PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Past 10 Years of DI Champs

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Here are the DI State Champs for the last 10 years. How would you rank each of them as a team?

99'- Liberty-Eylau

2000- Gatesville

01'- Everman

02'- Everman

03'- Gainesville

04'- Abilene Wylie

05'- Wimberley

06'- Liberty-Eylau

07'- Liberty Hill

08'- Prosper

09'- Gilmer

Here's mine:

1. Gainesville
2. Everman 02'
3. Liberty-Eylau 99'
4. Liberty Hill
5. Gilmer 09'
6. Everman 01'
7. Liberty-Eylau 06'
8. Prosper
9. Abiline Wylie
10.Gatesville

Cuss &Discuss....

garciap77
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's mine:

1. Everman 02'
2. Everman 01'
3. Gilmer 09'
4. Liberty Hill
5. Gainesville
6. Abiline Wylie
7.Gatesville
8. Liberty-Eylau 99'
9. Liberty-Eylau 06'
10. Prosper

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I did mine pretty quick, and I would agree that 09' Gilmer could be a little higher.

bowleghorses
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Ya'll are some bored sonofaguns. None of these teams ever played.:D

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
Ya'll are some bored sonofaguns. None of these teams ever played.:D

No, they never played, but I thought it might be fun to see how posters thought each team ranked compared to the other. Usually a discussion or two will spring up, and sometimes there are interesting insights into certain teams gained. And, of course, there are also heated debates between strong homers, too, which can be interesting if they don't get out of hand. There is only 1 game left on the 3A menu to discuss.

bowleghorses
12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah I think the second is more likely to happen. But it could get comical:)

pirate4state
12-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I saw the following teams:

'01 & '02 Everman
'05 Wimberely
'07 Liberty Hill
'09 Gilmer

I was impressed with them all, obviously, but the team that really sticks out was the '05 Texans. I really loved their defense.

I loved the offenses of '07 LH & '09 Gilmer.

Having lost to Everman in '01 ... well .... :foul: :mad: :D

bandera7
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
You first two left Wimberley 05 off altogether and they might be my #1

pirate4state
12-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
You first two left Wimberley 05 off altogether and they might be my #1 I know. There was just something about that team. WOW. I still talk about them 4 years later.

bandera7
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
They had an amazing defense. Their linebackers were special. I think they had two linebackers, LINEBACKERS, that ran in the 4.4 area in Buse and West (West was only a sophomore at the time).

pirate4state
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
They had an amazing defense. Their linebackers were special. I think they had two linebackers, LINEBACKERS, that ran in the 4.4 area in Buse and West (West was only a sophomore at the time). Exactly. They were lean, mean & bruising machines. It was awesome to watch!

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
03' Gainesville had Darcel McBath and several others almost as good on their "D". They were one of the most powerful 3A teams that I ever saw.

Keith7
12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
03' Gainesville had Darcel McBath and several others almost as good on their "D". They were one of the most powerful 3A teams that I ever saw.

Don't forget Clint Stoffells who is at Texas Tech right now, Chris Brown who went to Iowa State, Terrius Purvey who was the No. 6 running back recruit in the nation, Jerome Hewitt who was the top kick return man in the nation last year in Division II, Amos Berryman who was a three time state power lifting champion and a handfull of others who played Division II or III college ball. That team was loaded

Speaking of which did anyone see McBath intercept Peyton Manning yesterday? He's going to be a star one day in the NFL

RattlerDude
12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Dang. Darcel McBath is in the NFL right now. He plays for the Denver Broncos.

RattlerDude
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
This is kinda hard to rate. I've seen some great teams play but I'm sure the '07 Liberty Hill state champs is the best of those teams. I would put some big money on that team to beat any other team. They were a finely tuned super machine. Very good team. I don't think '09 Gilmer is as good or Navasota and everyone just got so much better.
'06 Liberty Eylau beat the number one ranked Gilmer team in the first round of the playoffs on their way to that state championship. They had a loss or two though. How many of these teams were undefeated?

big daddy russ
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Just an opinion based on what I've seen ('99 L-E, '01 and '02 Everman, '05 Wimberley, and '07 LH) and what I've heard.

