true...if it just weren't so that BBDe is at A&M!!! LOL

dawg4life
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
No Mack Brown = No Winning = No money.. I thought i would break it down for the idio.. that started this thread.

Wow. That couldnt be more wrong. Im just glad he got a contract extension. If Muschamp took over, texas would be even better. Mack Brown is pretty much clueless in my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dawg4life
Wow. That couldnt be more wrong. Im just glad he got a contract extension. If Muschamp took over, texas would be even better. Mack Brown is pretty much clueless in my opinion.

Man I hope to be as clueless as Mack..revive a dormant program, have a NC title and most wins over a 10 year period

kaorder1999
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Man I hope to be as clueless as Mack..revive a dormant program, have a NC title and most wins over a 10 year period

ya...me too

cookiemonster
12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Keith, what are you basing your arguement that he is over paid on?

bigwood33
12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't know Sam Elliott was a UT grad.

Bullaholic
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by cookiemonster

Same thing he bases every argument he makes on---absoulutely nothing but the entertainment factor for keith. :D

ivchris
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cookiemonster
The "Couldn't find his butt with both hands" argument.

jockcity33
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
so what is going to happen when the professors at texas get fed up with mack getting raises and not them, and start failing the football players, then they lose eligibility.

BwdLion73
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
This is a clear statement by the uoft that athletics is more important of academics

I can prove your wrong, thats tenured staff!

ivchris
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
so what is going to happen when the professors at texas get fed up with mack getting raises and not them, and start failing the football players, then they lose eligibility.

I seriously doubt that there are ANY professors on the campus that put in the time that the coaches spend coaching, watching films, prepping for games, recruiting and so on. I'm not taking away from the profs, they do work hard, but hour to hour how do things match up?
How much prep time goes into a 55 minute class, that is the same semester to semester, year in year out as opposed to a football team that changes week to week?

We're comparing apples to oranges here, but I do think that a coach gets discredited by people thinking it's such an easy job, but when you add up all the time and personal sacrifice made by a coach, plus what a winning program bring to the table, he makes what he deserves.

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
They get fired.

jockcity33
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I am not arguing that the coaches work harder and longer hours, I am just saying it sounds like the academic staff at Texas is already upset by the pay raise, so I raised the question that I did.

rholl
12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
So UT football makes 87 million.....the head of UT football gets a raise to 5 million...whats the problem????

ivchris
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not arguing that the coaches work harder and longer hours, I am just saying it sounds like the academic staff at Texas is already upset by the pay raise, so I raised the question that I did.

I think the staff may gripe, but when it comes down to where they work, I doubt you'll see any of them pull out of Texas. They get everything they want, have the most up to the date equipment and best buildings.

Phil C
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey who says academics aren't important at UT?! After all the LBJ of Public Affairs has had me as their guest lecturer at one of their conferences!

nobogey72
12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing Keith is overpaid.

dawg4life
12-15-2009, 04:43 PM

VY won him a NC. Thats the MAIN reason.

and MB has won with the name "the university of texas" and more money than god to lure talented Defensive Coaches and players to Texas.

This pretty much sums it up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/308695-texass-mack-brown-elite-coach-or-lucky-ceo-of-a-loaded-program

Keith7
12-15-2009, 04:44 PM

and MB has won with the name "the university of texas" and more money than god to lure talented Defensive Coaches and players to Texas.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/308695-texass-mack-brown-elite-coach-or-lucky-ceo-of-a-loaded-program

You mean vince young, Mr. Lowest Wonderlic Score Ever, won him a NC

dawg4life
12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
You mean vince young, Mr. Lowest Wonderlic Score Ever, won him a NC

Ya...thats what I said....

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 04:48 PM

so you negate the fact he RECRUITED Vince Young? That is a part of what College Coaches do..they recruit the talent

and all of this crap about the money and the name TEXAS..then why did it not help build a consistent winner since Royal left?

