PDA

View Full Version : AP All State Teams

TRENCHES06
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Named this week. I think 3A is on Wed.

Keith7
12-13-2009, 07:26 PM
are they doing it 1a,2a,3a,4a,5a or vise-verca?

TRENCHES06
12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't know for sure, but I THINK 5A is Friday. We'll know for sure tommorrow!

TRENCHES06
12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
1A AP All State was released tonight

michaelp23
12-13-2009, 11:49 PM
If Stump isn't 1st Team All-State QB, they might as well throw the whole list in the trash.

Bulligator
12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
These days the all state teams are based on politics, PR, and the who knows who network. Plus, every organization seems to have their own all state team. The bottom line is that most of us will agree on some names, and then wonder how the heck he made it when someone else should have. Maybe the 3A Downlow should start their own all state team list, and we can vote for our own favorite homer players.

TRENCHES06
12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I could see McCoy beating out Stump

NastySlot
12-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
I could see McCoy beating out Stump

that could happen.

NastySlot
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
If Stump isn't 1st Team All-State QB, they might as well throw the whole list in the trash.

would you still throw it out if he doesnt' get named first team qb...but is name player of the year?

fanofthegame
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
here are the class 1A and class 2A all state teams.....
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/gen/ap/FBH_2A_All_State_List.html

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/gen/ap/FBH_1A_All_State_List.html

TRENCHES06
12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Don't forget, there are TWO All State lists. The AP and the TSWA. The TSWA is released in January I believe and includes post season consideration

BEAST
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Gotta love that 1A list. Goldthwaite, runs the table, wins it all, pitches shutout after shutout, and nobody gets on the first team. Laughable.

BEAST

NastySlot
12-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Gotta love that 1A list. Goldthwaite, runs the table, wins it all, pitches shutout after shutout, and nobody gets on the first team. Laughable.

BEAST

one and possibly this all state team is selected before the postseason.

texas sports writers tends to have teams dominated by regions..depending on which writer is responsible for a class....this really true in other sports...ie baseball and softball.....but at least it takes into consideration postseason play and stats.

sinfan75
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
If Stump isn't 1st Team All-State QB, they might as well throw the whole list in the trash. Quite a few QB's to choose from this year. Cuero, Graham , La Grange, Sinton all have QB's worthy of All-State status.

TRENCHES06
12-14-2009, 10:14 PM
My guess for the AP:
1st team: Brian Bell-China Spring
2nd- Stump Godfrey-Gilmer
Honorable Mention: Sinton QB, Ardnt-Cuero, LaGrangeQB, Case McCoy, a couple others

It's Regular season stats only.

Lombardi
12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
when will 3a be released

bigwood33
12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/gen/ap/FBH_3A_All_State_List.html

Here it is.

Deuce
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/gen/ap/FBH_3A_All_State_List.html

Here it is.

Glad to see some of Grahams players on it! I also like seeing that many Pitt players on 1st team offense knowing how well Grahams D kept them in check!

MamaBull
12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
KYLE PARKER!!!

Rocket
12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Deuce
Glad to see some of Grahams players on it! I also like seeing that many Pitt players on 1st team offense knowing how well Grahams D kept them in check!

AP=Clueless.

TRENCHES06
12-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow. No Sinton QB or La Grange QB??

Deuce
12-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
AP=Clueless.

Don't get so bent out of shape ROCKEE. At least Longoria made the list.

Deuce
12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't get so bent out of shape ROCKEE. At least Longoria made the list.

Not sure how Shipley did not make it!

MamaBull
12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
no joke.

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
First - Congrats to BEAU CULVER from Sinton for making the honorable mention team. :clap:

Second - Congrats to CASS Mitchell from Sealy. :inlove: WTG KID!

Third - How on earth did Josh Harrison not make this list? :rolleyes:

Ex-Tiger2005
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
AP=Clueless.

Agreed! Some of this is crap...

ccmom
12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Congrats to Austin Gray, Matt Preston and Robert Miller! :clap:

No Shipley?:confused: Not even honorable mention? :doh:
That's a little difficult to understand.

BEAST
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Congrats to Austin Gray and Matt Preston! :clap:

No Shipley?:confused: Not even honorable mention? :doh:
That's a little difficult to understand.

