PDA

View Full Version : Field Goal Question

wimbo_pro
12-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Don't know why I thought of it, but I gotta question regarding field goals...

Can a defender "block" a field goal attempt right at the goal post? I know this might be a little silly...but imagine a 55+ yard field goal attempt that is being made for the game winner...and there is a defender standing under the goal post who can swat away anything that barely clears the crossbar (it's only 10' high, correct?). Many field goals at this distance just barely clear. Is this allowed? If not, what if blocks it and then catches it before it hits the ground? We all know you can return field goal attempts if they fall short.

BaseballUmp
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
That's one i would definately like to see!!!

BwdLion_80
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Goaltending since the ball was on the way down! :thinking: :doh: :p :p :D

sinfan75
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes they can and you better have your highest leaper to block it.

Looking4number8
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Another field goal question I have is on a fake FG the holder always takes the snap with his knee on the ground, why is it that he can get up and run or throw the ball. Isnt he already down?

dawg4life
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Another field goal question I have is on a fake FG the holder always takes the snap with his knee on the ground, why is it that he can get up and run or throw the ball. Isnt he already down?

Haven't we discussed this time in and time out? i mean i dont know it...but we still ask about it

wimbo_pro
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
There are many players on every pro/college team that can swat away a ball at 10 feet (plus a little bit).

eagles_victory
12-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
There are many players on every pro/college team that can swat away a ball at 10 feet (plus a little bit). Im pretty sure you would have to be standing in bounds to do it so the ball if it was going to be good would pass you at the least 12 or 13 feet.

Emerson1
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
No. There is a rule in place for this.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Im pretty sure you would have to be standing in bounds to do it so the ball if it was going to be good would pass you at the least 12 or 13 feet.

i dunno, Eagles. I think the crossbar is actually directly above the boundry line. A 6'-something, athletic stud could easily swat away a ball (or at least tip one away) that was barely making it.

eagles_victory
12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
i dunno, Eagles. I think the crossbar is actually directly above the boundry line. A 6'-something, athletic stud could easily swat away a ball (or at least tip one away) that was barely making it. I guess it is kind of like robbing a baseball at the wall takes a great athlete and great timing.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I guess it is kind of like robbing a baseball at the wall takes a great athlete and great timing.

True...but there are plenty out there that fit that description.

Back to the original question...would it be legal?

TexMike
12-15-2009, 06:52 AM
The batting of the kick would be illegal. The bat occurs in the end zone which makes it a foul. You cannot bat a loose ball (and a kick is a loose ball) in any direction in the end zone.

There is an exception to the rules regarding when a ball becomes dead that permits the holder of a placekick to be "down" without being DOWN as long as there is a player in position to kick a place kick or who has just faked making one.

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TexMike
The batting of the kick would be illegal. The bat occurs in the end zone which makes it a foul. You cannot bat a loose ball (and a kick is a loose ball) in any direction in the end zone.

OK..but what if he tips it then catches it as it falls into the end zone? Would that be legal?

TexMike
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Very good! If the official judges the guy was trying to catch the kick but just muffed it, perfectly legal. It would reslt in a touchback.

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Very good! If the official judges the guy was trying to catch the kick but just muffed it, perfectly legal. It would reslt in a touchback.

Ok...then why do you think no one tries it with a long FG on the way and the game on the line?

TexMike
12-15-2009, 01:01 PM
For the same reason why on a KO where the ball is getting close to the sideline, receivers will just watch it roll , hoping it will go out of bounds, instead of just stepping out of bounds and then reaching in to pick up the ball. Lack of rules knowledge by players and , more importantly, by coaches.

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
For the same reason why on a KO where the ball is getting close to the sideline, receivers will just watch it roll , hoping it will go out of bounds, instead of just stepping out of bounds and then reaching in to pick up the ball. Lack of rules knowledge by players and , more importantly, by coaches.

Good point, the stepping out of bounds thing.

scrub c
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM

HUH????
You cant go out of bounds and grab the ball on the field of play.

TexMike
12-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh yes you can. It makes the ball dead immediately though. And if you do it on the kickoff it makes the kick a kick out of bounds which is a foul on the kicking team.

Maroon87
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM

I saw someone do that a year or two ago...can't remember if it was college or NFL, but the announcers were talking about what a smart move it was.

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I saw someone do that a year or two ago...can't remember if it was college or NFL, but the announcers were talking about what a smart move it was.
Think it was Josh Cribbs

kaorder1999
12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh yes you can. It makes the ball dead immediately though. And if you do it on the kickoff it makes the kick a kick out of bounds which is a foul on the kicking team.

thats a stupid rule. Very stupid rule. Where is it in the rule book? WHat happened to going out of bounds and then being the first person to touch the ball? Why doesnt this hold up here?

