PDA

View Full Version : Year of the Stump

DU_stud04
12-12-2009, 11:36 PM
:)

Congrats, 2009 D1 AAA State Champions: Gilmer Buckeyes!

NateDawg39
12-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
:)

Congrats, 2009 D1 AAA State Champions: Gilmer Buckeyes! 3A was down this year, Gilmer just got lucky...

44INAROW
12-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
3A was down this year, Gilmer just got lucky...

wow - that's classy :hand: NOT :doh:

so, if AW would have won, would you say they were lucky cause 3A as down this year? :confused:

Daddy D 11
12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

so, if AW would have won, would you say they were lucky cause 3A as down this year? :confused:

I think he was kidding LOL

NateDawg39
12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

so, if AW would have won, would you say they were lucky cause 3A as down this year? :confused: No I love Abilene Wylie I think they are the best team ever in the history of 3A football and will always be the best 3A football team (because they will never leave 3A) and I loooove purple and Gold and Coach Sandifer or whatever his name is is the best coach ever...Wylie Wylie Wylie...:rolleyes:

poisoned10
12-13-2009, 12:25 AM
No I love Abilene Wylie I think they are the best team ever in the history of 3A football and will always be the best 3A football team (because they will never leave 3A) and I loooove purple and Gold and Coach Sandifer or whatever his name is is the best coach ever...Wylie Wylie Wylie...:rolleyes:

HATER!

mrgreenblood
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Congrats to The Buckeyes of Gilmer, Tx!

2009 Class 3A Division I State Champs!!!!

Good job men!!!!

smoothnut
12-13-2009, 01:57 AM
The State Championship was decided last weekend at the Semis. Cuero would have done just exactly what the Buckeyes did to AW. Great win Buckeyes.

dirtydan
12-13-2009, 02:17 AM
3A was down this year, Gilmer just got lucky...

Stump for Pres.

Sweetwater Red
12-13-2009, 04:19 AM
#10 made a true believer out of me. Please tell me he is a senior.

N4SIR
12-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Yep, he and 27 others are seniors.

gobbler grad
12-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by smoothnut
The State Championship was decided last weekend at the Semis. Cuero would have done just exactly what the Buckeyes did to AW. Great win Buckeyes.

this is a correct statement...:) we think alike:eek: :D

squid
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM
betcha thought the same thing in '04 only to have Keenum bust your bubble.....

bobcat4life
12-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I sat on the Gilmer side and all the people I talked to said the same thing. They said Cuero was the best team they played all year

Buckeye80
12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I sat on the Gilmer side and all the people I talked to said the same thing. They said Cuero was the best team they played all year

I gotta believe that Wylie was just off last night. They also looked completely unprepared for the Buckeyes' defensive speed. The Wylie announcers just kept going on and on about Gilmer's defensive pursuit and speed. I guess we must not look as fast on film.

Offensively, we just did what we always do. Excellent execution by the Buckeyes on offense resulted in a big hole for Wylie to try and crawl out of.

The Cuero game was certainly a better game, but I don't think we saw Wylie's "A game" last night either.

navscanmaster
12-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life

I thought we gave them a pretty good game too.

Green Bling
12-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks, SN!! I was thinking the same throughout the game last night. Gilmer/Cuero game was the best I remember seeing in recent years. Hope for a rematch next year!!

grahampaw
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Went to cheer on AW last night.Add me to the list that thanks #10 was amazing as was the rest of the Buckeyes.Congrats to you and the whole town of Gilmer

ccmom
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I thought we gave them a pretty good game too. I agree.

Pawdaddy
12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I thought we gave them a pretty good game too.

Yes, you did navscan. In fact, I believe our side of the bracket was considerably stronger than AW's side which could only benefit the team that survived to the Championship game. Navasota's QB has a similar history to Gilmer's QB and showed he was the real deal, but Cuero did have the opportunity to win the game in the last minute and fell short.

It was a lot of fun this year watching the Buckeyes live up to the preseason predictions, week in and week out. The few close games served them well against AW. The BlackFlag Defense pretty much left AW with few viable options. They just shut them down. Great game Castro! He would get the defensive game ball if I had a vote. He was making plays from sideline to sideline, as a lineman! When you look at what is coming back, I think Gilmer will a dangerous team next year. Not as strong as this year, maybe, but will definitely be in the discussion.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Congratulations Stump and the rest of the Gilmer team for winning it all. You boys will still talk about this when you're 60. That's pretty darn cool.

Best of luck to the seniors in their future endeavors.