I know. The first team receiver from Gilmer had 671 yards. Thats in 15 games. Shipley had almost 300 against Graham alone. Unbelievable.

BEAST

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow. No Sinton QB or La Grange QB?? No kidding. I just realized your QB didn't make it either. Stupid sports writers! :mad:

I'm sure the coaches list (that includes post season) will surely recognize these 2 fine QBs!

Deuce
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I know. The first team receiver from Gilmer had 671 yards. Thats in 15 games. Shipley had almost 300 against Graham alone. Unbelievable.

BEAST

I think Shipley should actually be called BEAST!

Z-RO
12-15-2009, 12:43 PM
This list *in my opinion* is a joke.

cr180t
12-15-2009, 12:56 PM
U should all Make a All 3a downlow Team.

Deuce
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by cr180t

There would probably be different kids in different places, but all in all it would not be perfect just like this list. There is no way that you can find common ground with a list like this!

XtremeCouture
12-15-2009, 01:02 PM
trent jackson 2nd team is a joke

87 TIGER
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Congrats to Logan David and LeRaven Clark

Keith7
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by cr180t

Ooooo and we can name our own champion!!

Gobbler Fan
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
trent jackson 2nd team is a joke

Best RB in 3a no doubt in my mind . He still has a couple of years to set these guys straight .

Way to go Gobblers....Tyler Arndt H.M. QB-Trent Jackson 2nd team RB- Tanner Hoffman H.M. Linebacker .:thumbsup:

STAggie
12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
How did the running back from Sweeny get Honorable Mention and the kid from Royal didn't? Not only did he outgain him in the regular season, but led his team 3 rounds deep and still gets no love.

BullsFan
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Congrats to Kyle Parker and Daniel Scott!!

TRENCHES06
12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
How in the HECK does the Brookshire Royal RB not get at least Honorable mention?? wow

kaorder1999
12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
like i say EVERY year...the AP ALl-State voters DO NOT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION ANY POSTSEASON STATS! Regular season only

44INAROW
12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
How in the HECK does the Brookshire Royal RB not get at least Honorable mention?? wow

it's political - always has been, always will be..

Congrats to those selected...

kaorder1999
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
AND...if your hometown newspsper doesnt nominate and really push for the kid they will NOT make it on the AP team

BEAST
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I think Shipley should actually be called BEAST!

If he wants the name, Ill give it to him.

BEAST

pirate4state
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
AND...if your hometown newspsper doesnt nominate and really push for the kid they will NOT make it on the AP team Therein lies the real problem. Our "hometown" paper is the Caller Times....NUFF SAID!

Old Dog
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the AP team is generally based on the regular season only, not the playoffs.

The Shipley omission may be because he missed several games due to injury.

The coaches team named in the early spring includes playoffs.

crabman
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
It has to be political. Remember the conversations and comparisons of Kam Jones to Stump Godfrey? Stump might be 1A but for pure athleticism and quarterback skills Kam should be 1B. If there was an "athlete" category he would be in there.

Not a pure passer but a phenomenal talent.

bkbhardball
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Just want to say to the two players from Kennedale First team LB Carlton Bryant and HB lineman Anthony Booher great season you guys played with heart and should be proud of this,good luck in the future to both of those young men.

lbjacj
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
1st Team Defense
Def.Backs

ERIC NELSON, Fischer Canyon Lake, Sr. -- 9 INTs, 73 tackles, 2 fumbles caused, 2 fumbles recovered

Congrats to Eric! A star with our newest district rival!:clap:

LH Panther Mom
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
How many games did he get to play in during the regular season...5?

SWAS009
12-15-2009, 10:02 PM

7 players for graham.:clap: :clap:

(McCoy, Allen, Kinney, Hiser, Fulford,Sides, and Bailey)

Pawdaddy
12-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Gilmer puts 4 on the first team and 4 more mentioned down the list. All 4 first teamers on the offense. I feel the receiver could have been in the "athlete" category, if they had it, and would have been a better fit because of his return expertise. Stump, Blair, and Jenkins are absolute dead-on choices.

oldtownag
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Undefeated Carthage with a 28 game winning streak and defending state champs did not get a single player on 1st team. I guess we just play good team ball.