We had officials that cant get small things,,,very small things right.....im sure they knew about this rule though....

Bullaholic
12-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Here's one I have always wondered about---Why do teams kick an onside kick off of the tee and on the ground? Can you use the punter to kick the ball sky high and shallow? Seems like the odds of recovering a jump ball under these conditions would be even better.

I'm going to answer my own question---I think you have to use a tee or kick the ball off the ground on all but punts and a safety,

TexMike
12-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
thats a stupid rule. Very stupid rule. WHat happened to going out of bounds and then being the first person to touch the ball? Why doesnt this hold up here?

We had officials that cant get small things,,,very small things right.....im sure they knew about this rule though....

Well I bet most officials don't confuse basketball and football rules. There is no rule in football that prevents a defensive team player from going out of bounds and being first to touch the ball. In fact, that rule only applies to offensive receivers who go out. They are not allowed to touch a legal forward pass until the defense has touched it. But that is the only restriction.

TexMike
12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Here's one I have always wondered about---Why do teams kick an onside kick off of the tee and on the ground? Can you use the punter to kick the ball sky high and shallow? Seems like the odds of recovering a jump ball under these conditions would be even better.

I'm going to answer my own question---I think you have to use a tee or kick the ball off the ground on all but punts and a safety,

good answer! Can we get you to join a local Chapter? You are ready!

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM

And the receiving team would just call fair catch.

Maroon87
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Think it was Josh Cribbs

That sounds right...:thinking:

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Good question...and I once heard that you have the option after a safety to either punt of place kick the ball. Is this true, or am I dreaming?

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Found the answer...you can either punt, drop kick or place kick without a tee after a safety. So i guess they can't kick without a tee as far as a punt?

Bullaholic
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
TexMike---You ever eject anybody other than a player from a game? What kind of authority do you have if an offender refuses to leave the stadium after ejection? Does threatening an official carry any more penalties other than just the criminal charges?

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
TexMike---You ever eject anybody other than a player from a game? What kind of authority do you have if an offender refuses to leave the stadium after ejection? Does threatening an official carry any more penalties other than just the criminal charges?

TexMike...also, is it inappropriate to offer "under the table" payment to refs before the game using American Express cards? i know they charge a higher percentage than does, lets say, MasterCard...but I find it more convenient as we here in Wimberley work hard to keep our "homer call" reputation in tact.

GrTigers6
12-15-2009, 08:23 PM
TexMike...also, is it inappropriate to offer "under the table" payment to refs before the game using American Express cards? i know they charge a higher percentage than does, lets say, MasterCard...but I find it more convenient as we here in Wimberley work hard to keep our "homer call" reputation in tact. I KNEW IT !!!!! :D :D :D

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
I KNEW IT !!!!! :D :D :D

Wow...I thought that was sent as a private message....

TexMike
12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
TexMike...also, is it inappropriate to offer "under the table" payment to refs before the game using American Express cards? i know they charge a higher percentage than does, lets say, MasterCard...but I find it more convenient as we here in Wimberley work hard to keep our "homer call" reputation in tact.
Like anyone in Wimberley even has an American Express card!!!!

TexMike
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM

I have never ejected anyone except a player. Others are subject to being ejected only if they fall under the jurisdiction of the officials, i.e. coaches, team officials, trainers, cheerleaders, mascots, etc. Simple fans do not fall under the jurisdiction. All we can do is request game administration (or the local law) deal with those kinds of folks.

wimbo_pro
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Like anyone in Wimberley even has an American Express card!!!!

Ohhhh...that hurt. That really hurt. LOL

kaorder1999
12-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Well I bet most officials don't confuse basketball and football rules. There is no rule in football that prevents a defensive team player from going out of bounds and being first to touch the ball. In fact, that rule only applies to offensive receivers who go out. They are not allowed to touch a legal forward pass until the defense has touched it. But that is the only restriction.

basketball and football rules? what are you talking about?

TexMike
12-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Basketball has rules about players who go out of bounds and then have to "re-establish" themselves before they can legally participate. Football does not have that rule,

shamu85
12-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I have never ejected anyone except a player. Others are subject to being ejected only if they fall under the jurisdiction of the officials, i.e. coaches, team officials, trainers, cheerleaders, mascots, etc. . Simple fans do not fall under the jurisdiction. All we can do is request game administration (or the local law) deal with those kinds of folks

Is this true for basketball, too?

Simple=Gump? j/k:D

TexMike
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Not sure I have heard about fans being booted from gyms so maybe different for them

GrTigers6
12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I've seen the referees go to the School Officials and have them ask them to leave at basketball games.

BwdLion_80
12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Game administrators are supposed to be the ones that make any trouble makers leave the gym. Not saying that it works that way all the time, but that is the way it is supposed to work.