PDA

View Full Version : Stadium price gouging

squid
12-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I simply dont understand the pricing of concessions at alot of stadiums today. I mean, you had to know that Jerry would charge what he does at the Death Star. But $5 20oz. cokes at SMU's place? And for $3 for a 6oz cup of cup of coffee or hot chocolate? And with the hot chocolate, they give you a bag of Swiss Miss, a styrofoam cup and then direct you to where the hot water is?

I guess they know that they have a captive audience, so they charge you $5 for what you can pay .89 at 7/11.....or $3 for what you can even pay $2 for at Starbucks.

SWMustang
12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by squid
I simply dont understand the pricing of concessions at alot of stadiums today. I mean, you had to know that Jerry would charge what he does at the Death Star. But $5 20oz. cokes at SMU's place? And for $3 for a 6oz cup of cup of coffee or hot chocolate? And with the hot chocolate, they give you a bag of Swiss Miss, a styrofoam cup and then direct you to where the hot water is?

I guess they know that they have a captive audience, so they charge you $5 for what you can pay .89 at 7/11.....or $3 for what you can even pay $2 for at Starbucks.

you should see prices at Reliant.

lostaussie
12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
haha............my nephew went to concession and came back with 2 mini pizzas and a coke...............$25. I immediately told my wife and son we would be eating after the game:D

squid
12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
you should see prices at Reliant.

did the '05 Big 12 Championship. My kids are still crying because they didnt get a coke there.......I saw a $8 sausage on a stick that I swear was really a roasted Vienna sausage on a toothpick.

1st and goal
12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
The prices were bad in Austin at Reagan high school field....
We could've wined and dined at Twin Peaks for what they were charging.:mad:

note to self: sneak in your own stuff at playoff games.:cool:

bobcat4life
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
haha............my nephew went to concession and came back with 2 mini pizzas and a coke...............$25. I immediately told my wife and son we would be eating after the game:D
The pizza was $8! It was rediculous!
btw did anyone have trouble with the parking?

squid
12-13-2009, 10:24 AM
note to self: sneak in your own stuff at playoff games.

did yall checkout the 'security guys' they had checking bags and purses at the gate last night? What a joke, but they may have been tired from guarding the lumber yard all day. One even made me open my toboggan to make sure I was carrying in something. I say 'Sorry dude, I hid the half pint of hootch in my boot' He says 'Naw homes, we aint worried 'bout booze, just candy and Chex-Mix' and sure enough, there was a table full of the stuff in front of them.......I sure hope they donated it to some homeless squirrel shelter and not a dumpster.......

ccmom
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM

I guess they know that they have a captive audience, so they charge you $5 for what you can pay .89 at 7/11.....or $3 for what you can even pay $2 for at Starbucks. I guess they charge it because they know people will pay it. The concessions on the home side ran out of almost everything by the 3rd qtr.

injuredinmelee
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
The other thing that pisses me off aout the concessions is they never have enough open and everyone has to wait in ridiculously long lines. I guess they assume its a 3A game so there wont be many people there.

Sweetwater Red
12-13-2009, 10:35 AM

I bought two of those hot chocolates. The lady says the hot water
is over there. I'm thinking huh?

I open the lid and see the packets inside the cups and I tell her for
3 bucks you'd think it would already be mixed for me.:rolleyes:

Aesculus gilmus
12-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Someone asked about parking. I was pleasantly surprised to find my car still there after the game. I parked at least a quarter-mile or more north of the stadium next to an open field.

No one was asking for $5 so I just parked there along with a whole bunch of other Gilmer fans. I was SHOCKED that the SMUstangs didn't shake me down for that or tow me. Maybe they slipped up or maybe they just didn't have enough personnel left over from all the people checking bags for contraband at the gates.

ivchris
12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Heck, for $3 hot chocolate, you'd think it would come with someone to hold it for you. Some people I was sitting near said they had stopped at Burger King on the way in and when they got to the gate, it was confiscated by the gatekeepers. No food allowed. What a crock. How did we end up at SMU? I hated that stadium.

bobcat4life
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Someone asked about parking. I was pleasantly surprised to find my car still there after the game. I parked at least a quarter-mile or more north of the stadium next to an open field.

No one was asking for $5 so I just parked there along with a whole bunch of other Gilmer fans. I was SHOCKED that the SMUstangs didn't shake me down for that or tow me. Maybe they slipped up or maybe they just didn't have enough personnel left over from all the people checking bags for contraband at the gates.
I parked right next to Moody Colliseum by the statue of the horses. There was a ssign saying your car could be towed, but when a security officer walked by he said it was ok and that he didnt even know who put the sign there. He then ripped the sign out of the ground and walked off.

turbostud
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
don't complain, it stimulates the economy.:rolleyes:

wyliegrad04
12-13-2009, 11:26 AM
we parked in the parking garage, $5 and it was VERY easy in and out. i think most people probably avoided it because they saw the $20 sign, but that was I guess for SMU games or something, it was only $5.

and yes, all concession stands will always be expensive because people are gonna buy it if it's $1 or $3 for hot chocolate.

Emerson1
12-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I need to give you people lessons on how to sneak stuff in.