P.S. The Carthage newspaper is not an AP affiliate but you can guess which towns papers are.

SintonFan
12-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
like i say EVERY year...the AP ALL-State voters DO NOT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION ANY POSTSEASON STATS! Regular season only

Does that help?:D

sinton66
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
AP = Applied Pinheads:D

Charlie47
12-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Michael Means Stats:
Passing: 2016 yds, 51.84% completions, 15tds, 7ints
Rushing: 1483 yds, 30Tds

This young man didn't deserve Honorable Mention?:confused: :(

ImaNut
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
First, a huge congrats to those players recognized for all their hard work!

I think it's a great show of support to point out a player that you think should have made the team. Keep 'em coming, any of those kids that weren't named but see that someone felt like they should have will be very grateful for your opinion!

However, I think it belittles the accomplishments of the players that were named to the team to say that this is a joke, or that so-and-so should have made it instead of so-and-so. They worked hard and earned a great honor, one that I am sure that all the kids that have been "left off" would have loved to have. They deserve respect, whether you personally agree with the selection or not.

And, here's hoping that the next list will include any deserving kids that may have been overlooked this time around, but again, a big congrats to those achieving this great honor!

pirate4state
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ImaNut
First, a huge congrats to those players recognized for all their hard work!

I think it's a great show of support to point out a player that you think should have made the team. Keep 'em coming, any of those kids that weren't named but see that someone felt like they should have will be very grateful for your opinion!

However, I think it belittles the accomplishments of the players that were named to the team to say that this is a joke, or that so-and-so should have made it instead of so-and-so. They worked hard and earned a great honor, one that I am sure that all the kids that have been "left off" would have loved to have. They deserve respect, whether you personally agree with the selection or not.

And, here's hoping that the next list will include any deserving kids that may have been overlooked this time around, but again, a big congrats to those achieving this great honor!

No one is disrespecing the kids that were selected. I haven't seen anyone say XYZ player SHOULDN'T have made it. Just questioning why XYZ player DIDN'T make it.

Maybe if the "sports writers" would do their job and go watch some games and make an effort to get stats from coaches and not expect everything to be handed to them, we wouldn't be questioning them.

tlc84
12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I have never really understood the selection process but I would like one thing explained. How does a kid who makes second team in his District make Honorable Mention All-State over a kid who made first team? This is the part of the selection process I can not figure out!!!!

Congats to all the kids who did make the list

pirate4state
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by tlc84
I have never really understood the selection process but I would like one thing explained. How does a kid who makes second team in his District make Honorable Mention All-State over a kid who made first team? This is the part of the selection process I can not figure out!!!!

Congats to all the kids who did make the list

Because all district teams are voted on by the district coaches only.

This list is voted on by the AP sports writers. So, if you don't get coverage by an AP paper, your kids are pretty much screwed.

I don't think coaches nominate their kids, right? <---- This is part I'm not real sure about.

tlc84
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
In this case I think coaches would have to have something to do with it because I would think the AP paper in this area would cover both schools. I do not know it just does not make sense to me

clhsdad
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lbjacj
1st Team Defense
Def.Backs

ERIC NELSON, Fischer Canyon Lake, Sr. -- 9 INTs, 73 tackles, 2 fumbles caused, 2 fumbles recovered

Congrats to Eric! A star with our newest district rival!:clap:

Thanks, and yes congratulations to ERIC NELSON!! He was also a pretty good receiver as well. GREAT YEAR!

BuckeyeNut
12-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Yall need to go get some towels and get up all that HATERAID that yall have spilled all over this post.

Grats to STUMP First Team All State and player of the year.
I dont think he even won POTW on here.

That list was heavy with Buckeyes so i can see why everyone is crying. :bigcry: :bigcry:

icu812
12-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Van's Jacoby Alexander = defensive player of the year

20 sacks, 32 tackles for loss, 29 Qb pressures - it was a pleasure to watch this guy play ball.

TOPS1435
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I am surprised to see two Buckeye linemen get the recognition I think they deserve. There is only one AP representative in East Texas among those who vote. Most are in the major cities, so that is why there is so much question with 1A and 2A. They almost never see those kids play, and rarely see 3 A.

