PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A district in the state...

injuredinmelee
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
... any arguments?

WOS87
12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm holding out until I see how you guys fare against the likes of Gilmer, Carthage or La Grange...

West Texas doesn't have the best record against East Texas teams in the 3A Finals historically (Vernon over Crockett in '90 was the last and only win in 40 years I believe)

RMAC
12-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
I'm holding out until I see how you guys fare against the likes of Gilmer, Carthage or La Grange...

West Texas doesn't have the best record against East Texas teams in the 3A Finals historically (Vernon over Crockett in '90 was the last and only win in 40 years I believe)

I don't know about other folks, but calling Abilene "West Texas is a pretty big stretch, I think. Its like 500 miles to El Paso from Abilene, so that means only 300 or so going east. Shouldn't there be something in between there? Graham is North Texas for sure.

WOS87
12-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
I don't know about other folks, but calling Abilene "West Texas is a pretty big stretch, I think. Its like 500 miles to El Paso from Abilene, so that means only 300 or so going east. Shouldn't there be something in between there? Graham is North Texas for sure.

Okay... Substitute "West Texas" for ALL Region I teams west of I-35 over the past 40 years. The stat remains the same.

And before someone tries to argue that Southlake is west of I-35 East, I mean west of I-35 and I-35 West where it forks through Fort Worth.

:rolleyes:

Good luck though!!

:)

WOS87
12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
...and after polling about 50 people at the current Christmas party I'm attending here in Houston (while surfing on my laptop) there is 100% consensus that they all think of Abilene as "West Texas" by the way.

I know that doesn't necessarily mean the people of Abilene feel that way. What part of the state do people from Abilene consider themselves a part of if not West Texas? I've asked the same question about Vernon and no one has been able to give me a definitive answer.

ccmom
12-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I was born and raised here in Abilene and I have always considered it West Texas.

Pendragon13
12-12-2009, 12:59 AM

West Texas doesn't have the best record against East Texas teams in the 3A Finals historically (Vernon over Crockett in '90 was the last and only win in 40 years I believe) Are Gilmer, Carthage and La grange in the same district? He said "best district" not best teams....which is still TBD.;)

WOS87
12-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Are Gilmer, Carthage and La grange in the same district? He said "best district" not best teams....which is still TBD.;)

Well if Carthage (or La Grange) and Gilmer were to win by 30+ points each which IMO is a possibility, I'd say there were better 2nd or even 3rd place teams in those districts and they would get my vote.

;)

By the same logic do you think the three 31-5A teams (Harlingen, PSJA North and Edinburg North) that made it all of the way to the final 16 in 5A and subsequently got destroyed by SA and Austin teams makes 31-5A the best district in 5A?

I'm sorry... I'll admit 2-3A has been quite successful this year and I give you guys props! I'm just being the devil's advocate here... :)

Pendragon13
12-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Well if Carthage (or La Grange) and Gilmer were to win by 30+ points each which IMO is a possibility, I'd say there were better 2nd or even 3rd place teams in those districts and they would get my vote.

;)

By the same logic do you think the three 31-5A teams (Harlingen, PSJA North and Edinburg North) that made it all of the way to the final 16 in 5A and subsequently got destroyed by SA and Austin teams makes 31-5A the best district in 5A? Other than Gilmer and Carthage, how many 17-3A or 18-3A teams survived past November?;) Once again...a weak district may have a juggernaut at the top but that doesn't make the rest of the district stronger by association. I honestly believe the 2-3A 4th place team (Snyder) would have done some damage in the playoffs...and they had the same or better record than a few early round teams.

WOS87
12-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Other than Gilmer and Carthage, how many 17-3A or 18-3A teams survived past November?;)

None... what does that mean though? How many 2-3A teams have played Gilmer or Carthage closer than 3 TD's yet (as have other members of 17-3A and 18-3A)...

None

Pendragon13
12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
None... what does that mean though? How many 2-3A teams have played Gilmer or Carthage closer than 3 TD's yet...

None I don't think any 2-3A teams have played Gilmer or Carthage yet (that I know of)...Wylie's last crack at Gilmer 2 years ago came down to the wire and was a comeback win for the Buckeyes.

WOS87
12-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Honestly... I wish the best for all involved in the games and AGAIN, 2-3A is close to equalling what 9-3A did last year. If Graham and Wylie BOTH win you will surpass it. Awesome job this year no matter what happens.

Wish I could be there for the games but it would be quite a drive for me.

grahampaw
12-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Lets rename the all district 2-3a team, the All State team with an *

squid
12-12-2009, 09:10 AM
a few years ago some beauracrat or travelers association decided to put Abilene in 'West Central Texas'. Alot of media outlets still run with that. Fort Worth used to use the slogan 'Where the west begins'. Most folks here say West Texas.