DaHop72
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
They also looked completely unprepared for the Buckeyes' defensive speed. Your weren't there to see if that's true or not you turkey.:D You could have brought your daughter to the game and gave her the opportunity to see the Buckeyes win a state titlle for a birthday present. No show.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

lostaussie
12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
from smoaky.com

Gilmer senior Darian Godfrey couldn't have ended his career any better. Godfrey finished his career with the Class 3-A, Division I State Championship after a 43-26 victory against Abilene Wylie. Godfrey finished his career with a 41-3 record as a starter.

Godfrey completed 20-28 passes for 248-yards and 2-TD's, and ran for 145-yards and 2-TD's.

Godfrey ended his career with 116-TD's, and finished FIFTH ALL-TIME in Texas High School football history:

Godfrey ended his career with 9,345-yards and is FOURTH ALL-TIME in career passing yards in Class 3-A history.

(Class 3-A All-Time Passing Yards)

1. (11,762) G.J. Kinne, 2003-2005 Canton, 2006 Gilmer
2. (10,136) Phillip Daugherty, 2000-2002 Bridgeport
3. (10,046) Chandler Dane, 2002-2004 Decatur
4. (9,345) Darian Godfrey, 2007-2009, Gilmer
5. (8,437) Shawn Bell, 1998-2001 China Spring
6. (8,252) Stephen McGee, 2001-2003 Burnet

NastySlot
12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
In fact, I believe our side of the bracket was considerably stronger than AW's side

this can't be right...there's a post ...that claims region I to be the best..?

Buckeye1980
12-13-2009, 07:26 PM
If Stump does not win Offensive Player of the Year in 3A , than there is a problem in the process of making the choice!

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
If Stump does not win Offensive Player of the Year in 3A , than there is a problem in the process of making the choice!
For what medium - DCTF, AP, TSWA or other? I'm not saying he shouldn't BUT.....

TOPS1435
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I too agree that Stump qualifies for the MVP. For a sight that Cuero posters may not want to revisit, go to the following link:

http://www.gilmermirror.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Buckeyes+win+42-36+semifinal+thriller+over+Cuero%20&id=5082126-Buckeyes+win+42-36+semifinal+thriller+over+Cuero&instance=news_special_coverage_right_column

If it does not link correctly, go to gilmermirror.com and from the home page click on sports. The most recent article has pre-game interviews but in a column on the right, you find a link to the several reports before that story. You want to look at the story by Joe Dodd concerning the Gilmer-Cuero game.

Acompaning the story is a slide show of six pictures, the first showing Stump early on his 68 yard run for the game winning touchdown against the Gobblers.

Before the season, some question the ability of our offensive line to get the job done. We all know the grunts get little attention, but they were key to our success.

Liberty Hill can testify that in '07 the O-line did a good job pass blocking, but they could not open holes against the Panthers for the running backs. (Who also wear purple--What is it with purple and state championship games for us? Another story.)

IMHO, the state champsionship was won in the 100 degree heat last June and July. When the football fields across the county were growing weeds, about 7 pm on several occassions I saw as many as 20 players on the hot artifical turf playing flag football. There were no coaches, and I went closer to check it out. Sure enough, it was varsity Buckeyes playing one another, keeping in condition.

When 2-a-days started in August, the majority of the Buckeye varisty was already in playing shape, having worked through the summer. Traylor told me later he could start on plays right away because he did not have to spend a week getting guys in condition.

When Stump started that run against Cuero, I saw a look in his eye like I saw in Manuel Johnson before he threw the winning pass against Jasper. He absolutely was not going to lose that game. The Gobblers were doing a good job covering the receivers, but LOOK AT THE HOLE THE LINE GAVE STUMP. This old lady could have run through it.

Tristan is crossing in front of the picture in order to lay a decisive block on #2.

Thanks for the lessons the Gobblers gave us on covering fumbles.

Last night when a receiver had a fumble, it was an offensive lineman running downfield with him who scooped it up for a touchdown. When Stump ran into his blocker and fumbled as he did against Cuero, it was a lineman who covered the pigskin.

Stump was the leader of this team, and he grew tremendously from last year. But he had the help of a lot of his friends who worked just as hard as he to win the ring.

hookandladder
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM

I posted on the Gilmer-Wylie thread last week that the 2 best teams had already played (Gilmer-Cuero) and the Wylie fans said I was stupid. Also picked Gilmer by 2 or 3 TD's, I was pretty close.

ccmom
12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I posted on the Gilmer-Wylie thread last week that the 2 best teams had already played (Gilmer-Cuero) and the Wylie fans said I was stupid. Also picked Gilmer by 2 or 3 TD's, I was pretty close. . Nevermind....editing my post, but for the record, I'm a believer! It was definitely the year of the STUMP!!

Buckeye1980
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
For what medium - DCTF, AP, TSWA or other? I'm not saying he shouldn't BUT.....

ALL OF THE ABOVE!