Funny u use that article when it basically says MAck Brown IS a great coach.

College coaches today are more CEO than X and O's and MAck is one of the top ones. That is not luck, that is his talent

He recognizes talent(coaching and recruiting) and knows how to gets it. Simple as that.

dawg4life
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
so you negate the fact he RECRUITED Vince Young? That is a part of what College Coaches do..they recruit the talent

and all of this crap about the money and the name TEXAS..then why did it not help build a consistent winner since Royal left?

Funny u use that article when it basically says MAck Brown IS a great coach.

College coaches today are more CEO than X and O's and MAck is one of the top ones. That is not luck, that is his talent

He recognizes talent(coaching and recruiting) and knows gets it. Simple as that.

Ill admit he's a good recruiter. He throws money at players very well.

the first like 7 or 8 years after royal left, texas was still winning at least 9 games a year and won a couple of SWC championships. Just because your not as good as royal, doesnt mean youre not a good coach.

ehh, some of it did.

fine, call mack brown a smart CEO. thats fine...but not coach. He relies on his coordinators. Thats why they have had trouble holding onto them.

coach
12-15-2009, 05:02 PM

the first like 7 or 8 years after royal left, texas was still winning at least 9 games a year and won a couple of SWC championships. Just because your not as good as royal, doesnt mean youre not a good coach.

ehh, some of it did.

fine, call mack brown a smart CEO. thats fine...but not coach. He relies on his coordinators. Thats why they have had trouble holding onto them.

i sure hope he doesnt rely on greg davis

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM

ehh, some of it did.

Ahh go to the he throws money at them argument..not even going to comment other than that

He relies on his Coordinators just like Jimmy Johnson did .Not sure what is so bad about that?

In fact I have a feeling almost all the great college coaches "rely" on their assistants. You hire people you feel are talented and you can trust.

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd be just fine with this guy coaching my kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpI2HJkL34

Rocket
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM

You are clueless. Mack Brown is known as Coach February. Does anybody know why?

sinton66
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

OMG! Now that's a scary thought.:D

rangerjoe33
12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Because he buys the best Valentine candy?

Just Kidding, the man is a great recruiter, however IMO UT sells itself as well, I mean what Texan growing up and playing football as a youngster would not want to come to Texas to play football? Seriously. That is llike a dream come true for any Texas football player from day one.

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Mack is clueless. Top 20 recruiting classes the last 8 years. Who knows how many before that since that is when rivals' records stop.

Maroon87
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
wow..that was sad and pathetic

especially the part where he makes fun of the Tower shootings

:ditto:

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
Because he buys the best Valentine candy?

Just Kidding, the man is a great recruiter, however IMO UT sells itself as well, I mean what Texan growing up and playing football as a youngster would not want to come to Texas to play football? Seriously. That is llike a dream come true for any Texas football player from day one.

Again though..all that had been lost since the mid 80's Texas was NOT getting the best of the best because they were growing up with Texas NOT being TEXAS...Mack brought that back.

dawg4life
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
So he's supposed to be the best recruiter. So the arguement is he has the best players...shouldnt a great coach with the best players have more than 1 NC? :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
So he's supposed to be the best recruiter. So the arguement is he has the best players...shouldnt a great coach with the best players have more than 1 NC? :thinking:

I dont know..Bob Stoops only has one Title is he not a great coach or recruiter?

I think people think winning titles is easy or something. ONE team( now at leasy lol) wins it every year. There are alot of teams that are title worthy every year but only one will win it

Maroon87
12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I dont know..Bob Stoops only has one Title is he not a great coach or recruiter?

And he won that title with a lot of John Blake's recruits.

Gobbla2001
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Hmmm, mistake "great" for "best" you have hmmm...

Stoops is a great recruiter who recruits great players... so is Pete in SoCal. Add Urb, JoePa, Les at LSU etc... along with Mack and they cannot ALL win titles every year...

