PDA

View Full Version : College Football Playoffs vs BCS System

playnhurt
12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
For all of you pro-college football playoff fans that want to replace the BCS system. Please share your ideas on how you would design a college playoff system.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
For all of you pro-college football playoff fans that want to replace the BCS system. Please share your ideas on how you would design a college playoff system.

Like was on yahoo other day

16 team tourney..11 conf champs 5 at large..higher seed gets homefield until the semi-finals

boom done and done

Emerson1
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
But finals! Will somebody PLEASE think of the childrens!?!?!?!?!

Black_Magic
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Like was on yahoo other day

16 team tourney..11 conf champs 5 at large..higher seed gets homefield until the semi-finals

boom done and done NOT GOOD. Some conf are not half what others are. agreed you need a playoff but you dont base it off conf championship. NO automatics. Take the Top 8 from BCS computers and seed them and play it out over 3 weeks.

playnhurt
12-11-2009, 02:51 PM
TxBroadcaster

How do you determine which 5 at-large teams go? Would Army, Navy, and Notre Dame be required to join a conference or just take their chances on being an at-large team?

As far as conference champions getting an automatic bid if I'm South Carolina, Ole Miss, Baylor, Colorado, etc., I'm going to be looking to find a weaker conference to get into.

Also, what determines the seeding? A poll? Which one? The polls aren't in agreement with each other now.

My point is that people have been b1tching about their team being left out and that it is not fair and no matter what kind of system you come up with people are going to continue to b!tch about it not being fair to their team.

The complaint about the BCS is that it is not fair. A playoff system
would have the same results. You can't please them all!

Buckeye1980
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black_Magic
NOT GOOD. Some conf are not half what others are. agreed you need a playoff but you dont base it off conf championship. NO automatics. Take the Top 8 from BCS computers and seed them and play it out over 3 weeks. [

Why not use conf championsips? Basketball and baseball does. If you use BCS computers , all the teams would be from SEC< Big 12, Big 10 and PAC 10, SAME problem you have now

NastySlot
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
NOT GOOD. Some conf are not half what others are. agreed you need a playoff but you dont base it off conf championship. NO automatics. Take the Top 8 from BCS computers and seed them and play it out over 3 weeks.

my plan would only include the conference champions only....and first round games would be conference championships and conferences that don't have them would be matched up: ex PAC10v.WAC MWC v. Big10..........that might force them to expand and/or get championship games..................this might still allow for bowls.

schools then might start to schedule tougher non conference games with out the fear of dropping in rankings........ex:
lets say texas plays........LSU, USC and Houston.....and goes 0-3 or 1-2 wins their division and the championship game....they make the playoffs.......no penalty for tough schedule. this is sorta how the old bowl system pre BCS worked.

the polls and computers could rank the teams after the first round...that way tv could still give us an hour plus of drama about who will be the highest ranked team, where and who will they play.

i know there would need to be some adjusting of conferences etc...but i don't like at large...cause you get people left out and and schools still schedule gimme games.

non-conference winners go to bowl games.......coaches get extra practice time and players still get their gifts from the bowls.

i know basketball has more teams buts its a tournament....not really a playoff.....hottest team usually wins.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
TxBroadcaster

How do you determine which 5 at-large teams go? Would Army, Navy, and Notre Dame be required to join a conference or just take their chances on being an at-large team?

As far as conference champions getting an automatic bid if I'm South Carolina, Ole Miss, Baylor, Colorado, etc., I'm going to be looking to find a weaker conference to get into.

Also, what determines the seeding? A poll? Which one? The polls aren't in agreement with each other now.

My point is that people have been b1tching about their team being left out and that it is not fair and no matter what kind of system you come up with people are going to continue to b!tch about it not being fair to their team.

The complaint about the BCS is that it is not fair. A playoff system
would have the same results. You can't please them all!

sorry but this is BS...No one complains that the basketball tourney is not fair..yes teams get left out all the time but I have NEVER heard someone say

oh man that team got left out of the NCAA basketball tourney..I know what we should do..lets decide the national title with ONE game that the polls decide.

As far as conference strengths

the ONLY way I think you keep the integrity of it all is to inviye every conference Champion...and no teams wont jump to a smaller "weaker" conference that is a red herring BCS lovers try to throw out

you do it with 11 auto the other 5 teams will be decided JUST like the basketball is...SOS, RPI and poll

now think about that...Texas and OU would now have to say lets schedule an Alabama or a Florida or a USC so that way if we beat them but lose the conference title we can keep our RPI up so we still get in

dawg4life
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok. Ill give it a shot. 6 BCS conference winners and the non-BCS conference winner with the highest BCS ranking (TCU in this case) will get an automatic bid.

thats 7. To determine the 8th playoff spot, the other 4 conferences (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, C-USA in this case) will have a mini playoff to determine the 8th spot. Highest BCS ranking vs. the lowest. EX

Boise state vs Troy

East Carolina vs. Central Michigan.

Winner plays each other for the last spot.

For argument sake, lets say its Boise State. then the highest BCS ranking will play the lowest again. Even if a Non-BCS conference has a higher BCS ranking than a BCS conference.

So this season:

Alabama vs Georgia Tech- Orange Bowl
Texas vs. Ohio State- Sugar Bowl
Cinci vs. Oregon- Rose Bowl
TCU vs Boise State- Fiesta Bowl

Play each game in the Big bowls and rotate each year.