And El Paso is closer to Phoenix than us anyway......:rolleyes:

Rustler
12-12-2009, 09:17 AM
...and after polling about 50 people at the current Christmas party I'm attending here in Houston (while surfing on my laptop) there is 100% consensus that they all think of Abilene as "West Texas" by the way.

I know that doesn't necessarily mean the people of Abilene feel that way. What part of the state do people from Abilene consider themselves a part of if not West Texas? I've asked the same question about Vernon and no one has been able to give me a definitive answer.

West Texas, Where the people are proud, say Hello to their neighbors and most of all Believe in "One Nation Under God".

turbostud
12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
By the same logic do you think the three 31-5A teams (Harlingen, PSJA North and Edinburg North) that made it all of the way to the final 16 in 5A and subsequently got destroyed by SA and Austin teams makes 31-5A the best district in 5A?

I dont think anyone would think that, but on a side note, that district was picked as the worst 5A district in the state this year at the beginning of the year by (I think) texashsfootball.

injuredinmelee
12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Rustler
West Texas, Where the people are proud, say Hello to their neighbors and most of all Believe in "One Nation Under God".

amen district brother...

Footballhudini
12-12-2009, 09:55 AM
d32 is by far the toughest district

N4SIR
12-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Rustler
West Texas, Where the people are proud, say Hello to their neighbors and most of all Believe in "One Nation Under God". A big AMEN to that, but I think that would apply to most of TEXAS. Proud to be an American but thankful most of all God made me a Texan. Good people, good food and the coutnry's best high school football bar none!!!

Pudlugger
12-12-2009, 10:04 AM
D25. Bellville was 4th and Smithville 5th. Both those teams would likely have advanced at least a round in the playoffs. Sealy lost to eventual semi-finalist Cuero and Giddings got mugged by a hot Brookshire Royal team surprising everyone in round one. La Grange was 3rd in district and playing the D2 semi-final tonight. Got to give D25 some props.

NastySlot
12-12-2009, 11:50 AM

idk about others...but i've always thought of anything west of ft. worth west texas.

Rocket
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Not to mention that District 2-3A had 3 Co-Champions and a strong favorite to win it all next season (Brownwood).

Daddy D 11
12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Not to mention that District 2-3A had 3 Co-Champions and a strong favorite to win it all next season (Brownwood).

Indeed.

wimbo_pro
12-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I know the city of Abilene calls itself West Texas...so I guess we should too.

WildTexan972
12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Other than Gilmer and Carthage, how many 17-3A or 18-3A teams survived past November?;) Once again...a weak district may have a juggernaut at the top but that doesn't make the rest of the district stronger by association. I honestly believe the 2-3A 4th place team (Snyder) would have done some damage in the playoffs...and they had the same or better record than a few early round teams.

sure Snyder could have done "some damage" in the playoffs....when all ya gotta play is those weak Region 1 teams you always have a shot at winning...

Spread It Out
12-12-2009, 05:01 PM

You get more and more dumb each time you post.:rolleyes:

Rocket
12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Spread It Out
You get more and more dumb each time you post.:rolleyes:

What I stated is a fact, you moron.

Keith7
12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Okay... Substitute "West Texas" for ALL Region I teams west of I-35 over the past 40 years. The stat remains the same.

And before someone tries to argue that Southlake is west of I-35 East, I mean west of I-35 and I-35 West where it forks through Fort Worth.

:rolleyes:

Good luck though!!

:)

No wonder Gainesville got better this year, their new high school is west of I-35

WildTexan972
12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
the only moron in the state that thinks brownwood is a favorite to win anything next year is Racket....

in his weak mind they have been the favorite for 2 years and so far only have 1 playoff trip to show for it....

crabman
12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Cuero's games against Yoakum and Edna were tougher than anything we ran across in the playoffs up until the Gilmer game. The top 3 in District 28 were tough. The next 3 were laughable.

lulu
12-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Cuero is the real deal for sure.

WOS87
12-12-2009, 10:51 PM
How many 2-3A teams have played Gilmer or Carthage closer than 3 TD's yet (as have other members of 17-3A and 18-3A)...

None

Okay Wylie, you beat the spread!! :D

Congrats on a great season and a great decade!

lulu
12-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Wiley played a full game and never quit.

turbostud
12-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
the only moron in the state that thinks brownwood is a favorite to win anything next year is Racket....

in his weak mind they have been the favorite for 2 years and so far only have 1 playoff trip to show for it....

But he sure knows how to ride the coat tails of Graham and Wylie, the real teams of that district.

Spread It Out
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
What I stated is a fact, you moron.

I think you've got FACT and OPINION mixed up. Obviously being a favorite in your eyes doesn't mean $h!t because they've been yours to win it since y'all have been in 3A and you've only made one trip to the playoffs.

BTW-- You have to actually advance to the playoffs to win a state championship. <-- That's a FACT.