You don't only have to look at UT pre/post Mack, just look at UNC pre/post Mack...

hell, look at A&M pre/post Mack getting in the Big 12...

and last, but not least, look at Mack coach UT in the Nat'l Championship game in Pasadena, CA, AT the Rose Bowl on January the 7th...

you'll be looking at a damn fine man and ball-coach...

rangerjoe33
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
And he won that title with a lot of John Blake's recruits.

Great point...

Rocket
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Hmmm, mistake "great" for "best" you have hmmm...

Stoops is a great recruiter who recruits great players... so is Pete in SoCal. Add Urb, JoePa, Les at LSU etc... along with Mack and they cannot ALL win titles every year...

You don't only have to look at UT pre/post Mack, just look at UNC pre/post Mack...

hell, look at A&M pre/post Mack getting in the Big 12...

and last, but not least, look at Mack coach UT in the Nat'l Championship game in Pasadena, CA, AT the Rose Bowl on January the 7th...

you'll be looking at a damn fine man and ball-coach...

These Mack haters are not only clueless, they are ignorant too.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Regent Chairman: "This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning. "

Coach Winters: "Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your @$$? "

Gobbla2001
12-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Hmmm, saw where Washington Monthly ranked The University of Texas #9 academically for Public National Universities...

that's not too damn bad...

Saw where the University of NORTH Texas also finished tied 9th academically for Public National Universities in another poll...

that's pretty damn good...

Keith must be pissed UNT cannot do the balancing act UT can... that and the only sports story including UNT this decade was that they made a 65-team basketball tournament... and that when most people hear "The University of North Texas" they think of Norman, Oklahoma...

rangerjoe33
12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
and that when most people hear "The University of North Texas" they think of Norman, Oklahoma...

Awesome...

Eagle 1
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Rocket

So your saying that school budgets depend solely on athletic contributions?
Interesting. :thinking:

Eagle 1
12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
That's why ND sucks. The best athletes are stupid

Really?

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7972/shortbusvince.gif

Gobbla2001
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
So your saying that school budgets depend solely on athletic contributions?
Interesting. :thinking:

even more interesting:

it looks like he said that if Mack Brown wasn't winning he wouldn't get that money...

Diocletian
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Mac is more of a Manager than a coach.

This thread is nothing more than Politic BS. Every City has homeless people... every College FB program wishes they could afford to overpay someone who seems to be able to return the large investment.

Get over it already, it's not changing anything in a drastic way.

SintonFan
12-15-2009, 08:32 PM

You kidding me! That's my neighbor!:eek:
Seriously.

formermbcouns
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't go to UT, so I really don't have a dog in this fight. But man, Keith, you sure do despise UT, don't you? lol

big daddy russ
12-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
I didn't know Sam Elliott was a UT grad.
Ha! Love Sam Elliott. Friggin' awesome in Lebowski.

big daddy russ
12-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ivchris
I seriously doubt that there are ANY professors on the campus that put in the time that the coaches spend coaching, watching films, prepping for games, recruiting and so on. I'm not taking away from the profs, they do work hard, but hour to hour how do things match up?
How much prep time goes into a 55 minute class, that is the same semester to semester, year in year out as opposed to a football team that changes week to week?
You're absolutely right. Let's just pay them both the same hourly wage. Then it'll all come out.

Look, I love Mack Brown as much as anyone. He seems like a genuinely good guy who genuinely cares about his kids and if anyone deserves that raise it's him. But Keith may have actually stumbled across something worth talking about.

Maya Angelou attracts a ton of students of students to Wake Forest just because she teaches classes and is very involved with the performing arts there on campus (at least last I heard she was still involved there). Still, what does the university pay her? I have no idea, but I'm guessing that the most she could possibly make would be a quarter million, and that's being generous. And this is from a living legend, possibly one of the most sought-after scholars in the world. At the top of her profession, just like Mack Brown.

