View Full Version : #18 Gatesville Hornets

Matthew328
06-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Gatesville Hornets
School Colors: Black, gold and white
Last Year: 9-3 Regional Semi-Finalist
Starters Returning: 7 offense 6 defense
Key Players: DE Michael MacDonald, TB LaShon Thayer, WR Preston Taylor

Matthew328's Outlook: The Hornets in hindsight would consider 2001 successful...after winning the state tittle in 2000 with a senior dominated line up many observers predicted a long year...but Gatesville showed championship heart in winning the district tittle and winning a playoff game..now with 13 total starters back big things could be in store for Gatesville...the number one concern is replacing 3 year starter at QB Matt Mooney...Chris Fadal will get his shot after backing Mooney up for 2 seasons...he will have Taylor another 3 year starter to throw the ball too..Taylor missed the last 6 games last year and will be a big weapon...Gatesville used running back by committee last year and Thayer stepped up and became the go to guy....he had over 1100 yards last year as a sophmore....MacDonald leads an always stingy defense along with fellow all-district linebacker Amos Phillips...Gatesville is a threat to make a lot of noise in Division 1 and they could be the biggest challenge that a certian 4A team moving down could have in that region...

Old Cardinal
06-25-2002, 05:08 PM
I respectively disagree about Gatesville having a chance. Last year all the hoopla about Gatesville- and a Mexia team put them out early. If they get by Cameron Yoe, Jasper will smash them by at least 4 touchdowns. If I were looking for a darkhorse, I would say Barber's Hill, only because of Carrington's excellent speed; they could upset just about anyone with a few long touchdowns. I don't think Gatesville is any better staffed than last year.

Matthew328
06-26-2002, 02:38 AM
You could be right..but one thing to remember about Gatesville is that before Taylor went out in Game 6 their offense started to really turn it on..when he went out so did their balance thus they struggled with a very young backfield that didn't even have a junior in it..they were soph's and freshman....I think a year of experience is gonna be huge for them....the Gatesville D was fine last year I look for it to be even better...but honestly I dunno if anyone will be able to contend with Jasper in Region 3...

cl8114
06-27-2002, 01:10 PM
I don't really remember there being hopla over Gatesville last year. I don't even think they were supposed to make the playoffs. They were really young and they did great making it two deep and they almost beat Mexia. Gatesville is going to be pretty talented this year. Chris Fadal at QB is a big kid who is only a junior and has been on Varsity two years and has experienced a state championship year, Lashon Thayer is another big junior who has proven himself at running back. Preston Taylor missed half the season last year he is a big threat at receiver. His brother Phillip is a sophmore who has big talent in the defensive backfield. Amos Phillips and Micheal McDonald should have the swarm going on the always talented and fast defense. If Gatesville can get past there first four weeks they will be ready to play anybody. They open with Alvarado, then Burnet, Cameron, and then open district against Hillsboro. I think that the Hornet will live up to Dave's #23 and your #18 Matt.

dab
07-03-2002, 01:21 PM
I think people are under estimating Gatesville this year. I look for the Hornets to go deeper in the playoffs than last season. I beleive it will take a really good team to knock them out of the playoffs. As far as district, if they get past Hillsboro they should be OK. They do have one of the toughest non-district schedules though. They have to play 4A Alvarado, Burnet and Cameron in their non-district games. Not to mention scrimages against Marlin and Groesbeck.

Clyde12
07-06-2002, 02:10 PM
I would agree that Gatesville is one of the state's top teams, and they will be a playoff team. However, they have their work cut out. A 2-2 record after their first 4 would be considered successful. The district is weaker than it has been, thanks to the likes of West, Whitney (worst program ever, an absolute embarrassment), and a down Robinson. That leaves unpredictable and under-achieving LaVega, rising and youthful Connally, China Spring, and Hillsboro. the latter 2 and Gatesville should reach the playoffs. Connally would be the darkhorse to gain the 3rd spot. After that, a possible rematch with Cameron and then Jasper. Gatesville could field the 3rd best team in school history, and finish 8-4 or 7-5. Playoffs are now expected each year at Gatesville, but a possible Jasper matchup would loom large in 2nd round. I believe Gatesville would compete, but overall talent from an already playoff tested 4A program may be too much to overcome.