Just put it in your waist band and tighten your belt up. They are gonna pat down your butt and crotch. I got 3 water bottles and food into cowboys stadium and they did pat downs.

Sweetwater Red
12-13-2009, 11:37 AM
One thing I will say about the stadium is the NO RE-ENTRY depends
on which gate you go to.

At the first gate I tried I started to ask and the woman just kept
repeating NO-ENTRY before I could even finish my sentence. I
went down to the other gate and I saw several fans smoking
just outside of the stadium and I ask about it. She says sure
just stay right outside of the gate.

Inmateboss
12-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

We make hot choc in a turkey fryer(new) 5 gal at a time, 16 oz cup $1.50. When Albany had a playoff game in Graham, we went through 50 + gals. make 5 gal pour it in a 5gal water can, stays hot a long time! If you can make money at your regular price during reg season, you can make money during playoffs at the same price, thats some more of that making people feel welcome at your place!!!:thinking:

Emerson1
12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Hot chocolate with water? Disgusting.

Trashman
12-13-2009, 12:05 PM
The reason for the high priced concessions is that the stadium operators think they are actually at DFW Airport. :D

michaelp23
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
That was the WORST stadium I've been to. The traffic was horrendous, we had to park a half mile away, they took away my two year old's Teddy Grahams and fruit snacks at the gate, the announcer wouldn't shut up about "don't come on the field after the game or you'll be shot....", and they didn't even have the video replay screen on. It was horrible.

I was looking forward to playing there, but I was very dissapointed. I hope we never go back to SMU.

bobcat4life
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
That was the WORST stadium I've been to. The traffic was horrendous, we had to park a half mile away, they took away my two year old's Teddy Grahams and fruit snacks at the gate, the announcer wouldn't shut up about "don't come on the field after the game or you'll be shot....", and they didn't even have the video replay screen on. It was horrible.

I was looking forward to playing there, but I was very dissapointed. I hope we never go back to SMU.
that was nothing compared to the SLC-Miami NW game. I was disappointed with the screen off, however because it has been on the 2 other times I have been there for a game

Emerson1
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
that was nothing compared to the SLC-Miami NW game. I was disappointed with the screen off, however because it has been on the 2 other times I have been there for a game

Sounds like it might have been a school choice to me.

Probably cost extra. I know some HS stadiums charge extra if you want to use the video screen. Extra electricity + staff to run it. Also the SLC-NW game was on TV, they might not even give the option unless they can tape into an ESPN or FSN feed.

michaelp23
12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Sounds like it might have been a school choice to me.

Probably cost extra. I know some HS stadiums charge extra if you want to use the video screen. Extra electricity + staff to run it. Also the SLC-NW game was on TV, they might not even give the option unless they can tape into an ESPN or FSN feed.

The game was televised. FSN did it as far as I know.

TheDOCTORdre
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
Heck, for $3 hot chocolate, you'd think it would come with someone to hold it for you.

and a customizable take home mug

squid
12-13-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, so thats Saginaw and now SMU as places where we never want to play again. Birdville is still my favorite DFW stadium to go to.....

bobcat4life
12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
OK, so thats Saginaw and now SMU as places where we never want to play again. Birdville is still my favorite DFW stadium to go to.....
those are both nice, but my favorite is probably mesquite memorial

DaHop72
12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
:thinking: :thinking: Parked in a parking garage maybe 20 yards from the front gate for $5, pulled out after the game, waited for a bit on 2 lights and then hit 75 and took the crew to the train station in Ft. Worth. When your team is playing for a State Championship, the logistics shouldn't be that big of a deal.:p :p

squid
12-14-2009, 07:05 AM
mesquite memorial

Thankfully, we dont usually have to travel that far. SMU is as far east that I can remember Wylie having to travel. I notice alot of games being held at Pennington Field in Ft Worth, how is that stadium?

Looking4number8
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:thinking: :thinking: Parked in a parking garage maybe 20 yards from the front gate for $5, pulled out after the game, waited for a bit on 2 lights and then hit 75 and took the crew to the train station in Ft. Worth. When your team is playing for a State Championship, the logistics shouldn't be that big of a deal.:p :p
I agree with you DaHop... If we were playing for the SC again, shoot, I would walk from here to Snyder for the game!!!!!(of course once I get to Abilene, Snyder would suck me right in) sorry, just could not pass up the last part

lighthouse_lady
12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
You know what cracks me up? It was $5 for a coke at SMU. We went to the Cowboys game yesterday and it was $6 for a coke there, AND you got a souvenier cup! :p

Cameron Crazy
12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
The pricing is terrible there just about anywhere come playoff time, but most people who will travel to see the games will end up paying the prices no matter what.

DU_stud04
12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Thankfully, we dont usually have to travel that far. SMU is as far east that I can remember Wylie having to travel. I notice alot of games being held at Pennington Field in Ft Worth, how is that stadium? its okay, same size as birdville isd.... the home side completely dwarfs the visitors side though and would be a terrible place for two teams that travel well. i love it because after a game its a short walk to dukes for a few cheap drinks and its only 3 exits from my place.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Does coke, hot dog, hot chocolate, etc sales stay at the home school during regular season, or does the UIL get their greedy paws on it too? Any booster know?