Simple fact of the matter is that we pay Mack's salary and we put the priority on athletics over academics. It's evident when we pay close to $100 a ticket to watch someone like A&M (who was 7-5) play conference games against other non-elite teams.

On that note, I will say that he's one of the two active college coaches (Pete Carroll being the other) that I would give that kind of money to based on both results and also how they seem to treat their players and staff.

IHStangFan
12-16-2009, 01:01 AM

This is sad. texas puts athletics ahead of academics again. PATHETIC :doh: UNT must be on the par of the Ivy League schools then based on their athletic department & it's performance!! GO UNT!! Continue to churn out those world leaders, Nobel Prize winners and MENSA members!! :clap:

IHStangFan
12-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Also.....and on a more serious note.....let's look at it like this. Sure, Brown's salary is HUGE when you look at the end number...but when you consider it's only a slight percentage of the total revenue generated by/for the university each year. Large school, countless rabid fans that will pay whatever the university asks for the tickets, merchandise sales, private donations to the athletic dept....yada yada yada yada.....well....it kinda makes it a little easier to swallow, and in reality it's people like you and I that make these kind of salaries for these guys possible.

DDBooger
12-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ha! Love Sam Elliott. Friggin' awesome in Lebowski. he hardly had any dialogue or scenes in Big Lebowski. He was a badass in Roadhouse.

IHStangFan
12-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
he hardly had any dialogue or scenes in Big Lebowski. He was a badass in Roadhouse. agreed.

big daddy russ
12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
he hardly had any dialogue or scenes in Big Lebowski. He was a badass in Roadhouse.
I can agree on all of that. But who cares, I can't imagine anyone else in that role. He did a great job pulling the story along. Still my favorite role he's ever been in and I'm a huge Elliott fan.

3afan
12-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by jason
.... keith - ..... your shtick is getting old....

ya!

Charlie47
12-16-2009, 08:47 AM

OH Come on, Keith7 if you don't have anything worthwhile
or good to say about the Texas program, just don't say anything at all. I don't appreciate your treatment/disrespect of Coach Brown, by not capitalizing his name. He certainly doesn't deserve
your disrespect. Coach Brown raises more money for the university
than all your academics combined have raised. He's also raised the status of the university by recognition. His salary DOES NOT
take anything from the other programs/professors. The name recognition he
has brought to the university has been put toward the very
academics that criticize him.

Rustler
12-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Keith7 I am not a Longhorn fan. From a third party looking in your thoughts are scarry....Just like our Government...Matters not who earns the revenue or profitt...Spread it around to those who dont or haven't earn it. :hand:

OldBison75
12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't know Keith or where he works, but if his employer came to him today and said he was giving him a million dolar per year raise because he was one of the best in his field, how would he react?

1. He would jump up and down and probably wet his pants.
2. He would call everybody he respects and most he dosen't and tell them about his raise.
3. He would buy a new car and upgrade everything he has, and might even pull a Tiger and find some entertainment for those nights he is bored.

What he would not do:

1. TURN DOWN THE MONEY AND DEMAND THAT IT BE SPLIT BETWEEN THE OTHER WORKERS IN THE COMPANY THAT HELP MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD.

2. TELL THE BOSS THAT HE DOSEN'T THINK IT IS FAIR THAT ONE EMPLOYEE MAKES MORE FOR HIS WORK THAN ANOTHER EMPLOYEE IN THE SAME TYPE POSITION IN A DIFFERENT DISCIPLINE.

3. WOULD NOT GET ON THIS BOARD AND RUN DOWN A MAN FOR TAKING WHAT HIS EMPLOYER HAS DETERMINED IS HIS FAIR MARKET VALUE TO THE ORGANIZATION HE REPRESENTS.