1. '01 Everman... Sooooo much speed and plenty of beef to go with it. I still remember watching one of their DB's chasing down eventual NCAA 60M champion DaBryan Blanton from behind.
2. '02 Everman... Think of this group as '01 lite.
3. '09 Gilmer... This may not have been the most talented team Gilmer's ever fielded, but it may go down as the best. To review, they plowed through one of the toughest playoff roads in the state and won by an average of almost three TD's per playoff game. Three of their five opponents were ranked in the top five at some point throughout the season. Their first-round opponent was a top-15 team, and their second-round opponent was, at one point, a top-20 team. Oh, and in non-district they beat the top-ranked, reigning 2A champs 43-20. That team is playing this weekend for a second straight title. And they haven't lost to anyone outside of Gilmer in over two years. And BTW, I mean "least talented" in the same way I mean Jessica Biel is the "least hot" Jessica in the group of Simpson, Alba, and Biel. They still have three Big XII signees, another one still possible, and yet another big recruit waiting on next season.
4. '03 Gainesville... Never saw them play, but from what I've heard they were probably the only team on this list as fast as '01 Everman.
5. '05 Wimberley... Tough to put them this "low," but I just don't see them breaking the top four on this list.
6. '07 Liberty Hill... I think they could keep pace with any of these teams, but they just don't have the raw talent of Gilmer or the speed of Everman. But they did dominate the LOS just like Wimberley. However, the Texans had a better defense IMO.
7. '00 Gatesville... Taurean Henderson and a cloud of dust. I remember being surprised at how far Gatesville went. Then I looked at some of the scores and realized how far under the radar they were. One of the more underappreciated championship teams.
8. '04 Abilene Wylie... Their QB should've won a Heisman this year. 'Nuff said.
9. '99 Liberty-Eylau... I have no idea how that team got this "low," but I just can't think of anyone to switch them out with. Great, great team, though.
10. '08 Prosper... Admittedly, I don't know much about this team other than they were an offensive juggernaut. So they get the shaft in my rankings.

Tough list to make. I'm looking over it after the fact and wondering how a team like '04 Abilene Wylie is only the eighth-best team on my list, or why Wimberley isn't higher. Good thread, Bull.

Bullaholic
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just an opinion based on what I've seen ('99 L-E, '01 and '02 Everman, '05 Wimberley, and '07 LH) and what I've heard.

1. '01 Everman... Sooooo much speed and plenty of beef to go with it. I still remember watching one of their DB's chasing down eventual NCAA 60M champion DaBryan Blanton from behind.
2. '02 Everman... Think of this group as '01 lite.
3. '09 Gilmer... This may not have been the most talented team Gilmer's ever fielded, but it may go down as the best. To review, they plowed through one of the toughest playoff roads in the state and won by an average of almost three TD's per playoff game. Three of their five opponents were ranked in the top five at some point throughout the season. Their first-round opponent was a top-15 team, and their second-round opponent was, at one point, a top-20 team. Oh, and in non-district they beat the top-ranked, reigning 2A champs 43-20. That team is playing this weekend for a second straight title. And they haven't lost to anyone outside of Gilmer in over two years. And BTW, I mean "least talented" in the same way I mean Jessica Biel is the "least hot" Jessica in the group of Simpson, Alba, and Biel. They still have three Big XII signees, another one still possible, and yet another big recruit waiting on next season.
4. '03 Gainesville... Never saw them play, but from what I've heard they were probably the only team on this list as fast as '01 Everman.
5. '05 Wimberley... Tough to put them this "low," but I just don't see them breaking the top four on this list.
6. '07 Liberty Hill... I think they could keep pace with any of these teams, but they just don't have the raw talent of Gilmer or the speed of Everman. But they did dominate the LOS just like Wimberley. However, the Texans had a better defense IMO.
7. '00 Gatesville... Taurean Henderson and a cloud of dust. I remember being surprised at how far Gatesville went. Then I looked at some of the scores and realized how far under the radar they were. One of the more underappreciated championship teams.
8. '04 Abilene Wylie... Their QB should've won a Heisman this year. 'Nuff said.
9. '99 Liberty-Eylau... I have no idea how that team got this "low," but I just can't think of anyone to switch them out with. Great, great team, though.
10. '08 Prosper... Admittedly, I don't know much about this team other than they were an offensive juggernaut. So they get the shaft in my rankings.

