PDA

View Full Version : Corpus sucks as a WWE venue...

big daddy russ
12-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Raw was awful. But on the other hand, it was fun watching Vince get pissed off.

Sweetwater Red
12-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I stream a rock station out of Corpus at work. They have been advertising Raw heavily
for about a month. It made me almost wanna go and I'm not even into wrestling. Lol

What sucked about it?

big daddy russ
12-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Everything from the show itself to the crowd involvement.

TexasHSFootball
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
The show itself was fine.. but the crowd's lack of involvement really dragged down the show even on TV. Maybe it was Dennis Miller's jokes.. whatever it was, Dennis Miller's comedy didn't exactly fit the target audience or crowd that was there.

Gobbla2001
12-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Hmmm... believe you meant "WWE sucks at any venue", russ:p

Antec
12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Smackdown was in Houston last Tuesday and aired on Friday

Smackdown is worse than Raw

The guests hots on Raw haven't been that great-They need to get some retired wrestlers

They had that midget guy a couple of weeks ago.

Raw will never be the same it was 10-15 years ago- Miss Gorilla Moonsoon and Bobby The Brain Hennan--

JR is out for while with Bells Palsley however you spell it

Diocletian
12-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Those shows are more entertaining to watch on TV than actually going to them.

I learned that a long time ago, when I went to Wrestlemania 7 in Los Angeles. There was so much lead time and delays it was incredibly boring at times... don't get me wrong though, the before and after is almost worth the trip itself. Seeing and meeting the stars is quite fun.

One thing I noticed after going to a Saturday show here in Corpus is that there isn't a lot of before and after time with the stars.... that might be why you had such a horrible time.

I've lived here since 2000 and so far the best things to do are:

1. Eat out.
2. Movies
3. Beach

All 3 in that order...

Z-RO
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Every since WWE bought WCW every form of "professional" wrestling has sucked

IHStangFan
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Corpus sucks as a venue for anything "professional" period. It's simply not big enough. The city population is just under 300,000 and the "metro" area is around 400,000. Couple that w/ the average median household income versus larger, more prosperous cities. It just doesn't bode well for the city and hosting professional sports. If it isn't an up an coming act in the Texas Country music circuit, a wind surfing competition, or something having to do w/ Selena.....it will never make it in Corpus Christi.

big daddy russ
12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I agree, B. The US Open Windsurfing event does well.

But you know, I was at Wrestlemania back in April up here in Houston and I had a great time. Even though most of the actual show sucked (except for the Undertaker/HBK match), crowd involvement was great. And that was at Reliant Stadium.

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Hmmm... believe you meant "WWE sucks at any venue", russ:p
Don't hate. I love this stuff.

Originally posted by Antec
Smackdown was in Houston last Tuesday and aired on Friday

Smackdown is worse than Raw

The guests hots on Raw haven't been that great-They need to get some retired wrestlers

They had that midget guy a couple of weeks ago.

Raw will never be the same it was 10-15 years ago- Miss Gorilla Moonsoon and Bobby The Brain Hennan--

JR is out for while with Bells Palsley however you spell it
I agree with all this. I stopped DVR'ing Smackdown because of how stale it's become. Bunch of loose ends on storylines, random storylines, just a piss poor show nowadays.

I was always more of a WCW fan growing up, but I started migrating towards WWF in the Stone Cold/Rock/Mick Foley heyday about ten years ago.

Originally posted by Diocletian
One thing I noticed after going to a Saturday show here in Corpus is that there isn't a lot of before and after time with the stars.... that might be why you had such a horrible time.

I've lived here since 2000 and so far the best things to do are:

1. Eat out.
2. Movies
3. Beach

All 3 in that order...
I actually wasn't there, just saw it on TV.

Yeah, if you're not a BIG fan of the beach and water sports, Corpus gets real old real quick. Winters are awful because there's no beach, and summers can be that way for someone who isn't a beach person.

It's my kinda town for six months out of the year, but when it's cold it's miserable. Don't know where you came from, Diocletian, but I can see why you'd get bored with it.

eagles_victory
12-16-2009, 12:47 AM
The IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) has been way down on the WWE now for about 2 years problem is right now the mid card is so stale, the main event needs new blood (which they are actually doing a little better with) and the special guest host thing has ran its run and at this point needs to be did away with. Some weeks it was good if you had a host with the right personality and really wanted to get involved but when you had host who were just there to advertise something and were horrible on camera (ZZ Top was the worst) it brought the whole show down.