In all reality, coaches in almost every sport in both College and the Pros, hell some high schools, are making more than the teachers and those that expand the academic horizons of thier players and staff. That is the nature of the game , and, like someone has already said, if the athletic program (football in particular) is bringing in over 60 million per year to the organization, then you pay the leader of that organization to keep up the good work and make those incoming dollars continue and grow. THAT IS GOOD BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, NO MATTER WHAT BUSINESS YOU ARE IN>!!!!!!

TxAthlete
12-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Just shows that coaching is not all about Xs, Os, Ws, or Ls. Got a little bit of life thrown in there too. Mack appears, at least, to have a pretty good grasp on both aspects.

Cotton
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Mack is clueless? What? Take a look at the 10-15 years of Texas football before Mack arrived and explain to me how you believe Mack is clueless. Say you don't like Mack or say he doesn't actually do much X and O coaching, but to say he is clueless is ignoring the fact the tremendous success he has had at Texas. Just take a look at the 15 years before he got there. No clue, in my opinion, you seem to be the one without a clue if you can't recognize what Mack has done.

BILLYFRED0000
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM

You always miss the point. The athletic department MAKES money which is funneled into the school on several levels. So Mack is paid for and his department shows a surplus. They could pay him more and it would still be a good trade. However I do believe that what he has is more than enough.

ivchris
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You're absolutely right. Let's just pay them both the same hourly wage. Then it'll all come out.

Look, I love Mack Brown as much as anyone. He seems like a genuinely good guy who genuinely cares about his kids and if anyone deserves that raise it's him. But Keith may have actually stumbled across something worth talking about.

Maya Angelou attracts a ton of students of students to Wake Forest just because she teaches classes and is very involved with the performing arts there on campus (at least last I heard she was still involved there). Still, what does the university pay her? I have no idea, but I'm guessing that the most she could possibly make would be a quarter million, and that's being generous. And this is from a living legend, possibly one of the most sought-after scholars in the world. At the top of her profession, just like Mack Brown.

Simple fact of the matter is that we pay Mack's salary and we put the priority on athletics over academics. It's evident when we pay close to $100 a ticket to watch someone like A&M (who was 7-5) play conference games against other non-elite teams.

On that note, I will say that he's one of the two active college coaches (Pete Carroll being the other) that I would give that kind of money to based on both results and also how they seem to treat their players and staff.

Mack Brown helps pack a stadium every Saturday and brings a cash flow into the University. I don't see it any different than paying someone a commision on sales.

Like I did say though, apples to oranges. If the profs don't like their salaries, they can always go into coaching since it's such an easy thing to do.

I don't set the salaries of either, or I'd pay profs more, but I'm sure not going to deny Coach Brown or any other coach their salary because their contract is to win games. Brining in fans to the stadiums to buy tickets, concessions and all the extras that happen on Saturday isn't because some art professor is giving a lesson on painting, it's because the coach has given them something they want to see.

Gobbla2001
12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
The coolest thing about all of this? Keith's gettin' called out and can't reply... bwahaha

Cotton
12-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Think about this keith, Texas pays Mack 5 million a year, while the football team brings somewhere around 85 million. UNT pays Dodge a million a year and brings in $277 in a good year. Seriously, if you look at percentages, one could argue that UNT cares less than Texas. For Texas it's a drop in the bucket. For UNT, it is a substantial amount.

Myself, I am just glad Texas isn't willing to sell their soul like UNT has tried to do for football.

slpybear the bullfan
12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
So, Keith, if you have an issue with what Mack is paid, what is your opinion of the $78 million that UNT is going to spend on a new stadium. You know, the new stadium that;

...will seat 30,000. (which is a ZERO percent increase from the existing capacity at Fouts Field of 30,000.)
...is going to be built right across the highway from the existing stadium
...is being built for one of the worst performing football teams in Div I
...is being paid for by donations, private monies, and increasing student per semester hour fees as a designated Atheletic fee

So, just how is this not UNT putting atheletics ahead of academics? Surely there would be some better use in academics for $78MM instead of a new/same/copyofexising football stadium?