Semi's- Orange Bowl
Semi's- Sugar Bowl

NC- Rose Bowl

And you let every other team play their bowls.

The main thing wrong with this that it will take 2 weeks just to set up the final 8 teams and the NC could be as late as mid January. I dont think anyone will do this, but im sick of people who complain about things but dont do a thing to fix em.

Daddy D 11
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
No pre-season rankings.
Rankings come out halfway through the year.
That allows teams that would be ranked low to have a chance to prove themselves before rankings come out.
Top 16 teams go on. No exceptions.
Higher ranked team hosts.
Final four at one site.
National Title game at another.

jason
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
keep the poll system like it is...

top 15 get in, and are seeded accordingly, let #16 play #17 to see who gets last spot, that way the 'last team out' can't say they got snubbed....

seed them accordingly and let higher seed host games except for national championship...

Daddy D 11
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
If the poll systems stay the same then you'll have the argument that "we" started too low in the polls and didn't have a chance to move up. That's why I like not having anything until like week 6. That way people have proven if they are worthy or have proven they are overrated.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I still think rankings and such should decide the at large..let conference champion decide the auto bids..works well in EVERY OTHER NCAA sport should work well in D1 football

NastySlot
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
why does there need to be at large teams?

Conference champions. champions...used to mean something.

dawg4life
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

Some Conferences are more equal than others

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

higher seed getting to stay at home IMO gives u something to play for

I think 5 at large bids is fair..and also why NOT want an etra week of playoff football?!?!

big daddy russ
12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
sorry but this is BS...No one complains that the basketball tourney is not fair..yes teams get left out all the time but I have NEVER heard someone say

oh man that team got left out of the NCAA basketball tourney..I know what we should do..lets decide the national title with ONE game that the polls decide.
I call BS on March Madness. Before it went to 64 there was plenty of whining. Remember?

Football playoffs will be no different. Eventually, it'll expand to a 64-team playoff just like the March Madness has done. Come to think of it, 64 teams will be playing in Bowl games this year. If anyone thinks that playoffs will make the world happy, they're sadly mistaken. It's basically a way for your team to have a shot.

I've been let down by the BCS more than anyone on this board (Auburn 2004) and have MUCH more reason to gripe than anyone else, but I don't. Believe it or not, I actually don't mind it for now. Why? Because we actually get to see the two (or at least two of the three) best teams go at it every year. Sure, there are some letdowns, some holiday hangovers, and some duds thrown out after a month off (cough, Oklahoma/Ohio State, cough), but that's more a scheduling issue IMO than us not seeing the two best teams.

So I'll take this system over whatever crazy idea is being called "the next great thing" at the moment. At least until I hear an actual working plan.

cshscougar08
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
A playoff system is the ideal way to see the best team win a national championship. Unfortunately, at the college level, there are many more factors that play in that do not play in in the NFL. One, NFL players play for a living. College players do not. That in itself is the biggest problem. It makes the season longer and causes college athletes to be involved a heck of a lot longer than originally intended. Another is the bowl system. What happens with that with a playoff. Then there is the slot all the bowls and BCS is in now. It's right at the end of the NFL season where it will be the biggest thing on TV. The NFL playoffs start the weekend after the national championship making IT the biggest thing on TV. NO TV network wants to be competing for viewers between two sets of playoffs.

A playoff would be great. But the BCS isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure there are faults. Nothing is perfect. But it gets it right most of the time.

Emerson1
12-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
A playoff system is the ideal way to see the best team win a national championship. Unfortunately, at the college level, there are many more factors that play in that do not play in in the NFL. One, NFL players play for a living. College players do not. That in itself is the biggest problem. It makes the season longer and causes college athletes to be involved a heck of a lot longer than originally intended. Another is the bowl system. What happens with that with a playoff. Then there is the slot all the bowls and BCS is in now. It's right at the end of the NFL season where it will be the biggest thing on TV. The NFL playoffs start the weekend after the national championship making IT the biggest thing on TV. NO TV network wants to be competing for viewers between two sets of playoffs.

A playoff would be great. But the BCS isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure there are faults. Nothing is perfect. But it gets it right most of the time.
Eh. No.

Start playoffs this week and you are done the same week the NC game would be as it is now. I'm sure ESPN and ABC would have no problem picking the games up.

Only takes 4 rounds for a 16 team playoff. Be done before NFL starts

OldBison75
12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I like the idea of the conference champions from all 6 BCS Conference being automatically in. I think that the next ten should be determined by the next ten highest ranked teams in the BCS poll as it is now. This would allow the independents and the conference runner-up to have a shot at the playoffs. It is also a chance for the smaller conferences to make the show. In the best case scenerio, the top 16 ranked teams would be in the playoffs. Very seldom is a BCS Conference Champ not ranked in the top 16.

The other interesting thing abou this scenerio is that a single conference could have three or four teams in the playoffs if they are strong.

The six Conference Champs and the nest two highest ranked teams are hosts for the first round. The second round would be the Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Gator Bowl and Fiesta Bowl.
The following week the semi-finals would be played with one game in the Rose Bowl and the other in the Orange Bowl. Then the BCS could accept bids for the Championship game and set the location 5 years in advance based on the bids. I think it would also be in the best interest of the BCS that all of the money earned in all of the playoff games, be equally divided between all sixteen teams after expenses (equaly shares regardless of results). This kind of financial incentive will encourage many teams to play toughter schedules to have a chance of making the playoffs.