PDA

View Full Version : SMU Computer Directions

dirtydan
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Some of the Abilene & Gilmer fans used the same directions to get to SMU. I-30 to Central Expwy/Hwy 75 to Mockingbird exit. Thru traffic on Cent Expwy was normal, but the Mockingbird exit ramp was backed up, it seems like two miles and it took us about one hour to get off of it and we were late for the game.
Carthage & Graham may be headed for those same computer directions. Some of those that use Central Expwy could stay in the thru traffic lanes and exit past Mockingbird and turn around on Yale in the U turn lane, head back south on Central Expwy to Mockingbird or another route for Carthage would be the way the crows fly, exit I-30 in mesquite onto North Loop 12/Buckner Blvd go around north dallas to Mockingbird, or past it and go onto Central Expwy turn south exit at Mockingbird.
Some of Graham could also go 820/183 to Loop 12. Sitting in traffic is no fun for Etexans.

Pendragon13
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
To be honest, I think there are better venues for high school playoffs/championship games than SMU. The stadium itself was pretty nice and about the right size for a 3A championship....but getting there is a pain, and the security shakedown at the gate combined with the fact they didn't even bother to run the video screen soured me on that place. My best advice to anyone going is this:
1. leave early
2. see #1

Ranger Mom
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
We got there at 4:00 and had no problem with traffic or parking. Walked right into the stadium with no problems.

Same with leaving....drove right out of the parking lot, hit 75 and were at my mom's in 45 minutes!

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Everyone keeps talking about the video screens..Well in 95% of the stadiums with those screens the SCHOOLS PLAYING decide to have it on or not for an extra fee

3afan
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
there are 20+ venues in DFW that can host a 3A playoff game

Keith7
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
just follow the smell of douche bags and it will lead you to SMU

Pendragon13
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Everyone keeps talking about the video screens..Well in 95% of the stadiums with those screens the SCHOOLS PLAYING decide to have it on or not for an extra fee If that is so then it must have been Gilmer not willing to pay their part...or SMU trying to charge an outrageous fee. In every one of Wylie's playoff games we had the video going...I can't imagine not doing it for the state championship. In any case, I still think there are better venues in and around the metroplex.

3afan
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
.... there are better venues in and around the metroplex.

you would be correct!

I don't know why schools even choose to go to SMU .... yeah its a "big time college venue" but thats about it

Astrosdawg07
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
you would be correct!

I don't know why schools even choose to go to SMU .... yeah its a "big time college venue" but thats about it

I'm not sure I would even say its a "big time college venue."

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Mesquite Memorial would have made a lot of sense. Both schools hop on 20 and make about 2 turns to get to the stadium. Not going to be 20,000 people at the game anyways.

Matthew328
12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree Memorial is nice and plenty big enough. Did anyone use the train?

bobcat4life
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I'm not sure I would even say its a "big time college venue." +1

Ranger Mom
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I'm not sure I would even say its a "big time college venue."

I wasn't that impressed with it...I think Grande in Midland is just as nice, and it's a high school stadium!

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I didn't care for that venue either. There are soooooo many other venues in the area that would have been less of a headache!

I didn't have any problem with parking, but that's probably because I was there 5 hours early! :rolleyes: :mad: :D

Pick6
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
at my mom's

:mad: :mad:

squid
12-15-2009, 05:41 PM
We ate at Chuy's on Knox St before the game. Left out of there on Abbott St. Abbott runs north right into the stadium. We had no trouble getting on campus, but I could see traffic on Mockingbird backed up all the way to 75.

Ranger Mom
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
:mad: :mad:

What?!? I'm not allowed to go to my mom's???

slingshot
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
We got to the Mockingbird exit and sat for about 20 minutes and maybe moved 50'... it was 30 min before gametime. That wasn't working. I pulled out and took the next exit (don't remember the name) and crossed over 75 and drove down into the SMU campus--after about 10 blocks I could see the lights and drove right to it, parked in the museum parking garage ($5), walked less than 2 min to the stadium and made it as they were singing the national anthem... if I had stayed on Mockingbird I would have maybe got there at halftime :mad: .

txsfootball4lif
12-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We got there at 4:00 and had no problem with traffic or parking. Walked right into the stadium with no problems.

Same with leaving....drove right out of the parking lot, hit 75 and were at my mom's in 45 minutes!

haha well you were lucky! I left Ruidoso NM at 3am and arrived at the stadium and in my seat around 6:03pm.

dirtydan
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
We got to the Mockingbird exit and sat for about 20 minutes and maybe moved 50'... it was 30 min before gametime. That wasn't working. I pulled out and took the next exit (don't remember the name) and crossed over 75 and drove down into the SMU campus--after about 10 blocks I could see the lights and drove right to it, parked in the museum parking garage ($5), walked less than 2 min to the stadium and made it as they were singing the national anthem... if I had stayed on Mockingbird I would have maybe got there at halftime :mad: .

The biggest problem with mockingbird/75 exit is the traffic light at the top of mockingbird. it stays green for 10 seconds and turn red for minute and a half each time, only 2 maybe three cars can turn onto mockingbird.

Deuce
12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by txsfootball4lif
haha well you were lucky! I left Ruidoso NM at 3am and arrived at the stadium and in my seat around 6:03pm.

Holy cow, thats a long drive. Love that place!

steers2
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by dirtydan
The biggest problem with mockingbird/75 exit is the traffic light at the top of mockingbird. it stays green for 10 seconds and turn red for minute and a half each time, only 2 maybe three cars can turn onto mockingbird.

is the exit any better if you are going south on 75 and exit??