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/oct/30/texas-higher-education-board-approves-new-unt-foot/

TheDOCTORdre
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
So, Keith, if you have an issue with what Mack is paid, what is your opinion of the $78 million that UNT is going to spend on a new stadium. You know, the new stadium that;

...will seat 30,000. (which is a ZERO percent increase from the existing capacity at Fouts Field of 30,000.)
...is going to be built right across the highway from the existing stadium
...is being built for one of the worst performing football teams in Div I
...is being paid for by donations, private monies, and increasing student per semester hour fees as a designated Atheletic fee

So, just how is this not UNT putting atheletics ahead of academics? Surely there would be some better use in academics for $78MM instead of a new/same/copyofexising football stadium?

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/oct/30/texas-higher-education-board-approves-new-unt-foot/

you better watch yourself, we all know that Keith doesnt tolerate logical arguements:D

ivchris
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
you better watch yourself, we all know that Keith doesnt tolerate logical arguements:D

Yep, he's vapor locked right now with his t-shirt up over his head walking around saying "My name is Cornholio"...

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
All he does is coach a GAME. His job really doesn't matter in the big scheme of life, so why should any of those coaches get paid the amounts they do. There's people everywhere losing their jobs and some of u think it justifiable to give him that money cause he has won a couple of football games.

GrTigers6
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mlb04stangs
All he does is coach a GAME. His job really doesn't matter in the big scheme of life, so why should any of those coaches get paid the amounts they do. There's people everywhere losing their jobs and some of u think it justifiable to give him that money cause he has won a couple of football games. because of him the school brings in 20 times that much so yeah its justified

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
All he does is coach a GAME. His job really doesn't matter in the big scheme of life, so why should any of those coaches get paid the amounts they do. There's people everywhere losing their jobs and some of u think it justifiable to give him that money cause he has won a couple of football games.

Dont think he is getting this for simply coaching a game...He is getting this because he is bringing in about 17 TIMES MORE MONEY than the 5 million.

Cotton
12-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Well, because the "game" he coaches is very popular and he is doing very well. Keep in mind the "game" brings in a lot of money to the school. Keeps big time donors actively linked with the school and gets national exposure that advertising can't buy. Take a look at the biggest donors to UT and you will see that they also donate millions to the school's academics as well. Bottom line is capitalism is alive and well at UT, not sure why anyone would be against free market principles.

One other flaw in your argument: you assume that his job doesn't really matter in the big scheme of life. No true. Football coaches can have a bigger impact on their students than most professors. While the game of football isn't important, the influence many coaches have over thousands of young men is certainly important. Libraries would overflow if you published a book on every kid that has been positively influenced by sports, which led to success in other areas. That can't be said for english 101.

Emerson1
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll post this link again

Mack Brown is going to influence every single player he coaches. Same can't be said for a professor teaching some class that the school makes you pay for that you don't really need in the big scheme of life.

Athletic department has donated 6 million over the past couple years to the school. That 6 million was available because Mack won games.

Originally posted by Cotton
That can't be said for english 101.
Or theater appreciation, or any science class for non-science majors ect. ect.

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
He might bring the people to the game, but before he got there they were probably selling out because their one of the biggest schools out there. But just compare him to Stoops who has way more Big 12 titles and have won more national championships let alone play for them. So what has he really done besides win 10 games a year for however many seasons now, its not hard to do when u schedule people like UTEP and Rice for ur non conference games. Thats the whole reason they were passed up over Oklahoma last year. Oklahoma played to ranked opponets and beat them while Texas didin't play one top 25 team in non conference. To be the best have to play the best!!!!!