As far as Tristen Holt's numbers, he may not have had as high a numbers as some teams, but no Buckeye was a dominate receiver like some teams have. At Gilmer, 11 different receivers scored touchdowns, so no one had a chance to reach 1,000 yards, but Tristen's TD/catch ratio and yard/catch must be way up there. He also was enough of a game breaker that I expect defenses tried to key on him (without success until Navasota where he turned an ankle.)

I hope Missouri will try him out as a kick/punt returner.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
12-16-2009, 12:18 PM
congrats miller, jamison, and mitchell:clap:

rojosgirl
12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats to the GOBBLERS on a fine season. Also to Tyler, Trent and Tanner for their all-state selections. GO-MEAN-GREEN!

:D

pirate4state
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Yall need to go get some towels and get up all that HATERAID that yall have spilled all over this post.

That list was heavy with Buckeyes so i can see why everyone is crying. :bigcry: :bigcry:

Oh please get over yourself.

Gobbler Fan
12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
:ditto:

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
:clap: :clap: Congrats to all these young men!

ImaNut
12-16-2009, 10:14 PM
"No one is disrespecing the kids that were selected. I haven't seen anyone say XYZ player SHOULDN'T have made it. Just questioning why XYZ player DIDN'T make it.

Maybe if the "sports writers" would do their job and go watch some games and make an effort to get stats from coaches and not expect everything to be handed to them, we wouldn't be questioning them."

Ok, couldn't get this to quote right, so finally resorted to cutting and pasting....

But, I went back and reread the whole thread just to make certain I was reading clearly, and this poll and the voters have thus far been called crap, stupid, clueless, political, pinheads, and a joke.

As for saying someone shouldn't have made it, a player from Gilmer and a player from Sweeney were both specifically called out and questioned as to why a player didn't make it when they did.

If this is not disrespectful, I would hate to see your idea of "poor" sportsmanship. Now, suggesting that a player was good enough to make it or should have, is fine and is a great compliment to the players. There is a fine line, and it does the kids a great disservice to suggest that they were not worthy of what they have earned, whether implied or stated directly.

Now, to elaborate on what I said originally...No other state, IMO, has the quality of football programs that Texas has. There are so, so many quality players in this state, there is no way to name them all in one poll. And this is just that, a poll, voted on by people who can not possibly have seen every kid in the state play.

It is what it is, and that ultimately is an honor for the kids who are named.

MUSTANG69
12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Therein lies the real problem. Our "hometown" paper is the Caller Times....NUFF SAID!

You certainly have that right. C-C Caller-Times sucks.

Pendragon13
12-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Charlie47
Michael Means Stats:
Passing: 2016 yds, 51.84% completions, 15tds, 7ints
Rushing: 1483 yds, 30Tds

This young man didn't deserve Honorable Mention?:confused: :( Abilene Wylie made it to the finals without a single first team all-stater....don't feel too bad.;)

lostaussie
12-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Pendragon..............nice sig:thumbsup:

Bullaholic
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Congrats to every one of these players. There are probably some players out there who may be just as deserving--- but these were the ones who were picked this season by the voting system in place. Let's give proper credit to all those selected, and have special empathy for the parents, friends, and families of those whose sons were not.

Charlie47
12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Abilene Wylie made it to the finals without a single first team all-stater....don't feel too bad.;)

Your right, that's sad, however, we didn't even have an Honorable Mention!

1st and goal
12-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag

Homerism at its best. You guys were very lucky to have beaten Cuero. Skin of your teeth. Coat of wax. Squeaker. Slim, very slim.:hand:

This poll wreeeeeeks. Not much love for Reg IV. The Austin Unamerican Snakesman did a story about Giddings during the season and the writer had so many facts wrong. It was pathetic. I guess they have plenty of 5A teams to chase.:rolleyes: :mad:

Pendragon13
12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Charlie47
Your right, that's sad, however, we didn't even have an Honorable Mention! You have to remember that many 3A schools have been playing football for 80+ years and are household names. Something tells me the LL will be on the radar next year and for years to come.;) (in whatever classification)