:clap: Thanks , Russ, this is exactly the kind of excellent reply I was hoping to get---I just can't remember all of the team details as well as you have presented them. Don't be too concerned if Matthew328 wants to be your new best friend....:D

Pendragon13
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Which one of those teams had a QB that has put up Heisman worthy stats the last couple years in college ball? That's my top choice..:D

Old Tiger
12-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I saw the following teams:

'01 & '02 Everman
'05 Wimberely
'07 Liberty Hill
'09 Gilmer

I was impressed with them all, obviously, but the team that really sticks out was the '05 Texans. I really loved their defense.

THIS!

carter08
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
only team I saw was Wimberley. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Of course I would put Wimberley in the top 3 or 4 based on their superior defense at the time...but I gotta be honest, LH 07 was frickin' incredible.

WOS87
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I've gotta go with Wimberley '05... they still hold the record for most points scored against WO-S in a single game all-time in the 33 history of our program with 52. Amazing team!

Here are ALL of the 3A State Championship Seasons since 3A split into two playoff divisions in 1998

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/3a98-06.gif

injuredinmelee
12-15-2009, 07:16 AM
02 Everman
01 Everman
09 Gilmer

Matthew328
12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
IMO the 2001 Everman team was better than 2002. 2001 Everman would have potentially won a 4A title that year.

They beat Waxahachie 13-7, Waxahachie's only other losses that year were to 4A D2 champ Ennis 21-16 and 4A D1 champ Denton Ryan 27-24.

The 2001 Everman team also beat an unreal Forney team, an unreal Sinton team. Beat the dog snot out of a really good Gainesville team also. They were 2 deep at nearly every position.

2002 Everman put up gawdy numbers but didnt have the depth or beat near the caliber of competition, plus they lost a game that year

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
IMO the 2001 Everman team was better than 2002. 2001 Everman would have potentially won a 4A title that year.

They beat Waxahachie 13-7, Waxahachie's only other losses that year were to 4A D2 champ Ennis 21-16 and 4A D1 champ Denton Ryan 27-24.

The 2001 Everman team also beat an unreal Forney team, an unreal Sinton team. Beat the dog snot out of a really good Gainesville team also. They were 2 deep at nearly every position.

2002 Everman put up gawdy numbers but didnt have the depth or beat near the caliber of competition, plus they lost a game that year

ugh....our team was SICK, SICK that year. We should have a state championship. you suck. :tongue:

Emerson1
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

Speaking of which did anyone see McBath intercept Peyton Manning yesterday? He's going to be a star one day in the NFL
I remember McBath going up in double coverage against Forney and coming down with some great catches deep catches.

LE Dad
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Rank em where you want. LE in 06 with wins over a loaded Gilmer and Royse City teams was awesome. 99 not shabby either beating defending champ Aledo. I am not concerned where you rank those 2. I am just ready for the next one.:D

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2009, 03:22 PM
If LE would not have had the injuries they did in 06 during the regular season, I think alot of people would rank them higher.

OldBison75
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I won't even get into ranking these teams since I have not seen that many. What I will say is I saw the 2007 LH team fist hand and the 2009 Gilmer team first hand. They both played Navasota in the Region Finals and both won. I understand that Navasota was a much different team in those two years, but based on my observations of those two opponents--I'll take LH every time.

I have never watched a team that was so dominating in every phase of the game. They whipped our butts at the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, they whipped our buts in the special teams, they whipped our butts in the pregame warm-ups, and I would not be surprised to find out they beat us to the supper table. I thought the Gilmer team was one of the most athletic and smartest I have seen, but they were not dominating against Navasota. So, between those two it would be LH on top.

Plus, if any of the others that I have not seen were more dominating than the 2007 Panthers--GOD I'M GLAD THEY DID NOT PLAY US those years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LH Panther Mom
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
LH 07 was frickin' incredible. :inlove:

lbjacj
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
I've gotta go with Wimberley '05... they still hold the record for most points scored against WO-S in a single game all-time in the 33 history of our program with 52. Amazing team!

Here are ALL of the 3A State Championship Seasons since 3A split into two playoff divisions in 1998

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/3a98-06.gif

That was my favorite game of all time!After this one I knew we really had something special!!!

:iagree: :2thumbsup :ditto: :clap:

lbjacj
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Rank em where you want. LE in 06 with wins over a loaded Gilmer and Royse City teams was awesome. 99 not shabby either beating defending champ Aledo. I am not concerned where you rank those 2. I am just ready for the next one.:D

2006 pre-season
Wimberley 35
LE-7 (2006 Div.1 champ)

Wimberley 48
Liberty Hill 44 (2006 Div.2 champ)