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
If he has that big of an impact and it's not really bout the money, maybe he should just become a tutor or guidance counselor.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Stoops BTW made over 6 million in 08 with a bonus and makes annually about 4.3 millions

Emerson1
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
He might bring the people to the game, but before he got there they were probably selling out because their one of the biggest schools out there. But just compare him to Stoops who has way more Big 12 titles and have won more national championships let alone play for them. So what has he really done besides win 10 games a year for however many seasons now, its not hard to do when u schedule people like UTEP and Rice for ur non conference games. Thats the whole reason they were passed up over Oklahoma last year. Oklahoma played to ranked opponets and beat them while Texas didin't play one top 25 team in non conference. To be the best have to play the best!!!!!
and your true agenda comes out

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
The only reason I brought Stoops into it is to show by comparison to someone else in the same conference he would be the second best coach, does anyone else get raises or praises for being second best.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
The only reason I brought Stoops into it is to show by comparison to someone else in the same conference he would be the second best coach, does anyone else get raises or praises for being second best.

AGAIN..Brown's raise is not just because of on field success..it is also because HOW MUCH MONEY UT ATHLETICS is bringing in and his one of if not the BIGGEST reason why

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Hes not the AD right so he only has to do with football, Texas mens basketball #2 right now until North Carolina takes it to them tomorrow, Girls volleyball was in the national semis I seen last night on tv baseball team made finals last year and as far as program Augie has had way more success than Brown, so why arnt all these people equal to Mac?

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:03 PM
In pay?

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
In pay?

u have an agenda..people have pointed out MANY times that the football program brought in 87 million of 120 million in revenue. You act like you dont see it so you dont respond.

If you want to alk on the field fine..most wins in the decade. 3-0 BCS Bowls..playing for their 2nd Title in Jan. 7-2 in bowl games

Deuce
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Hes not the AD right so he only has to do with football, Texas mens basketball #2 right now until North Carolina takes it to them tomorrow, Girls volleyball was in the national semis I seen last night on tv baseball team made finals last year and as far as program Augie has had way more success than Brown, so why arnt all these people equal to Mac?

Football makes alot more $$.

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
No u said in the post above ATHLETICS which includes everyone not just football, which I just pointed out Mac isn't the only one at Texas winning.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
No u said in the post above ATHLETICS which includes everyone not just football, which I just pointed out Mac isn't the only one at Texas winning.

And I pointed out that 87 million of the 120 was brought in by the football program

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
so why shouldn't Pelini get payed more than Brown. Nebraska has sold out every home game since 1962 even though the down years they sold out, can't say that bout Texas.

Buckeye1980
12-18-2009, 12:28 PM

I see yopur point , but you are wrong

For example.....

you have 3 salesmen

#1 sales is 85000
#2 sales is 35000
#3 sales is 15000

all 3 are winners , but do all 3 deserve the same bonus?

Deuce
12-18-2009, 12:28 PM
so why shouldn't Pelini get payed more than Brown. Nebraska has sold out every home game since 1962 even though the down years they sold out, can't say that bout Texas.

Pelini has not won anything!

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Dosen't matter everyone else is talking bout money being brought in by the team, no other team in collage has a sell out record close next closest tram is 100 games away, so as far as generating money nobody's generated more than them over the last 40 years.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:32 PM

whatever..your now just trying to again push your agenda that you dont think Mack Brown deserves it. That is fine. When Nebraska football wins a NC, plays in another AND brings in 87 million then that is an argument u can make

My question..does Bob Stoops deserve 10 million over the last two years?

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
It's no agenda just used ur argument against u bout the money thing I've said Texas is the second best and everyone keeps telling me it's all bout the money, so what I just said is based on that argument that u made to me first.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
It's no agenda just used ur argument against u bout the money thing I've said Texas is the second best and everyone keeps telling me it's all bout the money, so what I just said is based on that argument that u made to me first.

you did not use my argument agianst me..the football program brought in 87 million of the 120 million. THAT is my argument

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
In which I said they SOLD OUT EVERY GAME SINCE 62. 40 years of money making.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Because with the #2 team in the nation, the basketball team can't sell out the Erwin Center and isn't even in the top 10 in revenue. Volleyball is a non-revenue sport (as in, it usually loses money). Texas football brings in roughly 72% of all athletic revenue - they carry some of our other sports (ie womens volleyball, track/field,soccer).

