PDA

View Full Version : What about TCU in a new conference?

shamu85
12-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Good idea? Discuss. Big Ten Wants to Expand (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336)

bobcat4life
12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
I dont think the Big Ten will expand anytime soon, but even if they did, I think it would be a team other than TCU. I dont think TCU will be a part of a "major" conference unless the Big 12 decides to expand or if the MWC becomes a "major" conference as well.

Keith7
12-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
I dont think the Big Ten will expand anytime soon, but even if they did, I think it would be a team other than TCU. I dont think TCU will be a part of a "major" conference unless the Big 12 decides to expand or if the MWC becomes a "major" conference as well.

The Big 10 could be interested in Iowa State, which would open up a place for the "big" 12.

the real question is: Would TCU want to be in a conference that is on a downward spiral like the "big" 12?

GreenMonster
12-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
The Big 10 could be interested in Iowa State, which would open up a place for the "big" 12.

the real question is: Would TCU want to be in a conference that is on a downward spiral like the "big" 12?

Wish I knew what downward spiral you are talking about. OU had a rough season but will rebound, Okie Light was competetive as usuall, Nebraska is showing signs of life again, K-State is revitalized under Bill Snyder, Baylor is on an upswing, Tech is always dangerous, A&M regained a heartbeat, Missou is coming down from an all-time high, and last but not least Texas is playing for the National championship. Kansas, Iowa State, and Colorado were pretty bad this year but Kansas might bounce back under new leadership and believe it or not Iowa State is bowl eligible, and Colorado; well they are in trouble. Not much spiraling from my point of view. I guess it's all in who's kool-aid you're drinking.

westcoast54
12-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I think TCU is in a good conference already. They are just as good as the Big East. The Mountain West put four or five teams in bowls. There has been talk of bringing Boise in as well.

ziggy29
12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
The Mountain West would be quite interesting -- and arguably better than the Big East and ACC in football -- if they expanded to 12 teams by adding Boise State, Fresno State and a 12th team to round it out, perhaps something like Nevada or UTEP.

The BCS would have to take notice of a conference with that many strong programs.

Daddy D 11
12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
It would kill the WAC though. They will never let Boise leave because it would ruin them LOL

shamu85
12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
The problem is they are not a BCS conference. That is why I think TCU would be interested.

ziggy29
12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
It would kill the WAC though. They will never let Boise leave because it would ruin them LOL
The question is: Does the WAC have any say as to whether Boise leaves? There might be a contractual obligation for a certain number of years, but at some point I'd think Boise has to be free to do what it wants.

And yes, the MWC isn't a BCS automatic qualifier, but given the strength of existing MWC programs like TCU, Utah and BYU, if they expanded to 12 and added Boise and Fresno it would be hard to continue to justify NOT giving the MWC full BCS automatic qualifier status.

NastySlot
12-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
I think TCU is in a good conference already. They are just as good as the Big East. The Mountain West put four or five teams in bowls. There has been talk of bringing Boise in as well.

the MWC is a very good conference....but being in western times zones....the media and college football fans don't always give the teams their due............that is why this conference plays on thursday and sometimes friday nights (espn)....biggest chance to showcase.

thats a good idea to add teams..

Spread It Out
12-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Why not move Iowa State to the Big Ten and TCU into their spot in the Big 12? :thinking: It just sounds awkward to say Iowa State in the Big 12, IMO.