I havent really been much of a Smackdown fan for the past 4 or 5 years it is all about pushing the younger talent which has to be done but it is just too much pushing of young talent for me and it gets really bland with the same rivalries going on for way too long. Smackdown needs more established superstars to carry the load which has gotten a little better recently Jericho Batista (who is terrible) and the Taker although I really think they miss Edge great on the mic and great in the ring. I would say the last 2 to 3 years have been the lowest WWE has been as far as quality since around the mid 90's ( I have been watching since I was 4 or 5)

sinton66
12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Corpus Christi will never change. The powers that be there don't want it to change. They want to be a sleepy little seaside village. They have had so many opportunities to magnify the tourism in that town it's not even funny anymore.

They had opportunities to have:
1) Sea World (went to San Antonio after Corpus turned them down.)
2) Fiesta Texas (Went to San Antonio after Corpus turned them down.)
3) Schlitterbahn (Went to South Padre after Corpus turned them down.)
4) Bass Pro Shop (Wanted the Memorial Coliseum area, went to `San Antonio after Corpus turned them down.)

Maroon87
12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Corpus Christi will never change. The powers that be there don't want it to change. They want to be a sleepy little seaside village. They have had so many opportunities to magnify the tourism in that town it's not even funny anymore.

4) Bass Pro Shop (Wanted the Memorial Coliseum area, went to `San Antonio after Corpus turned them down.)

Yep...I know at some point they'll screw up the sweet deal they have with the Hooks too.

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) has been way down on the WWE now for about 2 years problem is right now the mid card is so stale, the main event needs new blood (which they are actually doing a little better with) and the special guest host thing has ran its run and at this point needs to be did away with. Some weeks it was good if you had a host with the right personality and really wanted to get involved but when you had host who were just there to advertise something and were horrible on camera (ZZ Top was the worst) it brought the whole show down.

I havent really been much of a Smackdown fan for the past 4 or 5 years it is all about pushing the younger talent which has to be done but it is just too much pushing of young talent for me and it gets really bland with the same rivalries going on for way too long. Smackdown needs more established superstars to carry the load which has gotten a little better recently Jericho Batista (who is terrible) and the Taker although I really think they miss Edge great on the mic and great in the ring. I would say the last 2 to 3 years have been the lowest WWE has been as far as quality since around the mid 90's ( I have been watching since I was 4 or 5)

It went down in the mid 90's for the EXACT same reason it is down now..no viable competiton. Without another Fed truly pushing WWE it has no need to push itself and the results are what we have now

AP Panther Fan
12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

4) Bass Pro Shop (Wanted the Memorial Coliseum area, went to `San Antonio after Corpus turned them down.) ]

And now they (Corpus) want to build an olympic swimming facility where the old coliseum sits - ridiculous idea.

Nothing against swimming/swimmers, but surely something different would benefit the community more.

eagles_victory
12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It went down in the mid 90's for the EXACT same reason it is down now..no viable competiton. Without another Fed truly pushing WWE it has no need to push itself and the results are what we have now TNA is making a push I don't know if they have what it takes to provide legit competiton by looking at some of their attendance problem but the talent on the roster top to bottom is pretty strong a lot of young talent. But there still trying to push guys in the main event who all old as dirt (Nash, Foley, Steiner) They took a big step recently in declaring they were moving their show to Monday night the first Monday of the year to challenge Raw in the ratings; however I don't think it is a permanent move.

Emerson1
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I went to WM 25, but now I can hardly watch it.

Downloaded the TLC PPV since I figured there would be some big bumps. Christian got busted open, they STOPPED the match and fixed him up. I can see them doing this for Raw or SD, but a PPV???

I know they want it to be PG, but that is just stupid. Especially for the ECW Title

Maroon87
12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I remember the good old days of going to see World Class wrestling at the old Coliseum in Corpus with the Von Erichs and the Freebirds. Occasionally Ric Flair would come to town for a world title defense. He was The Man...

That's also when I truly discovered it was all staged. My friends and I stopped for Big Gulps at a 7-11 near the arena after the matches, only to see Iceman Parsons and Terry Gordy drive up in the same car after they had just wrestled in a Texas Death match LMAO...

I also remember seeing the 4 Horsemen vs. the Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes, and Sting in a cage match at the old Sam Houston coliseum in Houston. It was part of the Great Amaerican Bash tour back in '87 or '88. I also shook hands with the legendary promoter Paul Boesch that night. Good times!:2thumbsup

Bull Butter
12-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Occasionally Ric Flair would come to town for a world title defense. He was The Man...

To be the man......................

CelinaCatFan
12-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Woooooooooooo! The Naycha Boy...Stylin and Profilin...lol