Since Mack has taken over the helm, enough money has been brought for the football program to increase stadium capacity 20% (80k to 100k, roughly). In 2006 alone, the program made $38.7MM in PROFIT, not gross. Simply, they print their own money.

He doesn't have down years, he puts fans in the seats, he has as many NCs as most other current prominent coaches save for Urban Meyer (Stoops only has one as a term of comparison, since you used it first. Also, FYI this is Saban's second trip to the NC as well). If this was a business, it would make total economic sense to do this to keep him. But some people just want to look at all the down reasons. If the academic dept does not want the $6MM Texas football has given them, they give it back.

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
and If all the other programs are losing all the money, then maybe they should just be dropped all together.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-18-2009, 12:45 PM
In which I said they SOLD OUT EVERY GAME SINCE 62. 40 years of money making.

Yet they can't even break the top 10 in football revenue. And the stadium didn't hold 80k people until 06.

If I sell out a stadium for 62 years, but it holds 10k people, should I make as much as someone who sells out a stdium that holds 100k? Gotta talk actual numbers if you want to make that argument.

GrTigers6
so why shouldn't Pelini get payed more than Brown. Nebraska has sold out every home game since 1962 even though the down years they sold out, can't say that bout Texas. Whats the capacity of that stadium if its 30000 then thats not much revenue

Txbroadcaster
You never answered my question

Does Bob Stoops deserve 10 million combined for the 08 and 09 season?

BreckTxLonghorn
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
and If all the other programs are losing all the money, then maybe they should just be dropped all together.

Title IX.

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:49 PM
NOBODY deserves the money they make and that was my whole point to begin with, there's way more important people in the world who probably deserve some of that money.

themsu97
12-18-2009, 12:52 PM
NOBODY deserves the money they make and that was my whole point to begin with, there's way more important people in the world who probably deserve some of that money.

then you must have failed basic economics... if someone is willing to pay you x amount of dollars, then you are worth it...

how many of you have actually met Mack Brown and talked to him?

GrTigers6
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
NOBODY deserves the money they make and that was my whole point to begin with, there's way more important people in the world who probably deserve some of that money. Then why dont we pay everyone the same no matter how they perform or their education level or job titleand see how that works:crazy1:

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Like it or not..if a person is responsible for bringing in 87 million( Brown for Texas) and 42 Million(Stoops OU) they are going to get a cut of that.

If they did not it would be unfair

mlb04stangs
12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
This is the reason the economy went down in the first place, to many greedy people in America, I don't want to have it all, I just wanna have enough.
I don't want to have it all, I just wanna have enough.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
This is the reason the economy went down in the first place, to many greedy people in America, I don't want to have it all, I just wanna have enough.

No it went down because people with greed were making money when the company itself was failing.

UT Sports is making money hand over fist. Mack Brown getting 5 million of 120 million is a small dent

If you made your company 87 million and they offered u 5 million as a reward would you say no?

TheDOCTORdre
12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
No it went down because people with greed were making money when the company itself was failing.

UT Sports is making money hand over fist. Mack Brown getting 5 million of 120 million is a small dent

If you made your company 87 million and they offered u 5 million as a reward would you say no?

the way this guy is talking, it sounds like he might actually turn it down, because he lacks basic intelligence:D

IHStangFan
12-18-2009, 11:20 PM
The coolest thing about all of this? Keith's gettin' called out and can't reply... bwahaha LOL!!! and then there was peace....and the people rejoiced....and it was good :D

TheDOCTORdre
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
The coolest thing about all of this? Keith's gettin' called out and can't reply... bwahaha

even if he could reply, it wouldnt matterm his comebacks suck:D

IHStangFan
12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
even if he could reply, it wouldnt matterm his comebacks suck:D ZING!!! :D